Cimini: Bart Scott "All In"

flgreen

Bart Scott says he's 'all in'

April, 3, 2012

Apr 3

10:36

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Now Bart Scott can't wait to get back to work with the Jets.

Confirming what Rex Ryan indicated last week at the NFL meetings, the veteran linebacker said Tuesday night his issues with the coaching staff have been resolved and he expects to be with the team in the coming season.

"Of course I'm excited," he told Bruce Beck of 4 NBC New York at an event in Manhattan. "I came here (in 2009) and I bought the lakefront property. I was all in. I'm still all in."

This marked Scott's first comments to the news media this offseason. Previously, he was last seen leaving the locker room the day after the season ended, flipping off a photographer -- a gesture that resulted in a $10,000 fine from the team.

Scott confirmed he was frustrated last season in a reduced role. He said there was a "communication" problem with the coaches, adding he and Ryan "had a great talk and we ironed some things out ... I'm comfortable with my place and my role on the team. I look forward to having a great, bounce-back year as an organization and as a team."

Scott said he'll be go back to his old role, which he described this way: "I made a career of jumping on grenades for other guys and I plan to continue to do that because that's what I do best."

He was so disenchanted with his role that his agent met with the Jets at the scouting combine in February, and the two sides discussed a possible trade. Privately, Scott told friends he didn't expect to return. But he was hard to trade because he has three years remaining on his contract and is due a guaranteed $4.2 million in 2012.

At the league meetings, Ryan told reporters he expected Scott to be back. He also revealed that Scott had dropped weight, which should help his chances of becoming an every-down linebacker again. Scott he's "back to my fighting weight. It's the first time I've met abs five and six, and I'm excited."

Scott also said the Jets' locker room "wasn't that fractured," blaming the media for blowing the problems out of proportion. He also blamed the media for trying to poison the Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic.

"I know it's going to work, I'm 100 percent confident," he said. "All the experts, they don't understand. They assume what our locker room was like, but they don't know. It's the same locker room that had success the year before and the year before."

Good. I am not in the "I hate Scott camp" We had a tough year. There are lots of reasons for that. It wasn't as bad as most people made it out to be and I am looking forward to vindication this season. We add legit pass rusher and FS in the draft and I like our chances of having an great year.

I think the BS that has surrounded us since the end of the season causes the guys to bond together with an us against the world attitutude and we come out swinging.

Good. I am not in the "I hate Scott camp" We had a tough year. There are lots of reasons for that. It wasn't as bad as most people made it out to be and I am looking forward to vindication this season. We add legit pass rusher and FS in the draft and I like our chances of having an great year.

I think the BS that has surrounded us since the end of the season causes the guys to bond together with an us against the world attitutude and we come out swinging.

I don't hate Scott at all. I love his leadership and he brought a new attitude in immediately. I just think we overpaid the guy for what he does.

I don't hate Scott at all. I love his leadership and he brought a new attitude in immediately. I just think we overpaid the guy for what he does.

Sure, but that is unchageable. We got excited and over paid for somone Rex considered indispensable to what he was trying to accomplish here. It worked.

Like you said he brought an attitude here that we did not possess. For all of his talent, harris could not bring that. Pace does not bring that. BT also does not bring that. Our LB group, which really was above average, was a quiet bunch. Scott changed that and lit a fire under the team to believe we were the best. I am actually saddened by how quickly everyone wants to call him a scrub and that he should get out of town.

How quickly we forget what it's been like to be a Jets fan.

Scott said something about jumping on grenades for other guys. That is what you want on your team. Guys that are willing to take on the block so others can make the play. If everyone wants the glory, none will have it. You need road grater types. Scott is that. I am happy to hear he slimmed down and if he plays like he did his first year here, we will forget all about the $4 mil.

Sure, but that is unchageable. We got excited and over paid for somone Rex considered indispensable to what he was trying to accomplish here. It worked.

Like you said he brought an attitude here that we did not possess. For all of his talent, harris could not bring that. Pace does not bring that. BT also does not bring that. Our LB group, which really was above average, was a quiet bunch. Scott changed that and lit a fire under the team to believe we were the best. I am actually saddened by how quickly everyone wants to call him a scrub and that he should get out of town.

Scott said something about jumping on grenades for other guys. That is what you want on your team. Guys that are willing to take on the block so others can make the play. If everyone wants the glory, none will have it. You need road grater types. Scott is that. I am happy to hear he slimmed down and if he plays like he did his first year here, we will forget all about the $4 mil.

No doubt. The guy is blue collar, worked 110% for every snap he's had a chance to play in this league.

In a cap league Scott is very well-paid. He did not produce. All fine and good to talk about road grading or leadrship or somethirng.

Bart Scott doens't tackle anyone, and as an inside LB that's a crime. He doesn't cover the TE or backs going over the middle,which is why he was out of the game on passing downs. It's not hate, he is a liability because of said lack of production and his salary precluding paying other more productive players. If you want to call stating those simple facts hate, that's your problem.

THIS IDEA IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF BULLsh*t MEME ON THIS SITE.

"Intangibles" are what people talk about when they offer little else. If it's about intangibles we should draft more boar hunters, right? it would be more pleasant tio go to work when the people there are pleasant and helpful, but that's mostly window dressing. Reality is a team of Ray Lewises and Ty Cobbs despite being productive bad guys is going to beat the balls off a team filled unproductivwe wonderful people with Mother Theresas and Albert Schweitzers. The Jets had a cancer survivor as backup center in camp last summer named Robbie Felix. Having survived such an awful experience I would guess Robbie Felix is probably a very good person. But when he couldn't do the job when Mangold got hurt, Robbie Felix got cut.

Let's be clear about this-the Jets sucked last year because well paid players like Hunter, Scott, Sanchez ,Holmes, et al failed to perform. If Jim Leonhard makes a tackle in Denver or Sanchez drives the field vs. the Giants or anyone tackled Victor Cruz, the Jets make the playoffs and idiots like Steve Serby are writing sonnets about good chemistry and character guys and all that BULLsh*t.

The next IMBECILE here that uses chemistry or intangibles or character or leadership some other such nonsense to tolerrate or excuse unproductive suckitude on stilts gets on my sh*t list permanently. I will mock you mercilessly. And you will deserve it.

Case in point-Santonio Holems is very likely not a wonderful human being. If however in 2012 Santonio Holmes catches 95 passe for 1400 yards and 16 TDS we will all love him again. If Scott wishes to get some credit, TACKLE SOMEONE YOU FREAKING STIFF. And until then do us all a favoR and STFU.

In a cap league Scott is very well-paid. He did not produce. All fine and good to talk about road grading or leadrship or somethirng.

Bart Scott doens't tackle anyone, and as an inside LB that's a crime. He doesn't cover the TE or backs going over the middle,which is why he was out of the game on passing downs. It's not hate, he is a liability because of said lack of production and his salary precluding paying other more productive players. If you want to call stating those simple facts hate, that's your problem.

"Intangibles" are what people talk about when they offer little else. If it's about intangibles we should draft more boar hunters, right? it would be more pleasant tio go to work when the people there are pleasant and helpful, but that's mostly window dressing. Reality is a team of Ray Lewises and Ty Cobbs despite being productive bad guys is going to beat the balls off a team filled unproductivwe wonderful people with Mother Theresas and Albert Schweitzers. The Jets had a cancer survivor as backup center in camp last summer named Robbie Felix. Having survived such an awful experience I would guess Robbie Felix is probably a very good person. But when he couldn't do the job when Mangold got hurt, Robbie Felix got cut.

Let's be clear about this-the Jets sucked last year because well paid players like Hunter, Scott, Sanchez ,Holmes, et al failed to perform. If Jim Leonhard makes a tackle in Denver or Sanchez drives the field vs. the Giants or anyone tackled Victor Cruz, the Jets make the playoffs and idiots like Steve Serby are writing sonnets about good chemistry and character guys and all that BULLsh*t.

The next IMBECILE here that uses chemistry or intangibles or character or leadership some other such nonsense to tolerrate or excuse unproductive suckitude on stilts gets on my sh*t list permanently. I will mock you mercilessly. And you will deserve it.

Case in point-Santonio Holems is very likely not a wonderful human being. If however in 2012 Santonio Holmes catches 95 passe for 1400 yards and 16 TDS we will all love him again. If Scott wishes to get some credit, TACKLE SOMEONE YOU FREAKING STIFF. And until then do us all a favoR and STFU.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/bart-scott-the-art-of-linebacking-beyond-the-tackle/

Sometimes your posts are a bit long and repetitious. It's your intangibles that make you a great poster....

readily understand that tackling can be an overrated statistic, that some inside defenders are more likley to take on blocks than be able to run free. but that article details Scott's 2nd season here. And my eyeballs did not decieve me; he stopped NOBODY in 2011, and he coulnd't even get on the field for passing downs because even the CS thought he sucked. I would like nothing better than to see Scott earn his $4 million and then some in 2012. He didn't in 2011.

I'm deathly afraid of this scenario.

Agreed. The dude was awesome in 09 and 10. If he can return to form, the Jets are a better team for it. The guy was a beast for this team. Helped change the culture. The Jets will have an 11 or 12 win season, the defense will be lights out and Scott will play a huge factor in their success.

I don't hate him. I like him, he's entertaining.

That said, he's not very valuable. He's a one-dimensional player, he stops the run, but he still got absolutely trucked by Mendenhall in the playoffs a week after his infamous "Can't Wait" spectacle. If he was as big an asset in the locker room as you insinuate here... where was he last year? I don't get the sense that he'd fall on a grenade for the offense, just the defense... and nobody needs him to fall on grenades, we need him to play LB better.

That said, he's not very valuable. He's a one-dimensional player, he stops the run, but he still got absolutely trucked by Mendenhall in the playoffs a week after his infamous "Can't Wait" spectacle. If he was as big an asset in the locker room as you insinuate here... where was he last year? I don't get the sense that he'd fall on a grenade for the offense, just the defense... and nobody needs him to fall on grenades, we need him to play LB better.

He was one of the best LB'ers in the league during 09 and 10. What he did in 10 considering his role, was nothing short of incredible. He had a down year last year. The team did. Hopefully he bounces back. The Jets need him.

He was one of the best LB'ers in the league during 09 and 10. What he did in 10 considering his role, was nothing short of incredible. He had a down year last year. The team did. Hopefully he bounces back. The Jets need him.

There's no question we need him. I was just stating why I don't personally over-value him. Then again, I don't over-value any Jets players... I'm a sum of the parts type.

Value. I always love the value conversations. Truth be told, maybe I don't understand it. It's like in the draft. Gholston was a higher value at 6 than Mayo who was considered a reach at the time. We all know how that turned out. Value is over rated in that regard.

Scott had a bad year just like everybody else did on the Jets last season. he's a question mark right now understandably, but to say that a guy who takes on the block has no value is inaccurate IMO. I love those guys. Scott may in fact be done. I don't know, but to say that after one off season is not what I'm about to do. I'm rooting for him to make an impact this season and the fact that he's dropping weight is a good sign. Maybe harris should follow suit.

Jumping on a grenade for the offense is unnecessary for Scott. He needs to jump on them when he's on the field which is on defense. I also don't need Mark Sanchez to take blocks for the D. I'm weird like that.

Pouha got run over in Pitt that week too ya know. As did everyone else on D for that matter. Tough first half where the Pitt offense had a little bit more trouble scoring in the second half.

Agreed. The dude was awesome in 09 and 10. If he can return to form, the Jets are a better team for it. The guy was a beast for this team. Helped change the culture. The Jets will have an 11 or 12 win season, the defense will be lights out and Scott will play a huge factor in their success.

HERE HERE!!!!

Value. I always love the value conversations. Truth be told, maybe I don't understand it. It's like in the draft. Gholston was a higher value at 6 than Mayo who was considered a reach at the time. We all know how that turned out. Value is over rated in that regard.

Scott had a bad year just like everybody else did on the Jets last season. he's a question mark right now understandably, but to say that a guy who takes on the block has no value is inaccurate IMO. I love those guys. Scott may in fact be done. I don't know, but to say that after one off season is not what I'm about to do. I'm rooting for him to make an impact this season and the fact that he's dropping weight is a good sign. Maybe harris should follow suit.

Jumping on a grenade for the offense is unnecessary for Scott. He needs to jump on them when he's on the field which is on defense. I also don't need Mark Sanchez to take blocks for the D. I'm weird like that.

Pouha got run over in Pitt that week too ya know. As did everyone else on D for that matter. Tough first half where the Pitt offense had a little bit more trouble scoring in the second half.

Under the cap with his 2011 production and a $4 million salary Scott has practically no value.

Good, he's only going to just be turning 32. Maybe this is a wake up call and he comes into camp revived, in better shape and ready to play. Always thought he was overrated but it's not like he's a detriment to the team or should be considered a hole in the Defense if in shape with his head on straight.

Sure Pouha got run over - but nobody is turning up the volume up on Pouha's value as a locker room guy to over-compensate for his shortcomings on the field. Which was what I felt you were doing for Scott, talking up his locker room presence in light of his weak play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Scott is back. When I talk about how I don't "value" this guy or that guy, I'm not talking about it from the standpoint of what they are worth vs. other players. So your Gholston reference is lost on this discussion, you missed my point. I mean it from the standpoint of I value the team more than the individuals. So I tend to be very callous and disloyal to individual players.

I can't control the personnel, so I choose not to bother falling in love with individuals. I love the team. That's it. So I tend to be callous about how disposable players are... even when losing a good one (like Cotchery) ends up hurting the team. Nothing I can do about it, so why bother sulking?

I pretty much agree with this. Good for at least one more year.

I will be happy to replace him, once there is someone worth replacing him with. But right now, he is good at his job. He is tough, durable, and gives our D a certain demeanor.

Sure Pouha got run over - but nobody is turning up the volume up on Pouha's value as a locker room guy to over-compensate for his shortcomings on the field. Which was what I felt you were doing for Scott, talking up his locker room presence in light of his weak play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Scott is back. When I talk about how I don't "value" this guy or that guy, I'm not talking about it from the standpoint of what they are worth vs. other players. So your Gholston reference is lost on this discussion, you missed my point. I mean it from the standpoint of I value the team more than the individuals. So I tend to be very callous and disloyal to individual players.

I can't control the personnel, so I choose not to bother falling in love with individuals. I love the team. That's it. So I tend to be callous about how disposable players are... even when losing a good one (like Cotchery) ends up hurting the team. Nothing I can do about it, so why bother sulking?

No one is turning up the volume on Pouha's locker room presence because you can't turn up nothing. I'm sure he's fine, but he's not getting anyone pumped up. I like pouha and I like other guys too, but to use the Pitt game as a reason why Scott isn't effective is unfair. The whole team sucked that game in the first half.

The value of someone's locker room presence is diffiuclt to measure. While I do not see it as a reason to overlook poor play, I also don't minimize it's value either. Intangibles man. Those are usually the X factor in what makes a player better than another. The space between these guys is so slim in many cases. They all work out. They all know the game. They all want to win. What makes someone better?

It's like momentum in a game. It's very difficult to measure, but when one team has it, it seems like every friggin bounce goes there way.

Scott is a good solid football player. he does the dirty work (jumping on grenades) like taking on the blocks. He fell off last season and if that continues, his "value" as a guy who rallies the troops will be out weighed. I am simply not in the camp that thinks he sucks because he wasn't great last year. Let's give him a chance to bounce back. He's losing weight which is a good sign I think.

It's hard not to measure value of a player without considering another. If that wasn't the case, how do you consider what would replace him. It's like this. If you have a solid guy waiting in the wings, a player's value is lessened. If there is no one there behind him (the Jets) his value has to be higher. If a GM ignores that he's an idiot. Alla Tanny with the Kendal, lowery, cotchery situations.

I am also team oriented. I like good players on that team. If one has a positive, I like them around. If not, they can go screw. :D

No one is turning up the volume on Pouha's locker room presence because you can't turn up nothing. I'm sure he's fine, but he's not getting anyone pumped up. I like pouha and I like other guys too, but to use the Pitt game as a reason why Scott isn't effective is unfair. The whole team sucked that game in the first half.

The value of someone's locker room presence is diffiuclt to measure. While I do not see it as a reason to overlook poor play, I also don't minimize it's value either. Intangibles man. Those are usually the X factor in what makes a player better than another. The space between these guys is so slim in many cases. They all work out. They all know the game. They all want to win. What makes someone better?

It's like momentum in a game. It's very difficult to measure, but when one team has it, it seems like every friggin bounce goes there way.

Scott is a good solid football player. he does the dirty work (jumping on grenades) like taking on the blocks. He fell off last season and if that continues, his "value" as a guy who rallies the troops will be out weighed. I am simply not in the camp that thinks he sucks because he wasn't great last year. Let's give him a chance to bounce back. He's losing weight which is a good sign I think.

It's hard not to measure value of a player without considering another. If that wasn't the case, how do you consider what would replace him. It's like this. If you have a solid guy waiting in the wings, a player's value is lessened. If there is no one there behind him (the Jets) his value has to be higher. If a GM ignores that he's an idiot. Alla Tanny with the Kendal, lowery, cotchery situations.

I am also team oriented. I like good players on that team. If one has a positive, I like them around. If not, they can go screw. :biggrin:

Great post Bean.

I know we like to make fun of the intangibles, but Gholston is a perfect example. This guy had all the tools in the world. I don't think he loved the game, and it was a BIG paycheck. I didn't like the guy coming out, but I thought with all his natural ability he would at least be a JAG. I was wrong.

There's certain players that just "Want It" more then other guys. Impossible to define, some players just have it.

Great post Bean.

I know we like to make fun of the intangibles, but Gholston is a perfect example. This guy had all the tools in the world. I don't think he loved the game, and it was a BIG paycheck. I didn't like the guy coming out, but I thought with all his natural ability he would at least be a JAG. I was wrong.

There's certain players that just "Want It" more then other guys. Impossible to define, some players just have it.

IMO Scott is one of those players. In his decline maybe, but he's the real deal as far as the x factor goes

Archived