First sports memory

jgb

Bottom of the tenth two outs champagne chilling in the bosox locker room. My old man (SJ) was convinced it was over but we couldn't turn it off. My little brother had been sent to bed hours ago. He was too young to stay up. But wait!Mookie beats out a grounder (error technically)... the rest is history. I was seven years old. When my dad had a health scare a couple yrs ago I bought him a pic autographed by Mookie and Buckner of the famous error. And he recovered just like the amazins had 26 years ago. My First and forever the best sports memory. What's yours?

1994 game 7 eastern conference finals Devils vs Rangers. i dont remember the game so much because i dont care about hockey, but i remember going to my uncles house with my dad to watch the game with his brothers. I was only 6, but it was the first time that i was included as "one of the guys."

My dad is a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan (I gravitated to the Yankees when I was a kid, but they're still my favorite NL team), so my earliest memories are of the Cards, especially the 1982 World Series. As young as I was, I can still remember Ozzie Smith making stellar double plays and backflipping like a ninja shortstop.

ozzie-smith-louis-cardinals-flip-autographed-photograph-hof-inscription-3350596.jpg

Probably watching the Steelers-Cowboys Super Bowl on TV with my dad back in '95. I was 9, and though we had been to other sporting events, I wasn't really an avid sports fan yet. I was rooting for the Steelers, partly because I was young and stupid, and partly because starting QB Neil O'Donnell was from our hometown.

still can't believe The Kid is gone. recommend "The Bad Guys Won" a great history of the Mets '86 season. if you're a mets fan you'll love the behind the scenes story and if you hate the mets you will also love the book because it will confirm what you already know: that team was a bunch of aholes :)

to me the best part of the book is about Carter - the rest of the guys HATED him because he wasn't a drunk bar brawler and never cheated on his wife. that basically sums up that team.

Archived