Quiet Cubbies

vanDoug

Not many are talking about the Cubs this spring. At least not like last spring when they were predicted to win it all with a feared starting rotation and a lot of power.

I like it a lot. Let everbody focus on the NY teams.

Go Cubbies.

d

Our offense has looked impressive in Spring training. I think all Cubs fans are holding their breath for a breakout season by Corey Patterson. Aramis is also on the cusp of being elite and I believe he will break through this year and be mentioned with the Rolens of the world.

SJ, I don't know about Woody. Hopefully, it isn't serious, but then again, this is the Cubs. If our rotation could EVER stay healthy, we'd be a playoff lock every year. As for the closer, things have changed a bit since you asked me before. It looks like it's between Dempster and Joe Borowski. Borowski appears to be the favorite, as he's been back in 2003 form.

Our offense has looked impressive in Spring training. I think all Cubs fans are holding their breath for a breakout season by Corey Patterson. Aramis is also on the cusp of being elite and I believe he will break through this year and be mentioned with the Rolens of the world.

SJ, I don't know about Woody. Hopefully, it isn't serious, but then again, this is the Cubs. If our rotation could EVER stay healthy, we'd be a playoff lock every year. As for the closer, things have changed a bit since you asked me before. It looks like it's between Dempster and Joe Borowski. Borowski appears to be the favorite, as he's been back in 2003 form.

Well I have my auction draft tomorrow and I'd LOVE to land the Cubs closer. If I knew who it was! :roll:

I think all Cubs fans are holding their breath for a breakout season by Corey Patterson.

Borowski appears to be the favorite, as he's been back in 2003 form.

Troll - we're in for trouble if our season rests on either of the aforementioned. I'd love to see Patterson do well but the little dope won't come off of pulling the ball. He wants to be the #3/4 hitter and wont go with the pitch to the opposite field. His bunting skills are par to a 9 year old fresh out of Tee ball. I hang that all on his manager who lets him get away with that crap.

Borowski has the heart of a lion and I love the guy. I just dont want him attempting to close for my team. JoeBo had marginal stuff when his arm was 100%. He has 85-88mph "heat" that doesnt move and a breaking pitch. Thats it. If he's our closer we had better be prepaired for a long season cause he's going to get rung up like a sunday church bell.

Woody's shoulder....arrrrggg. I am officially sick of it. Cant take another season of it. Love the guys moxy and character - when he's healthy he's one of the best. But I'm finaly at the face the facts point. He has a glass arm.

I've already shared my Ryan Dempster opinions with you.

Ok....... deep breath..... thanks....I'm done now. That feels better.

All that being said - I'm on my way next week to spring training to see my Cubs in Scottsdale. Cubs fans bring new meaning to masochism - but I'll always be one.

I'm not comfortable with our closer situation at all. I loved Borowski in 2003, but last year, he caused me a lot of heartache. I remember the Mackowiak Series against Pittsburgh where he blew the save in the bottom of the 9th with a walk-off grand slam. I lost it.

I'm shocked that Hendry didn't go out and get us a closer. I thought for sure when I heard Sosa had been traded that Jorje Julio had come along with him. But instead, we're left with a set-up man that can't close, a guy with all heart and no heat, and a walks machine that's more suited to be a starting pitcher. Our bullpen was terrible last year. Trading Farnsworth was not addition by subtraction, because everyone else is just like Farnsworth, minus the 99 mph heat. We also lost Mercker, who was the Cubs best reliever last season.

As for Patterson, one of these years, he is going to be a 30-30 guy. All I want from him is 2003 for a full season. Last year was a set-back, but now it's time for him to break out.

I'm not comfortable with our closer situation at all. I loved Borowski in 2003, but last year, he caused me a lot of heartache. I remember the Mackowiak Series against Pittsburgh where he blew the save in the bottom of the 9th with a walk-off grand slam. I lost it.

Heartache.

Latroy gave me plenty of that last year. Granted, he's not a closer, but he was put in that role.

It was tough to watch. Real tough.

d

i know this sounds crazy

but I pick the Cubs to win their division this year

and yes, I know I'll probably be wrong, its just a gut feeling i get

I'm not saying they wont Blackout

Here are the lifetime 162 game avg's for the Cubs starting eight position players in HR's and RBI's vs. the starting 8 postion players on all the NL contenders last year.

Avg. per starter:

- -- - HR RBI's

Cubs 21.8 81.3

STL 21.25 75.8

S.F. 17.25 73.3

PHL 20.87 74.125

HOU 19.25 68.25

ATL 17.62 67.3

S.D. 14.62 65

L.A. 18.5 65.2

If Alou and Corky's numbers were in there - we would be ahead a lot more. But we have potential to score a lot of runs. I think they should take one of their flame throwing kids and make a closer out of them. They have 3-4 youngsters now who throw mid to high 90's. Losing Clement didnt help either now that Woody is hurt out of the box again.

Mark Prior will miss his next spring start Tuesday because of inflammation in his elbow.

Reason No. 532 why the Cubs should never be trusted for injury info. Of course, they're saying that this developed after his first outing last week, but there was a reason why his first start was scheduled for so late in his first place. According to the Cubs, an MRI showed no ligament damage. The problem is inflammation in the joint and to the ulnar nerve. Prior won't throw until at least Wednesday. His status for the second game of the season has to be in some doubt. Mar. 14 - 2:03 pm et

Source: cubs.mlb.com

Hope this is nothing as this guy is too good.

I hear indefinitely on WFAN

Mark Prior will miss his next spring start Tuesday because of inflammation in his elbow.

Reason No. 532 why the Cubs should never be trusted for injury info. Of course, they're saying that this developed after his first outing last week, but there was a reason why his first start was scheduled for so late in his first place. According to the Cubs, an MRI showed no ligament damage. The problem is inflammation in the joint and to the ulnar nerve. Prior won't throw until at least Wednesday. His status for the second game of the season has to be in some doubt. Mar. 14 - 2:03 pm et

Source: cubs.mlb.com

Hope this is nothing as this guy is too good.

I hear indefinitely on WFAN

=D>=D>=D>=D>

The Cubs are like a terrible soap opera in which the main character dies at the end of every episode.

I have him in two leagues so when I read that, my heart just sank.

Haven't you guys been waiting for Patterson to break out for the past 2-3 years? He starts every season with a monster RBI game and then just trails off as the season progresses.

If your rotation stays healthy, you guys definitely will be fighting the Cards for the NL Central. If they don't, no way you can keep up with their rotation and that lineup. Houston is going to take a backseat this year, lost a lot of good offense in Beltran and Kent.

I have him in two leagues so when I read that, my heart just sank.

Haven't you guys been waiting for Patterson to break out for the past 2-3 years? He starts every season with a monster RBI game and then just trails off as the season progresses.

If your rotation stays healthy, you guys definitely will be fighting the Cards for the NL Central. If they don't, no way you can keep up with their rotation and that lineup. Houston is going to take a backseat this year, lost a lot of good offense in Beltran and Kent.

Corey's been on the verge for a bit now. Missed almost the entire season couple years ago. I'm waiting.......

Damn!!!!!

Wood and Prior's health is killing me!!!!!!

d

The Cubs are like a terrible soap opera in which the main character dies at the end of every episode.

No Troll - used to wait and die at the end. Now days we are dying just after "Previously on"

As long as Dusty is the manager and continually overworks his pitchers, this staff will never live up to their potential.

It's Dusty's fault his pitchers are soft? Please.

Guys used to go 9 innings on 3 days rest and not complain. What happened to baseball since then? Guys got paid too much and didnt have to earn their money by pitching complete games. If being forced to go 7 despite having the best medical care in sports history is being "over-worked", then Warren Spahn is rolling in his grave as we speak, wondering why the hell he allowed himself to pitch nearly 400 complete games in his career.

Guys, I love the Yankees, but I grew up in Chicago and the Cubs still remain close to my heart.

That being said, Prior and Wood are starting off again injured. Until these brittle bones get their act together, the Cubs will go nowhere.

I don't blame Baker for leaving them in for too long.

He actually babies them and takes Wood and Prior out too early because he's trying to rest them for the playoffs. Well, we didn't make the playoffs last year and the bullpen constantly blowing the game was one of the reasons. The other was that our offense must have all gotten tea-bagged by Matt Clement, because they apparently hated his guts.

It looks like Woody and Prior are a little soft. I'm sick to death of this, every single year. Thank God for the Baby Bull, who may be our best pitcher even when Prior and Wood are healthy anyway.

I don't blame Baker for leaving them in for too long.

He actually babies them and takes Wood and Prior out too early because he's trying to rest them for the playoffs. Well, we didn't make the playoffs last year and the bullpen constantly blowing the game was one of the reasons. The other was that our offense must have all gotten tea-bagged by Matt Clement, because they apparently hated his guts.

It looks like Woody and Prior are a little soft. I'm sick to death of this, every single year. Thank God for the Baby Bull, who may be our best pitcher even when Prior and Wood are healthy anyway.

Bingo - saw him pull Prior for the 9th due to "pitch count" in an 03 game against the Brewers. He had struck out 6 of the last 9 he faced and his speed was climbing to the high 90's. The pen put a couple on then Sexton put one over the WGN gable. Cubs lose.

Bingo - saw him pull Prior for the 9th due to "pitch count" in an 03 game against the Brewers. He had struck out 6 of the last 9 he faced and his speed was climbing to the high 90's. The pen put a couple on then Sexton put one over the WGN gable. Cubs lose.

I remember that one. Amazing how the tough beats stay with me vs. the wins. For example, I can barely remember us beating the Braves in the 03 playoffs. But the Marlins loss in the NLCS? Embedded.

FWIW

Cubs site optimistic for Wood and Prior ready for regular season starts. But what do you expect them to say?

d

You guys too sure about that?

Dusty led the majors last year in Long Outings (meaning a pitcher was left on the hill for over 120 pitches) with 18. And the only reason that went down was because there was no point in leaving their starters in so long cause the season was over pretty early for them.

Prior to that, he's had four seasons with over 20 Long Outings (27, 25, 21,27). The only other guy in baseball who was even close, and he changed once he went to the Red Sox, was Terry Francona.

And this holds true for relievers also. Check out the right side of this website; great article on Farnsworth and the reason for his decline: http://northsidebaseball.com/

In regards to pitchers being soft, if you go by your (Jetfan80) standards, everyone is soft so why argue? There was a time when guys were able to pitch 9 innings every 3 games but they also weren't maximizing the potential of their bodies like they are today. Because of new coaching teqhniques and such, these are taking their bodies potential to the max. As a result, it's easier to hurt something especially when you are working at the speed these guys. But of course that generation was tougher, but because this generation isn't doesn't mean Dusty should be an idiot and leave them in because they are "soft." If a guy is a soft, a good manager knows that and takes them out even if a tougher pitcher could last. A good manager caters to his players strengths and weaknesses; not what he thinks they should be strong in.

You guys too sure about that?

Dusty led the majors last year in Long Outings (meaning a pitcher was left on the hill for over 120 pitches) with 18. And the only reason that went down was because there was no point in leaving their starters in so long cause the season was over pretty early for them.

B-Man what season was it over early for the Cubs? 04?

They were in it till the final 10 days.

Good stats though - thanks

Hawkins most likely candidate to take overESPN.com news services

Chicago Cubs closer Joe Borowski will be out three to four weeks after suffering a hairline crack in his right wrist while fielding a comebacker Monday, The Chicago Tribune reported.

Borowski

Borowski, who missed the final four months of the 2004 season, won't likely see big league action until mid-May.

With Borowski down, LaTroy Hawkins, who blew nine of 34 save opportunities last year, will be the top candidate to fill in. There's also an outside chance non-roster invitee Chad Fox could fill the spot.

The Cubs did get good news on another pitching front. Right-hander Kerry Wood could take the mound Thursday or Friday, Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild told the Chicago Sun-Times.

With a positive outing, Wood would make another start next week and be prepared to start in the first week of the season.

More bad news for Cub fans on this site- Hawkins is now your closer looks like for first month-also saw that Urbina of Tigers is possibly on the block for trade.

Not true. There are exceptions for this generation, including Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, and, uhh....is that it? :lol:

You talking about the same Clemens who left Game 6 of '86 cause of a "blister?" And whens the last time they consistently pitched 9 innings on 3 days rest, which appeared to be your standard for pitching?

Hawkins most likely candidate to take overESPN.com news services

With Borowski down, LaTroy Hawkins, who blew nine of 34 save opportunities last year, will be the top candidate to fill in.

No!!!!!!

This cannot happen!!

Dusty's gotta do something else.

What's the deal with the Cubs pitchers?

:(

d

Archived