Hurt receivers now will harm us

Ranick10

Here's what's going on:

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets have 12 wide receivers on the roster (not counting the self-proclaimed star-in-waiting, Antonio Cromartie), but they finished practice Wednesday with only four healthy bodies.

And Rex Ryan wasn't happy. The coach said some players didn't show up for training camp in top condition. He didn't lump Santonio Holmes into that group, but Holmes didn't participate in a two-minute drill at the end of practice because of leg tightness. Ryan said he's not sure if Holmes will practice Thursday.

Ryan was irked with his young receivers, which means virtually the entire receiving corps. They're dropping like flies, just as they did in minicamp, when a rash of soft-tissue injuries took a toll on the position.

"Part of it is tempo, but part of it is the responsibility of the guys," Ryan said. "You have to be in shape, you have to take care of your bodies. That's frustrating."

As a young, inexperienced group we can't have these guys missing valuable practice time. It's a new system, our #2 hasn't played a down in the NFL and our QBs need to build a rapport with the WRs.

After last season, you'd think everyone would've taken the offseason seriously and gotten in better shape than they were in and ready for training camp.

It's hard to get the amount of reps Sporano wants when there are only 4 healthy receivers in all of camp.

Nothing is worse than a guy who just lost an 11 year old child worth of fat.

That joke aside, what does it say about Rex that clearly some people disregarded his instruction to get in "world class shape?" Do they not fear accountability? I don't get it.

That joke aside, what does it say about Rex that clearly some people disregarded his instruction to get in "world class shape?" Do they not fear accountability? I don't get it.

Guy like Holmes fear nothing. Younger guys fear working in pizza joints. Football shape takes time.; Press gotta write about something.

What does it say about me that I like reading that Rex is pissed off and unhappy with the players than the love fest we've seen over the past 3 seasons?

I love it. He needs a little bit of this attitude to compliment his otherwise easygoing buddy-buddy style.

Guy like Holmes fear nothing. Younger guys fear working in pizza joints. Football shape takes time.; Press gotta write about something.

Well you're certainly right about Holmes. But having 4 available wide receivers to run the practice ending 2-minute drill is pretty embarrassing. Cimini can be sensationalist but this was a story that should have been reported.

First week of camp and people are already freaking out over injuries? Maybe the Giants should have crumbled last year when half their secondary was injured in training camp. But they didn't. They'll get these minor injuries worked out and then everyone can go back to freaking out about Tim Tebow running in the rain.

Archived