Let's Talk O-Line

stoicsentry

The o-line has been flying under the radar. Does everyone remember the beginning of the season? Pass protection was probably our #1 concern. What happened there?

The Jets offensive line has only surrendered 3 sacks. That's right - 3 sacks in 3 games - 1 per game. That means we are tied for 3rd in least sacks allowed. There are 28 teams in the league that have surrendered at least 4 sacks. Some comparisons: the Steelers have surrendered 3 times as many sacks as we have (9), the St. Louis Rams and Cincinatti Bengals have each surrendered 4 times as many sacks as we have (12) and after Green Bay's woeful job last Monday night, they have now surrendered 16 sacks (we're on pace to give up that many total for the entire season!)

Now in fairness, we haven't faced a team that can get after the QB like Houston can, but I'm still impressed. For all the fears we had that this line would be a turnstyle even to mediocre opponents, that just hasn't been the case.

We are getting sacked at a rate of 2.9% this year, a dramatic difference compared to last year's 6.7%.

I'm going to give Sanchez a little credit here, too. For all of the many things he does wrong, I'm spotting some improvements in a few areas: 1) he seems to be more confident in his arm, and when there IS a throw to be made far downfield, he looks willing to make that throw rather than simply taking the sack, 2) he looks to be stepping up in the pocket with much more authority, 3) it looks like he is sensing the rush better than he ever has.

Also credit Sparano, maybe he's doing something right with these playcalls.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but perhaps having Tebow in there also helps at times... defense has to be on guard for him taking a carry.

But back to the main point: good job offensive line!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The o-line has been flying under the radar. Does everyone remember the beginning of the season? Pass protection was probably our #1 concern. What happened there?

The Jets offensive line has only surrendered 3 sacks. That's right - 3 sacks in 3 games - 1 per game. That means we are tied for 3rd in least sacks allowed. There are 28 teams in the league that have surrendered at least 4 sacks. Some comparisons: the Steelers have surrendered 3 times as many sacks as we have (9), the St. Louis Rams and Cincinatti Bengals have each surrendered 4 times as many sacks as we have (12) and after Green Bay's woeful job last Monday night, they have now surrendered 16 sacks (we're on pace to give up that many total for the entire season!)

Now in fairness, we haven't faced a team that can get after the QB like Houston can, but I'm still impressed. For all the fears we had that this line would be a turnstyle even to mediocre opponents, that just hasn't been the case.

We are getting sacked at a rate of 2.9% this year, a dramatic difference compared to last year's 6.7%.

I'm going to give Sanchez a little credit here, too. For all of the many things he does wrong, I'm spotting some improvements in a few areas: 1) he seems to be more confident in his arm, and when there IS a throw to be made far downfield, he looks willing to make that throw rather than simply taking the sack, 2) he looks to be stepping up in the pocket with much more authority, 3) it looks like he is sensing the rush better than he ever has.

Also credit Sparano, maybe he's doing something right with these playcalls.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but perhaps having Tebow in there also helps at times... defense has to be on guard for him taking a carry.

But back to the main point: good job offensive line!

I was with u till the Tebow comment. Not because I am anti-Tebow, but because he has not been enough for u to say he helps our O-Line.

Don't take too much credit away from the OL themselves. You have to realize there's a pretty dramatic difference amongst the individuals. Mangold, Moore and Slauson are all healthy this year, which none of them were last year, Brick after having one down year, is back to his old ways (which only further convinces me that the lack of offseason was a real issue for him last year), and Austin Howard has been better than Hunter ever was last season by leaps and bounds. Perhaps the numbers can be helped a bit when you don't have guys taking unnecessary sacks, but more than anything is that these individual guys are playing some very good football, each of them better than they (or the person they are replacing) were just a year ago.

Pass protection has been good, especially considering how long Sanchez seems to hold the ball. Too bad the QB they are protecting still isn't very good, and even when he has time and makes a good throw his WRs can't hold the ball or seem to have broken off their routes. We saw what it looks like when they put it all together at once, and it's mind-blowingly unfamiliar to Jets fans to see an offense click like that... hope we see more of week 1, and less of 2 and 3 going forward.

Run blocking hasn't looked great, but I can't tell if they are opening holes and our slow ass RBs are just not hitting them, or if the holes aren't there. I'd love to see a 1-cut, downhill runner with some speed bursting through our OL, that'd give us all a better sense of how good the run blocking is.

Damn. Our offense has no speed on it. It's like our LB corps, but the entire offense.

Pass protection has been good, especially considering how long Sanchez seems to hold the ball. Too bad the QB they are protecting still isn't very good, and even when he has time and makes a good throw his WRs can't hold the ball or seem to have broken off their routes. We saw what it looks like when they put it all together at once, and it's mind-blowingly unfamiliar to Jets fans to see an offense click like that... hope we see more of week 1, and less of 2 and 3 going forward.

Run blocking hasn't looked great, but I can't tell if they are opening holes and our slow ass RBs are just not hitting them, or if the holes aren't there. I'd love to see a 1-cut, downhill runner with some speed bursting through our OL, that'd give us all a better sense of how good the run blocking is.

Damn. Our offense has no speed on it. It's like our LB corps, but the entire offense.

Really? Hill,Schilens, Holmes all ran sub 4.4's. Kerley, Powell, Keller, McKnight and Cumberland all run in the 4.45-4.55 range.

Greene is slow as sh*t but otherwise, unless you're including the OL, the Jets have plenty of speed on offense.

Pass protection has been better than i expected.

Run protection is worse than i expected, but as above... is greene just not hitting the hole when he needs to? I suspect this is true. just watch other games and you see good RB's slide into the smallest holes and break through... i just dont see that enough out of greene.

So... yep. I am happy with the O-line. yet our qb still sucks and our rb cant gain yards. boo jets. :-(

Change in blocking philosophy may contribute to the run blocking thing. It may take some time to develop. I haven't actually seen much of it in action, but through last year they were supposedly running specific zone blocking which should open up a more specific hole. If they are truly going more man to man, then we might require a more instinctual cut because the linemen will be more apt to block their man in the direction he allows them. Say what you want, but Greene's stats were fine in 2009, 2010 and 2011. It might be that Greene isn't that runner or he needs some time to get used to it. Might be that the blocking has sucked. Tough to see with the TV footage.

Really? Hill,Schilens, Holmes all ran sub 4.4's. Kerley, Powell, Keller, McKnight and Cumberland all run in the 4.45-4.55 range.

Greene is slow as sh*t but otherwise, unless you're including the OL, the Jets have plenty of speed on offense.

40 times don't mean sh*t, especially when they belong to guys who can't get on the field because they suck at football like the bolded. Seriously you are throwing 3rd string guys and their 40 times at me to refute what your eyes should tell you is true. This team plays like they have cement shoes on. The offense has no speed to it, no tempo, the players might run a fast 40, but they have no game speed. There is a difference.

yet they look like they run in molasses every week.

Yup.

Change in blocking philosophy may contribute to the run blocking thing. It may take some time to develop. I haven't actually seen much of it in action, but through last year they were supposedly running specific zone blocking which should open up a more specific hole. If they are truly going more man to man, then we might require a more instinctual cut because the linemen will be more apt to block their man in the direction he allows them. Say what you want, but Greene's stats were fine in 2009, 2010 and 2011. It might be that Greene isn't that runner or he needs some time to get used to it. Might be that the blocking has sucked. Tough to see with the TV footage.

If I recall, Greene looked like absolute crap the first few games last year too. He's only looked "special" during the Cincy games and Indy game during the playoff run. Otherwise, he's pretty meh.

If I recall, Greene looked like absolute crap the first few games last year too. He's only looked "special" during the Cincy games and Indy game during the playoff run. Otherwise, he's pretty meh.

I was looking back to see how we did against the Texans and re-read the article on the preseason game last year. They specifically mentioned that his excellent performance in that game was important because he was a "slow starter". I will agree that was the time he looked special and I can accept "meh", but he was fine. Did the job. This year that has not been the case. I don't think his talent has fallen off a cliff, so we will see what happens. I think he will get rolling. The pass offense has been better than expected and that may be because teams are geared to stop the "ground and pound". Greene isn't really the kind of guy who is going to excel when teams focus on him.

*excessive use of quotation marks!

40 times don't mean sh*t, especially when they belong to guys who can't get on the field because they suck at football like the bolded. Seriously you are throwing 3rd string guys and their 40 times at me to refute what your eyes should tell you is true. This team plays like they have cement shoes on. The offense has no speed to it, no tempo, the players might run a fast 40, but they have no game speed. There is a difference.

Kerley and Powell cant get on the field. Weird. Kerley's got 2 TD's on the year. Wonder how that happens sitting on the sidelines. Powell's about to unseat Greene, pretty impressive feat sitting on the sidelines. Cumberland was wide open in the endzone last game, must be magic. McKnight was the best Kick Return in the game last season, weird how that happens when you dont see the field.

My bad, game speed. Holmes, Hill, Schilens, Kerley, Powell - no game speed. You're right. So smart you are.

Kerley and Powell cant get on the field. Weird. Kerley's got 2 TD's on the year. Wonder how that happens sitting on the sidelines. Powell's about to unseat Greene, pretty impressive feat sitting on the sidelines. Cumberland was wide open in the endzone last game, must be magic. McKnight was the best Kick Return in the game last season, weird how that happens when you dont see the field.

My bad, game speed. Holmes, Hill, Schilens, Kerley, Powell - no game speed. You're right. So smart you are.

Actually, Kerley has 3 TDs (first on the team) if you count his punt return. Including him in particular pretty much made Ape's entire point come across as ridiculous.

Look at the amount of snaps Kerley was getting before Hill got hurt. 2 TDs is not a measurement of how often the guy is put on the field for his skill set. If Kerley were anything other than a 3rd or 4th WR he'd be used as more than that. He's got speed, but because he's not ALWAYS on the field as part of the base offense, he really doesn't contribute to the overall speed of the offense or its tempo.

McKnight, I think we all know, is quick, but his kick returns are completely irrelevant to my point. I'm talking about the speed of the offense. McKnight just got converted to a CB, so clearly he wasn't a contributing factor to the offense and its overall speed and tempo.

Powell might be about to unseat Greene, but it really doesn't mean he's contributing the the overall speed of the offense either. He's unseating Greene because he can average the same dismal yards per carry, but also catch the ball out of the backfield. Versatility, not speed. He's still slow as sh*t.

Schillens is our 4th receiver. Not on the field, like I said.

Cumberland is our 2nd TE, rarely on the field. I hardly equate him getting open ONCE as him contributing to the overall speed of the offense.

You failed to make a single point in your favor. Do yourself a favor, choose your arguments more wisely... all I do is embarrass you.

Actually, Kerley has 3 TDs (first on the team) if you count his punt return. Including him in particular pretty much made Ape's entire point come across as ridiculous.

If Kerley was a regular starter, then JIF would have a point. Kerley is basically the exception within this offense regarding quickness. He's just not on the field for nearly enough snaps to skew my opinion of the offense's overall speed.

Hill, Schillens and Kerley. Hill can't catch the ball, which renders any speed he brings obsolete... Kerley and Schillens are barely on the field. If they aren't on the field regularly, or not actually making plays, then it's obsolete to me... and I don't look at it as part of the overall offensive output. When I see this offense I see no tempo, nothing dynamic, nothing comes easy... so while JIF makes the point that we have fast guys on the team, we don't leverage them in giving our offensive output speed.

And counting what Kerley and McKnight do on special teams is side-stepping my point. I'm talking about the offense, not special teams.

If Kerley was a regular starter, then JIF would have a point. Kerley is basically the exception within this offense regarding quickness. He's just not on the field for nearly enough snaps to skew my opinion of the offense's overall speed.

And counting what Kerley and McKnight do on special teams is side-stepping my point. I'm talking about the offense, not special teams.

I would certainly agree with you that Kerley isn't on the field enough to change the offense and is the exception rather than the rule, I just found it strange that you included him amongst those who weren't adding to the offense. He's easily been the Jets biggest playmaker so far this season (which was my only point in bringing up his punt return). While he's obviously more built to be a slot receiver, I still don't understand how he hasn't started stealing Hill's reps in 2-WR sets and then moving back inside on other downs. It's not like we haven't seen similar done with plenty of these types of WRs in the past throughout the NFL (and even on the Jets).

Look at the amount of snaps Kerley was getting before Hill got hurt. 2 TDs is not a measurement of how often the guy is put on the field for his skill set. If Kerley were anything other than a 3rd or 4th WR he'd be used as more than that. He's got speed, but because he's not ALWAYS on the field as part of the base offense, he really doesn't contribute to the overall speed of the offense or its tempo.

McKnight, I think we all know, is quick, but his kick returns are completely irrelevant to my point. I'm talking about the speed of the offense. McKnight just got converted to a CB, so clearly he wasn't a contributing factor to the offense and its overall speed and tempo.

Powell might be about to unseat Greene, but it really doesn't mean he's contributing the the overall speed of the offense either. He's unseating Greene because he can average the same dismal yards per carry, but also catch the ball out of the backfield. Versatility, not speed. He's still slow as sh*t.

Schillens is our 4th receiver. Not on the field, like I said.

Cumberland is our 2nd TE, rarely on the field. I hardly equate him getting open ONCE as him contributing to the overall speed of the offense.

You failed to make a single point in your favor. Do yourself a favor, choose your arguments more wisely... all I do is embarrass you.

Its amazing that all these contributors dont see field but have like catches, carries and TD's. Its shame we are leaving their speed on the sidelines.

LMFAO - you're clueless.

I would certainly agree with you that Kerley isn't on the field enough to change the offense and is the exception rather than the rule, I just found it strange that you included him amongst those who weren't adding to the offense. He's easily been the Jets biggest playmaker so far this season (which was my only point in bringing up his punt return). While he's obviously more built to be a slot receiver, I still don't understand how he hasn't started stealing Hill's reps in 2-WR sets and then moving back inside on other downs. It's not like we haven't seen similar done with plenty of these types of WRs in the past throughout the NFL (and even on the Jets).

Personally, I expected Kerley to fill the role of Davone Bess in this offense.

Regarding the dispute with JIF, listen... I'd be completely ignorant to say nobody on this team is fast. My comment was about the whole offense. That tard just doesn't comprehend anything, once again I make a wholistic comment about the team or a part of the team, and once again JIF can't get his head around where I'm coming from.

Like the other day when I said the team's stature was soft. He wanted to itemize the roster and debate the toughness of each dude... while I'm talking about this team's proclivity for pulling their heads into their shell when then encounter adversity. Way over his head.

Just like now, where I'm saying the offense, as a unit, is slow. They can't do anything with any tempo, nothing. Not even getting plays into the huddle. What does that dumb ass do? He starts telling me 40 times, and how many TDs role-players have, and what guys who have been moved to defensive positions have done on special teams. Nothing about the collective offenses inability to function with any speed or urgency.

He's just not good at having adult conversations. His brain works like a little child's.

Now you're agreeing with the moron? He's making zero sense and back tracking. Now he's talking about who's on the field as opposed to having "no speed" on offense. Guy's clueless and you're agreeing with him...lol

Hill, Schillens and Kerley. Hill can't catch the ball, which renders any speed he brings obsolete... Kerley and Schillens are barely on the field. If they aren't on the field regularly, or not actually making plays, then it's obsolete to me... and I don't look at it as part of the overall offensive output. When I see this offense I see no tempo, nothing dynamic, nothing comes easy... so while JIF makes the point that we have fast guys on the team, we don't leverage them in giving our offensive output speed.

Obsolete?

ALL the WRs are fast. Except Turner. There are only two or three on the field at a time. The TEs? All fast. Keller has been out and Reuland isn't particularly fast, but Cumberland? He can't get on the field? He has played almost constantly. He's only out when Kerley or Tebow are in. I will give you McKnight hasn't been able to get on the field. That's it. Hill can't catch? How does that relate to "speed is the problem"? Schillens has been hurt. He's been hurt his whole career, but he's been on the field and will probably take HIll's reps this week.

Regarding the dispute with JIF, listen... I'd be completely ignorant to say nobody on this team is fast. My comment was about the whole offense. That tard just doesn't comprehend anything, once again I make a wholistic comment about the team or a part of the team, and once again JIF can't get his head around where I'm coming from.

Like the other day when I said the team's stature was soft. He wanted to itemize the roster and debate the toughness of each dude... while I'm talking about this team's proclivity for pulling their heads into their shell when then encounter adversity. Way over his head.

Just like now, where I'm saying the offense, as a unit, is slow. They can't do anything with any tempo, nothing. Not even getting plays into the huddle. What does that dumb ass do? He starts telling me 40 times, and how many TDs role-players have, and what guys who have been moved to defensive positions have done on special teams. Nothing about the collective offenses inability to function with any speed or urgency.

He's just not good at having adult conversations. His brain works like a little child's.

You're a back tracking SOB.

Your quote - "Damn. Our offense has no speed on it. It's like our LB corps, but the entire offense."

Now you're trying to say you were referring to tempo and who's actually on the field, yet their not on the field, yet their stats say differently. Just Derp the F up already. lmfao

Its amazing that all these contributors dont see field but have like catches, carries and TD's. Its shame we are leaving their speed on the sidelines.

LMFAO - you're clueless.

I'm clueless? If this offense had any collective speed in how it functioned, they'd actually be able to execute a 2-minute drill. Not kneel on the ball when they are behind at the half, like they did versus Pittsburgh.

Offensive speed, or tempo, is dictated by far more than just 40 speeds and what offensive players have done on special teams. A concept you don't seem to be able to grasp at all. You can have as many track stars as you want, that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. If they can't communicate, or do their job, then you know what you have? The ****ing Oakland Raiders for the past 20 years. A bunch of guys that despite being fast as sh*t, can't do anything with any speed.

Obsolete?

ALL the WRs are fast. Except Turner. There are only two or three on the field at a time. The TEs? All fast. Keller has been out and Reuland isn't particularly fast, but Cumberland? He can't get on the field? He has played almost constantly. He's only out when Kerley or Tebow are in. I will give you McKnight hasn't been able to get on the field. That's it. Hill can't catch? How does that relate to "speed is the problem"? Schillens has been hurt. He's been hurt his whole career, but he's been on the field and will probably take HIll's reps this week.

Stop. He's changing his point not to look like a moron. This post will be irrelevant by the time he reads this because what he really meant is going to change...again.

Now you're agreeing with the moron? He's making zero sense and back tracking. Now he's talking about who's on the field as opposed to having "no speed" on offense. Guy's clueless and you're agreeing with him...lol

Oh boy...

You know, I'd appreciate it if you two kept me out of the middle of your little slap-fest. Thanks.

I'm clueless? If this offense had any collective speed in how it functioned, they'd actually be able to execute a 2-minute drill. Not kneel on the ball when they are behind at the half, like they did versus Pittsburgh.

Offensive speed, or tempo, is dictated by far more than just 40 speeds and what offensive players have done on special teams. A concept you don't seem to be able to grasp at all. You can have as many track stars as you want, that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. If they can't communicate, or do their job, then you know what you have? The ****ing Oakland Raiders for the past 20 years. A bunch of guys that despite being fast as sh*t, can't do anything with any speed.

Our offense has no speed "ON IT".

Your words dumbass. You compared them to the LB'ers. Now since you realize your an idiot, you're making about tempo and how well they do their job and communicate and other sh*t that has nothing to do with speed.. lmfao.

You made a comment about the talent saying they had no speed. Stop trying to back track you idiot.

So you are mad that they aren't successful, not that they aren't fast.

Obsolete?

How many yards do we get when Hill blasts down the field and comes up with an incompletion or drop? Until they start giving points and first downs for 40 times, it is obsolete how fast a dude runs, when they can't leverage that speed to contribute to the overall tempo of the offense.

I know we have guys that can run. We don't have an offense that can take advantage of it, making our whole offense a collection of hiccups, stalls and miscues. I guess, in going back and forth with some of you here, I'm saying fast players are useless without the ability to communicate and execute, if you don't have the latter, then you don't really have speed.

So you are mad that they aren't successful, not that they aren't fast.

LMFAO!!!! Not uh, you dont know how to read and stuff and are missing the point. Its not about how the offense has "no speed on it", just like the LB"ers...its about tempo, communication and doing their jobs. That type of speed. :animal0029:

Archived