Coples Needs 20 Snaps a Game

TNJet

"Q" needs atleast 15-20 snaps a game to have any impact whatsoever, not a measly 20 in 3 games. Rex better wake up and start using the talent he does still have this season before it turns into a complete wash just like last year. If you are dead last in sacks in the NFL, its pretty much a no brainer to get the rookie pass rusher in the game on passing downs to get pressure on qb's and generate turnovers we need. Dude was a total beast in the preseason and averaged a sack a game. Put in Coples Rex, yes he's a rookie, but he might just be the best pass rusher we have at this time. And hey Rex, unleash the Mayhem 51 a little more he seemed pretty good last season...why is he forgotten about this year? He lead us in sacks in 2011. Stop with this stupid bend but don't break prevent garbage and go get the QB's again like when you first became our head coach. Revis is gone, you better get some pressure on the opposition, or get beaten. Its up to you.

"Q" needs atleast 15-20 snaps a game to have any impact whatsoever, not a measly 20 in 3 games. Rex better wake up and start using the talent he does still have this season before it turns into a complete wash just like last year. If you are dead last in sacks in the NFL, its pretty much a no brainer to get the rookie pass rusher in the game on passing downs to get pressure on qb's and generate turnovers we need. Dude was a total beast in the preseason and averaged a sack a game. Put in Coples Rex, yes he's a rookie, but he might just be the best pass rusher we have at this time. And hey Rex, unleash the Mayhem 51 a little more he seemed pretty good last season...why is he forgotten about this year? He lead us in sacks in 2011. Stop with this stupid bend but don't break prevent garbage and go get the QB's again like when you first became our head coach. Revis is gone, you better get some pressure on the opposition, or get beaten. Its up to you.

It's going on only week 4 of his rookie year, you don't just throw him in there when you can gradually bring him along. For what it's worth, Rex came out and said that he's on the verge of having a very important role on the defense. He has struggled against the run initially, as most rookies do, and seeing as how our first three opponents boasted big ground-games, big offensive lineman or both, he just hasn't played. There are rumors we may run more 4 man fronts against San Fran, which I think you'll then see him more. We've also been pretty decent at forcing turnovers thus far; I think sack rates are overrated, it's how many QB hits and hurries we have, which is still way too low. I think we'll see a diff scheme now that Revis is out.

I know that it pisses Rutgers off, but we're 2-1. In the rout against Buffalo it made sense to play him. I think he was in and I think he contributed to giving up the runs. Pittsburgh he could have played some, seeing how they couldn't run, but Devito and Pouha were back. In a close struggle against Miami there is no reason to throw him out there and risk the game if he doesn't know what he's doing. We'll probably see more of him this week. They cut Dixon (again) presumably because Devito and Pouha are back and he should get all of Dixon's snaps.

Was actually thinking the same thing. He played a bit more than Coples has, but that's also because he was asked just to play in obvious passing downs and was shielded by the best defense in the league (one of). Look at Smith's snap count through the first 6 weeks; notice that his 6 week total is less than half of what Willis and Bowman played.

Week 1- 26

Week 2 - 25

Week 3 - 20

Week 4 - 39

Week 5 - 28

Week 6 - 62

Once again, for those worrying, just have patience.

I read Coples had 20 plays PER GAME, not 20 for the season. His total is 65 for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000067151/article/rex-ryan-quinton-coples-will-play-more-vs-49ers

That's still not enough, since there are 60-65 defensive snaps a game. I would consider 40-50 snaps normal for lineman, with rotations.....

BD

I read Coples had 20 plays PER GAME, not 20 for the season. His total is 65 for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-more-vs-49ers

That's still not enough, since there are 60-65 defensive snaps a game. I would consider 40-50 snaps normal for lineman, with rotations.....

BD

Look at the numbers I posted above; it's only been three weeks, you can't judge his snap count until the end of the season. Aldon smith, arguably the best defensive rookie last year outside of Von Miller, was on a very similar trajectory. He played primarily in passing situations until he grasped the schemes and the nuances of the NFL better; Coples would have seen more action if our defense could actually force more three and outs.

people are expecting too much out of Coples. He's like Shaun Ellis. One game out of every 5 or 6 he will take it over. but the rest of the time he will be invisible. that was his M.O. at UNC. HE is a streaky player and always has been. Expecting him to be CLay Matthews is not realistic. He's not that type of player.

Also I trust Rex to know which DL should play the most. No one on this board can make that decision better than Rex Ryan.

people are expecting too much out of Coples. He's like Shaun Ellis. One game out of every 5 or 6 he will take it over. but the rest of the time he will be invisible. that was his M.O. at UNC. HE is a streaky player and always has been. Expecting him to be CLay Matthews is not realistic. He's not that type of player.

Also I trust Rex to know which DL should play the most. No one on this board can make that decision better than Rex Ryan.

I think it's kind of hard to know what player Coples will be, seeing as how he's only played three games in the NFL. We can say not to expect him to be like Matthews, but then again matthews is a totally different player than he was in college. Dude was a walk-on who didn't see any starting time until his senior year, where he hardly did anything. I understand what you're getting at, that he plays with a high motor all the time, but I didn't really see that until part way through his senior year and than in green bay. I'm sure Coples won't be like that, but I just think it's a bit premature to tell.

The Pats Chandler Jones already has 2 sacks, 2 TFL and 2 FF.

Coples needs to get up off of those shoulders and get to work!

BD

No idea what this kid is like? - He looked great in Pre-season and invisible in the season.

To me the Jets are playing the wrong personal groups. Pace, Scott, Dixon (gone). We need more speed. Harris looks awful this season.

Like to see more Ellis Maybin Coples and Davis on the field at once.

No idea what this kid is like? - He looked great in Pre-season and invisible in the season.

To me the Jets are playing the wrong personal groups. Pace, Scott, Dixon (gone). We need more speed. Harris looks awful this season.

Like to see more Ellis Maybin Coples and Davis on the field at once.

Maybe in a year or so, but right now, that unit would probably give up 200+ yards on the ground per game. They just aren't ready to be every down players and of that group, probably only Coples and Ellis will ever be.

Archived