Other moves possible, but Sparano’s gone in New York

JoeC36

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 30, 2012, 10:23 AM EST

x3506-e1356880985767.jpg?w=234

AP

The exact course Jets owner Woody Johnson will send his franchise in the coming days isn’t known yet.

But one thing has become clear, there will be coaching changes.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano won’t be back next year, which isn’t much of a surprise to anyone.

The Jets are 30th in the league in offense, with their alleged attempts to use Tim Tebow a fantastic flop.

But Sparano might not be the extent of the changes.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff is retiring and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s contract is up, setting the stage for significant changes regardless what Johnson decides to do with head coach Rex Ryan or general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/other-moves-possible-but-sparanos-gone-in-new-york/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 30, 2012, 10:23 AM EST

x3506-e1356880985767.jpg?w=234

AP

The exact course Jets owner Woody Johnson will send his franchise in the coming days isn’t known yet.

But one thing has become clear, there will be coaching changes.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano won’t be back next year, which isn’t much of a surprise to anyone.

The Jets are 30th in the league in offense, with their alleged attempts to use Tim Tebow a fantastic flop.

But Sparano might not be the extent of the changes.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff is retiring and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s contract is up, setting the stage for significant changes regardless what Johnson decides to do with head coach Rex Ryan or general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

http://profootballta...ne-in-new-york/

Schefter seems to think that Woody is leaning towards keeping Tanny aboard, because he is not ready to part with Rex and doesn't like the idea of bringing in a new GM that doesn't have full freedom to pick his HC.

Whatever happens, should make for an interesting week.

I remember when I thought Sparano having HC experience was a going to work the way Schotty Jr couldnt. The less is more approach, structure, discipline, smash mouth run game matched with a vertical attack, chunk yards, wildcat. lulz

Really doesnt matter though who replaces him when you dont have a QB.

I remember when I thought Sparano having HC experience was a going to work the way Schotty Jr couldnt. The less is more approach, structure, discipline, smash mouth run game matched with a vertical attack, chunk yards, wildcat. lulz

You also loved Sanchez. And Tannenbaum. And Rex. And Herm.

I convinced myself of that as well... Problem is when you actually thought about it, the Dolphins offense under Sparano was historically bad. He came to the Jets, and as bad as we were under Schotty, our numbers are all significantly WORSE this year. I understand the notion that Rex wanted someone with actual experience running an NFL offense, and not another up-and-comer like Schotty Jr. The issue is that the guy he hired was a proven failure at running an NFL offense.

If not for anything else, that hire by Tanny/Rex deserves to get that regime put on the hot seat.

You also loved Sanchez. And Tannenbaum. And Rex. And Herm.

Never loved Sanchez. Loved Herm but not because of Football. Never loved Tanny, maybe liked. <3 Rex 4eva.

I convinced myself of that as well... Problem is when you actually thought about it, the Dolphins offense under Sparano was historically bad. He came to the Jets, and as bad as we were under Schotty, our numbers are all significantly WORSE this year. I understand the notion that Rex wanted someone with actual experience running an NFL offense, and not another up-and-comer like Schotty Jr. The issue is that the guy he hired was a proven failure at running an NFL offense.

If not for anything else, that hire by Tanny/Rex deserves to get that regime put on the hot seat.

He's never had a QB?

Yeah, when the hire first happened I was like, wtf? But started to warm up and actually like it. Shame on me.

I thought it would work because he seemed to mesh with the ultra conservative style of football this team needed to play to win games.

OTOH, a replacement that is good at designing, planning, and calling can get over this mere bump in the player talent road. You don't need players if you have coaches.

Never loved Sanchez. Loved Herm but not because of Football. Never loved Tanny, maybe liked. <3 Rex 4eva.

He's never had a QB?

Yeah, when the hire first happened I was like, wtf? But started to warm up and actually like it. Shame on me.

That is as much on the coach as anyone else. Matt Cassel looked good for a season playing under BB. Harbaugh made Alex Smith look awesome. Sean Payton resurrected Brees's career. Not saying anyone he had was on the elite level... But when your QB's (and he had multiple) are continuously the worst in the league - regardless of what team you coach - the system and your scheme are probably a large part of the problem.

I thought it would work because he seemed to mesh with the ultra conservative style of football this team needed to play to win games.

OTOH, a replacement that is good at designing, planning, and calling can get over this mere bump in the player talent road. You don't need players if you have coaches.

That too and he knew our weakness game planning vs. the offense. Whatevs.

WR, RB, TE - you can get all that help in one season. Just sucks the Jets are one of the teams in the league on the never ending search for a QB.

That is as much on the coach as anyone else. Matt Cassel looked good for a season playing under BB. Harbaugh made Alex Smith look awesome. Sean Payton resurrected Brees's career. Not saying anyone he had was on the elite level... But when your QB's (and he had multiple) are continuously the worst in the league - regardless of what team you coach - the system and your scheme are probably a large part of the problem.

Meh, Harbaugh gets way too much credit for Alex Smith. He's had very similar numbers the 2 season before him. His system clearly helped him take care of the ball better and this year complete more passes...but, Smith was never Sanchez or Henne awful. Cassel took an offense coming of a historic season and he did better in KC with less. Its rare a good OC makes that much difference on a horrible QB. It happens but its rare.

Meh, Harbaugh gets way too much credit for Alex Smith. He's had very similar numbers the 2 season before him. His system clearly helped him take care of the ball better and this year complete more passes...but, Smith was never Sanchez or Henne awful. Cassel took an offense coming of a historic season and he did better in KC with less. Its rare a good OC makes that much difference on a horrible QB. It happens but its rare.

IMO, Both Henne and Sanchez are talented enough to have average numbers and decent careers as starters given good coaching. Matt Moore too. Not that any of these guys are Franchise QBs in the sense that we think of them... But I think Sanchez can go play for a good offensive coach -and even given the same talent around him - is capable of putting up significantly better numbers than he did this year.

IMO, Both Henne and Sanchez are talented enough to have average numbers and decent careers as starters given good coaching. Matt Moore too. Not that any of these guys are Franchise QBs in the sense that we think of them... But I think Sanchez can go play for a good offensive coach -and even given the same talent around him - is capable of putting up significantly better numbers than he did this year.

I agree with this, but Sanchez may be ruined.

His confidence seems destroyed, and the complete and utter lack of any playmakers on offense has lead him to some horrible habits in trying to make plays on his own, that will be very hard at this point to undo.

Sanchez had potential, no matter how much the dumb Jet fans want to ignore this, he had potential.

He was a case study on how not to draft and develop a QB, and the results speak for themselves.

Think about that: keeping your failed talent selector and visionary because you are fond of the coach when your team is aging, suffering from a lack of talent on both sides of the ball (due to the failings of that talent selector) and riddled with leaks from players and coaches due to lack of leadership on the part of said coach. Now that is out of the box thinking! This is like firing the bullpen coach to light a fire under a manager's ass. He better have more than that.

Archived