In Rex I trust

JayKwaz

I agree, and I don't love Parcells.

My point was only about how Parcells firmly held that belief, and instilled it in this franchise, hence, Rex picks the players.

Fair enough, but I don't agree. Parcells had a massive ego and was convinced that he should be picking the players. I don't see him thinking other coaches should get the same opportunity. In fact, I think part of the reason he left the Giants was that he felt he'd earned that right. I don't think he'd think first time head coaches like Rex and Mangini deserved the same.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough, but I don't agree. Parcells had a massive ego and was convinced that he should be picking the players. I don't see him thinking other coaches should get the same opportunity. In fact, I think part of the reason he left the Giants was that he felt he'd earned that right. I don't think he'd think first time head coaches like Rex and Mangini deserved the same.

Well, he let Groh trade Keshawn in Grohs first year as HC.

Also,

When Mangini came in, it was clear he was going to be picking the players, which is why Tanny became GM.

Bottom line is Rex built this team, and he did a piss poor job.

Tanny is just the fall guy for Rex.

What do you expect him to say ?

"Guys we are not as talented as we used to be and the QB sucks. Time to go, I have a tattoo thats needs to be modifed"

Don't you as a fan feel insulted when a coach tells you and everybody else that this team is the most talented team he's had since he got here, but everybody know's its completely false? Seems to me he's trying to sell tickets with that statement. His WWE shtick is getting tired. Heck, if he can't tell that his offense is a disaster, then why should anybody believe he'll turn this around?

Bottom line is Rex built this team, and he did a piss poor job.

Tanny is just the fall guy for Rex.

This isn't factually true. Key players from 2009 and 2010 were brought in before Rex was brought in. Outside of Scott the team has not splurged on a FA since before Rex got here where they went out and landed jenkins/Woody/Pace/Faneca/Favre in the same offseason.

The 2008 coach didn't make that playoffs with those players. The 2009 coach, Rex, comes in with basically that same roster (swap Favre out for a rookie QB and Scott for whoever that was in 2008) and makes a deep playoff run.

By year three of his coaching tenure Rex has lost two All Pros on the OL, and seen a dropoff from the former best C (and top tier all around OLman) in the game. He's seen Bart Scott massively decline in two short seasons and the LB corps overall go from the best in the NFL during 2009/2010 to a plodding group of mid-30s talent.

This team is hardly built with Rex Ryan talent. If anything he's just getting started in building a next generation team with more than just the core of that 2008-2010 roster. They got rid of the guy who said "good idea" to Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, John Conner, and whoever else is hated.

Don't you as a fan feel insulted when a coach tells you and everybody else that this team is the most talented team he's had since he got here, but everybody know's its completely false? Seems to me he's trying to sell tickets with that statement. His WWE shtick is getting tired. Heck, if he can't tell that his offense is a disaster, then why should anybody believe he'll turn this around?

No. Im more bothered by the fans who buy into his schtick. This board is littered with Rexy fanboys who sing his praises and hangs on every word.

I don't understand why anyone gives a crap about what he says in press conferences.

And I don't think he's trying to sell seats with those comments, I really think that's just his personality. He pumps up everybody. I don't think there's any motivation behind it at all, I just think it's just in his nature to be loyal and positive that way.

And I think it's pretty clear he understands the offense sucks, too, He tried to bench Sanchez, but found out for certain what he suspected: he didn't have any other QBs on his roster, either. He also fired his OC and QB coach, another sign that maybe he figured out all is not well over there.

I don't understand why anyone gives a crap about what he says in press conferences.

And I don't think he's trying to sell seats with those comments, I really think that's just his personality. He pumps up everybody. I don't think there's any motivation behind it at all, I just think it's just in his nature to be loyal and positive that way.

And I think it's pretty clear he understands the offense sucks, too, He tried to bench Sanchez, but found out for certain what he suspected: he didn't have any other QBs on his roster, either. He also fired his OC and QB coach, another sign that maybe he figured out all is not well over there.

I don't give a crap for any other reason that anyone who applies a shred of logic realizes that he only said that because he built the team

This isn't factually true. Key players from 2009 and 2010 were brought in before Rex was brought in. Outside of Scott the team has not splurged on a FA since before Rex got here where they went out and landed jenkins/Woody/Pace/Faneca/Favre in the same offseason.

The 2008 coach didn't make that playoffs with those players. The 2009 coach, Rex, comes in with basically that same roster (swap Favre out for a rookie QB and Scott for whoever that was in 2008) and makes a deep playoff run.

By year three of his coaching tenure Rex has lost two All Pros on the OL, and seen a dropoff from the former best C (and top tier all around OLman) in the game. He's seen Bart Scott massively decline in two short seasons and the LB corps overall go from the best in the NFL during 2009/2010 to a plodding group of mid-30s talent.

This team is hardly built with Rex Ryan talent. If anything he's just getting started in building a next generation team with more than just the core of that 2008-2010 roster. They got rid of the guy who said "good idea" to Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, John Conner, and whoever else is hated.

When u look at it this way, most of the players worth a damn are from the prior regime.

On Rex's watch, it's pretty damn ugly

I really don't care what Rex says in the press conference, but if the head coach makes raving statements about the talent on his team when its apparent they have serious holes, it makes you wonder if he has the ability to make personnel decisions which it seems as though he'll have some influence in the future.

I really don't care what Rex says in the press conference, but if the head coach makes raving statements about the talent on his team when its apparent they have serious holes, it makes you wonder if he has the ability to make personnel decisions which it seems as though he'll have some influence in the future.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

If you are so gullible to believe every word a coach says than i have a bridge in Brooklyn...................

I don't give a crap for any other reason that anyone who applies a shred of logic realizes that he only said that because he built the team

I've determined that you aren't the best judge of logic applied.

Whether he built the team himself or had those players provided for him, it's still his team, and it's his nature to pump up everyone on his team. He was the same as DC in Baltimore, and I think we're all pretty certain he wasn't doing too much drafting there.

I've determined that you aren't the best judge of logic applied.

Whether he built the team himself or had those players provided for him, it's still his team, and it's his nature to pump up everyone on his team. He was the same as DC in Baltimore, and I think we're all pretty certain he wasn't doing too much drafting there.

In Baltimore he actually had insane talent, see the difference?

What is he supposed to say? Hi everybody, this is the worst team I've had since I've been here, and once Revis and Holmes go down it'll be even worse?

What he says to the press has absolutely nothing to do with what he does behind the scenes.

No telling what the future is going to bring until they hire that GM. If they're really bringing people back, asking them to reconsider, then the candidates should, in turn, be asking Woody to reconsider Rex's influence in pressonel matters.

What is he supposed to say? Hi everybody, this is the worst team I've had since I've been here, and once Revis and Holmes go down it'll be even worse?

What he says to the press has absolutely nothing to do with what he does behind the scenes.

No telling what the future is going to bring until they hire that GM. If they're really bringing people back, asking them to reconsider, then the candidates should, in turn, be asking Woody to reconsider Rex's influence in pressonel matters.

Have we heard from any other coaches in the league raving about their rosters with serious offensive holes? How about say nothing? Might be better off. Its worked for other guys.

I'm so tired of this argument, I have never, ever heard a HC say this before about a roster that was so clearly crap, he'll, I've rarely heard it from a HC when the roster was great, why does a HC have to say anything about the subject, ecspecially when it's clear how bad it was

Have we heard from any other coaches in the league raving about their rosters with serious offensive holes? How about say nothing? Might be better off. Its worked for other guys.

Seriously, thank you for proving there are some Jets fans not blinded by the moron coach

You listen to every other coach's press conference?

What should he do when he's asked? Cite that his mother told him if he didn't have anything nice to say, that he shouldn't say anything at all?

He's an upbeat, positive guy. Why crucify him for that? The man has flaws, but what he says in public is completely insignificant.

You listen to every other coach's press conference?

What should he do when he's asked? Cite that his mother told him if he didn't have anything nice to say, that he shouldn't say anything at all?

He's an upbeat, positive guy. Why crucify him for that? The man has flaws, but what he says in public is completely insignificant.

What should he say? How about giving me one coach that's claimed they were super bowl bound or how great their talent level is?

Seriously, thank you for proving there are some Jets fans not blinded by the moron coach

Has nothing to do with being blinded by a coach who's forgotten more about football than you'll ever know, and everything to do with not being blinded by irrational hatred.

I recognize that Rex has flaws as a head coach. But he's gonna be here next year, and I'm hoping he can learn from his past mistakes. What else am I gonna do, lambast the guy in every other post on a message board? I'd rather be upbeat and positive. Like Rex!

Has nothing to do with being blinded by a coach who's forgotten more about football than you'll ever know, and everything to do with not being blinded by irrational hatred.

I recognize that Rex has flaws as a head coach. But he's gonna be here next year, and I'm hoping he can learn from his past mistakes. What else am I gonna do, lambast the guy in every other post on a message board? I'd rather be upbeat and positive. Like Rex!

Hey, it's cool, we all have our opinions and our MO on a message board.

For me, I come to talk Jets, straight up. If I like what I see, I will happily post about it, same with if I don't like what I see, I will happily post about it.

The jets are out passion, we don't see eye to eye on the direction, quite honestly I hope you and Jif and Bit are right about Rex, and that I am dead wrong and he wins a SB, nothing would make me happier.

I just think he is in way over his head, and I think things are going to get worse before they get better, but optimism is cool, I have just learned for me that optimism and the jets don't mesh well

rex's defense is so good that 3 of his assistants got DC jobs this offseason to run it (after a 6-10 year).

Pettine in Buffalo obviously but also Sutton KC and Thurman NYJ are getting promoted.

we all know the offense needs to improve but the defense is a coaching tree in progress.

I am a Jet fan, and I find it unreal how much slack that one damn game has bought Rex with many Jet fans.

It was a great game, and sadly enough, it was probably the best win in my 30+ years as a Jet fan, but this one game gets taken so far out of context its ridiculous.

It was not a SB, it was not an AFCCG, it did not lead to a SB.

It was one great win, the Pats were clearly off their game that day, the Jets had a great game plan, the offense played well, it was a great game.

Now many Jet fans want to enshrine Rex for this one damn win.

Well said.

Dont drink the Rex kool aid.

Archived