In Rex I trust

JayKwaz

This is ridiculous, ludicrous.

He does not have to say anything at all.

By your notion, every coach of every team, every year would be making these types of statements, and you never hear that type of nonsense.

He could have said a million things, he could have said I like our team, but we have to see how it plays out on the field, a million things that would have not been that.

He said it because HE built this team, all the Rex lovers need to get this through their head, this is REX's team, not Tanny, Rex.

Most head coaches say that in one way or the other. Rex had the bravado a few seasons back. But right now he has dialed it down to a point where what he says is normal for what head coaches say in this league. Its just people still live with the hangover of his pressers the first two years.

At the end of the day this is a HC that still won 6 games without the #1 player on offense and defense and the WORST QB in the NFL. Not what we want but given the handicap not too shabby.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the evidence is he has won more than he's lost and his defense is always good if not great. Why do you not accept that as evidence? be a good head coach what does that even mean? In the league if you are above .500 you are a good head coach. That's why Andy Reid got another job in 5 minutes.

I don't think you want a good head coach. You want the ghost of Vince Lombardi.

it is true Wrecks Ryan will always field a decent defense. But in the NFL of 2013 and beyond the rules changes make it so that a good defense might not really matter as much as it once did. There are not going to be any '85 Bears nor '00 Ravens ever again. You can in fact with a decent defense manage to snag 10 regular season wins tops. But you will not get far in the playoffs.

No, no they don't at all.

He said it because he built the team.

It's not the end of the world if he says so. He said that when his team was down in the pre-season for not scoring a TD. What do you expect him to say at that point ? We will self combust and start making vacation plans for Jan.

If this is an issue, than on the list of issues this team has this is issue #14567890345678

It's not the end of the world if he says so. He said that when his team was down in the pre-season for not scoring a TD. What do you expect him to say at that point ? We will self combust and start making vacation plans for Jan.

If this is an issue, than on the list of issues this team has this is issue #14567890345678

Your missing my point.

I don't give a rats ass what he says, I don't think it really matters.

I think what really matters is what we see on the field.

My whole point is he was the one who architected this team, he picked and designed this team.

It was the only reason to brag about the quality of a team that the rest of the free world looked at and saw 8-8 at best.

If he did not build the team, there was no reason to talk highly of a team someone else built, that was not very good, it makes you look like a bad coach if you cannot coach a roster you feel is the most talented you have ever had.

it is true Wrecks Ryan will always field a decent defense. But in the NFL of 2013 and beyond the rules changes make it so that a good defense might not really matter as much as it once did. There are not going to be any '85 Bears nor '00 Ravens ever again. You can in fact with a decent defense manage to snag 10 regular season wins tops. But you will not get far in the playoffs.

they need both. This idea that Rex is holding them back from winning because he's defensive is not true. Bellichek is defensive. Harbaugh is a special teams coach. Rex just needs a Tom Brady or Joe Flacco.

Seems to me the jets just let go of everyone that was in place when Rex was first hired, with the exception of Sparano. Schitty was forced upon Rex, the jets thought they were close when they hired Rex to step in after mangini, and it almost worked. But now it's time for Rex to put his stamp on the staff, and he will be held accountable for it. This next year will be very telling about Rex's capabilities.

Semper Fi

Your missing my point.

I don't give a rats ass what he says, I don't think it really matters.

I think what really matters is what we see on the field.

My whole point is he was the one who architected this team, he picked and designed this team.

It was the only reason to brag about the quality of a team that the rest of the free world looked at and saw 8-8 at best.

If he did not build the team, there was no reason to talk highly of a team someone else built, that was not very good, it makes you look like a bad coach if you cannot coach a roster you feel is the most talented you have ever had.

Its not the end of the world. And we do not know for sure that Rex built this team.

And even if he did what is he supposed to say after a poor pre season ? Please let us know

Its not the end of the world. And we do not know for sure that Rex built this team.

And even if he did what is he supposed to say after a poor pre season ? Please let us know

We have work to do???

Pre season means nothing???

Anything, why in the world does he say this is his most talented team unless he truly believes it, there is zero upside to telling everyone that.

Its been well documented that this is not the case.

But I would expect you as a strong Rex apologist to ignore the reality.

Replace Rex with Sanchez and this sounds word-for-word like one of our arguments from most of the 2012 pre-season and regular season. At least until most of the season was over anyway.

That plus it's rumored I can be a dick.

Its been well documented that this is not the case.

But I would expect you as a strong Rex apologist to ignore the reality.

The problem on the Jets is personnel based. The cap structure is top heavy with under performing players, to put it mildly. As much as you want to blame Rex for all of that, it's obvious that the owner blamed Tannenbaum - a guy who's had his ear since he first bought the team. That's the reality here. Your version of reality is merely speculation.

I don't dispute that Rex had a lot of input in personnel matters, but believe that that was largely because of Tannenbaum's lack of qualifications as a talent evaluator. He leaned too heavily on a coach who clearly does not have an unbiased eye for talent and its monetary value. That's why Tannenbaum is gone, and why the Jets need to bring in a GM who's fully capable of evaluating talent on his own, and equally capable of saying no to Rex.

Replace Rex with Sanchez and this sounds word-for-word like one of our arguments from most of the 2012 pre-season and regular season. At least until most of the season was over anyway.

That plus it's rumored I can be a dick.

I soooooo don't want to rehash this.

BUT, I still maintain I am not, nor ever was a Sanchez apologist.

Since coming here, I said he sucked.

I blamed a lot of the suck on the way he was developed, and argued that he has such crap around him that short of an elite QB, it would not make much of a difference.

I said I thought at one point he showed me he had potential, but that potential was long gone.

Regardless of what anyone thinks Sanchez could have become, I think it would be hard for anyone to claim he was developed properly, and my argument was don't let Rex do this again.

I also argued that it made zero sense to me to draft him where they did, and not commit to building a solid offense around him, and I still maintain that. That does not mean he does not suck, and does not mean he would not suck, but it is so stupid to draft a QB that high, and not do everything you possibly can to make sure he is successful.

From coaching, to surrounding personnel, you have to make it work, or you have a disaster on your hands, like we have now.

The problem on the Jets is personnel based. The cap structure is top heavy with under performing players, to put it mildly. As much as you want to blame Rex for all of that, it's obvious that the owner blamed Tannenbaum - a guy who's had his ear since he first bought the team. That's the reality here. Your version of reality is merely speculation.

I don't dispute that Rex had a lot of input in personnel matters, but believe that that was largely because of Tannenbaum's lack of qualifications as a talent evaluator. He leaned too heavily on a coach who clearly does not have an unbiased eye for talent and its monetary value. That's why Tannenbaum is gone, and why the Jets need to bring in a GM who's fully capable of evaluating talent on his own, and equally capable of saying no to Rex.

I disagree with it being becuase of Tannys lack of qualifications.

I believe firmly that Parcells instilled in this organization his firm beliefs that the coach has to pick the roster. Its the way he did it, the way Belicheck did it, the way he taught all of his hires here, including Tanny.

Tanny was brought in to be a Paoli type GM, that was a strategic decision, the only reason you do that is to let the HC pick the roster.

And that is exactly what they did, let Rex pick the roster.

I believe firmly that Parcells instilled in this organization his firm beliefs that the coach has to pick the roster. Its the way he did it, the way Belicheck did it, the way he taught all of his hires here, including Tanny.

Tanny was brought in to be a Paoli type GM, that was a strategic decision, the only reason you do that is to let the HC pick the roster.

Ironically the only place Tuna was allowed to do it was here. Not with the Giants, not with New England, and not with Dallas. They gave him a lot of leeway, I'm sure, but he didn't get final say on things elsewhere like Hess gave him with the Jets.

None of us really knows how much say Rex had or the degrees to which his opinion was sought for free agents and roster spots. I'm sure it was significant (as it likely is with all head coaches) but I don't know that it equates to Rex picking the roster - including FAs - on his own.

You can disagree all you like, but the fact is that Tannenbaum is clearly the guy the owner blamed for the current state of the team. Even if he was brought in to simply manage contracts, he screwed that up, too. That's not the move the owner would make if Rex was, in fact, making all the calls personnel-wise.

Great thread. Totally agree.Especially after seeing coaching this weekend. It was awful. Dont even know where to begin.

Carroll completely blew the end of each half. Went for it early on 4th in their territory and spotted them another 3pts. Team came out completely flat again. The 3rd and 1 and they dont give the ball to the Beast once.

Mike Smith is half retarded taking a time out with time on the clock before the FG and then an onside giving them a chance for a Hail Mary.

John Fox had 38 seconds, 3 timeout and Manning but went into OT. Then the 52 yard FG in 15 degree weather at the half which the Ravens turned into points was moronic.

Rex is twice the coach than all these boobs and all of them should lose their jobs for being so stupid.

You can disagree all you like, but the fact is that Tannenbaum is clearly the guy the owner blamed for the current state of the team. Even if he was brought in to simply manage contracts, he screwed that up, too. That's not the move the owner would make if Rex was, in fact, making all the calls personnel-wise.

Your assuming Woody has a brain, I don't think he does.

Woody loves Rex, Rex brings attention to the Jets, that is what Woody cares about.

Tanny was a scapegoat, nothing more.

Woody knew he needed to do something about the debacle that is the current Jets, he fired the guy who does not garner attention for his franchise.

IMO, assuming anything else at all is silly

tanny was fired for the Sanchez draft pick. As well he should. Woody isn't perfect but let's be real he's not making draft picks out of a athlon magazine. He relies on football people to make football decisions and Tanny was fired for too many bad decisions.

Rex's decisions are more along the lines of should we run the 4-6 on 3rd and short or who should be inactive on sunday.

tanny was fired for the Sanchez draft pick. As well he should. Woody isn't perfect but let's be real he's not making draft picks out of a athlon magazine. He relies on football people to make football decisions and Tanny was fired for too many bad decisions.

Rex's decisions are more along the lines of should we run the 4-6 on 3rd and short or who should be inactive on sunday.

This conflicts with everything I have read on the subject, which clearly stated Rex wanted Sanchez over Freeman.

I know Tanny has a Sanchez tat on his shoulder, but but that does not mean Tanny wanted him.....

Oh wait.......

This conflicts with everything I have read on the subject, which clearly stated Rex wanted Sanchez over Freeman.

serious question is Josh Freeman better than Mark Sanchez? I mean yeah he might be a little better but neither of these players are good.

put it another way Tanny made the framework of the decision. they decided they would go all in on QB in a weak QB draft year. A good GM steps back and says, wait this class sucks let's wait.

Rex didn't make the decision, he was consulted on which QB to draft, given 2 choices, which dozens of people chimed in on that year. Tanny could have done whatever, and he made the ultimate call.

1. We wouldn't have had to trade up for Freeman.

2. We extended Sanchez even when we knew he sucked.

if you remember the deal it was like the Rat, Abram Elam and Kenyon Coleman. Not a high price paid. The extension was a double down they could have drafted Freeman and extended him and been in the same situation. Freeman had 10 fumbles this year, and 17 int (22 int last year). Neither was a good pick.

Parcells sucked at picking rosters. His lunacy about personnel is what made him leave the Giants and NE and it's probably why he never really won big anywhere else. He was good at creating a culture, but as a GM he was very suspect. Rex could be picking the talent and it still could be Tanny's fault. The contracts a bunch of these guys got were not realistic. Pace, Harris, Scott, Sanchez all got more money than they probably should have. Talent-wise that group is fine except for Sanchez, but the length and size of the deals is debilitating.

if you remember the deal it was like the Rat, Abram Elam and Kenyon Coleman. Not a high price paid. The extension was a double down they could have drafted Freeman and extended him and been in the same situation. Freeman had 10 fumbles this year, and 17 int (22 int last year). Neither was a good pick.

Actually it was the first (17 overall) and second, plus Ratliff, Coleman and Elam. The Browns picked Veikune who is in the CFL now, but the next picks were in order: LeSean McCOy, Phil Loadholt, William Moore, Fili Moala, Paul Kruger and Sebastian Vollmer. There was plenty of NFL talent there that could be helping the Jets.

I know that everybody is in love with Mangold, but watching the games this weekend was anybody else struck that we might be better off with Abraham and Jonathan Goodwin than Mangold?

Your assuming Woody has a brain, I don't think he does.

Woody loves Rex, Rex brings attention to the Jets, that is what Woody cares about.

Woody knew he needed to do something about the debacle that is the current Jets, he fired the guy who does not garner attention for his franchise.

IMO, assuming anything else at all is silly

Yeah... no.

It's funny to say Woody's an idiot, but trying to formulate an actual theory based on Woody being an idiot is, well, silly. The guy doesn't know football. I think he knows he doesn't know football, and continues to learn how little about it he actually knows about it, but he's not an idiot.

First he leaned on Parcells, hired Parcells' recommendation in Bradway, then promoted Rex's guy Tannenbaum to GM. Since he's been the owner, Tannenbaum has been the lone high level constant. He's not a guy that Woody would use as a scapegoat. Tannenbaum was fired because Woody suddenly came to realize that the guy he's been relying on for football knowledge doesn't have all that much, himself.

Thinking that all Woody cares about is attention is also silly. Sure, he likes the back page, but the man also understands that the key to success (read:$$) in this league is to actually be successful. He wants to win. He may not be going about it the right way, but that's his goal.

I'm not 100% sold that Woody's 100% sold on Rex, either. I think he likes him, and that Rex is now his trusted football guy, but I don't know how much of keeping him around isn't just a little penny pinching. He has to pay out Tannenbaum's contract, Sparano's, maybe he doesn't want to pay Rex for nothing, either.

Also important to note about the Sanchez deal is that the Jets were apparently in love with Shonn Greene. I am probably the only guy left that didn't jump off his bandwagon, but they wanted him badly enough to trade up - giving up their 3rd, 4th and 7th for the top pick in the 3rd round. If they didn't make the Sanchez deal they could have picked Freeman, then not picked McCoy, Kruger or any of those others, simply picked Greene in the 2nd and kept their own 3rd, 4th and 7th. If they wanted WRs that could have netted them Mike Wallace and Louis Murphy in the 3rd and 4th.

Also important to note about the Sanchez deal is that the Jets were apparently in love with Shonn Greene. I am probably the only guy left that didn't jump off his bandwagon, but they wanted him badly enough to trade up - giving up their 3rd, 4th and 7th for the top pick in the 3rd round. If they didn't make the Sanchez deal they could have picked Freeman, then not picked McCoy, Kruger or any of those others, simply picked Greene in the 2nd and kept their own 3rd, 4th and 7th. If they wanted WRs that could have netted them Mike Wallace and Louis Murphy in the 3rd and 4th.

Big issue with the organization is the inability to evaluate backs. Greene, McKnight, Powell...all meh at best.

Because I have to. I am a Jets fan all the way. Dont have it in me to root for anyone else. I am hoping that he has learned a lot of tough lessons these past four seasons. He was with the Ravens, a very well run team. He has been around football good and bad his whole life. He doesnt seem to be too stubborn to not learn from his amd others mistakes. I like Rex and feel he can be a great coach. Giving him more control is fine with me. I want my head coach to have a lot of if not final say in personel decisions.

I could ramble on for a lot longer, but i will leave that for more debate as I have to get my kids to bed.

I guess you were sitting on a stool at the other end of the bar when Wrecks started his speech on how good the talent was on the team and thats when you bought into all the BS...right?

I'm not sure that's the main problem. They managed to be at the top of the league in rushing a couple of years. I think the problem may have been underestimating the value of Woody to the run game.

Woody was really, really good.

Jones was average. A really good back on that 2009 team and were better than 9-7.

serious question is Josh Freeman better than Mark Sanchez? I mean yeah he might be a little better but neither of these players are good.

put it another way Tanny made the framework of the decision. they decided they would go all in on QB in a weak QB draft year. A good GM steps back and says, wait this class sucks let's wait.

Rex didn't make the decision, he was consulted on which QB to draft, given 2 choices, which dozens of people chimed in on that year. Tanny could have done whatever, and he made the ultimate call.

Honestly, no, I don't think Freeman is that much better.

My opinion is that the idea of drafting a first round QB came from Woody, and that Rex picked Sanchez over Freeman.

Parcells sucked at picking rosters. His lunacy about personnel is what made him leave the Giants and NE and it's probably why he never really won big anywhere else. He was good at creating a culture, but as a GM he was very suspect. Rex could be picking the talent and it still could be Tanny's fault. The contracts a bunch of these guys got were not realistic. Pace, Harris, Scott, Sanchez all got more money than they probably should have. Talent-wise that group is fine except for Sanchez, but the length and size of the deals is debilitating.

I agree, and I don't love Parcells.

My point was only about how Parcells firmly held that belief, and instilled it in this franchise, hence, Rex picks the players.

Archived