Interesting FAs for Los Yets to look at.

SenorGato

I will not list a QB. The QB is it's own thing for now. Obviously these are to varying degrees:

Ramses Barden - Young Giants WR had one big game on National TV and promptly went into Coughlin's doghouse again. That should keep his price low, though he probably will have a number of teams looking at him. Good size and could turn into a valuable possession WR.

Andre Smith/Gosder Cherlius - Both are candidates to be resigned by their teams, but either would give the Jets big, athletic, power RTs.

Jairus Byrd - The Great and Mysteriously Absent RJF called him the best cover safety in the league. That's quite an endorsement, and Byrd has been a standout since his rookie year to earn it.

Kenny Phillips - The Laron Landry of the 2013 offseason?

Rashard Mendenhall - Has shown some pretty dirty potential, but might not have the fire that burns in the belly, the soul.

Julian Edelman - Has shown he can be a nuisance and is comfortable in the slot. Could do well running good routes for Mornhinweg.

John Phillips - Cowboys' third TE was a solid prospect comin' outt of Vahginya, and has some ability to both catch and block. Better size than anyone the Jets currently have.

Bear Pascoe - Giants blocking TE is a personal favorite, but he is an RFA and his pass catching ability is in question.

Anthony Fasano - Another TE I've liked as a fit for Los Yets for a while. Aggressive and again has better size than any TE the Jets currently have.

Delanie Walker - Also goes by Not Vernon Davis. Excellent reputation as a blocker and had his best pass catching season. Will be 29 in his 8th season, wihch for some reason stood out to me. Seems like he could be one of those good locker room guys, and is a versatile player.

Leonard Pope - He's still in the league and he's huge. Doesn't seem to get much use in the pass game.

Eben Britton - Lots of injuries and a finesse blocker at RT, but has always had good upside.

Jeremy Trueblood - Has started 84 of 101 possible games in his career and is only 29. Not sure what he brings but I remember at one point he got compliments and he's young enough so he made it.

Jason Brown - He was a good interior OL once. No clue wtf happened.

Michael Johnson - Team has no DE/OLBs on the roster, and Johnson has played both. Young, freakishly athletic, coming into his prime, and has posted some numbers. Could easily find a role here for the right price. Like Smith, the Bengals probably will end up keeping him, but should be high up on the list of wants if he does hit FA.

Mike DeVito - He still has a role here.

Sammie Lee Hill - Mammoth guy, but hasn't done much that I know of at least.

Tavares Gooden - Has wandered around between the 49ers and Ravens. Always kinda liked him but he's never done anything. Seems like good LB depth.

Rashean Mathis - Maybe he can be a chill DB and play a hybrid CB/S/DB role for the defense. I can't believe he had to spend his whole solid career in Jacksonville.

Nate Clements - Nate Bell? Yeremiah Clements? Kind of a model for what Mathis could do as Clements played safety for the Bengals last year.

Louis Delmas - Injuries but talented.

A kicker.

I will not list a QB. The QB is it's own thing for now. Obviously these are to varying degrees:

Ramses Barden - Young Giants WR had one big game on National TV and promptly went into Coughlin's doghouse again. That should keep his price low, though he probably will have a number of teams looking at him. Good size and could turn into a valuable possession WR.

Andre Smith/Gosder Cherlius - Both are candidates to be resigned by their teams, but either would give the Jets big, athletic, power RTs.

Jairus Byrd - The Great and Mysteriously Absent RJF called him the best cover safety in the league. That's quite an endorsement, and Byrd has been a standout since his rookie year to earn it.

Kenny Phillips - The Laron Landry of the 2013 offseason?

Rashard Mendenhall - Has shown some pretty dirty potential, but might not have the fire that burns in the belly, the soul.

Julian Edelman - Has shown he can be a nuisance and is comfortable in the slot. Could do well running good routes for Mornhinweg.

John Phillips - Cowboys' third TE was a solid prospect comin' outt of Vahginya, and has some ability to both catch and block. Better size than anyone the Jets currently have.

Bear Pascoe - Giants blocking TE is a personal favorite, but he is an RFA and his pass catching ability is in question.

Anthony Fasano - Another TE I've liked as a fit for Los Yets for a while. Aggressive and again has better size than any TE the Jets currently have.

Delanie Walker - Also goes by Not Vernon Davis. Excellent reputation as a blocker and had his best pass catching season. Will be 29 in his 8th season, wihch for some reason stood out to me. Seems like he could be one of those good locker room guys, and is a versatile player.

Leonard Pope - He's still in the league and he's huge. Doesn't seem to get much use in the pass game.

Eben Britton - Lots of injuries and a finesse blocker at RT, but has always had good upside.

Jeremy Trueblood - Has started 84 of 101 possible games in his career and is only 29. Not sure what he brings but I remember at one point he got compliments and he's young enough so he made it.

Jason Brown - He was a good interior OL once. No clue wtf happened.

Michael Johnson - Team has no DE/OLBs on the roster, and Johnson has played both. Young, freakishly athletic, coming into his prime, and has posted some numbers. Could easily find a role here for the right price. Like Smith, the Bengals probably will end up keeping him, but should be high up on the list of wants if he does hit FA.

Mike DeVito - He still has a role here.

Sammie Lee Hill - Mammoth guy, but hasn't done much that I know of at least.

Tavares Gooden - Has wandered around between the 49ers and Ravens. Always kinda liked him but he's never done anything. Seems like good LB depth.

Rashean Mathis - Maybe he can be a chill DB and play a hybrid CB/S/DB role for the defense. I can't believe he had to spend his whole solid career in Jacksonville.

Nate Clements - Nate Bell? Yeremiah Clements? Kind of a model for what Mathis could do as Clements played safety for the Bengals last year.

Louis Delmas - Injuries but talented.

A kicker.

Great job mr kat

A lot of good names on that list, I'm a supporter of Delanie Walker joining the team, we need some more guys that aren't household names but do their effing job really, really well. He does.

So agree with you on Rashean Mathis, can't believe he had to rot his whole career in Jax.

No Danny Woodhead?  He seems to make some sense for this team now.  Fits the Mornhinweg system much more than what we've been doing here the last couple of years.  

A lot of good names on that list, I'm a supporter of Delanie Walker joining the team, we need some more guys that aren't household names but do their effing job really, really well. He does.

So agree with you on Rashean Mathis, can't believe he had to rot his whole career in Jax.

I am not so high on Delanie Walker because I watched him drop a ton of balls down the stretch.  He can catch though and somebody on this board said he was a great blocker, so I am probably just undulybiased against him based on the games I watched. I read a piece on him where he admitted he would have to do a better job and work on his concentration.  

No Danny Woodhead?  He seems to make some sense for this team now.  Fits the Mornhinweg system much more than what we've been doing here the last couple of years.  

I am not so high on Delanie Walker because I watched him drop a ton of balls down the stretch.  He can catch though and somebody on this board said he was a great blocker, so I am probably just undulybiased against him based on the games I watched. I read a piece on him where he admitted he would have to do a better job and work on his concentration.  

Guys like Walker are role-players, we have very few on our current roster. We have dudes we missed on completely that need to go, and dudes who are good but we can't afford to keep. Not much in between.

What are the thoughts on Michael Johnson from the Bengals? He SEEMS to fit like a glove to this roster, and is the perfect age for a FA on this roster.

Methinks the Bengals are $54M under the cap.  They really have no excuse to let their young, talented players not be resigned.  Might as well scratch him and Andre off your list. 

Rashard Mendenhall

Louis Delmas or Kenny Phillips

Delanie Walker

Sammie Lee Hill

I like the above group of guys. Beside Johnson, Andre Smith and Gosder Cherlius all should be affordable as well but got to admit there's some unknown guys who I haven't seen play to even comment about but for the most part good job in finding candidates to fill out our roster.

Not sure why Mendenhall is getting this sort of backlash for a guy who can come cheap and give us reasonable production.

Also what about QB?

Not sure why Mendenhall is getting this sort of backlash for a guy who can come cheap and give us reasonable production.

Because he is always hurt and when he's not he is 3 yards and fall down all over again. He's not any different than Powell in many respects. They need a faster, shiftier, pass catcher like Forsett or Bernard Scott on the cheap.

Why do you think Mendenhaal comes cheap?

Because he is always hurt and when he's not he is 3 yards and fall down all over again. He's not any different than Powell in many respects. They need a faster, shiftier, pass catcher like Forsett or Bernard Scott on the cheap.

Forsett and Scott are terrible. The Jets need a starting, 300 carry running back, not a platoon of JAGs. The only way to get that is through the draft. 

It was Victor Butler.  LAD caught it in his mock. 

Butler needs to start. It was said he filled in good for Spencer and Ware when they were out and needed rest. He also graded out good as well in the ranking system but got to admit that I haven't seen him in the NFL since leaving college to want him base off my own opinion. I see Rex of the Saints targeting him for his 3-4.

Both of those guys suck. Mendenhall has way more upside.

Both of those guys suck. Mendenhall has way more upside.

I like him for our team two years ago; he would have been an ideal G&P compliment to Shonn Greene.  However, I think our new RB is going to need receiving skills.  This is based entirely off of how LeSean McCoy was used in Philly.  I'm assuming a good WCO running back will stay in the pocket to protect the QB, then leak out for safety-valve dump offs.  

Mendenhall hasn't shown that he can be reliable in that capacity: 

2008: 3 targets, 2 receptions

2009: 32 targets, 25 receptions

2010: 34 targets, 23 receptions

2011: 28 targets, 18 receptions

2012: 11 targets, 9 receptions

total: 108 targets, 77 receptions  = %71 catch rate

To see what that looks like compared to LeSean McCoy:

2009: 56 targets, 40 receptions

2010: 90 targets, 78 receptions

2011: 69 targets, 48 receptions

2012: 67 targets, 54 receptions

total: 282 targets, 220 receptions = %78 catch rate 

Then again, Shady McCoy goes (5'11, 208).  Powell is (5'10, 205) and Joe McKnight is (5'11, 205).  Maybe it's not so far fetched to believe that we'll lean on one of our rostered players to fill the McCoy roll, and get a bigger back through FA or the draft.  I'd be surprised if we don't add some beef to our backfield...I just wouldn't count on that addition to be our main dude. 

Levitre is better and younger.

Younger yes, he's 26.  Moore is 32.  

Better? how? This is the only site I know that can create stats for the non-flash positions. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

It has Moore ranked #1, Levitre #2, Scwartz #3.

Of the three Levitre figures to cost the most...why break the bank on a RG when we can take care of our own, and keep the continuity alive? 

LeVitre is a lot like a younger, healthier Moore.

Not worth the big bucks...not this year anyway.

If we are dead set on signing an OG in free agency, we should add a small-change guy like Geoff Schwartz, and then draft a young player to provide depth.  We can likely get Warford in the second round, and he's a beast.  Last years #39 pick (Janoris Jenkins) was signed for 4 years at $4.99M.  We can then have youth, talent, depth and money left over. 

You get talent talent is there to be had so neg on the "not this year" part. It's not as if these players are one time use and he'll drop dead after this season at 27/28.

Schwartz can be signed as well, but LeVitre should be the #1 target. Schwartz isn't stopping any signings, he's a hipster/sleeper guy that also makes sense for Los Yets.

You get talent talent is there to be had so neg on the "not this year" part. It's not as if these players are one time use and he'll drop dead after this season at 27/28.

Schwartz can be signed as well, but LeVitre should be the #1 target. Schwartz isn't stopping any signings, he's a hipster/sleeper guy that also makes sense for Los Yets.

1. You don't know that. 

2. If we're going to spend the money that Levitre will command, I would rather it be used to keep Landry, or sign Anthony Spencer.

LeVitre is a better and more worthwhile long term piece than either of those guys. He's the youngest of the three at a position that ages better than the other two, and a similar level of talent to those two relative to position (if he's not just outright better).

LeVitre is a better and more worthwhile long term piece than either of those guys. He's the youngest of the three at a position that ages better than the other two, and a similar level of talent to those two relative to position (if he's not just outright better).

Meh. 

Archived