Jets expected to visit with Dee Milliner

F.Chowds

Posted by Josh Alper on April 4, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
300x-42.jpg?w=250AP

The Jets haven’t traded cornerback Darrelle Revis yet, but it looks like they’ll be meeting with a potential replacement in the near future.

Manish Mehta and Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports that Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner will visit with the Jets ahead of the draft later this month. The Jets are selecting ninth in the first round later this month, a spot that could give them a shot at adding the player who is widely considered the top cornerback in this year’s draft class.

Milliner has been meeting with many teams picking in the first half of the draft and figures to be off the board early in the draft’s first day. By running well at the combine in February, Milliner quieted one of the remaining concerns about his game and likely cemented himself as a top 10 selection. With Detroit picking fifth and needing help at corner badly, the Jets and other interested parties might need to trade up to have a shot at securing Milliner’s services.

If the Jets do wind up dealing Revis before draft, they’ll still have Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson at the position heading into next season. That could be enough to make other positions a priority, especially if Milliner is off the board before they make their pick.

It would kinda suck to trade Revis then draft Milliner. It would be like a straight trade Bottom line being about nothing but money.

That said, well, **** Revis.

I know they learned this a long time ago, but this Revis situation is exhibit 1238020342243821402184 for the NFL that fans are easily brainwashed. 

I know they learned this a long time ago, but this Revis situation is exhibit 1238020342243821402184 for the NFL that fans are easily brainwashed. 

The issue is money.  They dont want to pay Revis. They dont like his attitude.   They dont like his greed.  Hell maybe they dont think his position is worth close to what he wants.   So draft this young guy.  Maybe he's not Revis, but Cromartie.   What happens in a few years when the guy wants to be paid like a star? Do they start over.     

Revis at $10 Mil per year is worth it.  Maybe he is too greedy and will never even think about that.  Maybe the Jets don't care, who knows.  To me, if there is no negotiation at all, which there doesn't seem to be at this point. I mean if the Bucs gave the Jets their 13th pick, this trade already happened, and the jets never bothered to even attempt to negotiate a deal with Revis.      And how bad would it look if Revis agrees to some 10.5 Million deal per year with the Bucs?  

This is why it would suck if they went out and picked up another CB in the first round after bailing on the best CB in the NFL and one of the best players the Jets ever had.    By the time the Jets are good again and this new CB is maybe a star, he'll be dumped because he's to much money?    To me it's one thing to think the CB position is just far too expensive for what Revis is asking.  So you trade him, build up your team with the draft, hope to find a QB, and so on.   If you trade him and wind up taking a CB with the 9th pick,  how the hell does that make any sense?

The issue is money.  They dont want to pay Revis. They dont like his attitude.   They dont like his greed.  

1. You just went away from money and into things you made up within two sentences. Not surprising - it's a tactic that has been well greeted here this offseason.

2. No one real has said they don't want to pay Revis, more made up stuff.

3. They should LOVE his greed. It's the same kind of greed the owners have but on the other side. Fans have long been conditioned to treat a player like Revis with disdain. 

You keep protecting Woody and his grandparents' money. I'm sure it'll pay off. He'll be more than happy to protect your money like you protect his once you fork yours over to him.

1. You just went away from money and into things you made up within two sentences. Not surprising - it's a tactic that has been well greeted here this offseason.

3. They should LOVE his greed. It's the same kind of greed the owners have but on the other side. Fans have long been conditioned to treat a player like Revis with disdain. 

You keep protecting Woody and his grandparents' money. I'm sure it'll pay off. He'll be more than happy to protect your money like you protect his once you fork yours over to him.

You making up your own arguments to argue with yourself?   This makes no sense.  

I don't know what the Jets FO or Woody thinks.  All I know is if the Bucs offered #13 Revis would already be gone.  They never negotiated or cared to negotiate with the guy.   We have heard from Revis about having issues from the top.  Why would he come out and say something if everything was perfect? 

Hell, Revis said he was shocked to learn about being traded and shocked that nobody from the Jets spoke to him at one point this offseason.

None of that stuff is made up.      And teams who aren't negotiating with a star player aren't looking to pay them.   The Jets have not said they won't pay Revis, but they sure are acting like a team who doesn't want to pay him.    Last offseason the Ravens weren't trying to trade Flacco.  They were throwing out potential offers.   He rejected them, nothing happen till this offseason, and he cashed in.  And the Ravens paid him.     The Packers and Rodgers are supposedly working out some deal.     The Broncos wanted Elvis to take a paycut,  it didn't work out and he's long gone now.  The Patriots didn't want to pay Welker what he wanted and he's long gone now.   

Teams who want to keep and pay a player, try to work things out.  They don't let rumors fly and run with it that a trade is in the works.  Everybody and their brother assumes Revis will be traded to the Bucs by the draft.  Whether that's real or not, it's a bad move on the Jets part if they don't plan on trading the guy and want to sign him long term.   Kind of dumb really.  So if the Jets aren't dumb,  it means they don't want to pay him what they think he wants and he will be traded.    And we've heard the Bucs are willing to pay Revis $12-16 million per year already.   Somebody around the league and in the FO seem to think that's his going rate.  They didn't get that from any NFL team forum or fans coming up with that number.

None of that stuff is made up.  

It's this that is the crux, because it's simply not true. 

I don't know what the Jets FO or Woody thinks.

The issue is money.  They dont want to pay Revis. They dont like his attitude.   They dont like his greed.

Lolwut. 

So these answers about Revis being traded were made up?  

"I think it's way premature to say anything specific,"

I haven’t even had the chance to sit down and thoroughly vet through our roster with Rex [Ryan] and our personnel staff. So I think it would be presumptuous to say anything.” Idzik said.

Hell the rumors from the combine is that Idzik was shopping Revis.  Somebody leaked that info and it probably wasn't the Jets.  They ignored Revis's agent, but were openly shopping the guy.   Yeah fans are making all this stuff up just to argue.

And there have been numerous reports that say the Bucs are willing to pay Revis anywhere from $12-15 million per year.  Willing.

There are no reports that say the Jets are willing to pay Revis anything.

And Revis talking about possibly being traded are made up by who?

"I'm speechless by far but more importantly I feel more upset for the jet nation for having to go through this!!!" Revis tweeted.

Revis also added: "I guess we’ll see how this plays out."

"Yeah, this hit home. This definitely hit home, especially being one of the best players out there," he said.

"Come to find out you getting shopped, yeah, it really hits home."

"But my main focus is it really doesn't matter where I'm at. I know what I can do. I'm confident in what I do and that's why I'm here at Brett Fischer's working out. Whether it be there with the New York Jets, or if it be with another team, I have to do what I have to do and play ball and do my services for that team."

"I was speechless because I didn't get a phone call," Revis told NFL Network's Andrea Kremer. "I know it's a business — just call me, don't have it lingering out there. I need answers, and I'm not getting none. Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team, (but) if that's how you want to do business, then that's fine."

"It starts from the top, it starts with Woody Johnson," said Revis, who agreed Johnson may not want to fork over what it would cost to keep him. "That might be a situation. That might be something. That might be an option. If I do get traded, I'm not going to sit here and pout and cry. But I told them numerous times that I want to be there, so it's up to them and management of what they want to do."

And Back in 2010,  when negotiations with Revis seemed to be at a standstill,  what was Woody's response about Revis and the Jets making a deal and Revis playing for them that year?

"My gut feeling is, I would say no."

So far you have one team, The Bucs, who seem willing to pay Revis what he wants, willing to trade away draft picks for him and you have a player who is hurt, shocked etc.   On the other side you have a team in the Jets who never dispute the trade rumors, aren't even talking to Revis according to Revis, which means they aren't even negotiating with the guy.     So maybe it's not about money, greed, attitude, etc.   It has to be about something then because the Jets haven't attempted to squash the trade rumors after people claimed they were shopping him, they haven't seemed to even have any desire to really talk to Revis or his agent, and it seems the only thing they agree to is the fact they want a #1 this year from the Bucs for Revis. 

Sorry but if an owner and a GM think the best player on your team is worth keeping,  you probably go out of your way to squash any rumors that has him going to another team.  Especially in a contract year. Especially after that said player says he was hurt, shocked, it comes from the top.   Everything points to the Jets having no desire to resign the guy for whatever reason.   At this point what else is there besides money and attitude?  

Revis is the best player on the Jets.  Whether you think he's worth whatever money is a different story.  Regardless you see how most teams treat their star players whom they don't want to lose.  

The Packers and Rodgers are negotiating a deal.    
The Ravens and Flacco agreed to a deal.

Hell, Brady and the Patriots renegotiated a deal.

The Patriots signed Arrington to a 4 year deal,  re-signed Talib for one year, and re signed their safety Wilson.

None of those guys are on par or in the same money range as Revis, but it goes to show you when you want to resign a player, you do.

Look at it another way.  The Patriots didn't seem to interested in signing Welker. And in the end they didn't.    

The Jets don't seem too interested in signing Revis to a long term contract.  All the excuses in the book don't make up for what's been going on this offseason.  

And the truth is if Revis isn't demanding 12-16 million a year and winds up signing some $10.5 million per year deal with the Bucs,  the Jets new GM and Owner are morons.

So these answers about Revis being traded were made up?  

The very first thing you bold:

"I think it's way premature to say anything specific,"

I haven’t even had the chance to sit down and thoroughly vet through our roster with Rex [Ryan] and our personnel staff. So I think it would be presumptuous to say anything.” Idzik said.

You people, because I know this board is full of people who buy this stuff, need to look up the definition of answer.

And Back in 2010,  when negotiations with Revis seemed to be at a standstill,  what was Woody's response about Revis and the Jets making a deal and Revis playing for them that year?

"My gut feeling is, I would say no."

Rotfl he played for the team in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Why would you bold "and" and pretend the whole rest of that context...**** it...I know what I'm dealing with so no reason to pretend there's any fighting this kind of nonsense. 

The very first thing you bold:

You people, because I know this board is full of people who buy this stuff, need to look up the definition of answer.

Rotfl he played for the team in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Why would you bold "and" and pretend the whole rest of that context...**** it...I know what I'm dealing with so there really is no reason to pretend there's any fighting this kind of nonsense. 

Answer..   When somebody asks you about your star player possible being traded and you refuse to directly answer the question, nothing more needs to be said.   Thats the funny part you don't seem to comprehend.

it would be like some wife finding something or hearing stories and asking her husband,  "Have you been cheating?"   Instead of saying No, the husband dances around the question and starts talking about friends, work, business, and everything else.     

And Woody Johnson.  The guy throws out the "no one player is more important than the team."

Saying all that, these rumors and quotes and stories mean nothing if the Jets and Revis were attempting to make a deal.  

it's obvious they aren't.

Packers and Rodgers are a few million apart on some deal, but there is a negotiation going on.  And he isn't a UFA  till what, 2015.

But they want to lock him up long term and pay the guy.    

On the other hand the Jets have Revis who is a free agent next year and they don't seem in any hurry to sign the guy long term.

He is the best player on the Jets.  You would think they had some desire to negotiate on a long term contract with him.  No trade rumors needed.

There is the difference.   Packers and Rodgers have reports about working on a long term contract.  The Jets and Revis have reports about trading the guy.  Do you really need anything else?

None of those guys are on par or in the same money range as Revis, but it goes to show you when you want to resign a player, you do.

True, Revis is the first player in NFL history to put up a fight during extension negotiations. Good boys make it easy for masa, and Revis done made masa angry. The Pats resigning Arrington (THE Arrington?!?!?!) and Talib is totally a sign. 

The Jets don't seem too interested in signing Revis to a long term contract.

Rotfl.

All the excuses in the book don't make up for what's been going on this offseason.  

Rotfl what excuses? Where are you? Jesus Christ this is bad. 

Answer..   When somebody asks you about your star player possible being traded and you refuse to directly answer the question, nothing more needs to be said.   Thats the funny part you don't seem to comprehend.

Rotfl...so you do know what the FO and Woody is thinking?

it would be like some wife finding something or hearing stories and asking her husband,  "Have you been cheating?"   Instead of saying No, the husband dances around the question and starts talking about friends, work, business, and everything else.     

Employers and employees are not husbands and wives. 

Just stop it already...you're not even staying consistent.

The last time a player anywhere near as good as Revis was traded was a decade ago, and it took that whole decade for the Redskins to get AN act together. 

Rotfl...so you do know what the FO and Woody is thinking?

Just stop it already...

Like I said, pay attention to common sense.  

The Packers and Rodgers are working on a long term deal for a guy who isn't a UFA till 2015.

The Jets and Revis are the #13 pick from a trade being finalized.     

Guess you miss the reality of the situation.    Actions speak louder than words.   The Packers obviously think Rodgers is the future of that franchise and they are doing everything they can do lock him up long term.   While Revis is complaining things are coming from the top and talking about being hurt, shocked, etc because of trade rumors.     

You don't need to read any rumors.  Those actions right there speak about two situations that should be similar.   

Packers want Rodgers long term and are working on a deal.  If the Jets want Revis long term,  you'd think they'd be finalizing a long term deal, not a potential trade.   

What's that tell you about what the Jets FO is thinking compared to what the Packers FO is thinking?   

Like I said, pay attention to common sense.  

The Packers and Rodgers are working on a long term deal for a guy who isn't a UFA till 2015.

The Jets and Revis are the #13 pick from a trade being finalized.     

ROUND AND ROUND. 

Guess you miss the reality of the situation.  
 Actions speak louder than words.  

School.jpg

You ****in...you ****in realize the action is that they have not traded him while the words don't really say anything, right? No? Of course not, why would you...Let's hear more of the narrative. 

ROUND AND ROUND. 

School.jpg

You ****in...you ****in realize the action is that they have not traded him while the words don't really say anything, right? No? Of course not, why would you...Let's hear more of the narrative. 

Why bother.

The Actions are The Packers and Rodgers are working out a long term deal.    You know the guy is a UFA in 2015.

The Jets and Revis are working on what deal?   He's a UFA next season.  And he's been rumored to be traded.  He's talked about how that bothered him.

And yet there is no deal being worked out.  

You can't accept the fact the Jets are trying to trade him.   Maybe it's blind faith or something, who knows.    

It's funny how one team is trying to sign their star player who becomes a UFA in 2015 to a long term deal now  while another team is only rumored to be trading their star player.     What other actions do you need?          

Action would be the Jets and Revis trying to hash out a long term contract.   Action isn't forcing Revis and Idzik and Rex to alk about trade rumors.  If that is the jets overall plan,  we are in for one long bumpy bad ride.

Why bother.

This should have been your whole post. 

The Actions are The Packers and Rodgers are working out a long term deal.    You know the guy is a UFA in 2015.

WHooooooooooooooo giiiiiiiiiives a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck? WHY are you so convinced this is relevant? It doesn't mean what you want to think it means. 

The Jets and Revis are working on what deal?  

So now you're back out of the know? Man I don't know where this is going on a post to post basis.

You can't accept the fact the Jets are trying to trade him.  

Yes, actually I totally can accept that they are taking offers for a player. Teams do it allllllll the time in every single sport. You can't accept the reality that he hasn't been traded, that your "proof" is floating in a toilet, and that you (or anywhere else) has no idea what's going on. 

It's funny how one team is trying to sign their star player who becomes a UFA in 2015 to a long term deal now  while another team is only rumored to be trading their star player.     What other actions do you need?          

Probably an actual action....The Rodgers deal was reported almost a week ago by the always reliable press....Still not done...MAYBE SECRETLY THEY WANT TO TRADE HIM!?!?!?!?! Who knows? I know! Wait, I don't! Still, accept that I do! Yuch. 

Geez Gato you're going a little overboard here. Given the direct quotes from Woody and Revis himself, I think anyone can reasonably speculate that Revis will be traded or that they have no intention of resigning him. Given the history of Revis and his agents and the FO, it's an assumption that can easily be made. Of course that doesn't mean that Idz is not working with Revis agents behind the scenes, no one knows for sure. It's also possible that Tebow will be on the opening day roster, even though direct quotes and leaked information says otherwise. I wouldn't blame anyone for speculating that he will be cut and is not in the teams plans.

Given the direct quotes from Woody and Revis himself,

The Woody quote from 2010 where he ended up paying him? The Revis quote responding to rumors?

IGNORE THAT. Those minor details are only minor details and minor details are for queers.

it's an assumption that can easily be made.

What's that phrase about assumptions? They tend to make an ass out of you or something? Yeah, I think I'm fine holding the quotes to what they are and not interpreting it through how they make me feel emotionally or in my gut.

I'm not mad people are speculating Revis being traded. Feel free and speculate away. It's the laughable spin being put on that trading him *improves* the Jets in the forseeable future that grinds my gears. That and nearly everything the, for lack of a better term/phrase, "other side" has to support what they believe to be true was said either in 2010/2011, by anonymous people who may or may not exist, or said nothing at all. Hell, it's easy to say that it's a combo of all three for a few of these quotes being pulled out of the archives.

I've been following this thread since I was a little boy and still don't know what grinds Gato's gears, exactly. At first I thought it was the very idea that people would dare think that Revis was not the apple of Woody's eye but then it seems it's people daring to think you shouldn't extend a cornerback with a major knee injury and pay him ransom like he's your only hope of fielding a winning team every third year he holds out. At other times it seems the gear grinder is that Woody Guthrie and Mother Jones are dead and there's no one to speak for the little guy. Most of the time I just think it's the idea of other people thinking.

The Woody quote from 2010 where he ended up paying him? The Revis quote responding to rumors?

IGNORE THAT. Those minor details are only minor details and minor details are for queers.

What's that phrase about assumptions? They tend to make an ass out of you or something? Yeah, I think I'm fine holding the quotes to what they are and not interpreting it through how they make me feel emotionally or in my gut.

I'm not mad people are speculating Revis being traded. Feel free and speculate away. It's the laughable spin being put on that trading him *improves* the Jets in the forseeable future that grinds my gears. That and nearly everything the, for lack of a better term/phrase, "other side" has to support what they believe to be true was said either in 2010/2011, by anonymous people who may or may not exist, or said nothing at all. Hell, it's easy to say that it's a combo of all three for a few of these quotes being pulled out of the archives.

Remind me not to be in a burning building with you. "Go back to sleep. How do you know somebody's not cooking a steak?"

The fact is that this guy has become impossible to root for for many Jet fans. I count myself among these. I like to enjoy football, a 53 percent completion rate against us and second in the league in pass defense is something I can live with, especially since those numbers happened in mid season with no time to prepare for losing him, and especially if it means that we both draft and then subsequently sign some guys that I CAN live with in other areas of need. This ******* guy is something I can live without. The name on his jersey should read AGITA, because every other year his contract situation comes up like a bile burp.

Could it not be that the new Jets regime does not think they should dedicate 16 mill to the corner position?  In fact, they might not want to dedicate 10.5 mil to the corner position.  Even if the Flash was playing it.  Could it not be that simple? Don't we think if Idzik was amenable to keeping Revis he could persuade a tool like Woody? This is not The Medicis.

i like Revis and i hope they work a deal out,but he did the team wrong 2 times the year after a big contract was  agreed on.love him but not for more then 10 a year and i think Woody is done giving him a bunch of money up front and next year he holds out

Archived