5th mock (with Revis trade)

bitonti

playing around with trade scenarios this week... and hopeful scenario for the Jets. 

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2013.htm

==

1.  Kansas City Chiefs - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Still no change at the top, as Joeckel appears to be the best prospect in this draft.

Alternate picks: OT Eric Fisher, DT Sharrif Floyd, DE Ezekial Ansah. 

==

2.  Miami Dolphins (VIA JAC) - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan 

Dolphins are itching to move up and draft a franchise tackle.

Trade details: Miami sends their first and two second round picks for Jacksonville's first round pick. 

==

3. Oakland Raiders - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah 

If the Raiders can't trade down, they could draft Star to improve their D-Line. 

Alternate picks: DT Sharrif Floyd, DE Ezekial Ansah, CB Dee Milliner. 

==

4.  Philadelphia Eagles - DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida 

Local product Floyd can bookend with Fletcher Cox as a pair of stud 3-4 DE's. 

Alternate picks: DE Dion Jordan, DE Ezekial Ansah, CB Dee Milliner. 

==

5.  Detroit Lions - DE Ezekial Ansah, B.Y.U.

Lions need a pass rusher and Ansah has rare physical gifts. 

Alternate picks: CB Dee Milliner, OT Lane Johnson, DE Dion Jordan. 

==

6.  Cleveland Browns - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

Browns are a real wild card in this draft, but they do need a cornerback to pair with Haden.

Alternate picks: WR Cordarelle Patterson, DE Dion Jordan, DE Barkevious Mingo. 

==

7.  Arizona Cardinals - OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma 

The Cards O-line is in real trouble and Johnson can be a day 1 starter at left tackle. 

Alternate picks: OG Chance Warmack, DE Dion Jordan, DE Barkevious Mingo. 

==

8.  Buffalo Bills - WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Patterson should be able to step into the Z role right away and take pressure off Stevie Johnson.

Alternate picks: G Chance Warmack, WR Tavon Austin, OLB Jarvis Jones. 

==

9.  New York Jets - DE Dion Jordan, Oregon 

If Jordan falls to this point, the Jets would be glad to pick the rangy pass rusher.

Alternate picks: G Chance Warmack, WR Tavon Austin, DE Barkevious Mingo. 

==

10.  Tennessee Titans - CB Desmond Trufant, Washington 

Trufant is a player on the rise due to exceptional athleticism and bloodlines. 

Alternate picks: CB Xavier Rhodes, DE Barkevious Mingo, DE Bjoern Werner. 

==

11.  San Diego Chargers - G Jon Cooper, North Carolina

Chargers could use the talented guard to shore up the interior of their offensive line. 

Alternate picks: G Chance Warmack, CB Xavier Rhodes, DE Barkevious Mingo 

==

12.  Jacksonville Jaguars (VIA MIA) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

The entire Jags brain-trust was at Geno Smith's pro day and he could be the pick via trade down. 

Alternate picks: OT D.J. Fluker, CB Xavier Rhodes, DE Barkevious Mingo. 

==

13.  New York Jets (VIA TB) - G Chance Warmack, Alabama

Jets need to re-make their o-line and D'Brick - Warmack - Mangold is a great left side.

Trade details: Jets trade CB Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers for this first round pick, conditional third round pick in 2014. 

==

Mingo would be a fine pick up. I think a lot of the decision between him and Jordan will rest with idziks impression of their scheme versatility. Does Mingos ability to play 4-3 OLB outweigh Jordan's fit as a 4-3 DE. If Ryan gets the boot we have to prepare our roster for a smooth transition into a new defense. Having that consideration on draft day would be the smart way to boost our current defense while maintaining a contingency plan.

Although, something could be said about Jordans ability to play TE in a pinch. 6'7 is no joke.

#9 chance warmack

#13 tavon austin.

Those two picks will be an immediate lift for this offense. Secure your offensive line for a minimum 5 years which the passing and running game will benefit while adding a playmaker at the wideout position and play target practice for td's all game long

I'd go Jordan and Eifert. That's just me though.

i like both players, i just would really hate to see the jets go defense in the first round even if they were to trade revis. Our offense is that depleted of talent.

Right, but I think a better OG can be had in the 2nd vs. OLB pass rusher in the second. Or even in the third and take a WR in the second.

how bout austin and eifert

if the Jets were choosing between chance, austin and eifert and chose the latter 2, it would be understandable. both are need positions for the team. but Chance probably is higher on everyone's board. people talk about the value of taking a guard. Well taking a TE and a slot receiver isn't much better... valuewise. in a different year the TE would be a vernon davis type prospect or the WR would be hakeem nicks type of prospect. this year I believe the guard is the best prospect out of these three. 

That trade would Be the end of Idzik. It's bound to become known as Idzik's Gaffe.[/quote

How the hell would this spell the end for Idzik?

I can't think of a better scenario than us walking away from the 1st round with Jordan and Warmack. I just don't see any way that Jordan falls to #9.

People really need to get over this outdated philosophy of "you don't draft guards high in the draft".

The new rookie wage scale, for one.

In the past, teams were hesitant to take an OG in the Top 10 because they didn't want to hand out a $40+ million dollar contract to an interior OL before he even stepped on a professional football field.

Second, OL as a whole are becoming increasingly more valuable these days. It's not just LT's that are in high demand anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

The new rookie wage scale, for one.

In the past, teams were hesitant to take an OG in the Top 10 because they didn't want to hand out a $40+ million dollar contract to an interior OL before he even stepped on a professional football field.

Second, OL as a whole are becoming increasingly more valuable these days. It's not just LT's that are in high demand anymore.

Guys like Sitton, Evans, Nicks, Yanda were drafted when?  And Nicks isn't even on the team that drafted him anymore.  The Eagles drafted a guard early, benched him for some practice squad guy and the line got better.

And wasn't Decastro a guaranteed Pro bowl player to be?  Maybe one day, but it sure looks like a bad pick at this point.

People love to say they need to pick OL early these days, except you see teams like the Saints let Nicks go, and he was young, and teams like the Seahawks years ago let Hutchinson go.     The Jets already picked two good OL and all it's done is built a team who rarely makes the playoffs.

Archived