Is Kyle Wilson ready to be the starting CB?

joewilly12

People were complaining about Cro, too, before last year. As far as cornerbacks go, we've been spoiled.

Which is probably a good thing though, because as far as quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, tight ends and pass rushers go, we've been anything but spoiled.

Linebackers... our linebackers sucked too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be real. At this point, we should hope that Wilson blows, the Jets go 2-14, and we're sitting at #1 or #2 in the draft next year. It really is the best case scenario.

Why? So we can blow the pick on Johnny Football and have another wash out loser like Sanchez? We're doomed.

He occasionally defends a pass.  A number of cornerbacks in this league are just window dressing, hanging around hoping to catch a deflection.  The way the rules are now most of them cannot do much. Get some pass pressure, stop the run, kill the receivers.

He isn't close to Revis and the Jets need Pass Rushers and offensive difference makers, not CB's. 

I tend to agree. By not paying Revis, the Jets are making a move away from overpaying at the CB position. Turning around and taking a CB at #9 sends a different message. I don't think they'll do that. 

People were complaining about Cro, too, before last year. As far as cornerbacks go, we've been spoiled.

Which is probably a good thing though, because as far as quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, tight ends and pass rushers go, we've been anything but spoiled.

This.

revis was just replaced with cro. Bam replaceable

Revis and Cro together changed the defense.  It takes more people to play zone than man-to-man.  With Revis shutting down the #1 receiver all by himself and Cro doing likewise to the #2, a man is freed up to be used elsewhere on the defense. 

Last year with Revis hurt, Cro proved he could do a serviceable job going alone on the opponent's #1 receiver.  He isn't Darelle, but Cro usually got the job done without needing help.

So Revis has been adequately replaced by Cromartie on the best receiver, but now the big, big question is: can we find someone to replace Cromartie on the #2 receiver and keep the man-to-man coverage, or do we need to revert to zone?

Revis and Cro together changed the defense.  It takes more people to play zone than man-to-man.  With Revis shutting down the #1 receiver all by himself and Cro doing likewise to the #2, a man is freed up to be used elsewhere on the defense. 

Last year with Revis hurt, Cro proved he could do a serviceable job going alone on the opponent's #1 receiver.  He isn't Darelle, but Cro usually got the job done without needing help.

So Revis has been adequately replaced by Cromartie on the best receiver, but now the big, big question is: can we find someone to replace Cromartie on the #2 receiver and keep the man-to-man coverage, or do we need to revert to zone?

thats true id dig if they draft my boy logan ryan even though his facebook statuses have been getting weird lately giving away shoes and stuff lol

Oh you know the guy?

Apparently he's projected as second or third round, so I would keep in touch if I were you.

He should be coming into some money soon. 

yea lol he whent to my high school and was the starting QB/CB im a little younger but ive been at parties with him a handful of times. Nice dude

and yea lol wish i knew him well enough to get tickets or something. But no dice. Facebook friends dont count as in the crew lol

Yeah, I just looked him up.

At 5'11 or 6" and 190 he's somewhat bigger than most CB's.  Much of Revis' advantage was that he was 5'11' and 208, when most CB's are around 5'9" and 175.

I don't know much about the 3 cone drill, but if it means he's probably faster than 4.56 in the 40 that has to be good.

You have to like that size and weight for playing the bump and run.

Yeah, I just looked him up.

At 5'11 or 6" and 190 he's somewhat bigger than most CB's.  Much of Revis' advantage was that he was 5'11' and 208, when most CB's are around 5'9" and 175.

I don't know much about the 3 cone drill, but if it means he's probably faster than 4.56 in the 40 that has to be good.

You have to like that size and weight for playing the bump and run.

yea they described him as a physical guy. Can tackle and bring a physical presence but definitly needs to work on his speed a little

scouts say his closest nfl type is dunta robinson but bigger

In a couple of years, he should naturally fill out to around 200.

Unless he's faster than 4.56, (which he might be), he would be a CB with only average speed.

But at 4.56, he would be considered a fast safety.

yea wish he wan a 4.4 or something like that but id spend a early 4th on him

Looks pretty sure he'll be playing for somebody.  There are indications he might be 4.5.   The same guy can run different 40 yard times.  Differences of .06 are not uncommon.

Wouldn't mind seeing him as a Jet, but I think he's rather go in the second round, if he can.

Good luck to Ryan.

Gotta go now and ice my knees down.  :) 

Been checking around the net about the 3 cone drill.

Ryan Logan's 6.69 is very impressive.

It is significantly better than Kyle Wilson's and even better than the highly rated Vontae Davis. 

Some scouts are beginning to rate the 3 cone drill as a more accurate measure of CB quality than the 40 yard dash, and Logan has a great one.

Been checking around the net about the 3 cone drill.

Ryan Logan's 6.69 is very impressive.

It is significantly better than Kyle Wilson's and even better than the highly rated Vontae Davis. 

Some scouts are beginning to rate the 3 cone drill as a more accurate measure of CB quality than the 40 yard dash, and Logan has a great one.

lol ill take that. We do need a corner now so if we trade back from 13 or something and hes there in the middle rounds id be good with him.

guys got nice size and if the 3 cone drill indicates hes fast enough id be happy with it

Ryan's stock took a pretty big hit after his 40 time. If you could break him apart into pieces, he's essentially the same size as Revis but with essentially the same arm length and straight speed as Richard Sherman, (however Sherman is 6'3). On the field, he's similar to both players as he's known to be physical in man, using his body and strength well. His negs mostly come from lack of explosion (both a knock on Revis and Sherman coming out fwiw).

but 3 cone:

Ryan: 6.69

Revis: 6.56

Sherman: 6.82

and vert:

Ryan: 32

Revis: 38

Sherman: 38

and 40:

Ryan: 4.53

Revis: 4.38

Sherman: 4.56

however:

Ryan: 5'11 190

Revis: 5'11 190

Sherman: 6'3 195

and broad:

Ryan: 9'8

Revis: 10'5

Sherman: 10'4

so he really doesn't match up too well vs. the leagues top 2 CBs on raw physical numbers...Revis at the same size was a lot faster and more explosive and quicker coming out, at the same size, and Sherman, the longer, lankier type of player was still much more explosive, at the same speed. Ryan really only shows to be quicker than him but at almost 4 inches shorter.

That said, I'm comparing him to the two best players at the position so....probably not fair to do in the first place.

Considering Logan Ryan's 3 cone is apparently equal to just about anyone but Revis, and better than all but four or five CBs in the league, I think he just had a bad run for his 40 time.

All the other top 3 cone players also had very-good-to-great speed.  If I were a team looking for CBs in the draft, I would invite the guy over to run a few 40's to see for myself.  The two numbers don't seem to match.

Archived