Geno Smith reverses field, will attend draft tonight

RSJ

Geno Smith reverses field, will attend draft tonight

Geno Smith was going to leave New York and not attend Friday's NFL Draft after he was not drafted in the first-round.

Apparently he has had a change of heart.  Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Smith has decided to remain in New York and will be attending the draft tonight.

The guess is that a team has given Smith assurances he will be picked somewhat early in the second round.

That team could be the New York Jets.  According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets will take a good, hard look at Geno Smith today.  They have the seventh pick in the second round(No. 39 overall).

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/34616/Geno-Smith-reverses-field--will-attend-draft-tonight/Default.aspx

Am I the only one who is intrigued by how pissed off this guy is? It makes me want the Jets to go up and get him here. Competitiveness  instead of pouting would be nice to see from our QB for a change.

Am I the only one who is intrigued by how pissed off this guy is? It makes me want the Jets to go up and get him here. Competitiveness  instead of pouting would be nice to see from our QB for a change.

I feel the exact opposite way. He pouted thru the entire first round, and was ready to pout at home tonight - presumably until someone convinced him that staying home tonight compounded the curl up in a ball at the first sign of trouble label he already had.

The fact that he refused to interview last night and then changed course from leaving tells me someone got in his ear and explained that leaving would be a really bad idea. Meh, can't complain if they take him at 39 but I really hope they don't give up any picks to move up 7 spots for him.

Major cause for concern he didn't step up to mic last night and instead duck tailed because he was upset. 

Damn. Will hang a bit more of a dark cloud on the pick for me if he becomes a Jet today. 

I really just want to be ******* excited for once too. 

I feel the exact opposite way. He pouted thru the entire first round, and was ready to pout at home tonight - presumably until someone convinced him that staying home tonight compounded the curl up in a ball at the first sign of trouble label he already had.

I feel the same way. Along with people questioning if he can mentally handle the pressures of the NFL. He scares the crap out of me.

This..unfortunately. I was getting excited about him still around for the Jets too...and then that news came out. So now, er, yeah, he's a typical Jets pick considering he just killed the hype I was getting for him. Perfect...just perfect. And typical. 

I'll look for the silver linings when they pick him, for sure though. 

Wouldn't have a problem with taking a chance on this guy in the second round. Little scary but worth the risk with what we have at QB. What if he reaches his potential?

It seems decent value to take someone that was projected a POSSIBLE (although unlikely) top 10 pick.

I feel the same way. Along with people questioning if he can mentally handle the pressures of the NFL. He scares the crap out of me.

Based on his body language and demeanor he couldn't even handle Round 1 of the draft.  Pouty is not a good QB attribute. 

Based on his body language and demeanor he couldn't even handle Round 1 of the draft.  Pouty is not a good QB attribute. 

I don't know...Rodgers looked a little pouty too when he wasn't being picked where he wanted to be. I think thats a natural reaction, you get your hopes up so much and who knows what teams are promising these guys. I'm sure its frustrating.

Maybe itll give him a little chip on his shoulder.

I remember how pissed off Coles was about being passed by, played with a chip on his shoulder every week. I just have a good feeling about this kid. I could see him being a really, really good pick here. He is definitely an athlete which would mean a lot in an offense lacking weapons. 

Major cause for concern he didn't step up to mic last night and instead duck tailed because he was upset. 

Is it really a major concern or is this one of those things we have to speculate on because something something like a media man scorned? 

Yup.

We already have one of these. I'll pass. 

I want Cyprien, Ertz, Hunt, Lacy or one of the WRs

The fact that he refused to interview last night and then changed course from leaving tells me someone got in his ear and explained that leaving would be a really bad idea. Meh, can't complain if they take him at 39 but I really hope they don't give up any picks to move up 7 spots for him.

Damn. Will hang a bit more of a dark cloud on the pick for me if he becomes a Jet today. 

I really just want to be ******* excited for once too. 

I'm excited!!! Our defense is filled with young talent, and they are going to be on the field for us to watch constantly!!!! 

Eli has 2 rings. Rodgers is famously sensitive even about benign comments such as, "wow you're not as tall as you look on TV." The kid is 22 years old. We're reading may too much into these things, imho.

Eli has 2 rings. Rodgers is famously sensitive even about benign comments such as, "wow you're not as tall as you look on TV." The kid is 22 years old. We're reading may too much into these things, imho.

Yep. Still just a sour note from last night, which sucks. It was unnecessary. Where's his agent or parental figure advising him to be smarter than that?

Yep. Still just a sour note from last night, which sucks. It was unnecessary. Where's his agent or parental figure advising him to be smarter than that?

None of that matters if the guy turns around and winds up being a great QB.   I mean Michael Jordan was known to have many chips on his shoulders and made up stories on why people dissed him so he could use that against them.     I don't think this kid is going to be that good of a QB, but its like anybody, if you were standing in a playground and everybody else got picked and you were still standing, and you think you're better than many others,  either you start to doubt yourself or you get pissed about it and want to show up whomever dissed you.

Like others said,  Rodgers has turned a lot of that attitude in being one of the best QBs in the NFL.  Hell a guy like Drew Bree's was said to be too short, too this or that and is a HOF type QB.  Years ago Doug Flutie was too short, not good enough, guy didn't become an NFL pro bowler, but he had some good years and wound up a HOF CFL qb.      

Sometimes things like this can make a kid prove everybody wrong.  Happens all the time.

I'd be more than happy with him here.

He'd give me a reason to be excited for the season, which I'm not. Even if it's going to end with 3-13, it would be nice to have something to hope for. He's got a lot of talent, I don't think his attitude is terrible either, just got  a bit emotional last night in one of the most disappointing nights of his life. Can't kill a kid for that. 

I really can't emphasize enough how depressing the thought of Mark Sanchez getting booed onto the field for our home opener is.

Not per se the Jets, but Geno in the 2nd round is proper value. Same with Nasib.

As to the sulking, we can't forget that Aaron Rodgers looked like he was going to cry in the greenroom while he waited hours to be picked. So I'd give Geno a pass.

If anything, he should really be pissed with his agent over this. It's the agent's job to prevent his client from being put in this situation.

Archived