The Media

GangisGreen

I have never seen a professional sports team just get bashed by the media for everything it does as bad as the Jets.  Now we deserved it the last couple years, but we have a new GM who if you know anything about the Jets is doing things much differently. He keeps everything close to the chest. He has a plan and will be patient with it.  Now the media (Manish, Cimini, NFL Network, ESPN...) are all destroying us because of drafting Geno.  Now we all know if we passed on him and went into camp with Sanchez, Tebow, and Garrard we would be destroyed for that as well.  To me the media is loving keeping the "joke" image that is the jets alive because it sells.  Now i do not have a crystal ball but the moves Idzik has made, especially in the draft, were very solid moves.  What scares me is the media will have the negative impact it is shooting for and the dumbass Jet fans (some on here) will believe it and not allow Idzik to complete his plan. Well my rant is over, hopefully patience prevails and Idzik shuts all the critics up with great results...

I have never seen a professional sports team just get bashed by the media for everything it does as bad as the Jets.  Now we deserved it the last couple years, but we have a new GM who if you know anything about the Jets is doing things much differently. He keeps everything close to the chest. He has a plan and will be patient with it.  Now the media (Manish, Cimini, NFL Network, ESPN...) are all destroying us because of drafting Geno.  Now we all know if we passed on him and went into camp with Sanchez, Tebow, and Garrard we would be destroyed for that as well.  To me the media is loving keeping the "joke" image that is the jets alive because it sells.  Now i do not have a crystal ball but the moves Idzik has made, especially in the draft, were very solid moves.  What scares me is the media will have the negative impact it is shooting for and the dumbass Jet fans (some on here) will believe it and not allow Idzik to complete his plan. Well my rant is over, hopefully patience prevails and Idzik shuts all the critics up with great results...

You're right man, it's the media that is a joke.. just ignore it...

The media simply says what 'is'.

During our better playoff runs, we were treated well.  If they say the Jets are buffoons, the Jets probably are buffoons.  

"Winning cures all ill's"  Though as a 40 plus year Jet fan I am actually uncomfortable when the media praises us.  Feels dirty like using Splenda instead of sugar in front of my mother so she doesn"t give me the "sugar diabetes lecture"

I generally think these threads are dumb, but not in this case. I watched NFL Network rather than ESPN to avoid manufactured controversy and willful stupidity, and yet that's exactly what I got:

1. Characterization of  the Jets as a "circus" because they have 6 QBs on the roster in April.

2. Genuine wonderment that a team with multiple terrible quarterbacks would spend a second-round pick on a quarterback.

3. Utter shock (SHOCK, I tell you!) that the team hasn't yet called Sanchez to...what? Warn him about Geno? Ask his permission to draft him? Inform him that he's ******* terrible?

4. Bizarre mother-hen concern about whether or not noted terrible quarterback Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback of the Jets.

A 6-10 team with no viable QB spent the 39th overall pick on a QB. That this is any kind of "controversy" is precisely why the rest of the country hates New York.

The narrative from the media has nothing to do with the Jets football product but everything to do with selling the media's product.

The only person that cannot allow Idzik to complete his plan is Woody Johnson.  

Unfortunately, in the past the Jets have had an interest in creating media interest and did not care how the media portrayed their product.  Truly the Jets agreed with the proverb "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

The organization now needs to show a little more patience and build a better product from the inside and not let the outside (media & fans) dictate operations.  Hopefully, Idzik is the man to lead this new direction.  The draft was a good first start.  .  

"Winning cures all ill's"  Though as a 40 plus year Jet fan I am actually uncomfortable when the media praises us.  Feels dirty like using Splenda instead of sugar in front of my mother so she doesn"t give me the "sugar diabetes lecture"

I generally think these threads are dumb, but not in this case. I watched NFL Network rather than ESPN to avoid manufactured controversy and willful stupidity, and yet that's exactly what I got:

1. Characterization of  the Jets as a "circus" because they have 6 QBs on the roster in April.

2. Genuine wonderment that a team with multiple terrible quarterbacks would spend a second-round pick on a quarterback.

3. Utter shock (SHOCK, I tell you!) that the team hasn't yet called Sanchez to...what? Warn him about Geno? Ask his permission to draft him? Inform him that he's ******* terrible?

4. Bizarre mother-hen concern about whether or not noted terrible quarterback Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback of the Jets.

A 6-10 team with no viable QB spent the 39th overall pick on a QB. That this is any kind of "controversy" is precisely why the rest of the country hates New York.

Agree with these comments the most.  Who gives a flying **** about poor Mark's feelings?  We've never been the media's darling and when they do jump on our bandwagon we suffer for it.  **** em.

I pray to sweet golden diaper baby jesus that Idziks actions put us in a position to win the SB...we do...and in response...Idzik comes to the trophy ceremony middle fingers high!

Dick move, I know.

But thats exactly what my plans are when I win the Powerball.

Agree with these comments the most.  Who gives a flying **** about poor Mark's feelings?  We've never been the media's darling and when they do jump on our bandwagon we suffer for it.  **** em.

I miss Fat Rex :(

1. Characterization of the Jets as a "circus" because they have 6 QBs on the roster in April.

2. Genuine wonderment that a team with multiple terrible quarterbacks would spend a second-round pick on a quarterback.

Good points, but I think Mayock, etc, are looking at it from the perspective of history wherein the Jets selected yet another prolific college QB with questionable fortitude and put him on a bad team with bad offensive personnel. It reads like Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez Redux. Of course, Idzik isn't Tannenbaum and Mornhinweg isn't Schotty, so there's a good chance the results will be different, but as of right now, it smacks of history repeating itself.

You could use this as the header for every time you post here.  LOL

Points 3 and 4, specifically.

My brother (also a Jets fan) was going on about point #3/4 as well, because he bit into the media nonsense. Oooh there's going to be ALL this controversy in the locker room because guys are competing for the QB position, that's going to fracture the team and perpetuate the circus! So I asked him about the Bills. The Bills just brought in Kevin Kolb, right? Then they go and draft a QB about 20 spots higher (and 1 round higher) than us, who wasn't even ranked as high as the guy we got. Is that going to destroy their locker room? Why was it no big deal for them to do that but it is a big deal for the Jets? It's all media driven.

Good points, but I think Mayock, etc, are looking at it from the perspective of history wherein the Jets selected yet another prolific college QB with questionable fortitude and put him on a bad team with bad offensive personnel. It reads like Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez Redux. Of course, Idzik isn't Tannenbaum and Mornhinweg isn't Schotty, so there's a good chance the results will be different, but as of right now, it smacks of history repeating itself.

That was Mayock's perspective, and it's a fair one, but it was buried by Charles Davis crowing "I mean, you can't take five minutes to call Mark Sanchez and say 'Bro, you better come to training camp with your game face on!'" and Rich Eisen funereally intoning, "has Mark Sanchez...taken his last snap...as a New York Jet?" Who gives a sh*t?

That was Mayock's perspective, and it's a fair one, but it was buried by Charles Davis crowing "I mean, you can't take five minutes to call Mark Sanchez and say 'Bro, you better come to training camp with your game face on!'" and Rich Eisen funereally intoning, "has Mark Sanchez...taken his last snap...as a New York Jet?" Who gives a sh*t?

Charles Davis is really, really dumb. I agree that part of it is dumb. Sanchez is lucky if his password still works to log into the Florham Park WiFi.

Charles Davis is really, really dumb. I agree that part of it is dumb. Sanchez is lucky if his password still works to log into the Florham Park WiFi.

It was unfathomable. BREAKING: sh*tTY TEAM WITH NO QB DRAFTS QB IN SECOND ROUND. MORE UPDATES AS EVENTS WARRANT. Maybe I should have watched ESPN after all. At least their dumb guys are dumb in a funny way.

Who cares what history suggests...they're hypocrites...any other team makes the pick and the crowing about the value in the second round...I'm not convinced Geno can be the guy but he does address our biggest weakness...namely the weak-minded, self-entitled model that Mark Sanchez has become...rather spend a second round pick on the top-rated QB each year until we find the "guy" than just keep trotting out a QB we know cannot get the job done...

The media simply says what 'is'.

During our better playoff runs, we were treated well.  If they say the Jets are buffoons, the Jets probably are buffoons.  

Mike Mayock for example. He only speaks the truth. Like this:

"The Jets got three of my top twenty overall prospects. Horrible draft."

Not an actual quote verbatim, but this is essentially what happened.

Mike Mayock for example. He only speaks the truth. Like this:

"The Jets got three of my top twenty overall prospects. Horrible draft."

Not an actual quote verbatim, but this is essentially what happened.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA. I can't believe it, you're actually right, for the most part... Geno was 21.

Mayock had Richardson 7th overall, Milliner 16th overall and Smith 21st overall. [LINK]

Yet he panned us for each of those picks. WTF????

To be honest, I just try to ignore it. Granted, we brought it upon ourselves with all the big talk and bringing in the Tebow circus and sh*t. But now it's gone overboard. Just every single move is sh*t on by the media even though there's a new GM in place.

Neither of these comparisons are valid.  Kellen Clemens was never considered a top QB prospect like Geno is.  And while Sanchez WAS considered a top QB prospect, he walked into a dream scenario for a rookie.

Neither of these comparisons are valid. Kellen Clemens was never considered a top QB prospect like Geno is. And while Sanchez WAS considered a top QB prospect, he walked into a dream scenario for a rookie.

Perhaps you forgot the Kellen Clemens/Ron Jaworski love-fest prior to the draft. He got pushed out of the first because of the Leinart-Young-Cutler triumvirate at the top. Geno got pushed out by air. And Sanchez coming into a dream scenario is revisionist. No one knew how good the defense would be, and his opening day wide receivers were Jerricho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey.

Perhaps you forgot the Kellen Clemens/Ron Jaworski love-fest prior to the draft. He got pushed out of the first because of the Leinart-Young-Cutler triumvirate at the top. Geno got pushed out by air. And Sanchez coming into a dream scenario is revisionist. No one knew how good the defense would be, and his opening day wide receivers were Jerricho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey.

Yet those questions were pushed out of the door when we had a # 1 running game and went and got Braylon Edwards.  The fact that the media forgets that that happened is irrelevant.  They're stupid.

No, this is revisionist. Our running game was 5th in DVOA in 2008, Kellen Clemens was never a first-round prospect, and Ron Jaworski once compared Jimmy Clausen to LeBron James.

Points 3 and 4, specifically.

My brother (also a Jets fan) was going on about point #3/4 as well, because he bit into the media nonsense. Oooh there's going to be ALL this controversy in the locker room because guys are competing for the QB position, that's going to fracture the team and perpetuate the circus! So I asked him about the Bills. The Bills just brought in Kevin Kolb, right? Then they go and draft a QB about 20 spots higher (and 1 round higher) than us, who wasn't even ranked as high as the guy we got. Is that going to destroy their locker room? Why was it no big deal for them to do that but it is a big deal for the Jets? It's all media driven.

It's not media drive that drafting a young QB makes other QBs mad, pissed, jealous, scared.    Why wouldn't it?    The Jets and Woody should feel lucky that ESPN and other media outlets actually give a crap to talk about them.  Besides a few seasons here and there, this has been a franchise that nobody besides its fans should care about.    Who cares to talk about the Bills?  Or Browns?  Hell, did anybody really say a peep when Seattle drafted Wilson in the third round or after they just signed Matt Flynn and after years of Charlier Whitehurst trades?

It is what it is and it's part media, part NY, etc.   I've been on the west coast for years now and there is an east coast media bias when it comes to college sports, professional sports, etc.  It's also a team bias based on history.  The Lakers suck, but they are still the #1 talked about team in the NBA.  The Cowboys have been overrated and overhyped for years, people still love to talk about them.   The Jets still are a NY team and every chance anybody gets they bring up Namath and 1969 and so on.   Hell the Giants and Eli have won two super bowls recently and the Jets, Tebow, Sanchez, and Rex get talked about far more than them.  And the Jets are the 'little brother.'    

Hell,  look at Baseball.  Certain teams When the Red Sox finally won a world series, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.    The White Sox win a world series for the first time since the 1919 black sox and shoeless joe jackson throwing the world series scandal and it's just another team nobody cares about won.   

The jets seem to be forever tied to history, the media, etc.   And it doesn't help when you have guys like Rex Ryan and owners like Woody who want that attention.  You can say all you want, Woody loves it.  Attention means money. It means people are talking.    Nobody thinks there will be controversy in buffalo because people think buffalo is being relocated for one and most people don't give a crap about the Bills.   The Bills went to 4 consecutuve super bowls and it's just an afterthought.  Of course they lost, but the Jets made it to back to back AFC conference championship games and suddenly that team is "one of the best ever" in some conversations.

It also doesn't help that you have a owner who wants attention to get a guy elected for president,  you have a head coach who has been loud, obnoxious, and said  they'd win a few super bowls,   and you have a bad first round QB who gets magazine covers,  a 3rd string QB whom you traded for that you never plan on planning who gets media attention no matter where he goes and so on.     And they went out and picked the QB whom many people thought was the best in this weak QB draft.

The sad reality is the media and fans seem to be treating Geno Smith like he was the #1 pick.   Normally 2nd round picks can't be busts, it's just not the way it works.   But for whatever reason, Geno is being treated as if he were the #1 pick.

Archived