Ivory clean

TnT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/27/chris-ivory-plans-to-put-up-crazy-numbers-in-jets-offense/

In three seasons with the Saints, Chris Ivory

showed off some highlight-reel runs and averaged an impressive 5.1 yards a carry. But he was buried on a crowded depth chart, and in 2012 he ran the ball only 40 times all season.

Now Ivory has been traded to the Jets, and he thinks that’s just the change he needs to become one of the best backs in the NFL.

“It’s an opportunity for me to really get the carries that I deserve

,” Ivory said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I put the work in every day and every week. I just feel like it’s my time. . . . I feel like I can go out there and do some great things with the opportunities I’ll be given, and I know I’m going to make the most of it. With every little glimpse I had in New Orleans, I did great things. If I’m getting more than six and seven carries a game, the sky is the limit for me. I can do some great things and put up some crazy numbers in New York.”

The Jets and Ivory have agreed to terms on a new three-year contract, and he’s viewed as their No. 1 running back going forward. If the future of the Jets’ offense is Ivory as the starting running back and Geno Smith

as the starting quarterback, most Jets fans would gladly take that over a pairing of Bilal Powell

and Mark Sanchez.

I just find the "best running back in football' conversation and ivory in the same sentence.   I hope it's true, but come on, Greene avg over 5 yards a carry his rookie season and everybody remembers him running over Cromartie onward to a game clinching TD in the playoffs.       Now look what people think of him.  

Ivory has a few highlights, a game or two, and then nothing. Not in college. Not in the NFL.   "yeah he looks like a beast" who never played anywhere.  It's just funny the hype surrounding a un-drafted guy who hasn't done much in the NFL after 3 years.

If he can catch the ball at all, he will help in the new scheme.  Greene could not do that.

I thought Greene sucked.   He might be a good fit as a backup RB to give Johnson some breathers, change of pace, etc,  but I just don't see Ivory as anything more than a backup. If that.  And if he can't even stay healthy, which he's never been able to do as a backup to a backup, it's just a waste.

I just think with the Ivory trade, it's all based on "hoping the guy is a starter and hoping he doesn't get hurt."   It's not based on what the guy has done.

I thought Greene sucked.   He might be a good fit as a backup RB to give Johnson some breathers, change of pace, etc,  but I just don't see Ivory as anything more than a backup. If that.  And if he can't even stay healthy, which he's never been able to do as a backup to a backup, it's just a waste.

I just think with the Ivory trade, it's all based on "hoping the guy is a starter and hoping he doesn't get hurt."   It's not based on what the guy has done.

His stats are solid with the limited snaps he saw. Our RB production couldn't really be lower, even though Greene was a thousand yard rusher. Run Ivory into the ground, and see what he's got. If he sucks, or gets hurt... next man up. Goodson isn't a slouch. I am optimistic. Our RB situation is far stronger than it was last season.

Couldn't agree more with Pedro on this one. Greene under limited snaps was viewed the same way and the more carries he got, the more he was exposed. Ivory on that other hand can't stay healthy enough to get more carries. When selecting a RB not sure why you would go the route in picking up an injury prone guy. Usually it's the opposite in picking up a youngster who still has miles on his legs and can burn their tires till it aint nothing less. But we are here trying to patch a slow leak on one. 

I would have had no problem with this if it was for a 5th but I am disgruntled that it was for an early 4th.

people talk about how he can't stay healthy and that's a fair critique but he runs hard. this guys gets north south and eats up yards. Very exciting player and yes he could be among the best in the league. Pending health. I can't get all caught up in the "if he stay's healthy" routine because there was a reason he was available for trade. 

Well I can't say I have heard of this guy before last week, but I LOVE hearing this: “I put the work in every day and every week. I just feel like it’s my time."  

Personally, that's exactly what I want to hear out of a guy that has some proving to do.

I haven't seen him run much.

Which other current NFL RB would you guys compare him to, just to give me an idea?

Dead ringer for Cadillac Williams.....in that very short window you can consider his prime, lol

I honestly don't remember much about Cadillac. Was he sorta like Marshawn Lynch?

Ehh, I think theres a little more east/west in Ivorys running then Marshawns..and alot more truck in Marshawns then Ivorys.

Archived