Mohammed Wilkerson NFL Networks top 100 snub?

shhwagah

I know the rankings haven't finished coming out, but I'm sure Mo-Wil won't make the list; even though I read somewhere last year he ranked as the 2nd best interior lineman (behind JJ Watt).  The fact that Rex has is constantly moving him from a 4-3 DT, 3-4 NT, to DE will skew his stats a bit.  But the NFL top 100 isn't about stats, its about being judged by your peers.  I believe this will be the year he will command NFL players attention and their respect no matter where he is placed on the D-line.

Mo-Wil also suffered a Pro-Bowl snub.  That means he was over-looked by players AND fans.

Who agrees he should have been listed on the top 100 list?  Who doesn't agree?  Is Mo under or overrated? Should he have made the Pro-Bowl?

He's not a complete player yet but he's probably a top 100 guy. Needs to develop more game against the pass.

I wonder how much more room he has to fill out and if he'll see time at the nose this year. Someone mentioned Kris Jenkins for Sheldon Richardson, but Wilkerson might be closer. Drafted around the same time (late first while Jenkins was early second) and came out at the same size (6'4" 315ish) with dominant run stopping ability.

"He's not a complete player yet but he's probably a top 100 guy. Needs to develop more game against the pass."

See, that's why I think the stats are a little skewed. He racked up 5 sacks, but played a lot of ND/DT. If he was playing strictly DE, he might have been in the double digits. I believe Mo is more of a natural DE/DT. If Kendrick Ellis doesn't step up this year we should start looking for a natural NT in next years draft. Someone who could replace Pouha/Jenkins, both who where natural NT/DTs. 

He's not a complete player yet but he's probably a top 100 guy. Needs to develop more game against the pass.

I wonder how much more room he has to fill out and if he'll see time at the nose this year. Someone mentioned Kris Jenkins for Sheldon Richardson, but Wilkerson might be closer. Drafted around the same time (late first while Jenkins was early second) and came out at the same size (6'4" 315ish) with dominant run stopping ability.

Read recently that he lost weight, not gained.

Probably trying to get quicker to be more of a presence in the pass rush

At 24 I'm not expecting him to look like a NT anytime soon. IIRC Ryan also said he had a great frame coming out that could handle more NFL weight.

Remember that Jenkins got fat and out of shape during his career, not something I am worried about with Wilkerson.

At 24 I'm not expecting him to look like a NT anytime soon. IIRC Ryan also said he had a great frame coming out that could handle more NFL weight.

Remember that Jenkins got fat and out of shape during his career, not something I am worried about with Wilkerson.

I don't think they are looking to bulk him up to play NT.  Think they are more interested in having him be a bigger part of the pass rush.  He was carried on the roster last year at 315.  This article says he showed up this year at 295.  That's a long way from NT weight

Muhammad Wilkerson excited to see who Jets draft

Originally published: April 25, 2013 2:17 PM

Updated: April 25, 2013 2:29 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN  kimberley.martin@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: AP | Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson. (File photo)

Web links

Jets fans weren't the only ones who noticed. Muhammad Wilkerson did too.

The 23-year-old defensive lineman was left off the list of 2012 Pro Bowl selections -- a noticeable snub in his eyes.

"I'm just going to use that as motivation and make sure I get to Hawaii this year," Wilkerson said.

For Wilkerson, there's much work to be done -- not just himself, but also his team.

The Jets followed up their offseason salary cap purge by trading away their best player, cornerback Darrelle Revis. Despite the roster upheaval, Wilkerson believes the "sky's the limit" for the rebuilding Jets.

"Everybody's putting in great effort in the weight room and everybody's busting their behind on the field, running, doing their conditioning," he said Thursday at a Citi Field appearance. "The sky's the limit and I think we have the talent right now and we're only going to get better."

The Jets will look to improve through the NFL draft, which begins Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall. And with two first-round picks (No. 9 and 13) at their disposal, the Jets can go a variety of ways. Wilkerson, a former first-rounder in 2011, is just as excited as fans are to see who new general manager John Idzik takes.

"It's good to watch the draft and see who's going to be part of your team and congratulate them," he said, adding that he'll be at the team's facility Thursday night for the draft party the Jets are hosting. "I'm just watching like everybody else. Whoever we pick, I'm pretty sure [it'll] definitely be a good pick . . . I'm all for whoever the team picks."

Thursday represented a renewed sense of commitment and hope for the future -- not just for the 200-plus kids at the Citi Field Kids program event who listened to Wilkerson tell his story of accomplishment despite adversity. But also for the young defensive lineman, who, despite his age, will look to lead a rebuilding franchise.

"I'm not a rah-rah guy but speaking to [defensive line] coach [Karl] Dunbar, I feel like I can lead by example," said Wilkerson, who had 69 tackles and five sacks last season. "We have guys on the team that are older than me -- [Antonio] Cro [Cromartie] is a great leader, David Harris as well. We have multiple leaders on the team. It's not just one."

But Wilkerson "definitely" has his sights set on taking his game to the next level.

"I challenge myself to get better each year and I feel like I've just got to move on from last year and work hard and do better than I did," he said.

Rex Ryan vowed Sunday that his defense would play "great," even in the absence of Revis. And Wilkerson, who's down "a couple pounds" to 295, is eager to make good on his coach's promise.

"Rex is the man who calls the shots and if he said it I'm going to back him up," Wilkerson said. "Definitely, just as a defense we feel like we didn't pursue some things last year, at the beginning of the season. A lot of teams were rushing multiple yards on us. We knew we weren't ourselves and we looked at that on film and we're just going to make sure that doesn't happen to us this year.

"It's not just the defensive line, it's the whole team. Everybody has to step up and do their part. Last year wasn't a season we wanted it to be and we just got to move on from that, look at the bad things we did and also the good. And work harder on the bad things we did and hopefully those things won't happen this year."

Of course, they'll have to show improvement without several veteran players from last year's team including Sione Po'uha, Mike DeVito, Yeremiah Bell, LaRon Landry, Bart Scott and Eric Smith.

And, of course, Revis.

"I wish Darrelle the best down in Tampa," Wilkerson said, noting that it will be weird without the star cornerback in New York. "He was a great player while he was here, a great teammate on and off the field. But we've just got to move on and look forward to the 2013 season."

Asked about the loss of so many veterans on defense, Wilkerson said: "There's a lot of older guys that left but I learned a lot from those guys. Like I said, that's something I can't control . . . That's something the business people upstairs had to handle. And I guess they felt they handled it the best way they felt. So there's nothing I can say, I wish those guys the best."

It's a stupid list made by players, they aren't sitting there breaking down game tape of 3-4 DE's. They didn't have Eli in the top 100 the year before he won the SB and Tebow made the list before coming here. I wouldn't take it to seriously

It's a stupid list made by players, they aren't sitting there breaking down game tape of 3-4 DE's. They didn't have Eli in the top 100 the year before he won the SB and Tebow made the list before coming here. I wouldn't take it to seriously

Around this time 2 years ago they put both Josh Freeman and Mike Williams in there.  Heading into his last, disastrous season with Minnesota, Donovan McNabb was in the top 100 that same year.  So did Chad Clifton who would play 6 more games & then get cut.  Hell, Santonio Holmes made that list.  Ray Lewis was #4.  The guy was a great LB, but does anyone really think that in 2011 he was the 4th best player in the NFL at any position? Rodgers - fresh off a SB MVP award - wasn't even in the top 10.  Guys like Asomugha made the list on name alone a year ago.

Glad Wilkerson is using it as fuel for playing even better this year & beyond, but fans like us shouldn't give a crap.

Except that Revis was listed at #67 so therefore we made a great move dumping him, lol.

Around this time 2 years ago they put both Josh Freeman and Mike Williams in there. Heading into his last, disastrous season with Minnesota, Donovan McNabb was in the top 100 that same year. So did Chad Clifton who would play 6 more games & then get cut. Hell, Santonio Holmes made that list. Ray Lewis was #4. The guy was a great LB, but does anyone really think that in 2011 he was the 4th best player in the NFL at any position? Rodgers - fresh off a SB MVP award - wasn't even in the top 10. Guys like Asomugha made the list on name alone a year ago.

Glad Wilkerson is using it as fuel for playing even better this year & beyond, but fans like us shouldn't give a crap.

Except that Revis was listed at #67 so therefore we made a great move dumping him, lol.

How do you remember all this sh*t?

Yeah NFL Network's top 100 is a stupid list made by players, but doesn't that kind of prove Mo is flying under the radar? 

Revis made the list and only played 2 games.

And I hope they aren't trying to make Mo a NT, I think he can develop his pass rush game. He has the type of speed to be in the backfield to get to the QB, recover fumbles/return them, and stop/disrupt running plays before they begin.

I know the rankings haven't finished coming out, but I'm sure Mo-Wil won't make the list; even though I read somewhere last year he ranked as the 2nd best interior lineman (behind JJ Watt).  The fact that Rex has is constantly moving him from a 4-3 DT, 3-4 NT, to DE will skew his stats a bit.  But the NFL top 100 isn't about stats, its about being judged by your peers.  I believe this will be the year he will command NFL players attention and their respect no matter where he is placed on the D-line.

Mo-Wil also suffered a Pro-Bowl snub.  That means he was over-looked by players AND fans.

Who agrees he should have been listed on the top 100 list?  Who doesn't agree?  Is Mo under or overrated? Should he have made the Pro-Bowl?

Word.  Total snub.

Jax Beach in the house! 

Did you hear about the brawl at the pier last night?  Crazy sh*t.  They had to shut down the beach.  Damn Townies ruining my beach.

Word.  Total snub.

Jax Beach in the house! 

Did you hear about the brawl at the pier last night?  Crazy sh*t.  They had to shut down the beach.  Damn Townies ruining my beach.

Sir, are you a Jets fan living in Jax? Or a Tebow Fan living in Jax? Which is way more likely.

And no, I didn't hear about the brawl. There's always a brawl on Jax Beach. Though Jones-Drew supposedly knocked some security guard out in Old St. Augustine. Then I heard he didn't knock the guard out in St. Augustine. 

Sir, are you a Jets fan living in Jax? Or a Tebow Fan living in Jax? Which is way more likely.

And no, I didn't hear about the brawl. There's always a brawl on Jax Beach. Though Jones-Drew supposedly knocked some security guard out in Old St. Augustine. Then I heard he didn't knock the guard out in St. Augustine. 

Jets fan living in Jax Beach.  Gator alum.

Jets fan living in Jax Beach.  Gator alum.

Awesome. I usually go out to see the games. I have a small crew of about 5-7 people that come out to Ale House on Southside regularly. Buffalo Wild Wings on Baymeadows used to be the spot until they shut that shht down right after last years draft. Dumbest business move I've ever witnessed in my life.

Awesome. I usually go out to see the games. I have a small crew of about 5-7 people that come out to Ale House on Southside regularly. Buffalo Wild Wings on Baymeadows used to be the spot until they shut that shht down right after last years draft. Dumbest business move I've ever witnessed in my life.

So that means you know this dude:

:akf:  :akf:  :akf:

So that means you know this dude:

:akf:  :akf:  :akf:

I need this picture blown up and refined by an FBI ballistics imaging computer before I can even tell what it is lol..

I need this picture blown up and refined by an FBI ballistics imaging computer before I can even tell what it is lol..

Its Joe aka Klecko73isGod.  That little pic is known as the Angry Klecko Face or AKF.  You know, the big loud dude that led the Jets chants at BW's for all those years.

Its Joe aka Klecko73isGod.  That little pic is known as the Angry Klecko Face or AKF.  You know, the big loud dude that led the Jets chants at BW's for all those years.

So wait...I'm confused. Are you him? Or do you know him? I remember the big guy with glasses, Joe who used to count down for the Jets chants that sat with for like 2 seasons. But when BDubs shut down we haven't seen him since. He was friends with a dude named Steve. The only reason I have Steve's number is because me and a few friends bumped into him by chance last season at Jets/Jags game. 

So wait...I'm confused. Are you him? Or do you know him? I know there was a big guy with glasses who used to count down for the Jets chants that sat with for like 2 seasons. But when BDubs shut down we haven't seen him since. He was friends with a dude named Steve. The only reason I have Steve's number is because me and a few friends bumped into him by chance last season at Jets/Jags game. 

LMFAO

Whatchu laughin at, BUDDY? lol

Who me?  Oh, nothing.

To be honest, I'm still not quite sure whether you're screwing with JiF at this point or the both of you are screwing with the rest of us, but either way that was quite amusing.  If that post was actually sincere, it's only that much better, although I somehow doubt that.

Who me?  Oh, nothing.

To be honest, I'm still not quite sure whether you're screwing with JiF at this point or the both of you are screwing with the rest of us, but either way that was quite amusing.  If that post was actually sincere, it's only that much better, although I somehow doubt that.

It was definitely sincere. The regular hangout closed down without much warning and none of the regs had each others phone numbers. So we spent last season clicked up into smaller groups thinking we would run into each other at some point. I'm trying to figure out if JiF is the dude that was part of our group or if he knows the guy. Sorry if our heart-warming story of separation and rediscovery is funny to you lol. It would be funny if we were messing with ya'll though.

To keep this threat somewhat on topic. Muhammed Wilkerson is a beast, yaddah yaddah yaddah, break out season ahead, etc, etc..

It was definitely sincere. The regular hangout closed down without much warning and none of the regs had each others phone numbers. So we spent last season clicked up into smaller groups thinking we would run into each other at some point. I'm trying to figure out if JiF is the dude that was part of our group or if he knows the guy. Sorry if our heart-warming story of separation and rediscovery is funny to you lol. It would be funny if we were messing with ya'll though.

To keep this threat somewhat on topic. Muhammed Wilkerson is a beast, yaddah yaddah yaddah, break out season ahead, etc, etc..

Well if that's really all true, then I'll be the one to spill the beans to you.  The big dude with the glasses was none other than Joe AKA Klecko73isGod (his screenname here) AKA this guy: :akf:, a JN legend and former captain.

His bestest of friends is Steve AKA JiF, the Tebow-loving surfer dude you were just chatting up.

And yeah, big MoWilk is freakin' awesome.

So wait...I'm confused. Are you him? Or do you know him? I remember the big guy with glasses, Joe who used to count down for the Jets chants that sat with for like 2 seasons. But when BDubs shut down we haven't seen him since. He was friends with a dude named Steve. The only reason I have Steve's number is because me and a few friends bumped into him by chance last season at Jets/Jags game. 

I dont know Steve personally, just heard about his legend and admire him so. 

Who me?  Oh, nothing.

were being ****ed with

Archived