Leelou's Princess Bride Mafia - Game thread

Leelou

I'll be around, I just can't get wrapped up in teh games. The past 12 months has been just non-stop for us... engaged, her father diagnosed, plan wedding, travel back and forth to Indy, hospice for her Dad, he passes, we adopt his dog, we get married, we get pregnant, we find house, we're in the middle of buying it, we start baby classes next week, my job is more demanding now, it's just a lot to have on my shoulders and I need to do a better job of using my spare time to relax.

Mafia games aren't relaxing for me. I'm everyone's personal villain, it's tiring and demanding. I want to take some time off, and then come back fresh in a few months if I have time for it.

In the meantime I'll be around to shoot the sh*t with you all. :biggrin:

My perspective, you make it that way.  It doesnt have to be that way.  You feel that you have a reputation to live up to in these games.  And some may feel that way, but the reality is, you determine how you play and you let others adjust. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do what you will...best plan is to continue till the season, the hard rule not to play until the season's over...too much bad blood last season...one recommendation...don't feel you need to play at the same level (activity not quality), really not worth it in the big picture.

Sometimes it's just hard when you can't do something on the level you know you could - been there, done that. I had been playing chess on a tournament level for years.

In the last 10-15 years however, I just never had the time and fell out of it. I tried to continu for a while on a less serious level but I just hated every single moment of it. I got to the positions I wanted to, I knew I would be destroying my opponent if I was in shape, and I also knew that I would just be messing up. So rather play seriously, or not at all.

My perspective, you make it that way.  It doesnt have to be that way.  You feel that you have a reputation to live up to in these games.  And some may feel that way, but the reality is, you determine how you play and you let others adjust. 

It's a two way street, I set an expectation level, and then I feel bad if I don't live up to it. 

Admittedly you are mostly right. It just happens to be that every time I think "okay, this will be the game where I calm down and change my pace", I end up as scum and doing my best impression of myself is the only way to live. LOL

It's a two way street, I set an expectation level, and then I feel bad if I don't live up to it. 

Admittedly you are mostly right. It just happens to be that every time I think "okay, this will be the game where I calm down and change my pace", I end up as scum and doing my best impression of myself is the only way to live. LOL

I dont expect anything of you. Even this game, my 'beating the grass' case wasnt on your post count or participation level, it was directed at your game play.  Honestly, I was surprised to see you at the top of the post count.  Didnt seem like you had that many posts this game at all.  

Sometimes it's just hard when you can't do something on the level you know you could - been there, done that. I had been playing chess on a tournament level for years.

In the last 10-15 years however, I just never had the time and fell out of it. I tried to continu for a while on a less serious level but I just hated every single moment of it. I got to the positions I wanted to, I knew I would be destroying my opponent if I was in shape, and I also knew that I would just be messing up. So rather play seriously, or not at all.

Yes.  I understand...I took the opposite approach just to get back to playing...in fact my mafia now matches my chess game...by that I mean I solely play Blitz...my looking for a game of chess was sincere...was buzzed and bored...Blitz chess allows me quick games without the seriousness...I blunder...I try to continue but if Iose...oh well...time to start another game....annoys the sh*t out of some of the players on FICS but...who cares...exercise for the brain is really all I play for.

I dont expect anything of you. Even this game, my 'beating the grass' case wasnt on your post count or participation level, it was directed at your game play.  Honestly, I was surprised to see you at the top of the post count.  Didnt seem like you had that many posts this game at all.  

I didn't interpret it that way, so sorry for the over-reaction.

I really thought I did a lot of scum hunting in before and after busing Darthe. It's all good. Just know I wasn't hiding, and never hide, behind RL no matter my role/alignment. 

Yes.  I understand...I took the opposite approach just to get back to playing...in fact my mafia now matches my chess game...by that I mean I solely play Blitz...my looking for a game of chess was sincere...was buzzed and bored...Blitz chess allows me quick games without the seriousness...I blunder...I try to continue but if Iose...oh well...time to start another game....annoys the sh*t out of some of the players on FICS but...who cares...exercise for the brain is really all I play for.

I thought you were being coy with me when you started talking about chess. LOL

Good advice. Let's see where things are after I close on the house and get the move done. She's going to be 7 months when that happens, so it'll be on me to take care of everything. I'm hiring some people, but I've got to prep everything or they'll gouge me, and we need the money for furniture and appliances, not lazy movers!

Your whole world is about to change...you'll adapt and be better for it...have to admit...they were the busiest years of my life...fun...but demanding...find time for distractions but you'll take yourself less serious once the kids start popping out.

Yeah, JiF is right in that you can definitely change your style and make others adjust, but Ape is also right that it's usually best not to start with a game in which you are scum.

As for JiF saying that people here use more logic than elsewhere, that used to be the case, but I'm not so sure it is anymore. DM is terrible at logic atm so that's not the best comparison. Also, a lot of the more logical JN players don't or hardly play anymore (e.g. Sharrow, Dan, JVoR, CTM).

I don't think you play with much logic, JiF, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Your instincts are usually really good so that lets you spot scum that are playing a seemingly perfectly logical game but have been dropping subtle tells. The problem is when someone plays with neither good logic nor good instinct. We have a lot of those on DM these days and I would hate to see JN slide that way too.

Your whole world is about to change...you'll adapt and be better for it...have to admit...they were the busiest years of my life...fun...but demanding...find time for distractions but you'll take yourself less serious once the kids start popping out.

Haha, yeah, I can't wait. 

I'm ready to just have one thing to worry about... the baby, and have all the other stuff done, or fading to the background. I bite off more than I can chew, and lately it's WAY more. 

I'm totally down with a game sometime. Timezone difference is a bitch, however.

Yeah, JiF is right in that you can definitely change your style and make others adjust, but Ape is also right that it's usually best not to start with a game in which you are scum.

As for JiF saying that people here use more logic than elsewhere, that used to be the case, but I'm not so sure it is anymore. DM is terrible at logic atm so that's not the best comparison. Also, a lot of the more logical JN players don't or hardly play anymore (e.g. Sharrow, Dan, JVoR, CTM).

I don't think you play with much logic, JiF, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Your instincts are usually really good so that lets you spot scum that are playing a seemingly perfectly logical game but have been dropping subtle tells. The problem is when someone plays with neither good logic nor good instinct. We have a lot of those on DM these days and I would hate to see JN slide that way too.

I think the shift is more than the people we have here are almost all instinct players first, and logic second, and the people that would build huge cases, or track game data have all bailed on playing, or have kept playing but do it less because of the field of players we have just not valuing that effort. 

When I have time I like to dip into the data, and look for trends and draw logical conclusions, but because there's not many people here that value that - I've been playing more with instinct lately. I do both pretty well, so I usually go with what is going to be paid attention to by the other players.

So it's not laziness, it's more valuing a different type of game analysis... which is fine, if we all function at the same level. But when you add DMers or newbs into the mix, they don't get the education that most of us have had on the drawn out logical awareness, that allows us to play with better instinct.

I guess what I'm saying is... we are the greatest collection of mafia nerdtards on the interwebz. 

Except 80.

The problem is when someone doesn't even play the game he signed up for. We have a lot of those on DM these days.

Let's wait for the deadline then lynch someone in a rush.

I think the shift is more than the people we have here are almost all instinct players first, and logic second, and the people that would build huge cases, or track game data have all bailed on playing, or have kept playing but do it less because of the field of players we have just not valuing that effort. 

When I have time I like to dip into the data, and look for trends and draw logical conclusions, but because there's not many people here that value that - I've been playing more with instinct lately. I do both pretty well, so I usually go with what is going to be paid attention to by the other players.

So it's not laziness, it's more valuing a different type of game analysis... which is fine, if we all function at the same level. But when you add DMers or newbs into the mix, they don't get the education that most of us have had on the drawn out logical awareness, that allows us to play with better instinct.

I guess what I'm saying is... we are the greatest collection of mafia nerdtards on the interwebz. 

Except 80.

Personally, it's not logical versus an instinctive argument...the pace here is just the biggest hurdle new players here have to navigate...plus we have meta on everyone...we notice when players change...the new players don't have time to digest...biggest weakness in my game...is as scum...problem is...not enough chances to play as and adapt.

I'm totally down with a game sometime. Timezone difference is a bitch, however.

No worries...I'm at FICS...my name there is gojets...look me up some time...but I do not play standard...limit myself to 3-minute blitz games...

No worries...I'm at FICS...my name there is gojets...look me up some time...but I do not play standard...limit myself to 3-minute blitz games...

3 minutes sounds good

I go with the nick "csarmi", haven't played there a very long time tho.

LOL...

Poor form on the part of me and Ishy?

I "blind squirrel'd" Wombat?

Sour grapes for real.  Very good game by the Ape, IMO.  Positioned yourself as well as you could.

No doubt. Busy with RL saddled with a goofy scum team and dude brought it as good as anyone could hope to. That being said. Ape you got 4 weeks to heal and comeback.

No doubt. Busy with RL saddled with a goofy scum team and dude brought it as good as anyone could hope to. That being said. Ape you got 4 weeks to heal and comeback.

House closes July 10, my brother gets married in NY on July 6. We begin classes for baby next Tuesday I think. We'll see... lol

Crusher, I've got a question: how often did you see me online? I'm not sure how that works, but my comp is turned on almost 24/7.

Not sure. I have problems paying attention.  But my moderator account does not allow for invisible settings. I see all teh bitches.

My take on how the game play has transformed around here - we're really good collectively at scum hunting.  I havent played too much at other sites, but from what I've seen, others sites players really dont compare.  Thats why they typically come here and get dominated.  They use less logic, use more meta and are out right afraid of putting themselves out there. 

I personally think we play at a really high level.  Its very tough be scum on this site.  Seriously, when was the last time scum won around here?  Its been a long time.  I just think we've evolved as players.  I disagree with the Ape that we've got lazy.  Its a reaction to how good we've got as townies.  Its just his style of play to get his desired results requires a ton of participation.  Where as others, can post less and get similar results.  Neither are wrong or right, or better or worse, it just what works for you.  

I got burned out on mafia for a minute, but I'm enjoying it again.  FWIW

This is true but at the same time some of the better scum players haven;t played.  Vic is best scumster ever.  SMC is very good at scum except for the stretch were he was scum 4 outta 5 games LOL.  Danx and JVOR very good at scum. 

From the Scum QT

Hold on... is it possible their's masons in this? 80 + JC one of them being cop?

".....But you're voting Lily. I'm just pointing it out because this was the biggest scum-tell I had on you for a while." - 80

"Not sure why you feel the need to pretend." - 80

This could be read as JC telling 80 not to pretend like he's noticing a scum tell on me, because they viewed me. This would be a good way for JC to breadcrumb mason with him. I'm going to lay low here, and make sure I don't give them a list of townies I've tried to frame. That's probably why 80 is wanting to know why I didn't vote Mish, he thinks I'm distancing but not truly willing to vote her.

Gotcha Ape.

Archived