Vrentas: 10 Things Rex Thinks

T0mShane

I love watching the haters hold onto the decision to dole out C's by Rex 2 years ago.  Its like the worst thing ever happened in the history of coaching.  Soooo bad, that it took a QB completely collapsing down the stretch with an 8-5 record for them to miss the playoffs.  lmfao

Besides, Holmes is clearly a leader and a captain of the team.  Just listen to how all the young WR's rave about his presence on the sideline and in the film room.  In addition, he's a world wide philanthropist. 

Anyway, thats old news.  Rex 2.0 is in the house and the NFL best be scared. 

Weeb talked the team into making Namath a captain trying to get him to be more responsible..

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Summer you were prognosticating that it would be Mark Sanchez that would be leading us to the promised land? You scoffed at those that dared question your stance.

Going down with the ship is admirable, but not necessarily smart

Tonge in cheek endorsement, everyone knew I hated him. Rex is a different story. True love. You'll be back on the bandwagon soon enough.

**** all you haters, you were on board the Rex train when he was killing Brady and Manning now you wanna hate, acting like you always been on that side... **** ya'll

Rex all the way RIDE OR DIE B&TCHES!!!

I'd rep the sh*t out of this if I could on my phone

Rex grew up as a ball boy under Weeb. The new guy Idzik was also around the team when his dad was the OC in the late 70's. 

BL you can't find "football guys" who want to work in this city. 

most of the league are good ole boys from SEC country who would rather die than work in the Sodom of NYC. many are snobs like Cowher who only want to work for "original" NFL franchises. There are other so called great coaches who don't want to go to a place without a star QB. 

this is a real thing. It is reflected in the FA signings. A team should have people working here who want to be here. 

Yes they can fire Rex but the question we need to ask is who would replace him?

The guys who have a real resume and would be better don't want this job. They could get an untested guy this is true. But how is that better? He's the best defensive mind in the game you don't throw that away for nothing. 

Yeah, there's a real feeding frenzy for those Jacksonville and Carolina jobs every four years.

Tennessee, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Atlanta also in SEC country. A team like Green Bay Packers or Buffalo might not be in the SEC boundary but it's a down-south mindset. Same with KC, both Texas teams, Minnesota, Indy, Arizona, SD, Denver etc. In the NFL obviously a job is a job and there's a very limited amount of positions but a guy who is qualified enough to be better than Rex likely doesn't come from the Northeast and want to move his family there.   

it's a problem if you are attracting top level talent, guys who have that kind of resume can choose where they want to work and alot of em don't choose to work in Yankee country.

Tennessee, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Atlanta also in SEC country. A team like Green Bay Packers or Buffalo might not be in the SEC boundary but it's a down-south mindset. Same with KC, both Texas teams, Minnesota, Indy, Arizona, SD, Denver etc. In the NFL obviously a job is a job and there's a very limited amount of positions but a guy who is qualified enough to be better than Rex likely doesn't come from the Northeast and want to move his family there.   

it's a problem if you are attracting top level talent, guys who have that kind of resume can choose where they want to work and alot of em don't choose to work in Yankee country.

Do you have anything to substantiate this whatsoever, or is this like the thing where Rex carrying Namath's helmet makes him a better coach?

Of the last thirty Super Bowl participants, only five were teams from "SEC" country.

Rex grew up as a ball boy under Weeb. The new guy Idzik was also around the team when his dad was the OC in the late 70's.

BL you can't find "football guys" who want to work in this city.

most of the league are good ole boys from SEC country who would rather die than work in the Sodom of NYC. many are snobs like Cowher who only want to work for "original" NFL franchises. There are other so called great coaches who don't want to go to a place without a star QB.

this is a real thing. It is reflected in the FA signings. A team should have people working here who want to be here.

Yes they can fire Rex but the question we need to ask is who would replace him?

The guys who have a real resume and would be better don't want this job. They could get an untested guy this is true. But how is that better? He's the best defensive mind in the game you don't throw that away for nothing.

Darrell Bevell will be the next coach of the Jets. Big name coaches don't come here because the owner is a moron who likes to play GM on occasion, foisting Favre and Tebow on said coaches.

Darrell Bevell will be the next coach of the Jets. Big name coaches don't come here because the owner is a moron who likes to play GM on occasion, foisting Favre and Tebow on said coaches.

You may have a point on Favre, but when he was healthy he also gave the Jets the best QB play they've had since 98.  Any dipsh*ts who seriously wanted to have the same exact losers who QBed the 07 squad competing for the job again in 08 would have no right to complain when they're eventually overruled.  As far as Tebow, all of the reports (including from Tanny himself) said that move was all Tanny, so I have no idea where that's coming from.  The only statements otherwise have been from fans who were looking to have someone else to bitch about for the move after Tanny was fired.  No different than how Rex magically became the real GM over these past 4 years at that point too.

The truth is that while you may see it as a black mark against the Jets or Woody, there's very rarely any "big name" coaches who end up unemployed unless they are either retiring or have had a really poor run for multiple seasons to end their last job.  How many of the NFL's current coaches were considered to be big names when they got those jobs?  I'll give you Andy Reid, John Fox, Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan.  4 out of 32.  Of those guys, there are Shanahan's Super Bowl wins 15 years ago, and the other three's biggest accomplishments were as Super Bowl losers a decade or more ago, so I have no doubt there still would have been plenty of criticism if one of those "big names" did end up as Jets coach, with no argument being made that their hire proved anything positive about Woody.  Everyone else currently serving as an NFL head coach were either previously coordinators or considered failures in their prior head coaching gigs.

You may have a point on Favre, but when he was healthy he also gave the Jets the best QB play they've had since 98. Any dipsh*ts who seriously wanted to have the same exact losers who QBed the 07 squad competing for the job again in 08 would have no right to complain when they're eventually overruled. As far as Tebow, all of the reports (including from Tanny himself) said that move was all Tanny, so I have no idea where that's coming from. The only statements otherwise have been from fans who were looking to have someone else to bitch about for the move after Tanny was fired. No different than how Rex magically became the real GM over these past 4 years at that point too.

The truth is that while you may see it as a black mark against the Jets or Woody, there's very rarely any "big name" coaches who end up unemployed unless they are either retiring or have had a really poor run for multiple seasons to end their last job. How many of the NFL's current coaches were considered to be big names when they got those jobs? I'll give you Andy Reid, John Fox, Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan. 4 out of 32. Of those guys, there are Shanahan's Super Bowl wins 15 years ago, and the other three's biggest accomplishments were as Super Bowl losers a decade or more ago, so I have no doubt there still would have been plenty of criticism if one of those "big names" did end up as Jets coach, with no argument being made that their hire proved anything positive about Woody. Everyone else currently serving as an NFL head coach were either previously coordinators or considered failures in their prior head coaching gigs.

If you believe that Tim Tebow was brought here for football reasons, you've plum lost your mind.

If you believe that Tim Tebow was brought here for football reasons, you've plum lost your mind.

I think Tim Tebow was brought here because Tanny is a ******* moron.  The Jets also haven't tried to hire a head coach since that whole mess, so I'm not really sure what the supposed relevancy was to begin with.

I think Tim Tebow was brought here because Tanny is a ******* moron. The Jets also haven't tried to hire a head coach since that whole mess, so I'm not really sure what the supposed relevancy was to begin with.

Bitonti stated that top personnel men and coaches don't take the Jets job because they're averse to the Northeast. I disagreed. Coaches with leverage pick their owners. Woody, because he pretty clearly likes to dictate personnel moves based on marketability at times, would preclude one of those top coaches from coming here.

The three coaches that have been hired here were C-list guys. Herm was a nobody position coach who got an interview due to The Rooney Rule. Mangini was Belichick's errand boy at the time he was hired, and even that was because him and Tanny were personal friends. Rex had been interviewed several times with no luck, and was passed over in Baltimore for a Special Teams coach. We can believe that coaching for Woody isn't a detriment when Woody hires a guy who isn't off the C-list.

I think Tim Tebow was brought here because Tanny is a ******* moron. The Jets also haven't tried to hire a head coach since that whole mess, so I'm not really sure what the supposed relevancy was to begin with.

And Tannenbaum, moron though he may be, has no vested interest in taking it upon himself to make the team more marketable in defiance of his coaches. Mangini didn't want Favre, Rex clearly wanted no part of Tebow. Tannenbaum didn't have the balls to override both of them to make those moves.

I knew Jenny was always too good to be on the Jets beat. We are like purgatory for journalists.

Def this. Her stuff is usually great, and the Orr kid was good too. And yet we still and prob will forever end up having that cocksucking douche, Cimini around. Curse the evil wind.

And Tannenbaum, moron though he may be, has no vested interest in taking it upon himself to make the team more marketable in defiance of his coaches. Mangini didn't want Favre, Rex clearly wanted no part of Tebow. Tannenbaum didn't have the balls to override both of them to make those moves.

Huh? Mangini named his kid Brett after we got him, and it was because of Favre.  Zach Brett Mangini.

Where did you hear that, with only Clemens & Pennington on the roster, Mangini didn't want Favre?

Bitonti stated that top personnel men and coaches don't take the Jets job because they're averse to the Northeast. I disagreed. Coaches with leverage pick their owners. Woody, because he pretty clearly likes to dictate personnel moves based on marketability at times, would preclude one of those top coaches from coming here.

The three coaches that have been hired here were C-list guys. Herm was a nobody position coach who got an interview due to The Rooney Rule. Mangini was Belichick's errand boy at the time he was hired, and even that was because him and Tanny were personal friends. Rex had been interviewed several times with no luck, and was passed over in Baltimore for a Special Teams coach. We can believe that coaching for Woody isn't a detriment when Woody hires a guy who isn't off the C-list.

No no no, people don't like coaching here because New York is a den of iniquity, or because it's not in SEC Country, or because the Jets are a bunch of longhaired counterculture warriors who offend the bluenoses with their cocky stride and musky odors, or any other reason one needs to delude oneself into thinking that of all available coaching outcomes, Rex is the best one.

Def this. Her stuff is usually great, and the Orr kid was good too. And yet we still and prob will forever end up having that cocksucking douche, Cimini around. Curse the evil wind.

Isn't she the one who ratted out the team when they were cat-calling that Mexican butterface journalist with the tight jeans & the great ass?

Huh? Mangini named his kid Brett after we got him, and it was because of Favre. Zach Brett Mangini.

Where did you hear that, with only Clemens & Pennington on the roster, Mangini didn't want Favre?

Seth Wickersham:

Mangini finally comes clean on Favre

By Rich Cimini | Aug 27, 2010 10:20 AM

Former New York Jets coach Eric Mangini is featured in a revealing piece by Seth Wickersham in the current issue of ESPN The Magazine. In the story, Mangini admits he initially wanted no part of Brett Favre in New York. The current Cleveland Browns coach isn't quoted directly, but considering he gave Wickersham five days of behind-the-scenes access, it's a safe bet that he got it from the Man-genius' mouth.

When Mangini was fired in January, 2009, after Favre's arm injury (we didn't know about it at the time) led to a late-season collapse, I reported that Mangini wasn't on board with the Favre trade. Publicly, none of the principles confirmed that. Mangini always has talked around it, using his Mangini-speak, but the following passage makes it pretty clear where he stood on Favre.

Here's a couple of graphs from Wickersham's story, describing how GM Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson pushed for the trade:

"In August, 2008, the Packers were trying to trade Favre. Mangini didn't want him. He considered Favre a hired gun, and he wanted to develop Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff. (My two cents: No mention of Chad Pennington, who still was on the roster.) But Tannenbaum and Jets owner Woody Johnson expressed interest in Favre, while also vowing that Mangini's job was safe, no matter what. And with Favre on the verge of accepting a trade to Tampa, the coach's competitiveness took over.

"'I wanted to win,' he says. So he scheduled a five-minute phone call with Favre for the next morning, then went home and read Hello, He Lied, a book that talks about successfully pitching movies to studio execs in only a few minutes. Mangini developed his selling points: The Jets were better than the Bucs, and New Jersey's hunting and fishing scene was better than Tampa's. Favre, seduced, ended up chatting for an hour ..."

Wickerstam goes on to recount the Jets' collapse, adding, "The one thing Mangini couldn't do was bench a future Hall of Famer for whom he had mortgaged the season. The night he was fired, the coach sat on his couch, thinking, You sold yourself out."

What does this have to do with anything? Let's play what-if: If the Jets didn't make the trade, maybe Mangini doesn't get fired. (Expectations would've been lower.) If he doesn't get fired, the Jets might have missed out on Mark Sanchez in the 2009. Why? The only reason they were able to trade up for Sanchez was because of the sweetheart deal offered by Mangini, then with the Browns, who was willing to take Jets trash (Ratliff, Kenyon Coleman, Abe Elam) in a trade.

For what it's worth, my peeps in Cleveland say Mangini has lightened up a bit, especially in dealing with the media. New football czar Mike Holmgren apparently has had that effect on him; that, and self-preservation.

No no no, people don't like coaching here because New York is a den of iniquity, or because it's not in SEC Country, or because the Jets are a bunch of longhaired counterculture warriors who offend the bluenoses with their cocky stride and musky odors, or any other reason one needs to delude oneself into thinking that of all available coaching outcomes, Rex is the best one.

lol

Rex Ryan: A BIG EAST KINDA GUY

Isn't she the one who ratted out the team when they were cat-calling that Mexican butterface journalist with the tight jeans & the great ass?

I don't know. I pay half attention but when I do i tend to like her articles, and Orr's. almost every time I read Cimini I want to pass gas. I don't expect some loyal acts of constant chivalry from a beat reporter, just don't be a completely dirt creep like Cimini. Jmo.

Do you have anything to substantiate this whatsoever, or is this like the thing where Rex carrying Namath's helmet makes him a better coach?

Yes: context. The Senior Bowl is basically a place for NFL workers to find jobs. I have been there every winter for a decade. the whole NFL (that isn't preparing for the Super Bowl) is there and these guys are aggressive, flat top, carnivores. As a group they are real reactionaries... like the sheriff of Malibu. "i've got a quiet beach community here lebowski." It's a military vibe and a disproportionate amount from flyover country. 

Remember when Jeff Weaver came to the Yankees and imploded, but went back to the midwest and went back to being a pro pitcher? Or when Mike Nugent was bad in NY but back in Ohio became a franchise tagged kicker? Or a thousand other examples over the years. 

Rex actually doesn't fit in with the fraternity. HIm and his brother got in by blood lines. The talent pool is quirky and has a certain vibe. Most of these guys don't have the JEts as their dream job. There are guys like Mangini and Herm who will take any job but a real improvement type of hire won't go to the Jets. 

We can believe that coaching for Woody isn't a detriment when Woody hires a guy who isn't off the C-list.

Why would A list coach want this job? Are the Jets an A list franchise? I'll give em B list but that's only because of something that happened before most of us were born. 

Why would A list coach want this job? Are the Jets an A list franchise?

Of course not. We all agree on this. But it's not because of Joe Willie's sideburns or some red state-blue state divide. It's because we don't have a QB and the owner's a putz.

or because the Jets are a bunch of longhaired counterculture warriors who offend the bluenoses with their cocky stride and musky odors

in the 60s it was called counterculture, now it's called "circus" and it's not just the coach who is to blame. This franchise has an inferiority complex that can be seen from space. 

Archived