RB Moves: John Griffin Waived, Kahlil Bell Signed

Maxman

By Henry Quintero

With recent injuries and some questions marks surrounding the current running backs on the roster, the New York Jets are looking to add some depth to the position. After bringing in a few eligible candidates for try outs the Jets have signed running back Kahlil Bell.

They also announced that RB John Griffin has been released due to the injury he suffered against the Lions.

The Former UCLA alumni is listed as 5’11″ 219 lbs. Bell saw limited game action with the bears as a third string Running Back but will be given an opportunity to make a name for himself during the pre season and fight for a roster spot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12488/kahlil-bell

Sweet. 

Bell played with us last year.  His stats:

3 games played.  Zero runs. 

1 pass target.  1 reception, for 2 yards.  1 fumble.  1 fumble lost. 

He's like the Mark Sanchez of running backs. 

I think that probably had more to do with lack of opportunity, as he just wasn't comfortable with the play-book and the coaches weren't going to work him in extensively.  If given the chance, assuming he's capable of learning the plays, he's got the ability to give us a shonne green "take what the line gives you" style of play, which would look good right now considering the dearth of healthy talent.

Horse collar tackle likely ended this kid's career and he's left with nothing except a broken leg.

It's one thing to not make it purely because you weren't good enough. It's another when you can't even try because of an injury that was caused by an illegal play in the first pre-season game.

Hope he's doing OK above the shoulders. I'd be f*cking depressed after getting cheated out of an opportunity to showcase myself like that.

Horse collar tackle likely ended this kid's career and he's left with nothing except a broken leg.

It's one thing to not make it purely because you weren't good enough. It's another when you can't even try because of an injury that was caused by an illegal play in the first pre-season game.

Hope he's doing OK above the shoulders. I'd be f*cking depressed after getting cheated out of an opportunity to showcase myself like that.

Not to mention the dooshbag announcer said it wasn;t a horse collar tackle because the tackler also had a hand on the waist. idiots. 

Not to mention the dooshbag announcer said it wasn;t a horse collar tackle because the tackler also had a hand on the waist. idiots. 

I was in a bar & couldn't hear the announcer.  The purity percentage of the tackle not being 100% horse-collar doesn't factor into it.  It was a horse-collar tackle and who knows if this poor kid is ever going to get as good a chance to showcase his stuff again.  

He's young enough to still have a career, of course, but the likelihood that someone gives him a real opportunity again is not good.  He'll be a year older plus being removed from the game all year.  NFL teams (generally) like their RB projects young and not having prior significant breaks in their careers (or prior significant breaks in their legs for that matter).  Really feel bad for him.

Finally, you're doing it right.

Not enough profanity.  I remember somebody posting we should have picked him up earlier last year.  The Bears tendered him and then tried to half his salary on the eve of the season - typical NFL scumbag move.  He called bullsh*t and was cut.  Ended up with the Jets, then cut and back to the Bears when they had injuries.  I'm surprised he wasn't already in a camp.  It may amount to the inability to practice squad him at this point. Teams would rather carry a guy they can PS and he may have too many games/seasons in. 

Archived