• Last Reply

How to talk to reporters, Jets style

August, 22, 2013
Aug 22
2:20
PM ET
By Mike Mazzeo | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Before Geno Smith began his interview with reporters Wednesday, Mark Sanchez tossed him a card and laughed.

Sanchez wouldn't tell reporters what was on the card, calling it a "full-time locker-room joke."

We're not 100 percent positive, but we think that the card was a "Media Bridge" card, which was given out to the team by its PR staff.

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta took a picture of both sides of the card and tweeted it, front and back.

Here's what the card says:

Front

• "Let me just add that"

• "That reminds me"

• "Let me answer you by saying that"

• "That's an important point because"

• "What that means is"

• "Another thing to remember is"

Back

• "If you look at it closely, you'll find"

• "what I can say is this"

• "You will each receive a copy of these as you leave today"

• "What's most important is"

• "The real issue here is"

• "I wouldn't even try to take on the job of coaching what I can tell you is"

• "That's not my area of expertise, but I think your audience would be interested in knowing that"

Next time we hear an answer that contains one of these phrases, at least we'll know where it came from ...

0a55ab99202d64c3b64435a0f316f609_normal.

"Experience counts. There's no ? about that. There's no substitute for it. Very little substitute for it" -- #Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg
17m
Beat Writer / Columnist

Experience does count and we have experienced Sanchez.  During that experience, I have come to the conclusion I haven't liked that experience.  Time for a new experience please!!

"Experience counts. There's no ? about that. There's no substitute for it. Very little substitute for it" -- #Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg
17m
Beat Writer / Columnist

17m
Beat Writer / Columnist

but what about repeated awful experience....?

My guess is this is Marty sending the message to Geno, "we're going with Mark unless you change our minds vs. the Giants". 

Ball is in Geno's court.

My guess is this is Marty sending the message to Geno, "we're going with Mark unless you change our minds vs. the Giants". 

Ball is in Geno's court.

what exactly has Sanchez convinced them of?   That they might lose by fewer points?

what exactly has Sanchez convinced them of?   That they might lose by fewer points?

Not sure I know how to answer. I was basically saying don't take Marty's quotes at face value, they may be nothing more than prods for Geno to step up.... because that may be what the coaching staff wants.

I know how to answer. I was basically saying don't take Marty's quotes at face value, they may be nothing more than prods for Geno to step up.... because that may be what the coaching staff wants.

I am sure the majority of the FO and the coaching staff want to see Geno be the guy.  I just do not understand why the team has to make a decision after this game.  It is some unwritten law.  Serby says the team has to know who its leader is.  What if the guy is not a leader?  Sanchez is not a leader---that is a known quantity.  Geno may be one.  so you wait an extra game for more evidence, no?  I am tired of writers trying to set the standards for coaches, laying down rules and such.

None of this makes any sense.

Its the last week of training camp and Geno has practiced every single day with the 1's, he is starting the 3rd preseason game which is supposed to be the "dress rehearsal", he's been praised by coaches the last two practices for his play, and it's clear Sanchez is still having the same issues as last year, yet we're supposed to believe that they are still going to start Sanchez week 1? I just don't get it.

Why take all of these valuable practice days away from Sanchez this week? Why take these reps away from him in the game, reps that he CLEARLY needs?

I am not buying the fact that Sanchez is the front runner for the starting job. I think they are simply telling him that, through the media, to protect his psyche (once again). If Geno show's he can play Saturday, the job is his and they no longer have to worry about Sanchez. BUT if Geno shows he is not quite ready, they don't want the sulky Sanchez playing who had his feelings hurt like last year.

Its the last week of training camp and Geno has practiced every single day with the 1's, he is starting the 3rd preseason game which is supposed to be the "dress rehearsal", he's been praised by coaches the last two practices for his play, and it's clear Sanchez is still having the same issues as last year, yet we're supposed to believe that they are still going to start Sanchez week 1? I just don't get it.

Why take all of these valuable practice days away from Sanchez this week? Why take these reps away from him in the game, reps that he CLEARLY needs?

I am not buying the fact that Sanchez is the front runner for the starting job. I think they are simply telling him that, through the media, to protect his psyche (once again). If Geno show's he can play Saturday, the job is his and they no longer have to worry about Sanchez. BUT if Geno shows he is not quite ready, they don't want the sulky Sanchez playing who had his feelings hurt like last year.

because sanchez can get all the reps in practice and games.  he will still make the same mistakes... Geno, on the other hand is a prospect who may not make those mistakes if he gets the proper experience via game time and practice reps.  The only thing that I hesitate about letting Geno start week one if he shows promise Sat night is that if he sh*ts the bed in week 1 and 2, we cant go back to the sanchize imo. Whereas if sanchize sh*ts the bed in week 1 and 2, we can go to the rookie who will have 10 days to prepare for game 3. 

just my opinion but it will keep my attention and hopes a bit higher thinking that there might be something in the cupboard rather than knowing that fumanchu is in there...

The belief is that Geno is getting all of the practice reps and the start this week because of all of the practice / playing time he missed out on last week with his injury.  Sanchez got 3 days with the 1st last week and I think it's safe to assume that, if not for the injury, the initial plan was for Geno to have gotten the start vs Jacksonville.  The Jets clearly aren't going to let an ankle injury be the deciding factor in their QB battle, so this is where we find ourselves.  As far as the idea of which one is slated to start the season, it would seem at this point that is very much undecided, as it would appear the Jets would like Geno to win but he's got to go out there and show them he can handle it first.

because sanchez can get all the reps in practice and games.  he will still make the same mistakes... Geno, on the other hand is a prospect who may not make those mistakes if he gets the proper experience via game time and practice reps.  The only thing that I hesitate about letting Geno start week one if he shows promise Sat night is that if he sh*ts the bed in week 1 and 2, we cant go back to the sanchize imo. Whereas if sanchize sh*ts the bed in week 1 and 2, we can go to the rookie who will have 10 days to prepare for game 3. 

just my opinion but it will keep my attention and hopes a bit higher thinking that there might be something in the cupboard rather than knowing that fumanchu is in there...

I agree with you but this is spoken like a fan. The coaches would have to be thinking "sh*t, if Sanchez is gonna start we need to get him as many reps as possible". Not giving him no reps with the 1's the last week of training camp and then not starting him the 3rd week of preseason. I just don't buy it. It's clear to me that they feel the same way all of us do and just want Geno to step up this weekend and show he can play so they can close the door on Sanchez for good. They're afraid to say that though because if he doesn't step up and they feel they are better off with Sanchez they don't want him to know how ready they were to throw him away.

Just my opinion but we'll see. Hopefully this kid steps up Sat night and plays well.

The belief is that Geno is getting all of the practice reps and the start this week because of all of the practice / playing time he missed out on last week with his injury.  Sanchez got 3 days with the 1st last week and I think it's safe to assume that, if not for the injury, the initial plan was for Geno to have gotten the start vs Jacksonville.  The Jets clearly aren't going to let an ankle injury be the deciding factor in their QB battle, so this is where we find ourselves.  As far as the idea of which one is slated to start the season, it would seem at this point that is very much undecided, as it would appear the Jets would like Geno to win but he's got to go out there and show them he can handle it first.

Ok fair enough....still a little weird if Sanchez truly is the frontrunner like the coaches seem to be saying. I know they are saying it is still wide open but certain things they say make me believe they are trying to convince Sanchez otherwise. Rex insinuating that Geno has to play "like Phil Simms in the superbowl" and the QB coach saying the QB competition would have to go into a 4th week for Geno to win the starting job.

These words just don't match up with their actions of taking away valuable practices/preseason reps from their supposed starting QB who is in desperate need of all the practice he can get.

just a weird situation haha

Archived