Did Rex put Sanchez in to show up Geno?

KADET

I have to wonder.

Rex has a huge ego, and my gut tells me that he put Sanchez in to make the statement that he was right all along for standing behind Sanchez.

That is the only logical reason that I can find for Rex's terrible folly.

I have to wonder.

Rex has a huge ego, and my gut tells me that he put Sanchez in to make the statement that he was right all along for standing behind Sanchez.

I could see that. But would it have even been an issue if the GM stayed out of the coaches business from the beginning?

I have to wonder.

Great first post!

even tho I think he's better than Geno (right now) I can't subscribe to the idea that Sanchez needed to be protected. He's not Andrew Luck. There's literally no long term value to the franchise. He played because he needed reps. 3rd stringers manage to play behind the same line and not get killed. It's just one of those things. 

I think he put Sanchez in because he wanted to solidify Sanchez' position as #1 after Geno's bad performance, and he thought that Sanchez leading the team to victory, even in a preseason game, would give the team some momentum and belief in themselves.

It almost worked.  Sanchez had the Jets moving quite smartly down the field until he screwed up on a slightly low shotgun snap.  Then he came back and was doing well again until the hit.

I can not see why Rex is even being questioned for putting Sanchez in. Listening to Mehta and Cimini you would think that Rex just made the biggest error in the history of football. Bullcrap, Sanchez was the back up in this game, he never earned any right to be treated as if he was a valuable commodity needing to be protected, in fact the only logical choice was to put him in and see if he could finally show that he could play error free football. Didn't happen folks, what was it, his second or third snap and he fumbles the ball away right off the bat so how is it that he shouldn't have been in there. 

Rex did the absolute correct thing in putting Sanchez in the game when he did, this is still a QB competition isn't it? Well in my opinion its still wide open, sure Geno had a very poor game, but I've seen Sanchez have worse. I still think Geno will be the starter but I actually wish he would have to be the back up for the first half season at least. Its apparent he needs more work but he is still the better talent but needs time to develop.

c'mon

this is all about the moon really being an alien space station.  the british royal family are actually shape shifting lizards.  as nibiru approaches, the end times are near

rex was just doing what his reptilian overlords commanded him to do

I have to wonder.

I think it was more a shot at John Idzik for bending the rules of the competition to give Geno more reps. In any case it will turn out to be Rex's undoing, especially the way he showed his a$$ at the press conference. Does anyone here go to newyorkjets.com? It's hilarious the write up Eric Allen did on Geno Smith's "uneven" performance. I know these guys (Allen, Randy Lange) are on Woody's payroll because they even wear Jets shirts, but even THIS was unbelieveable assessment of Smith's performance.

even tho I think he's better than Geno (right now) I can't subscribe to the idea that Sanchez needed to be protected. He's not Andrew Luck. There's literally no long term value to the franchise. He played because he needed reps. 3rd stringers manage to play behind the same line and not get killed. It's just one of those things.

Simply put, Sanchez was playing behind the 2nd team line because he's a second teamer.

I think he put Sanchez in because he wanted to solidify Sanchez' position as #1 after Geno's bad performance, and he thought that Sanchez leading the team to victory, even in a preseason game, would give the team some momentum and belief in themselves.

It almost worked.  Sanchez had the Jets moving quite smartly down the field until he screwed up on a slightly low shotgun snap.  Then he came back and was doing well again until the hit.

Actually I think your right.  if Sanchez had done what Simms did it would have been OK.

It didn't.   This might be on his Jets tombstone

Weren't you guys listening to the press conference?..he put Sanchez in to win the Snoopy Trophy,..it's that simple,.he wasn't joking he really is that childish and immature. No conspiracy here.

The problem with that statement from Rex is that 2 weeks ago when he admitted that he wasn't even watching the offense he basically said that preseason is meaningless and he'll pay attention when the season starts.  

Rex can't have it both ways.   Personally, I don't have a problem with a 2nd team QB playing with the backups, injuries happen.   Chadwick broke his wrist vs. the Giants playing with the #1 line.   This is just part of football.  

It doesn't matter that Sanchez has no long term value for the team.  He had immediate/short term value to the team as the only veteran QB.  He's crap, but he could have guided the team until Geno was ready.  You don't throw your starter out there at the end of a meaningless preseason game behind your 3rd string OL.  That's just mind-numbingly stupid.  

He did not need the reps.  That's BS.  He's a 4-year starter.  He's already had a ton of reps.  A few snaps with future bag boys and furniture movers or UPS drivers is not gonna help him one darned bit.  If your 3rd string QB gets hurt, no one gives a rat's patoot because it's no loss.  You really kill me sometimes with your hairbrained opinions.

I have to wonder.

I have to wonder.

I think he put him in because the competition was not decided by Geno's performance simple as that. Sanchez has not been much better in the preseason, and last year he was pathetically bad, bad enough the Jets drafted Geno and seriously considered him at 13. Geno made mistakes but did good things too, just like Sanchez did. There IS NOT much separating them, and likely they want to see more. Rex played Sanchez because he needed more snaps in the competition period. And he quickly made another bad mistake.

I think it was more a shot at John Idzik for bending the rules of the competition to give Geno more reps. In any case it will turn out to be Rex's undoing, especially the way he showed his a$$ at the press conference. Does anyone here go to newyorkjets.com? It's hilarious the write up Eric Allen did on Geno Smith's "uneven" performance. I know these guys (Allen, Randy Lange) are on Woody's payroll because they even wear Jets shirts, but even THIS was unbelieveable assessment of Smith's performance.

Geno did not play that bad. He did some things significantly better than Sanchez can. He showed mobility, the ability to throw a screen (something Sanchez failed at again last night), command of the offense and huddle. He was nervous, and held onto the ball a little bit too long, but that improved as the night when on. He threw and inaccurate pass, QBs underthrow that pass all the time and almost get it intercepted, but the CB made the play. He threw the ball up in the face of a blitz, but Winslow also ran a bad pattern, and threw a zone blitz int which happens to the best QBs. All situations Geno will learn from. It simply was not as bad as people want to make it seem and seriously are people forgetting how prone Sanchez is STILL to these types of games. Holy crap the Sanchez support is ridiculous.

Archived