the GM shouldn't undercut the HC on QB

bitonti

Simple question, after Rex is gone, what kind of coach is gonna want to work for a GM who publicly undercuts his ability to pick a quarterback?

Every team in the league picks their QB before preseason week 3. WE as Jets fans just saw what happens when you don't. This competition has been a farce. Geno lost it and they gave him a super special extra chance to win it, and he choked. How does this look to anyone who would want to take this job.  

note this thread isn't about Idzik's absolutely garbage free agent signings (too many to list), or how he traded the team's best player (understandable but still troublesome to a new head coach). 

The hopeful answer is that the next head coach will be Bill Walsh part II and Idzik won't have to interfere cause he will trust him more than Rex. 

BUt seriously, what kind of precedent is this? That the GM says to the media, I'm gonna pick the QB, not the HC. and then he cocks it up this bad?  Who would want this job? 

all of this mess could have been avoided if the football coaches were allowed to make football decisions on a normal time line. there's a reason why everyone does it a certain way. And the reason is that if the rookie didn't win it by game three, he's not ready to win it.  there's also a reason why GM and HC are different full time positions. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gimme a break - the question of "who would want this job" is and has been relevant for a long, long time - it didn't suddenly appear with Idzik and the comment about deciding on the QB that's been spun into oblivion.

Simple question, after Rex is gone, what kind of coach is gonna want to work for a GM who publicly undercuts his ability to pick a quarterback?

Every team in the league picks their QB before preseason week 3. WE as Jets fans just saw what happens when you don't. This competition has been a farce. Geno lost it and they gave him a super special extra chance to win it, and he choked. How does this look to anyone who would want to take this job.  

note this thread isn't about Idzik's absolutely garbage free agent signings (too many to list), or how he traded the team's best player (understandable but still troublesome to a new head coach). 

The hopeful answer is that the next head coach will be Bill Walsh part II and Idzik won't have to interfere cause he will trust him more than Rex. 

BUt seriously, what kind of precedent is this? That the GM says to the media, I'm gonna pick the QB, not the HC. and then he cocks it up this bad?  Who would want this job? 

all of this mess could have been avoided if the football coaches were allowed to make football decisions on a normal time line. there's a reason why everyone does it a certain way. And the reason is that if the rookie didn't win it by game three, he's not ready to win it.  there's also a reason why GM and HC are different full time positions. 

Dude, did Idzik kick your dog or something?

Gimme a break - the question of "who would want this job" is and has been relevant for a long, long time - it didn't suddenly appear with Idzik and the comment about deciding on the QB that's been spun into oblivion.

Serious question when do GMs interfere in lineup choices like this? Besides Jerry jones. Yes people who can't get anyother job will love to work for Idzik. But no one with a reputation would want a GM who doesn't give final lineup control to the HC. 

Dude, did Idzik kick your dog or something?

This is a great way to not address the topic at hand.

I have 2 simple questions for Idzik fans:

1) Why is it ok for John Idzik to publicly tell the media that the HC won't get to pick the QB

2)  It's going into preseason week 4 and they still haven't picked a starter. how is this acceptable?

Serious question when do GMs interfere in lineup choices like this? Besides Jerry jones. Yes people who can't get anyother job will love to work for Idzik. But no one with a reputation would want a GM who doesn't give final lineup control to the HC. 

There's a difference between interfering and influencing. Idzik was brought in to help the team, Rex was allowed to stay. It's an obvious environment where the new guy should be influencing the old guy towards better decisions. Plain and simple. I'm sure it happens all the time... you, like the media, are sensationalizing it into more than it is.

You really think that every other franchise exists in this other universe where the GM and Owner don't have check-ins with the coach to see how things are going, to give their input, see if there are players that need to be cut and replace, etc? 

You've got to be kidding me.

This thread, and your entire angle here is drenched with agenda/bias.

Gross.

You should be ashamed of yourself. LOL

1) Why is it ok for John Idzik to publicly tell the media that the HC won't get to pick the QB

2)  It's going into preseason week 4 and they still haven't picked a starter. how is this acceptable?

I don't know if it's so much as being an "Idzik fan" as not wanting to destroy the new GM before he gets to do that himself.

1.) He didn't say that, you are spinning what he ACTUALLY said

2.) This is also untrue, all we actually know is that they haven't announced a starter - we don't know what goes on in closed meetings

Again, this angle you are taking is foolishly biased, and uninformed.

Gross!!!!

I'm neither a fan nor a non-fan of Idzik at this point. 

As of right now, no one he has signed or drafted has played a single meaningful game. I'd like to see at least one quarter of real football before I pass judgement on the guy. 

1. Idzik did not tell the media that the head coach would not get to pick the QB. Idzik said he'd have a "pretty big role" in making the decision and that it would be a group decision. I'm pretty sure most GMs have a say who the starting QB is in a situation like this. Its not remotely close to the first time we've ever heard that. 

2. Its acceptable in that neither one of our potential starters has done anything rock solid to take the job and make it theirs. If one of these guys had just played lights out I would feel differently.

Personally, I'd like Sanchez to start and give Geno more time to learn. I also think Idzik would probably want the same based on what we've seen so far. 

I don't know if it's so much as being an "Idzik fan" as not wanting to destroy the new GM before he gets to do that himself.

Oh, but you are missing the point - you aren't playing fair here if you don't opt-in to one side or the other of a polarizing argument, even if the polarization is manufactured from hearsay and spin.

Oh, but you are missing the point - you aren't playing fair here if you don't opt-in to one side or the other of a polarizing argument, even if the polarization is manufactured from hearsay and spin.

Teams pick their starters before week 3 of the preseason. This is completely unprecedented and there's no way to spin it that it's a good job by the GM. 

Here's a simple idea the GM should be the GM and the HC should be the HC. Bad things happen when well intentioned people try to do too many jobs. 

If we had a QB that was deserving this would not be an issue- we are giving these guys a chance to show they deserve it- sadly no one has shown that so far. And I do not want to hear Mark has played so well that he is the annointed starter- 4years plus tells us otherwise

If he was influencing who was starting on defense I would be concerned.  Rex absolutely needs help with his offensive side of the ball decision making at this point in his HC career.  as far as what Idzik did up to this point in his NYJ GM position is opened up a ton of cap room for next year while attempting to find stop gap players for this year.  His hand was dealt before he took the job. 

1) Its ok when you know the QB the HC wants to pick is Mark Sanchez.

2) It's acceptable when you don't truly have a obvious starting QB on the roster.

Teams pick their starters before week 3 of the preseason. This is completely unprecedented and there's no way to spin it that it's a good job by the GM. 

Here's a simple idea the GM should be the GM and the HC should be the HC. Bad things happen when well intentioned people try to do too many jobs. 

Not always, no it isn't.

Your second sentence is very cute, and idealistic, but it's a joke. Multi-million dollar franchises are typically run out of joint decision-making, even ones not called the Jets. You are making it sound as if Idzik said he's picking the final roster and stripping Rex of all authority, he didn't say this, and you are making it sound as if this is the only time a GM has ever influenced a roster decision - which is a baffling conclusion for you to reach.

This whole thread is gross. Just plain disgusting gross grossness. 

a HC doesn't want a GM who intereferes this badly. who is gonna want this job? Idzik's personal assistant? Come to NY coaches and get completely dominated in the most important decisions in the offseason. And he'll tell the media he's doing it too!  

you are making it sound as if this is the only time a GM has ever influenced a roster decision  

show me another example where the GM didn't allow the HC to declare a starting QB in a normal amount of time. It simply isn't done. and if you can find such an example the GM is probably gonna be an owner like Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Great.

a HC doesn't want a GM who intereferes this badly. who is gonna want this job? Idzik's personal assistant? Come to NY coaches and get completely dominated in the most important decisions in the offseason. And he'll tell the media he's doing it too!  

How badly? You have ZERO evidence that Idzik has influenced or interfered at all, let alone "badly". 

Drama queen is dramatic.

So illogical, it seems like you are trolling --- but I've come to know you well enough to know that's not the case. LOL

show me another example where the GM didn't allow the HC to declare a starting QB in a normal amount of time. It simply isn't done. and if you can find such an example the GM is probably gonna be an owner like Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Great.

I don't have time for this today. LOL

1.) He didn't say that, you are spinning what he ACTUALLY said

2.) This is also untrue, all we actually know is that they haven't announced a starter - we don't know what goes on in closed meetings

Again, this angle you are taking is foolishly biased, and uninformed.

Gross!!!!

+1

... biotini is Tanny's mom, huh?

2012:

Seattle's 3rd pre-season game was August 26th.

Russell Wilson announced as starter August 27th, after the 3rd pre-season game, which you said is "completely unprecedented" above.

Unprecedented? It just happened - quite famously - just last season.  

Call on QB belongs to Rex, not Idzik

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 27, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

Rex RyanAP

One of the most obvious points of contention between the Jets’ present and future will be their quarterback decision.

But according to a report by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, (who may or may not have given the governor a harumph), the call on whether Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith starts will be made by coach Rex Ryan, not new General Manager John Idzik.

“I’m sure John will have his say,” a team source said. “But at the end of the day, Rex will consult his coaches and make the decision.”

Of course, there are deep organizational implications to either decision.

Ryan, who enters the season on thin ice, will obviously be more inclined to go with Sanchez. He’s seen the former first-rounder hold the wheel for a team that went to two AFC Championship Games. He knows what he can do. Smith’s a complete unknown, and may be wholly unprepared to start, even if Idzik were to lean on Ryan to make that decision.

Idzik said at the start of camp he’d have a “pretty big role” in deciding the quarterback, but ultimately, would cede that call to Ryan.

“John and I are really like shoulder-to-shoulder in decisions that we make,” Ryan said Monday. “We are side-by-side on every decision that goes into it-who plays, who’s making the team, all those type of things, . . . We are side-by-side with each other.”

Of course, playing Sanchez in the fourth quarter of a preseason game behind backup linemen and getting him hurt might complicate matters, since it’s unclear if his bruised shoulder would allow him to play.

But given the unstable state of the Jets, it might all be a moot point, and Idzik might simply be letting Ryan make one last important call, before what looks like an inevitable mess this season.

2012:

Seattle's 3rd pre-season game was August 26th.

Russell Wilson announced as starter August 27th, after the 3rd pre-season game, which you said is "completely unprecedented" above.

Unprecedented? It just happened - quite famously - just last season.  

On the team that Idzik came from.... coincidence, perhaps?

Well sure, but it fits nicely into bitonti's anti-Idzik rhetoric, so it must be gold.

It totally isn't because he's been throwing a never-ending fit about the Jets new GM, and everything he says or does, ever since he traded away his favorite person.

Archived