Holmes Says he Has a Ways To Go

flgreen

As he returns to practice, Jets receiver Santonio Holmes says, 'I've still got a ways to go'

The only route running Santonio Holmes has done was on the field Saturday before the Giants game. (John Munson/The Star-Ledger)

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By  Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger  

on August 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM, updated August 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ best wide receiver and a potential weapon in their new West Coast offense, offered no indication Tuesday about the likelihood of him playing in the Sept. 8 opener against Tampa Bay.

Holmes ran routes on the field before Saturday’s game against the Giants. Route running and hard cutting were going to be the next step for him in his recovery from a Lisfranc (mid-foot) fracture to his left foot, an injury he suffered Sept. 30 against San Francisco. Until the Giants pregame, Holmes had just done straight-ahead running.

He said he is not 100 percent, and when asked whether he could play at less than 100 percent, he said, “I have a long career ahead of me, so I’m going to take the best risk and the best chances for myself and for the team.”

Holmes was added Friday to the active roster, making him eligible to play against Tampa Bay. He returned to practice in shoulder pads Monday for the first time since getting hurt. He participated on a limited basis, as he did Tuesday. He said he has not done any route running or cutting other than what he did before the Giants game.

As for his feeling on whether he will play in Week 1, he said, “It’s coach’s decision. Doctors still have to continue evaluating me. It’s been a long process. I’ve come a long way up until this point. I can’t put any timetable on it, just because my progress of doing some thing to your guys’ attention doesn’t really boost the trainers’ push for me to be on the field right away.”

He was referring to reporters seeing him run routes on the field Saturday and taking that as an indication that he was progressing significantly in his recovery from two surgeries.

He said he has been “really limited” in practice this week and has just been “getting a feel for what I can and cannot do right now. Going to keep that to a minimum and steadily make good progress from there. … I do drills and stuff off to the side of the field and not much team participation.

“Still right now it’s getting comfortable and in the right shoe, making sure the right fit is for me. I need the right cleat, so that we don’t have any occurrences to reoccur at any moment.”

Holmes said he is “a long ways” from being his usual self, adding, “I’ve still got a ways to go. It’s all about learning how to run routes again, to be able to put my foot in the ground again, be able to burst and release versus pressure, coverages, guys in front of me. We still have a lot of steps to continue making right now.”

The pain in his foot is “still off and on,” he said. “(I am) going to treatments at least three or four times a day and taking the right meds to help regulate it. We’re definitely making progress in that aspect.”

He did not feel any abnormally bad pain on Sunday, after running routes Saturday.

“Pretty much felt like I would any day,” he said. “It was my first time running routes, so a little bit sore afterward. I kind of took it easy and went through a recovery phase from that point on.”

Before the Giants game, Holmes spoke to former Giants offensive lineman Shaun O’Hara, who also dealt with a Lisfranc injury, which can be tough to recover from.

“He stopped and talked to me about his process of dealing with the Lisfranc injury and his dos and don’ts,” he said. “I kind of took heed to it and understand the process he had to go through.”

Holmes has come to accept that regular treatments will be required to manage his foot going forward.

“(Treatments are) mandatory that I continue the healing process because it’s such a rough injury to deal with,” he said. “I can’t just heal by not going to treatments and just thinking that I’m OK and that I’ll get better one day. I think the treatments are definitely helping speed up the process.”

Naturally, he was also asked his feelings about the uncertainty surrounding the Jets’ starting quarterback, as the Mark Sanchez-Geno Smith competition continues, even though both might be done playing in games for the preseason.

“I don’t have any thoughts on that,” Holmes said. “I haven’t been on the field with either of the guys thus far, so I have no rights to say who should and should not be starting for us right now.”

Santonio Holmes ready for opener? Depends on who you ask

Published: August 27, 2013 10:12 PM

By BARBARA BARKER  barbara.barker@newsday.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - So how has Santonio Holmes looked in his first week of practice in nearly 11 months?

The answer depends on whom you ask.

Jets coach Rex Ryan says that from what he's seen, Holmes is "in great shape" and he is optimistic that the wide receiver will play in the season opener Sept. 8. Holmes, however, says he is far from "100 percent" and downplayed the possibility of being ready for Week 1.

"I would say I have a long ways to go," said Holmes, who has not played since he suffered a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot last September against the 49ers. "Like I talked about before, it's all about learning routes again, to be able to put my foot in the ground again, to be able to burst and release versus pressure coverages . . . We still have a lot of steps to continue making right now."

Holmes was activated off the physically unable to perform list on Friday, a sign that the team believes he can be ready for the start of the season. His practices Monday and Tuesday were limited.

"We're really just phasing Santonio in right now," Ryan said. "It's not like he's going out there every snap."

Still Ryan likes what he has seen.

"I think he's in great shape," Ryan said. "He's in phenomenal shape. I saw him run. He looked pretty good to me. But again, I'm optimistic about it. We'll see. Obviously, the young man has to sign off before anybody plays."

Holmes was asked several times if he was downplaying his progress, especially since he has looked impressive when he has been on the practice field.

"Looks are deceiving," Holmes said. "It can look one way, but to me it's not the same."

The Jets badly need Holmes to return to the field to bolster its receiving corps. If Holmes cannot play, the team's top downfield threat is second- year receiver Stephen Hill, who has struggled to catch the ball.

Holmes indicated that he is not going to endanger his career by rushing back before he believes he is ready.

"I have a long career ahead of me," the 29-year-old said when asked if he would play if he was only 75 percent. "I'm going to take the best risk and the best chances for myself and for my team."

He might not be 100% but we need this guy out there to give the team a boost. Like Jeter for the Yankees. You don't think seeing your captain out there competing gets the team fired up?

Jeter gives me a MUCH different vibe then Holmes.....plus, the only guy the Jets had that gave us an automatic boost when he was on the field was Revis....just seeing dude line up out there it was like awww sh*t lets do this D! Defensively speaking of course....not sure if anyone carries that presence in our Offense.....Simms will thou if his # ever gets called 

Jeter gives me a MUCH different vibe then Holmes.....plus, the only guy the Jets had that gave us an automatic boost when he was on the field was Revis....just seeing dude line up out there it was like awww sh*t lets do this D! Defensively speaking of course....not sure if anyone carries that presence in our Offense.....Simms will thou if his # ever gets called

I didn't say it IS the same man. I mean it kinda is but even I'll admit Holmes needs another great season before people will look at him the same as Jeter, but he's been mentoring the young guys all off-season and is currently fighting to come back and help his team in anyway he can. Sounds a little bit like another NY captain we know, doesn't it? Don't forget he took a pay cut cause he loves this team so much, Jeter never did that

I didn't say it IS the same man. I mean it kinda is but even I'll admit Holmes needs another great season before people will look at him the same as Jeter, but he's been mentoring the young guys all off-season and is currently fighting to come back and help his team in anyway he can. Sounds a little bit like another NY captain we know, doesn't it? Don't forget he took a pay cut cause he loves this team so much, Jeter never did that

Ahhh i hear ya but Holmes may need a whole another career in the NFL to be on the same level as Jeter...Jeter will go down as one of the greatest yankees in history....Holmes will be forgotten as a Jet in 10 years and will just be known for his superbowl catch with the steelers.....it is what it is

He might not be 100% but we need this guy out there to give the team a boost. Like Jeter for the Yankees. You don't think seeing your captain out there competing gets the team fired up?

id say its closer to Arod rejoining the yanks. But I hear what you are saying

Archived