Richardson vs. Revis

Klecko73isGod

The only way to properly judge the Revis trade is to look at what the guy the Jets got as a result of that trade did in relation to Revis. 

Revis - 1 tackle, 1 solo, 2 passes defensed, $1 million salary for the game. 

Richardson - 7 tackles, 3 solo, 1/2 sack, QB hit.  - $152,250.00 salary for the game. 

Advantage: Idzik. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis was Revis yesterday. He was a blanket and he took away HOlmes. on our offense that's no big deal but if we had him taking away Vincent Jackson that would have been huge. Im not taking away anything from Sheldon, who had a great debut and was a great pick. But Revis is an all time great. Just cause he isn't a Jet anymore doesn't mean he sucks.

Yeah, couldnt have been more wrong about Idzik. Nothing to do with the final score yesterday - but he added some nice players to this team. Barnes too.

Barnes played for Rex in Baltimore, and Kellen Winslow played against him. I have a feeling Rex had a lot of input into those two pick-ups. He likes his guys, and guys who beat him (see: Holmes, Sporano).

Revis was Revis yesterday. He was a blanket and he took away HOlmes. on our offense that's no big deal but if we had him taking away Vincent Jackson that would have been huge. Im not taking away anything from Sheldon, who had a great debut and was a great pick. But Revis is an all time great. Just cause he isn't a Jet anymore doesn't mean he sucks.

Who said he sucks? The real question is: is one corner worth 16 million dollars, which is nearly 15% of your total cap space, in a league where teams are routinely running 4 and 5 wide receiver sets? I say no. 

I personally think Richardson had a bigger overall impact on the game. Plus, when you consider how much less of the cap he eats up, it makes the move look like a no-brainer. 

Barnes played for Rex in Baltimore, and Kellen Winslow played against him. I have a feeling Rex had a lot of input into those two pick-ups. He likes his guys, and guys who beat him (see: Holmes, Sporano).

Valid observation, just wish pushed harder for Peyton. :)

The only way to properly judge the Revis trade is to look at what the guy the Jets got as a result of that trade did in relation to Revis. 

Revis - 1 tackle, 1 solo, 2 passes defensed, $1 million salary for the game. 

Richardson - 7 tackles, 3 solo, 1/2 sack, QB hit.  - $152,250.00 salary for the game. 

Advantage: Idzik. 

Revis is great.  One of the best to ever play his position.  And even as great as he is, as JF80 astutely pointed out, Geno is the first 2nd round QB to throw for 250yards and win on opening day since the NFL merger.  So yeah, F Darrelle Revis and his 16 mil per.

Richardson is a monster.  Just think how fast this guy is going to play when it "clicks".  Yikes!!! 

there's two questions here 1) who is better 2) who is the better value. It's true Revis' contract is ludicrous. But he's still a great player. The NFL salary cap is 125 mil and the Bucs had to spend to get to the floor. If you are gonna pay someone, might as well pay Revis. If the Jets had 50 mil in room maybe we aren't having this conversation. 

lolwut?  The same Holmes who probably shouldn't have even been out there?  Yeah, what a challenge.

yeah  but the other side of that coin is if he was in Green he'd be taking away Vincent Jackson. Which would have been huge. Arguably huger than Richardson's .5 sack. And I really like Richardson . I don't know if anyone else noticed but Cro was garbage yesterday. Milliner wasn't much better. 

is it a 10x less difference no. Richardson is a better value to be sure. But revis is an all time great and sometimes those guys make way more money than everyone else.

yeah  but the other side of that coin is if he was in Green he'd be taking away Vincent Jackson. Which would have been huge. Arguably huger than Richardson's .5 sack. And I really like Richardson .

I love how you left out Richardson's 7 tackles and the fact that he spent the whole afternoon in Freeman's face. 

yeah  but the other side of that coin is if he was in Green he'd be taking away Vincent Jackson. Which would have been huge. Arguably huger than Richardson's .5 sack. And I really like Richardson .

There's no guarantee Revis would have shut down V-Jax.  I'll wait till he faces some real WR's before we say he's "back" yet.

And coming from the guy that trumped up Vernon Gholston for any reason that didn't show up in a box score I take your stats argument regarding Richardson with a grain of salt, and it might not even be worth that.  Richardson was disruptive yesterday.

(Ninja'd by Klecko.  Damn.)

I love how you left out Richardson's 7 tackles and the fact that he spent the whole afternoon in Freeman's face. 

i said about 5x in this thread alone that I really like Richardson. He had a great game. Drafting Richardson was the only really good move IDzik made all offseason. 

Cool.  Even if you're right, the Bucs paid QB money for a guy who won't be able to win them games.  I didn't see him shutting down Kellen "Soulja" Winslow.  What gives?

like i said the BUcs had to spend to get to the floor this offseason. It's a totally different situation. If the Jets had a payroll of 80 mil last year they wouldn't have to be obsessed with value and cheapness.

i said about 5x in this thread alone that I really like Richardson. He had a great game. Drafting Richardson was the only really good move IDzik made all offseason. 

Barnes looked good, Winslow looked good, Geno looked good, Colon was the best player on the OL, Landry looked good minus the one missed tackle.   

I've been critical of the guy too, but his few signings made impact plays yesterday. 

Really?  The ONLY good move?

JetsDraft.jpg

slider-4.jpg

image.JPG

like i said the BUcs had to spend to get to the floor this offseason. It's a totally different situation. If the Jets had a payroll of 80 mil last year they wouldn't have to be obsessed with value and cheapness.

The Bucs don't understand ANYTHING about value.  You really don't think giving Revis QB money and overpaying Vincent Jackson won't come back to bite them later?  How are they going to pay Doug Martin down the line?  Or a real QB whenever they find one?  The Bucs were thinking short-term and it's going to backfire.

The Bucs don't understand ANYTHING about value.  You really don't think giving Revis QB money and overpaying Vincent Jackson won't come back to bite them later?  How are they going to pay Doug Martin down the line?  Or a real QB whenever they find one?  The Bucs were thinking short-term and it's going to backfire.

i didn't say the only good move. I said the only "really good" move. THese other guys might be good or ok but Richardson looks to be a possible Pro Bowl player.  He's legit.

Colon had a penalty. Winslow is good for now. let's see how long they last. Landry had a great iNT but also some bad missed tackles (and no speed to catch anyone, Demario Davis is faster than all the safeties). Geno Smith had an ok game (INT, strip sack, took a 18 yard sack to take the team out of FG range etc.) Richardson is the only move Idzik made that is really good. 

as for the bucs maybe you don't get the situation they had to spend to get to the floor. They had to pay someone. Might as well be the best CB since Deion. 

So the Jets were obsessed with value and cheapness because their previous GM overspent on crap and that is Idzik's fault how, exactly?

So you admit the guy was hamstrung by the cap on one hand and then kill him for targeting value FAs on the other? 

If he doesn't its not Idzik's fault. 

the guy hasn't been healthy since 2006 

So the Jets were obsessed with value and cheapness because their previous GM overspent on crap and that is Idzik's fault how, exactly?

So you admit the guy was hamstrung by the cap on one hand and then kill him for targeting value FAs on the other? 

No what I am saying is there are 2 questions to answer here. Revis is the better player, Richardson is the better value. The value is important to the Jets. It's not important to the Bucs. The bucs had to prove to their fans they were serious and they needed to spend to get to the floor. It's an entirely different situation. I like Richardson he's really good but no one would take this player over Revis, if the money was the same. Richardson is better value. Revis is a better player. That's the point Im trying to make. 

No what I am saying is there are 2 questions to answer here. Revis is the better player, Richardson is the better value. The value is important to the Jets. It's not important to the Bucs. The bucs had to prove to their fans they were serious and they needed to spend to get to the floor. It's an entirely different situation. I like Richardson he's really good but no one would take this player over Revis, if the money was the same. Richardson is better value. Revis is a better player. That's the point Im trying to make. 

He played 15 games for the Bucs in '11 and caught 75 passes, so.....

The value is important to everyone. The real question here is: are the Bucs a SB contender right now? If not, the Revis move was stupid from a longterm perspective. 

Remember Nnamdi Asomugha  this ends the same way..............greed gets in the way of playing the damn game!

No one is asking who the better player is. The value is the key but let's be real, if I were to poll 32 GMs and ask them who they would rather have - the best corner in the NFL but he's 28 and coming off an ACL or a 22-year-old stud DT with a motor who plays like he wants to kill someone. I would bet you'd be surprised by the number of GMs who would take the 22-year-old DT. 

Getting the 15th pick in the draft in the first place in exchange for Revis was a really good move. Everyone and their mother knew the Jets weren't paying Revis -who was still rehabbing his knee- and he got the first round pick out of Tampa with no one else even bidding. That was really good.

Archived