Geno accomplished something that hasn't been done in the post-merger era of the NFL

Jetsfan80

Sanchez wouldn't have won this game.  Not a chance.  Geno did, and he was the 2nd biggest reason we won (our front 7 being the top reason).  That's my takeaway from this game.

We were helped out a lot by the Bucs not being ready to play(drive continuing penalites, dumb penalties etc) Geno had his moments, definitely...but he's got a lot of work. We have to be able to line him up under center and run the ball. 

Sanchez wouldn't have won this game.  Not a chance.  Geno did, and he was the 2nd biggest reason we won (our front 7 being the top reason).  That's my takeaway from this game.

If Geno doesn't turn the ball over with the strip sack, Rex's D could have held the Bucs to less than 10 points. Just sayin... 

I thought Geno's game was a mixed bag.  He got better as the game went on, though, which is very encouraging.  I think he was working with Marty, seeing what plays worked and mixing it up as well as we have seen from an OC is a long, long time.  It helped Geno build confidence in his effectiveness. 

But he did turn the ball over twice, so I can't get too excited.  Not yet.

Brady turned the ball over twice yesterday too.  In fact, multiple veteran QB's had 2 or more turn overs yesterday.  The best part was, as you say, he got more comfortable as the game went on.

Yeah, like I said the way he got better as the game went on was great.  Rather than focus on the turnovers, he was working with Marty to make plays happen that were effective.  TB looked a bit on their heels because of the threat he might run (not that he's all that fast, but...).  The playcalling exploited that, I think.

I know it's early, but I think we finally have an above average OC.

The game plan for Geno was fantastic.  That said, there were a couple of play calls that I'd like to see us bag, mainly, they wildcat.  

I know that luck evens out, and the Jets have had their share of the bad kind.  But I could not believe how lucky they were yesterday. 

Didn't stop me from being thrilled with the end result, and even the Jets weren't as lucky as the Niners. Heh.

One could say, the Bucs got lucky yesterday.  Lucky that Geno fumbled where he did, lucky to be facing a rookie Qb, lucky to be drawing the league's worst team week 1, lucky that Landry missed a tackle, lucky that a great punt went into the endzone, and so on and so on.  

The Jets go a break.  Just like every other team in the NFL at some point in the game yesterday. 

One could say, the Bucs got lucky yesterday.  Lucky that Geno fumbled where he did, lucky to be facing a rookie Qb, lucky to be drawing the league's worst team week 1, lucky that Landry missed a tackle, lucky that a great punt went into the endzone, and so on and so on.  

The Jets go a break.  Just like every other team in the NFL at some point in the game yesterday. 

Luck is a residue of design.  Sure, the Bucs may have outplayed us most of the game, but we know in the NFL that most games end up coming down to 1-2 plays.  There's no shame in winning a game on a break. 

Not to mention, one could argue that Geno leading us on that go-ahead FG drive where he went 5/7 throwing, subsequently giving us a 15-14 lead, really did set us up for victory.  He then did it AGAIN with a 25-yard throw to Winslow and that run to the sidelines that set up the game-WINNING FG. 

He was great when it counted.  But with everyone up in arms about Rex's "mismanagement" at the end its easy to forget.

Luck is a residue of design.  Sure, the Bucs may have outplayed us most of the game, but we know in the NFL that most games end up coming down to 1-2 plays.  There's no shame in winning a game on a break. 

Not to mention, one could argue that Geno leading us on that go-ahead FG drive where he went 5/7 to take a 15-14 lead set us up for victory.  He then did it AGAIN with a 25-yard throw to Winslow and that run to the sidelines that set up the game-WINNING FG. 

He was great when it counted.  But with everyone up in arms about Rex's "mismanagement" at the end its easy to forget.

I dont think the Bucs out played them at all.  Look at the box scores.  The Jets beat them in every statistical category.  They got some lucky breaks and thats the only reason they were in the game.  Reminded me of the Gators game.  They whipped the sh*t out of the Canes but the Canes got the lucky breaks and turnovers.  Thats the game.

I dont think the Bucs out played them at all.  Look at the box scores.  The Jets beat them in every statistical category.  They got some lucky breaks and thats the only reason they were in the game.  Reminded me of the Gators game.  They whipped the sh*t out of the Canes but the Canes got the lucky breaks and turnovers.  Thats the game.

I watched a good bit of that game.  It was bizarre.  For both the NFL AND College ball that stuff seems to happen early in a season.  Teams who have no business winning coming out on top.

Vincent Jackson outplayed our secondary. About it imo....

Yep.  That's all I can think of as well.  McCoy was pretty much having his way with Mangold but it didnt hurt us the way VJax did.

And everyone was telling me to sit him.  Luckily, I never listen to experts in FF.

You shouldnt...there's too many of them anyways.

Geno is the 1st Rookie QB drafted in 2nd round or later to pass for at least 250 yeards and win on kickoff weekend since the AFL-NFL merger.  Discuss.

And you forgot to add he did it in spite of Rex Ryan. Very Impressive . Maybe Rex should have given him number 16 so all he had to do was add a 1 to his dumb tattoo.

And you forgot to add he did it in spite of Rex Ryan. Very Impressive . Maybe Rex should have given him number 16 so all he had to do was add a 1 to his dumb tattoo.

Yea, I totally bet every other quarterback in the league is praising jeebus that they didn't have a head coach who orchestrated a defense that held a team, who was top 10 in yards and points last year, to 250 total yards and 17 points, 7 of which were gifted by our offense.  He really put this team in a bad position with that horrendous performance.

Yea, I totally bet every other quarterback in the league is praising jeebus that they didn't have a head coach who orchestrated a defense that held a team, who was top 10 in yards and points last year, to 250 total yards and 17 points, 7 of which were gifted by our offense.  He really put this team in a bad position with that horrendous performance.

So if you coach a great game but completely blow it at the end that's just great right ? Once again I never question Rex's defensive coaching ability just his HEAD COACHING ability which still seems to be lacking. if we don't get that dumb ass penalty on Geno running out of bounds we lose that game because 20-30 seconds were lost due to our HC having his head up his ass at a critical stage of the game. Hes done it before stating, "well I thought my defense would hold so I didn't think I needed to call a time out" Remember that wonderful game ?

I hate to be negative after a win but the only negative thing I pointed out was Rex's handling of the clock the last 1:30

So if you coach a great game but completely blow it at the end that's just great right ? Once again I never question Rex's defensive coaching ability just his HEAD COACHING ability which still seems to be lacking. if we don't get that dumb ass penalty on Geno running out of bounds we lose that game because 20-30 seconds were lost due to our HC having his head up his ass at a critical stage of the game. Hes done it before stating, "well I thought my defense would hold so I didn't think I needed to call a time out" Remember that wonderful game ?

I hate to be negative after a win but the only negative thing I pointed out was Rex's handling of the clock the last 1:30

If you watch his presser he alluded to something going wrong on calling that timeout, to the point of not wanting to throw someone under the bus. I don't know what happened, but I 100% agree that it was mishandled.  However,  I also look at the totality of the game and not the last minute: if our defense allowed 25 points, we're not even in the discussion.  Then again, I also see long time, immensely successful coaches like Mike Shanahan make mistakes like that as well, so it's not just our incompetent head-coach doing it.

I dont know if it was posted, but ESPN power rankings had an interesting Jet stat. Although 1 game, Geno's off target throwing percentage was 11%. Sanchez last year was 22%, 4th worst in the NFL.

That was a major reason for his poor play. Forget about supporting cast. If he was accurate and actually gave his crappy receivers a chance to catch the ball his numbers would've been much better. Sanchez's inaccuracy always puzzled me. He looks like he has good form and throws a tight spiral but then the pass is 5 ft off target.

I dont know if it was posted, but ESPN power rankings had an interesting Jet stat. Although 1 game, Geno's off target throwing percentage was 11%. Sanchez last year was 22%, 4th worst in the NFL.

That was a major reason for his poor play. Forget about supporting cast. If he was accurate and actually gave his crappy receivers a chance to catch the ball his numbers would've been much better. Sanchez's inaccuracy always puzzled me. He looks like he has good form and throws a tight spiral but then the pass is 5 ft off target.

theres a lot puzzling about Sanchez and it must be the pressure or what his perception of pressure is. I mean in college he threw at a 65% rate and yeah I know it's college but ya still have to put the ball where the WR can catch it. In one game we already saw Geno Making strides something that was sporadic at best with Sanchez ...lets hope Geno can continue to improve

Not to mention, one could argue that Geno leading us on that go-ahead FG drive where he went 5/7 throwing, subsequently giving us a 15-14 lead, really did set us up for victory.  He then did it AGAIN with a 25-yard throw to Winslow and that run to the sidelines that set up the game-WINNING FG. 

The fact that the Jets who supposedly sucked had a 1 point lead going into that whole debacle at the end means they aren't as bad as everyone said they would be. Not just Geno, the whole Jets team. Meanwhile the Pats had to comeback to beat the Bills... no one says the Pats are lucky when they win close... but it happens often

Geno accomplished something that hasn't been done by a Jets qb for a long, long time - and that is show some mobility.  Namath (not his fault), OBrien (his fault), Todd (can't believe was a wishbone qb in college) were fossilized statues. Vinny was a lumbering load, and  Sanchez stopped moving since his rookie year. What fun to see a lithe and athletic  qb with a  Jets uniform.

Ray Lucas (yeah, I said it).

someone started a different thread about it, but considering that Geno took a ton of snaps out of shotgun (almost all of em), maybe the wildcat is a substitute for the normal 'under center' running plays. Maybe the real running attack won't happen until Geno is good at taking center snaps. Just a theory... 

I could buy that. 

Running games generally get better as the season goes on before plateauing in November/December...I mean, I just made that up but it seems like it might be true. 

Archived