Jets Practice Report: No Kerley

flgreen

Jets practice report: No Jeremy Kerley

September, 9, 2013

Sep 9

4:43

PM ET

By  Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Jets wide receiver Jeremy Kerley was not at practice on Monday, one day after having to leave Sunday's win over the Buccaneers with an apparent head injury.

Kerley headed to the locker room after being hit in the head by Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson, who also put a big hit on tight end Jeff Cumberland (chin). Kerley returned to Sunday's game and finished with three catches for 45 yards. He played 39 snaps.

Cumberland, as well as center Nick Mangold (elbow), both were at practice after leaving Sunday's game. Mangold had a long sleeve on his right arm. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who played 44 snaps in his first game since Sept. 30, 2012, was on the practice field as well.

It was a light practice for the Jets -- players were in shorts and baseball caps without pads.

As expected, linebacker Quinton Coples (ankle) and quarterback Mark Sanchez (shoulder) both didn't practice, but were present.

Sanchez is out for this week's game against the Patriots, and will be heading to see Dr. James Andrews to have his injured throwing shoulder examined. Coples has a fractured ankle.

Jets practice report: No Jeremy Kerley

September, 9, 2013

Sep 9

4:43

PM ET

By  Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Jets wide receiver Jeremy Kerley was not at practice on Monday, one day after having to leave Sunday's win over the Buccaneers with an apparent head injury.

Kerley headed to the locker room after being hit in the head by Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson, who also put a big hit on tight end Jeff Cumberland (chin). Kerley returned to Sunday's game and finished with three catches for 45 yards. He played 39 snaps.

Cumberland, as well as center Nick Mangold (elbow), both were at practice after leaving Sunday's game. Mangold had a long sleeve on his right arm. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who played 44 snaps in his first game since Sept. 30, 2012, was on the practice field as well.

It was a light practice for the Jets -- players were in shorts and baseball caps without pads.

As expected, linebacker Quinton Coples (ankle) and quarterback Mark Sanchez (shoulder) both didn't practice, but were present.

Sanchez is out for this week's game against the Patriots, and will be heading to see Dr. James Andrews to have his injured throwing shoulder examined. Coples has a fractured ankle.

when will coples be back??

when will coples be back??

Every thing around the Jets right now is shrouded in  secrecy.  It makes the Mangini regime look like an open book.   

it would be something if Rex got fired that Idzik hired Mangini again.  The scribes would love that

I bet they aren't happy that he went back out with a head injury.  Everybody might get their wish.  Good chance they sign Braylon or Massoquoi now that their contracts won't be guaranteed.  Brady Quinn too.  Oh joy!

Who's they?'

I thought the Jets were one of those teams who had special head doctors on the sidelines or something like that?  Either way, with the concussion protocol, would they have sent him back out there if there was a concussion risk?  Clearly that hit and the way he was acting after the hit would have resulted in ones of those tests.  Wonder if its something else?

I hope he's fine.  Love that kid.  Glad to hear Cumberland is practicing.  We need both players. 

I bet they aren't happy that he went back out with a head injury.  Everybody might get their wish.  Good chance they sign Braylon or Massoquoi now that their contracts won't be guaranteed.  Brady Quinn too.  Oh joy!

Yea, I'm not really well-versed on the protocol or the intricacies of concussions, but it's not easy for the lay-public to swallow the news of a player passing the tests on the field and then failing them the next morning.  Regardless of how things can manifest differently so many hours after, it's not the type of thing the NFL wants to be seeing in print or whatever online text is called.

Not good news with the really short week. Clyde Gates was also limping late in the game. Maybe they should sign Braylon hes a Patriots killer!!!!!!!

I'm not sure, but it looked like Gates was suffering from some cramps, just like a lot of those guys were. I believe he was back out there for a number of snaps.

Yea, I'm not really well-versed on the protocol or the intricacies of concussions, but it's not easy for the lay-public to swallow the news of a player passing the tests on the field and then failing them the next morning. Regardless of how things can manifest differently so many hours after, it's not the type of thing the NFL wants to be seeing in print or whatever online text is called.

Did you just call me "the lay public"?

Who's they?'

I thought the Jets were one of those teams who had special head doctors on the sidelines or something like that?  Either way, with the concussion protocol, would they have sent him back out there if there was a concussion risk?  Clearly that hit and the way he was acting after the hit would have resulted in ones of those tests.  Wonder if its something else?

I hope he's fine.  Love that kid.  Glad to hear Cumberland is practicing.  We need both players. 

I think the deal with concussions and I fully admit not knowing that much about them, but I believe they manifest differently the next morning compared to instantly after, thus you can see a player pass the test on the field and in the locker-room, but then fail the next morning.  I'm almost positive you're right in that the Jets have outside neurologists working on these guys and there's no way they are willing to risk losing their license just to get a player on the field again. Either way that sucks, he's a big weaponz to lose.

Every thing around the Jets right now is shrouded in  secrecy.  It makes the Mangini regime look like an open book.   

it would be something if Rex got fired that Idzik hired Mangini again.  The scribes would love that

yeah when it first happen   heard he was going to play week one now is he going to plat week 2???  dont sound like it

Jets receiver Jeremy Kerley listed on injury report with concussion

Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 9, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT

Jeremy Kerley, Mike HarrisAP

Jets wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, who sat out practice on Monday, is listed on the club’s injury report as having a concussion.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, Kerley passed concussion tests during and after Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers but did not pass a test on Monday morning.

Kerley sustained a big hit late in the second quarter in the Jets’ 18-17 win vs. Tampa Bay, as he was sandwiched between multiple Tampa Bay defenders after an eight-yard catch. Kerley’s helmet came off after the collision. Kerley would go on to play in the second half, but he had just one fourth-quarter rush.

The Jets’ next game is in just three days at New England. The Jets have five receivers on the roster: Kerley, Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and Ryan Spadola.

Other Jets players missing practice on Monday were outside linebacker Quinton Coples (ankle), quarterback Mark Sanchez (shoulder) and tight end Kellen Winslow (knee).

The Jets’ limited practice participants were Holmes (foot), center Nick Mangold (elbow), cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip), defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson (shoulder), tight end Jeff Cumberland (chin), nose tackle Kenrick Ellis (back) and Gates (knee).

Jeremy Kerley misses NY Jets' practice with concussion Kerley was hit hard by Bucs' Mark Barron in the second quarter but later re-entered the game. He pass postgame concussion tests but showed symptoms on Monday. By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 1:00 AM

jin10s-1-web.jpg Sabo, Robert/New York Daily News  

Jeremy Kerley's helmet pops off after taking a big hit.

inform.jpg

Jeremy Kerley, who was hit hard by Mark Barron in the head during the second quarter of Sunday’s game and later re-entered it, missed Monday’s practice with a concussion. Kerley’s helmet flew off during the play. A team spokesman said Kerley had been evaluated during the game and had passed a concussion test. Additionally, he passed a postgame test, the spokesman said.

However, Kerley exhibited concussion symptoms on Monday. With the injury occurring so close to the team’s next game, it becomes highly unlikely Kerley will be available Thursday against the Patriots.

GIVING WOODY PASS

When Woody Johnson addressed the play that caused Mark Sanchez’s shoulder injury last week, he said, “I wish he hadn’t gotten hurt, but you got to protect yourself, too.”

Sanchez on Monday called Johnson’s comment a “non-issue.”

“Listen, I wasn’t there for the interview. I’ve talked to Woody plenty since then. It’s really a non-issue,” Sanchez said

TIME MISMANAGEMENT

Lost in Sunday’s improbable fourth-quarter win was that Rex Ryan let a valuable eight or nine seconds tick off the clock after a Doug Martin third-down run before he called his final timeout of the game. Had Lavonte David not drawn a costly 15-yard penalty, those seconds would have been critical, as they would have allowed the Jets to run another play or two to try and get closer to field goal range.

Though the Jets were on defense, it appeared that offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg actually called the timeout as he was sprinting down the sideline toward the referee as seconds were coming off the clock.

Ryan was cagey on the matter when he was asked about it Monday, failing to specify where the blame fell.

“No, well I’ll tell you what happened,” Ryan said. “Well, I’m not going to get into the exact things, I just have to do a better job of communicating, and that’s what happened.”

Asked if the players were aware of the situation, Ryan said, “No, no, everybody was very aware of it, it just didn’t get executed the way it needs to.”

PAT IS DOWN

Patriots running back Shane Vereen reportedly broke a small bone in his wrist and will be out for several weeks.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-kerley-big-headache-article-1.1450595#ixzz2eUm5CqdU

They have to sign a receiver for this week... don't they?

Not necessarily.  As others mentioned, they have Spadola waiting in the wings ready to go along with giving more playing time to Gates.  If they're worried about having a 5th WR active for the game, also keep in mind they have two WRs on the practice squad who could potentially get moved up.  Consider that, with a Thursday game, there's no way you could count on a new player having enough time to learn even a fraction of the playbook to be ready to go into the game.

So I would say the only other possible options would be one of the vets who were in camp with the Jets, of which I think Obomanu would actually be the more likely move from the Jets than Braylon.  He actually had more time to work with Geno than Braylon did (if Sanchez were starting it would be a different story) and also could fill in for Kerley on special teams if needed.

Archived