Steelers vs Bengals

Blackout

I agree with the first statement, but Big Ben has burned us too many times to ever let me feel confident against them. Cinci, I dunno, I'm just not buying them like everyone else is, Andy Dalton is too erratic for my liking, this team always seems to have mental errors, be it the receivers or what have you.

I'd rather play the Bengals than the Steelers. The Jets have to turn every game into a mosh pit to win. The Steelers will happily get down in the mud with you, but the Bengals are soft on offense, and Dalton will eventually crack. Ben don't give a f*ck.

I'd rather play the Bengals than the Steelers. The Jets have to turn every game into a mosh pit to win. The Steelers will happily get down in the mud with you, but the Bengals are soft on offense, and Dalton will eventually crack. Ben don't give a f*ck.

nuts imo....

gotta stop treating the Pats and Steelers like they're the Pats and Steelers. Todd Haley is a joke. Lebeau is 90 years old and the defense has been overrated for a while now. They have zero good players on offense. Our dline will tee off on the Steelers oline...Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson will eat them alive.

Losing to the Steelers would be just like losing to the Pats on Thursday. We lose if we turn the ball over. We win if we dont. The Steelers offense is a disaster. Brady and Ben arent turning sh*tty players into good ones.

Dalton is streaky, but they have multiple ways to burn you...Bernard looks legit, Eifert can play,Green is a superstar and their defense is really good. 

Bernard and Law Firm are very between the tackle type runners, what scares me more is Gresham and Eiffert as I think Cro and co. can handle Green if schemed properly.  I liken AJ Green a lot to Andre Johnson and Cro has always, especially last year, played johnson well; because of his long strides, it's the shifter guys like Edelman, Brown and others that he struggles with. 

Both are winnable games, but not something I'd be surprised with us losing either.

nuts imo....

gotta stop treating the Pats and Steelers like they're the Pats and Steelers. Todd Haley is a joke. Lebeau is 90 years old and the defense has been overrated for a while now. They have zero good players on offense. Our dline will tee off on the Steelers oline...Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson will eat them alive.

IMO, there are two ways to beat up Rex's defense--one is to get down in the dirt with them and be one of the few teams that can out-physical them, and the other is to have a lot of speed at TE and RB to exploit the slow LBs and S's. The Bengals don't really have either thing going for them, but the Steelers won't mind grinding for sixty minutes. And as great as Wilkerson is, he's still got to prove that he's a legit pass-rusher, as well as Coples and Richardson. I don't know if I'd put any of them in the Jared Allen category just yet.

Agreed.  Brown and Sanders are the types of receivers that we never have and still can't match up well against. While Green will be the best player on the field when we play, that's exactly the type of receiver Cro matches up well against.  If you take away Dalton's favorite weapon, he struggles to get everyone else involved, but Big Ben will get mollywhopped and still stand up and make plays.  I'm not chalking up either to wins, but I'd feel more comfortable playing cinci than pitt.

Bernard and Law Firm are very between the tackle type runners, what scares me more is Gresham and Eiffert as I think Cro and co. can handle Green if schemed properly. I liken AJ Green a lot to Andre Johnson and Cro has always, especially last year, played johnson well; because of his long strides, it's the shifter guys like Edelman, Brown and others that he struggles with.

Both are winnable games, but not something I'd be surprised with us losing either.

Cro really struggles with physical guys like VJax and Brandon Marshall. He doesn't want to hand-check anybody. Fortunately, he can run with Green all day.

IMO, there are two ways to beat up Rex's defense--one is to get down in the dirt with them and be one of the few teams that can out-physical them, and the other is to have a lot of speed at TE and RB to exploit the slow LBs and S's. The Bengals don't really have either thing going for them, but the Steelers won't mind grinding for sixty minutes. And as great as Wilkerson is, he's still got to prove that he's a legit pass-rusher, as well as Coples and Richardson. I don't know if I'd put any of them in the Jared Allen category just yet.

Gresham and your mancrush Eiffert are solid weapons to expose the middle of our field, but against guys like lebeau and Rex, Dalton just seems to have a mindf*ck and cannot do much.

Did you see Gio's TD out of the backfield? It looked like Pittsburgh was running after him backwards.

Cro really struggles with physical guys like VJax and Brandon Marshall. He doesn't want to hand-check anybody. Fortunately, he can run with Green all day.

True.  In all fairness, outside of Revis and Sherman, I haven't seen too many guys able to guard a Mike Wallace one week and then body up a Brandon Marshal the next.  

I haven't seen anything out of either offensive lines or running backs that lead me to believe we can't shut their run-game down like we didn't tampa bay's or new england's.  That is assuming wilkerson, richardson and harrison are healthy; I only see that group getting better over the course of the year.

Did you see Gio's TD out of the backfield? It looked like Pittsburgh was running after him backwards.

He looked very good on that drive, he's clearly more explosive than law firm and is obviously the future. However, until he improves his pass-pro, he's not gonna be getting more than ten snaps.

For what it's worth: since 2009, not team that has gone 0-2 has made the playoffs.

I don't know if that's still true regarding the TEs.  We'll find out when we play a team that has one.  But Pace is not on the field at all times, plus Scott & Thomas are gone.  I'm curious to see if Davis can somewhat cover a decent TE, though some of today's breed of TE are hard for any LB to man up against.  I don't expect him to limit Jimmy Graham to 18 yards on 3 catches, let's put it that way.

Sans Revis I'm more concerned with the quicker jackrabbit type of slot receivers who just find a way to get open underneath (like Edelman just did to us, albeit like 5 yards at a time).  I think Jeremy Kerley would give this team fits.  Theoretically it should be a strength with Cro + a pair of first round CBs.

I don't know if that's still true regarding the TEs. We'll find out when we play a team that has one. But Pace is not on the field at all times, plus Scott & Thomas are gone. I'm curious to see if Davis can somewhat cover a decent TE, though some of today's breed of TE are hard for any LB to man up against. I don't expect him to limit Jimmy Graham to 18 yards on 3 catches, let's put it that way.

Sans Revis I'm more concerned with the quicker jackrabbit type of slot receivers who just find a way to get open underneath (like Edelman just did to us, albeit like 5 yards at a time). I think Jeremy Kerley would give this team fits. Theoretically it should be a strength with Cro + a pair of first round CBs.

I know Davis is quick, and Harris looks slimmed down, but Antonio Allen and Dawan Landry were getting torched by Ryan Spadola and Jeff Cumberland in camp. It'll be interesting to see what the between-the-hashes defense looks like when we play the teams that can threaten that area. I'm just going off of recent history, of course. We might find out a lot on Sunday with Spiller and Fred Jackson.

and, not to re-hash the Cotchery debate, but it sounds like there were three issues:

1. He wanted to get paid for past performance.

2. He didn't like the direction the team was going in (moving from the Martin-Pennington-Chrebet type player to the Holmes-Burress type player).

3. It sounds like he felt Tannenbaum was engaging in some chicanery with his injury status.

Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery expects to be released

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

on August 04, 2011 at 1:08 PM, updated August 04, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Jerricho Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career for the Jets, expects to be released. Former Ravens receiver Derrick Mason is scheduled to visit the facility today and, if Mason passes a physical and the Jets decide to sign him, Cotchery expects his tenure with the team to be over.

Cotchery spoke of his release this morning as a foregone conclusion. But the 29-year-old receiver also admitted that he has thought, now and at points in the past, that a change of scenery might be a good thing.

"No question, yeah," Cotchery told The Star-Ledger. "I don’t want to get into specific details, but I have. I have. I have, to be honest. I don’t know how to say it."

Cotchery has been a reliable player for the Jets and a classy locker room presence, learning from predecessors like Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington. He struggled for words as he discussed the topic, reluctant to share too many details at the expense of others.

Asked if he felt his loyalty to the organization has not been rewarded through the years, he hesitated before responding.

"For me, I don’t know. I don’t know how to feel, to be honest," Cotchery said. "Like I said, I put in a lot of work for the Jets. Became a starter in '06, started off with special teams with Mike Westhoff in '04, and just tried to handle my business the right way. The guys I spoke to coming in as a rookie, I just felt like they handled their business the right way. Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington, Wayne Chrebet. So that's how I was going to handle my business. I tried to do that for the most part, but everything doesn’t work out the way you want it to work out. However God wants it to work out is best for me. So that’s where I find my peace."

Cotchery said he did share his feelings, on how he fit into the organization, with a few people. He declined to name who, specifically.

"I don’t want to say which coaches, but I have shared it," Cotchery said. "A lot of people didn’t see it that way."

Earlier, he told reporters "there's no worse news for me" than his impending release.

Cotchery was due $1.8 million in base salary this year, with a higher cap hit. Mason could be signed at the veterans' minimum and, if this provision is included in the new collective bargaining agreement as it was in the old, could carry a cap number much smaller than his salary.

Cotchery was a starter for four seasons, 2006 through 2009, and started five games in 2010. After Santonio Holmes came back from his four-game suspension, Holmes and Braylon Edwards were the starters.

Asked if some of his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers that they put ahead of him on the depth chart — like Edwards, Holmes and now Plaxico Burress — Cotchery paused again.

"For me, I don’t know how to look at it," he said. "When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal, a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury. But at the end of the day, for the most part, I played well. I look at it now: I got the surgery out of the way, I’m healthy, I just turned 29 years old, I'm ready to play football. so that’s what it's all about now."

Cotchery said those other things he dealt with last year were off the field.

He rehabbed his way back from offseason back surgery, after suffering from a herniated disk, and physically feels in a better place than he has for two years. But Cotchery was placed on the physically unable to perform list, and he understands that teams would be reluctant to trade for him, first reported as a possibility by NFL Network on Monday.

"A lot of teams don’t know my situation," Cotchery said. "I don’t know how that got out anyway, but a lot of teams don’t know my situation, so they don’t know if I'm healthy or not. So how can they trade for someone that they really don’t know if I'm healthy or not? But I am. When I’m released, teams will be able to see that I am."

And Cotchery will take the unfamiliar step of resuming his NFL career in another city and uniform, for the first time in his career.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Cotchery is the best player in Jets history (besides Curtis)   

it's a shame we lost him and now he's pretty much the only good receiver on that garbage Steelers team now.  and Big Ben is HORRIBLE lately.  Dunno why Pittsburgh lets all their elite WR's go.

He was the best all around RB in the last draft for since because he can play in the passing game. He catches passes and is probably more aware of blocking than most rookie RBs.

I know Davis is quick, and Harris looks slimmed down, but Antonio Allen and Dawan Landry were getting torched by Ryan Spadola and Jeff Cumberland in camp. It'll be interesting to see what the between-the-hashes defense looks like when we play the teams that can threaten that area. I'm just going off of recent history, of course. We might find out a lot on Sunday with Spiller and Fred Jackson.

All I said is we'll see.  When Q is back (and Pace takes a seat more) then there will be exactly 1 player out of 6 returning from our previous starting linebackers and safeties.  Dawan's brother could lay the lumber but he was not exactly Revis II in pass coverage.  Bell was merely ok.  Clearly his presence didn't stop TEs from doing anything & my memory of him is more in helping deep on WRs not TEs (but the TV only shows us what the TV shows us).

I'm less worried about Spiller & Jackson than I would have been in the prior 2 years.  We're much nastier up front and that should free up LBers.  Not to mention as solid as some of the prior starters were (Pouha, DeVito) they really didn't do anything if the play kicked outside.  Especially DeVito.  Solid run-stopper but if a quicker guy like Spiller decides to kick it outside he'll run around DeVito with little effort.  It's a little tougher with the faster big-men we have now.  

Which brings up something else: remember how much our run defense was going to suck after getting rid of the two I just mentioned? People wishing we retained DeVito? He was solid, and I'm happy for him that he got paid, but going forward he wasn't worth the $4M+/year that KC gave him. Not to this team. Particularly in light of the wealth of defensive linemen we've added the past few years.  Wilkerson, Ellis, Q, Snacks, Richardson.  Freaking monsters.  Kenrick Ellis isn't elite but he isn't horrible; my point being that when he's your 5th-best defensive lineman you have enough depth to pass up on having DeVito & Pouha eating up $7M/year on the cap (if we even had the roster space for both of them).  

I think we have a good chance of shutting down their ground attack.  Jackson is good (and was VERY good), and Spiller is freaking awesome.  Shut down these 2, after what we did to Martin & Ridley, and I'm not going to fear anyone's RBs this season.  Not to mean no one will have success, but there won't be the "oh my what in heavens are we to do?" concerns.  Our boys up front are flat-out nasty.

All I said is we'll see. When Q is back (and Pace takes a seat more) then there will be exactly 1 player out of 6 returning from our previous starting linebackers and safeties. Dawan's brother could lay the lumber but he was not exactly Revis II in pass coverage. Bell was merely ok. Clearly his presence didn't stop TEs from doing anything & my memory of him is more in helping deep on WRs not TEs (but the TV only shows us what the TV shows us).

I'm less worried about Spiller & Jackson than I would have been in the prior 2 years. We're much nastier up front and that should free up LBers. Not to mention as solid as some of the prior starters were (Pouha, DeVito) they really didn't do anything if the play kicked outside. Especially DeVito. Solid run-stopper but if a quicker guy like Spiller decides to kick it outside he'll run around DeVito with little effort. It's a little tougher with the faster big-men we have now.

Which brings up something else: remember how much our run defense was going to suck after getting rid of the two I just mentioned? People wishing we retained DeVito? He was solid, and I'm happy for him that he got paid, but going forward he wasn't worth the $4M+/year that KC gave him. Not to this team. Particularly in light of the wealth of defensive linemen we've added the past few years. Wilkerson, Ellis, Q, Snacks, Richardson. Freaking monsters. Kenrick Ellis isn't elite but he isn't horrible; my point being that when he's your 5th-best defensive lineman you have enough depth to pass up on having DeVito & Pouha eating up $7M/year on the cap (if we even had the roster space for both of them).

I think we have a good chance of shutting down their ground attack. Jackson is good (and was VERY good), and Spiller is freaking awesome. Shut down these 2, after what we did to Martin & Ridley, and I'm not going to fear anyone's RBs this season. Not to mean no one will have success, but there won't be the "oh my what in heavens are we to do?" concerns. Our boys up front are flat-out nasty.

I didn't mean to come off as contentious. I thought you made an interesting point and I wanted to explore it a bit. I need to work on my forward presentation.

I think Spiller and Jackson in the passing game is a good test for the LBs and S's, because they're both quick and good receivers. I think you're exactly right about the front four being nasty and that they'll lock down most run games. Snacks Harrison is a real find. I'm not as high on Kenrick Ellis, though. He's a little weak at the point of attack, IMO.

I'm really interested in seeing Coples play at OLB, too. It's either going to be really effective, or he'll be rolling the oaks.

All I said is we'll see.  When Q is back (and Pace takes a seat more) then there will be exactly 1 player out of 6 returning from our previous starting linebackers and safeties.  Dawan's brother could lay the lumber but he was not exactly Revis II in pass coverage.  Bell was merely ok.  Clearly his presence didn't stop TEs from doing anything & my memory of him is more in helping deep on WRs not TEs (but the TV only shows us what the TV shows us).

I'm less worried about Spiller & Jackson than I would have been in the prior 2 years.  We're much nastier up front and that should free up LBers.  Not to mention as solid as some of the prior starters were (Pouha, DeVito) they really didn't do anything if the play kicked outside.  Especially DeVito.  Solid run-stopper but if a quicker guy like Spiller decides to kick it outside he'll run around DeVito with little effort.  It's a little tougher with the faster big-men we have now.  

Which brings up something else: remember how much our run defense was going to suck after getting rid of the two I just mentioned? People wishing we retained DeVito? He was solid, and I'm happy for him that he got paid, but going forward he wasn't worth the $4M+/year that KC gave him. Not to this team. Particularly in light of the wealth of defensive linemen we've added the past few years.  Wilkerson, Ellis, Q, Snacks, Richardson.  Freaking monsters.  Kenrick Ellis isn't elite but he isn't horrible; my point being that when he's your 5th-best defensive lineman you have enough depth to pass up on having DeVito & Pouha eating up $7M/year on the cap (if we even had the roster space for both of them).  

I think we have a good chance of shutting down their ground attack.  Jackson is good (and was VERY good), and Spiller is freaking awesome.  Shut down these 2, after what we did to Martin & Ridley, and I'm not going to fear anyone's RBs this season.  Not to mean no one will have success, but there won't be the "oh my what in heavens are we to do?" concerns.  Our boys up front are flat-out nasty.

Why is it that Buffalo ALWAYS has very good running backs?  I honestly can't remember a time when they didn't.

Archived