Ok say at the end of the year Geno Smith is the real deal, Ryan, and MM are both coming back

Lupz27

The Jets go 6-10 to 8-8, but the good kind of 6-10 to 8-8, where the D kept improving only showing some kinks in the Safety position, but the DL proves to be the beastly animal we all think it can be.  G Smith starts to get it in the 2nd half of the season, the mechanics get cleaned up, the poise, confidence, and leadership qualities are all evident, and most importantly the accuarcy starts to become pin point leading WR's (when they actually gain some seperation, and get open), Jets lose a few heart breakers down the stretch, but it is very evident that the team as constructed both coaching staff wise, QB, and front 7 wise is where it needs to be for this team to be contenders in 2014 with a couple of key acquisitons with our 50 million or so of cap space, and 4 draft picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

Free Agency I would like to see the Jets go out, and get a REAL CF type FS, one who is a proven ball hawk, not the thumper type, but it would help if he wasn't afraid to lay the wood if needed to, but those guys deep down the field are going to get penalized more often then not for thumping so called "defensless WR's" so ball hawk is what I would really look for.  Replace C Pace, maybe he is already on the team with some of the guys who are rotating in now, but if not maybe throw some money at the RIGHT kind of pass rushing OLB, who can also not kill you on setting the edge properly against the run.

Offensive side, you throw as much money as needed to go get 1, maybe 2 veteran run mauling OG's that are going to be on the open market, turn this OL back to what it was in 2009 (if what Ducasse did to Wilfork becomes the norm then maybe just 1 OG is needed, and then maybe throw some big $$$ at M Oher to replace our RT, and maybe with the idea of him replacing DBrick in the not to decent future if he continues to down trend).

I am gonna say Santonio Holmes will not be returning, but Kerley, and S Hill will still be here, and one can hope S Hill starts to grow into that body, and takes working at his craft a lot more serious so he can become a major force to be wreckoned with out there, he will never be a D Thomas he just isn't strong enough, but there is no reason he can't learn to go up, and get the ball at the highest point with his size, and athletic ability, and take the top off the D with his speed once he learns the proper way to run all the routes, regardless of his inconsistent play the last year, and 2 games he has showed some good flashes at the young age of 23 to give you real hope he could be a quality 1A, top #2 wideout on any team starting year 3, and beyond.  Also as good as K Winslow has been for us in this short period of time I don't see this being more than a 1 season stop, he fit the cheap veteran with upside, risk reward type player the Jets could afford.

Now on to the fun part the 2014 NFL Draft Jets holding 4 picks in the top 70-80 picks, and it's time to go full out assault on surronding the QB of the future with as many skilled positioned weapons as possible.

This might seem a little crazy, but it is time to finally go all in here, and try to become a real NFL offense, one that can put up points in bunches, and play a shoot out with any team, and have the fire power to actually win these games more often then not.

So here goes a idea of what I would love to see with the 1st 4 picks

Rd 1

Some Where in the 10-15 range

WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson, WR Marquise Lee, USC, or WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M (if he declares for the draft, can't see why he wouldn't after what he just did to Alabama, and the fact he knows Johnny Football won't be throwing the passes to him next year) which ever one is available, and highest ranked on the Jets board, obviously we all will have our prefrences, but we don't get a say if more than one of them is available when the Jets pick.

Rd 2  TE Colt Lyerla, Oregon, dude is 6-5 250, has WR speed, can jump out the building for those tough red zone plays, and balls across the middle, and has a tremendous amount of run blocking experience playing in the Oregon run heavy offense, guy is in the mold of a Jordan Cameron from Cleveland, and as skys the limit upside for a game changing TE.

Rd 3 Jets have 2 selections if Revis is on the Bucs roster next year, or plays X amount of snaps, or whatever the conditon was, but I am going to assume he will reach the condition to grant us this pick, and their pick looks like it will be pretty early in the round.

1st 3rd round pick hopefully RB/WR/KR DeAnthony Thomas, Oregon falls to the early 3rd round, if not there is another similar player who is also a Darren Sproles type RB/WR/KR in Dri Archer, Kent State, dude has 4.2 to 4.3 speed, and TBH if he just turned out to be a great KR/PR, and not much else on the field I would still be happy with this pick.

2nd 3rd round pick TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech, dude is a flat out pass catching machine, causing mismatches all over the inside of the field, no LB, or S will be able to cover him 1 on 1, and he is another 6-5 260 pounder who can flat out run, and get open, he comes from a spread offense so he could fit right in as an H-Back, or split out TE like the Pats did with Hernandez, his blocking needs work, but that just might be because Texas Tech rarely runs the ball, and at his size it is not impossible to think he could become a more than adequate blocker.

A draft like this gives the Jets a WR core of Kerley, Hill, Hopkins (Lee, or Evans, I like Hopkins personally so I am going to list him), a decent veteran, and maybe a Spadola, and a 2 headed monster at TE with Lyerla, and Amaro, this gives the Jets the ammo to run an up tempo no huddle offense like the Pats did with the dual TE sets showing power running formations 1 play that could be turned into spread 4-5 wide out looks because both Lyerla, and Amaro are very good recievers, and can be looked at as WR's not TE's when the matchups are in the Jets favor, throw in that Darren Sproles type RB to compliment the power of Ivory, and who ever else the Jets decide to bring in at RB whether they stay with Powell, Goodson, or some other reasonable priced veteran, this is a offense made over in 1 season that can compete with anyone in a shoot out IF, a big IF Geno Smith is the goods, or some one else turns out to be the goods, and I don't care who that persons name is just as long as he is the goods.

In that scenario there is no reason the Jets couldn't compete for the playoffs, and be a threat to go to the SB every year for the next 8-12 years.

Ok my green colored homer crystal ball has had enough dreaming for the day, carry on with your business if you even decided to read this short story lol.

But if you have read it let me know what you think about the possible players drafted in this scenario, and if you think it could work out the way I laid it out if by some miracle the Jets found a QB this year, and surronded him with talent like I posted above, no matter if they are the exact players, or a similar approach just with different players you might like better than the one's I listed here.

That's a lot to think about in week 2.

Watkins or Lee are musts IMO...but assuming the Jets land middle of the pack in the draft, they might not even be on the board.  Those are 2 WR's who are actually worth taking that high.

Either way, there should be a clear focus on offense next season.  Pretty much a full blown all out commitment to adding as much talent as possible.  The want for a Safety around here is a little overblown IMO.  Assuming this scenario pans out, Rex has proven he can win with anyone playing S.  Its a nice to have but not a necessity the way weaponz are for the Jets.

Yeah I mean the kid is playing lights out, and the Jets are undefeated, so this definitely makes sense

What part of the multiple IF's in the post did you miss? And the last paragraph about hopefully Geno, or anyone else whoever that is, clearly shows they are the goods at QB.

Obviously if that's not the case the plan has got to change draft wise early, getting a QB would be top priority 1st, or 2nd round changing the plan, but the free agent plan should be a good plan IMO regardless of any circumstances, coach change, whatever.

That's a lot to think about in week 2.

Watkins or Lee are musts IMO...but assuming the Jets land middle of the pack in the draft, they might not even be on the board. Those are 2 WR's who are actually worth taking that high.

Either way, there should be a clear focus on offense next season. Pretty much a full blown all out commitment to adding as much talent as possible. The want for a Safety around here is a little overblown IMO. Assuming this scenario pans out, Rex has proven he can win with anyone playing S. Its a nice to have but not a necessity the way weaponz are for the Jets.

That's why I classified the FS in the Free Agent part of the plan, veteran type who can ball hawk, save the draft picks for the weapons. As of now Lee is falling like a rock, and Watkins isn't rising much, TBH if the draft was today, and Evans declared he might be the 1st WR off the board, I think 1 of those 3 will be available when the Jets pick IF they miss the playoffs.

That's why I classified the FS in the Free Agent part of the plan, veteran type who can ball hawk, save the draft picks for the weapons. As of now Lee is falling like a rock, and Watkins isn't rising much, TBH if the draft was today, and Evans declared he might be the 1st WR off the board, I think 1 of those 3 will be available when the Jets pick IF they miss the playoffs.

Lee is falling like a rock?  Thats new to me.  The guys been the one bright spot on otherwise utter train wreck.  And Watkins has come back to form after taking a back seat to Hopkins last season.

Truth is, there is a ton of WR talent that is eligible next season, assuming they all declare.  So that said, you're probably right, there should be some talent available, no doubt.   

There's something a bit amusing about the idea of a post being so optimistic while already talking about the offseason after week 2.  That said, I think it would be great if everything shook out like that.  If Geno looks legit and this team starts coming together, I agree Rex likely isn't going anywhere.  Funny thing is that in that case, a big part of that would probably be to retain Mornhinweg (while still letting Rex do his thing on D).  In that case, I completely agree while there should be a defensive move here or there, the offseason plan needs to be offense, offense and then some more offense.

I think that at some point in there, barring this group really getting it together and complimenting each other well once Goodson is back, they'd probably bring in another every down type back to at least compete with the current crew.  Not a particularly high pick or big-dollar FA mind you, just someone reliable who can help take some pressure off of Geno.  That said, it would certainly be far below positions like WR and TE on the priority list.  I also doubt the Jets will make a heavy run at the OG position if Vlad proves to be the real deal.  Instead they'd likely just bring him back and have Winters ready to step in and replace Colon at the other spot.  RT is certainly a good possibility depending on how Howard looks this year, and probably at least some competition for him over there.

Lee is falling like a rock?  Thats new to me.  The guys been the one bright spot on otherwise utter train wreck.  And Watkins has come back to form after taking a back seat to Hopkins last season.

Truth is, there is a ton of WR talent that is eligible next season, assuming they all declare.  So that said, you're probably right, there should be some talent available, no doubt.   

He's not, but you have to love the whacko stuff that gets posted here.  

I don't believe that De'Anthony Thomas is going to drop to the third. I think he will run a ridiculous number and go pretty high. He's the kind of guy some teams won't touch early while others fall in love.

I agree it would be a reach for him to fall to early 3rd, but crazier things have happened, particularly when your not considered a 3 down back, but that's why I also listed Archer in case Thomas would be gone.

He's not, but you have to love the whacko stuff that gets posted here.

See I consider a guy who before the season started (CFB) was considered the 4th, or 5th player off the board by most scouts to not even being projected to be the 1st player at his position taken, and more like a 15th overall guy, and maybe the 3rd player taken from his position a pretty big fall. Watkins has passed him as a pro prospect, and if Evans declares he will also pass him, and now if there are no teams looking to grab a WR because they have bigger needs, yes a guy like Lee can fall pretty fast, I remember when Alshon Jeffrey was considered a top 5 pick in September before the season started, dude almost fell to the 3rd round, that's the type of sh*t that happens when you have no talent around you.

I don't know.  I could see this team finishing 6-10,  the defense looks decent, and the offense still sucks.   The Jets are 1-1, could easily be 0-2 or 2-0.  And Geno hasn't looked like some pro bowl QB. He had a so so game, he had another so so game but wound up with 3 picks.   He could improve a little and we'd still have no clue if he was the future qb.   And their WRs & RBs stink.    The OL hasn't been that impressive either.   

So what happens if the Jets wind up 6-10 to 8-8 because of their defense and Geno is still an unknown and the offense is rated near the bottom of the league in every category like they are now?    Rex stay, MM stay, both fired?   Because the truth is,  the Jets are 1-1 because of Rex's defense and they are almost 0-2 because of MM's offense.   Not sure why MM would get some pass for a team avg 14 points a game so far.

This is called extrapolating success based on too small a sample. Yes, if the Jets go 14-2 Wrecks, Geno and the whole band will be back.

But they have only played 2 games, and thus far they have averaged 14 points.

But don't let anyone stop you from jumping to conclusions based on incomplete data.

And if that 10-6 season doesn't come to pass then blame the media, which is a new trend here.

If someone would take a bet that Wrecks will be on the set of some NFL network pregame show next September trading cliches with Terry or Boomer or Coach Ditka, I would put some serious money on that proposition.

Archived