Rex Ryan's pros outweigh his cons.

Jetsfan80

To me this is a trendy candidate idea based on the performance of that team in general, but if you look at the stats from Seattle's offense, they were ranked 17th in total offense in 2012, and 28th in total offense in 2011 under Darrell Bevell, so why in the world should he even be considered at this point?

And the point should be made that Seattle's strength is its defense, not its offense. I see no reason to believe that Bevell would prove to be a better coach than Rex, he has not even proven he is proficient at an elite level on his side of the ball as Rex has proven with his side. Moreover, I think it would be bad for Geno to have two different offensive systems in his first two seasons, that is a recipe for disaster for a young QB. Let's see how the year plays out, if Geno improves and excels under Marty, there is no reason to change. The Jets are 10th in total offense right now while Seattle is 8th; this means very little so early on in this season, but thus far there is no great disparity.

You're a good poster. I hope you stick around and continue contributing to the dialogue.

1. Bevell and Mornhinweg are both from the Walsh-Holmgren-Reid coaching tree. The leap from Mornhinweg to Bevell would not be severe enough to compromise Geno's development. You could probably even keep Mornhinweg on the staff if the next hire is Bevell.

2. I'm not advocating trading Rex for Bevell. I think Rex's termination is a fait accompli. As giddy as the remaining Rex fans are about being 2-1, they're all consciously forgetting the last two seasons entirely, and they're ignoring 20 penalties and mismanagement of time-outs in the last game, as well as the clock mismanagement in the Tampa game, and the fact that both Josh Freeman and EJ Manuel took their teams down the field late in the fourth quarter to tie or take the leads against this allegedly impenetrable defense. While some fans are ignoring these things, I'm pretty sure they haven't escaped the GMs notice.

3. Nobody knows if Bevell will be better or worse than Rex the same way that nobody knew if John Harbaugh would be any good. You don't fire coaches simply because you think there's a guaranteed "better" one out there. You fire coaches because you don't think they're good enough to run your team, then you go find one that you think can run your team. Rex is basically the defensive coordinator for this team right now. That's it. Even his most ardent supporters are advocating bringing in more assistants to shield the rest of the franchise from his vast weaknesses as a leader and administrator. I don't see how that's at all preferable or sustainable.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm skeptical of this choice for a few reasons one being that Belichick protégés have historically not fared well when they leave New England; see Mangini, Crennel, McDaniels, and Weiss. O'Brien only spent 1 season as the Patriots OC in 2011, a position I don't think merits the kind of recognition as the results suggest simply because of the high talent level on the Patriots offense. If Tom Brady got hurt in 2011, we are not even discussing Bill O'Brien as a potential candidate. In my opinion, O'Brien's notoriety is largely the product of being in a position where he gets to share the credit for an offense led by Tom Brady. If O'Brien coordinated an offense at a high level with a lack of talent, then that's a different story entirely. But I get the feeling that with the 2011 Patriots offense, it didn't really matter who was the OC they were still going to be a juggernaut.

In similar fashion I would be skeptical of any head coaching candidate that was previously a defensive coordinator under Rex Ryan precisely because there's a huge question as to whether such a candidate's successes can really be attributed to that candidate and not Rex who is known to exercise a lot of control over the defense.

Now maybe Bil O'Brien will prove to be a great coach at Penn State, the jury is still out on that, but I really don't see him being an upgrade over Rex if the Jets fire him after this season.

Have you even watched how he has transformed the PSU offense? What he did with McGloin, who was a walk-on, and now is in the Raider organization?

Have you seen how he has led what was expected to be a decimated program, to keep it at a level of above average competitiveness in the deepest of the sanctions? How he rallied players around the organization to stay, when they could have left?

The NYJ would be lucky to have O'Brien. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if he were to go to any pro team, I hope it is the jets.

Nope, but I'm saying unless we can get someone else's well-established coach it would be very hard to find one that brings as many or more good things to the table as Rex. And if you only have a list of 1 potential guy obviously you don't think there are that many either.

No. You want to play the old bitonti game, "You name a coach to replace [strikeout]Herm[/strikeout] Rex and I'll tell you why that coach sucks!" It looks like this:

Me: What about Coach X?

JetsFan80: Coach X? He did that thing that time! He sucks!

Me: What about Coach Y?

JetsFan80: Coach Y?!?! Did he win four road playoff games once?!

No. You want to play the old bitonti game, "You name a coach to replace [strikeout]Herm[/strikeout] Rex and I'll tell you why that coach sucks!" It looks like this:

ahahaha. You didn't name anyone. See how right they were.

Have you even watched how he has transformed the PSU offense? What he did with McGloin, who was a walk-on, and now is in the Raider organization?

Have you seen how he has led what was expected to be a decimated program, to keep it at a level of above average competitiveness in the deepest of the sanctions? How he rallied players around the organization to stay, when they could have left?

The NYJ would be lucky to have O'Brien. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if he were to go to any pro team, I hope it is the jets.

It's still college, a totally different animal than the NFL. I'd even be skeptical about Nick Saban's chances of doing well if he decided to return to the NFL. How many names come to mind of successful transfers? Jim Harbaugh (so far), Jimmy Johnson, who else in recent memory?

It's still college, a totally different animal than the NFL. I'd even be skeptical about Nick Saban's chances of doing well if he decided to return to the NFL. How many names come to mind? Jim Harbaugh (so far), Jimmy Johnson, who else in recent memory?

O'Brien ran his offense and coached QB's in the pros.

If we are skeptical to hire any pro coach that has not been fired, or anyone with a track record, Rex is going to be here until 2050.

The game you are playing is not reaonsable

I think the point here is, at least the one I'm trying to make is that "someone other than Rex" isn't a solution. You don't get rid of him unless you seriously think you can get someone who will be better. What's the point in firing Rex for the sake of firing Rex if you don't have anyone in mind to replace him and perform at a higher level?

I think the point here is, at least the one I'm trying to make is that "someone other than Rex" isn't a solution. You don't get rid of him unless you seriously think you can get someone who will be better. What's the point in firing Rex for the sake of firing Rex if you don't have anyone in mind to replace him and perform at a higher level?

Well, I'm sure Idzik (like all GMs) has a short list of people he has in mind to replace the current coach. I think the last two years, along with this season's likely path, will be sufficient evidence that there are better candidates out there to be hired.

You're a good poster. I hope you stick around and continue contributing to the dialogue.

1. Bevell and Mornhinweg are both from the Walsh-Holmgren-Reid coaching tree. The leap from Mornhinweg to Bevell would not be severe enough to compromise Geno's development. You could probably even keep Mornhinweg on the staff if the next hire is Bevell.

2. I'm not advocating trading Rex for Bevell. I think Rex's termination is a fait accompli. As giddy as the remaining Rex fans are about being 2-1, they're all consciously forgetting the last two seasons entirely, and they're ignoring 20 penalties and mismanagement of time-outs in the last game, as well as the clock mismanagement in the Tampa game, and the fact that both Josh Freeman and EJ Manuel took their teams down the field late in the fourth quarter to tie or take the leads against this allegedly impenetrable defense. While some fans are ignoring these things, I'm pretty sure they haven't escaped the GMs notice.

3. Nobody knows if Bevell will be better or worse than Rex the same way that nobody knew if John Harbaugh would be any good. You don't fire coaches simply because you think there's a guaranteed "better" one out there. You fire coaches because you don't think they're good enough to run your team, then you go find one that you think can run your team. Rex is basically the defensive coordinator for this team right now. That's it. Even his most ardent supporters are advocating bringing in more assistants to shield the rest of the franchise from his vast weaknesses as a leader and administrator. I don't see how that's at all preferable or sustainable.

Weird.  He's listed as HC and Dennis Thurman is listed as our DC. 

They also forget how these mistakes can effect us in a game vs a superior opponent to Buffalo and also in the playoffs when its one and done. You simply can not afford those kind of mistakes in a playoff game and Rex has not improved at all in 4 years on the issues you mentioned.

Most people, even the ones who think Rex hung the moon, know deep down the only reason he's still here is because he is basically a very good DC posing as a HC . We must also keep in mind the Jets have not exactly been devoid of talent on the defensive side of the ball either.

You know what's funny is he made a color coded system for Sanchez to Avoid mistakes maybe he should make one for himself because when it comes to big decisions in the last few minutes of a game he scares the crap out of me and one game in this league is huge knowing we made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth 2 times should make that obvious.

Weird.  He's listed as HC and Dennis Thurman is listed as our DC. 

True but didn't Rex make it clear he would be calling the Defense ? This could very well be part of his problem causing him to lose a little focus. I'm sure when he's on the sidelines calling plays and deep in thought on what needs to be done, sometimes even a few plays ahead, he could very well lose focus . Its why a lot of coaches have failed in the past needing to keep control of what they did as a coordinator and not trusting others with the task. You know he's doing it because you see him buried in his spread sheets all game long.

It's still college, a totally different animal than the NFL. I'd even be skeptical about Nick Saban's chances of doing well if he decided to return to the NFL. How many names come to mind of successful transfers? Jim Harbaugh (so far), Jimmy Johnson, who else in recent memory?

yeah but look at the situations the Harbaughs walked into and then look at what Saban walked into ( a total sh!t show). Jimmy Johnson also walked into a nice situation trading Walker for a kings ransom  and having good knowledge of the conference he coached which made up most of the skill players on that Dallas team

True but didn't Rex make it clear he would be calling the Defense ? This could very well be part of his problem causing him to lose a little focus. I'm sure when he's on the sidelines calling plays and deep in thought on what needs to be done, sometimes even a few plays ahead, he could very well lose focus . Its why a lot of coaches have failed in the past needing to keep control of what they did as a coordinator and not trusting others with the task. You know he's doing it because you see him buried in his spread sheets all game long.

Yes.  He's calling the defense, hence the success.

I'm not sure what focus he's lost.  People disagreed with the challenges that didnt cost us the game.  Big deal.  If Manuel never fumbles or if Wilson didn't lose his cool, this outrage about his challenges are never uttered.  I see bad challenges weekly, that actually cost teams the game.  These, did not.

We don't know where Idzik might be leaning and it seems like it would be his call at this stage. That includes keeping Ryan if he feels its needed. If Rex is going to be buried deep in his excel sheet then maybe he needs to put more of the timeout/challenge burden on someone else

Yes.  He's calling the defense, hence the success.

I'm not sure what focus he's lost.  People disagreed with the challenges that didnt cost us the game.  Big deal.  If Manuel never fumbles or if Wilson didn't lose his cool, this outrage about his challenges are never uttered.  I see bad challenges weekly, that actually cost teams the game.  These, did not.

JIF you can't just dismiss calling bad time outs and using boneheaded challenge flags, that cost time outs as "no big deal" it is a big deal a very big deal. In week one the guy also cost us 20 + seconds of clock time by not calling a time out of course we were lucky to win due to a bad play by Tampa but this crap has been going on for 4 years and its got to stop. Once again everyone gets the Defensive smarts Rex has its the pulse of the game down the stretch that worries most . At least he seems to have shut his mouth and that's a good sign.

JIF you can't just dismiss calling bad time outs and using boneheaded challenge flags, that cost time outs as "no big deal" it is a big deal a very big deal. In week one the guy also cost us 20 + seconds of clock time by not calling a time out of course we were lucky to win due to a bad play by Tampa but this crap has been going on for 4 years and its got to stop. Once again everyone gets the Defensive smarts Rex has its the pulse of the game down the stretch that worries most . At least he seems to have shut his mouth and that's a good sign.

This is true, but I have also seen many great coaches make these boneheaded moves with regularity.  FWIW, I don't think he's shut his mouth at all, I just think he's starting to keep it in house which is the good sign. I didn't like the challenges, but I'm not that upset about them because there are so many times when coaches end up with that red flag in their pocket all day.  Pulling the trigger a little early isn't the end of the world.

Finally something tangible.  Good points.  However I am not one of those that thinks Rex needs to be "shielded".  I'm of the opinion that most coaches in the league have a particular expertise in one area, but that doesn't make them bad head coaches. 

I also disagree that Rex being fired is a foregone conclusion.  We don't know if Idzik looked closely at the last 2 seasons or if he's operating under a clean slate when it comes to Rex.  We also don't know if he looked at the FIRST two seasons when Rex did in 2009-10 what he's basically doing now:  Winning with a rookie (and then 2nd year) QB.  We don't know if he necesarilly is deadset on bringing in his own guy.  And we don't know what line Rex has to cross in either direction to earn an extension or a pink slip.  I can easily argue that if we go 8-8 or better Rex stays just as you can argue that if we go 8-8 or worse Rex gets fired, and both be wrong.   

Finally something tangible.  Good points.  However I am not one of those that thinks Rex needs to be "shielded".  I'm of the opinion that most coaches in the league have a particular expertise in one area, but that doesn't make them bad head coaches. 

I also disagree that Rex being fired is a foregone conclusion.  We don't know if Idzik looked closely at the last 2 seasons or if he's operating under a clean slate when it comes to Rex.  We also don't know if he looked at the FIRST two seasons when Rex did in 2009-10 what he's basically doing now:  Winning with a rookie (and then 2nd year) QB.  We don't know if he necesarilly is deadset on bringing in his own guy.  And we don't know what line Rex has to cross in either direction to earn an extension or a pink slip.  I can easily argue that if we go 8-8 or better Rex stays just as you can argue that if we go 8-8 or worse Rex gets fired, and both be wrong.   

This is a trial year. We're combining two opposite philosophies with Rex and Marty, shutting Rex up outside the locker room and developing a young QB. What helps is the past three drafts the Jets have done well. the 08-09-10 drafts were disasters and it showed. The Tony Sporano hire too, another fatal mistake.

I was hoping Bleedin Green would come along with his "More than one person can suck at their job at one time" thing.

BG wasn't wrong.  But if a team has a winning record despite several clowns running the show, that tells me the coach is pretty good.  Maybe not great, but pretty good.  You're of the opinion that Woody, Tannenbaum, and Rex all suck.  If that were true we would have NEVER tasted success. 

I find it hard to believe you've forgotten so quickly how great that 2010 season was.  I don't see too many HC's in the league that could have gotten more out of the team as it was constructed over a 4-year period.  And if Rex really had as big a say in personnel as you believe, then that speaks more poorly on Tannenbaum who's job it was to provide the groceries with limited input from the head coach.

Now that we may apparently have an adult in the room in Idzik, I think our future can be very bright with Rex.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I still love the (not so) fat (anymore) bastard.  And loving him makes me happier than finding reasons not to like him.  Just like most people, you have to decide if the good outweighs the bad. 

I would argue that people who want Rex fired are forgetting about the first two seasons, and the fumes the organization was running on after 2010. We have to remember that Rex didn't come in here fresh, he was inserted into what was essentially Mangini's arrangement. Rex inherited Mangini's GM, Mangini's OC, even Mangini's DC who stayed on the team but not as DC. Rex was able to make the most of the arrangement in 2009 and 2010, but in 2011 things changed, not from a coaching level, but from a management level. Our cap situation became increasingly worse, we weren't replacing talent lost with the talent necessary to compete at a high level, the QB never progressed enough and looks to be a bust at this point, or at least not playing to a 5th pick overall level. This past April Mel Kiper Jr compared the Jets to an expansion team in terms of what he perceived to be a lack of talent and this to me says it all. This team has been mismanaged by management and that is the real problem, not coaching.

It's not Rex's fault that he was not supplied the players necessary to be competitive, that falls on management, and that is why the general manager was fired after last season and Rex was not. The team got old and slow in key areas, and the Jets went into a transition this past off season, a transition that should have taken place in the off season of 2009. Tannenbaum was good at making the flashy moves, but when it came to efficiency many of his moves just raised question marks and showed the desperation of a team with a small window to win it all (with "capmageddon" prolonged until this off season). I see the opposite being the case with Idzik and that's a good sign, his moves seem to be all about efficiency.

I don't think Rex is getting fired without Woody's consent, and I think Idzik took the job with the understanding from Woody that it is ultimately Woody's call. We have been given no indications from the organization that Rex being fired is a forgone conclusion, this narrative is entirely media created. None of us truly know what is really going on, but we can guess, and our best guess comes from remembering that Tannenbaum was fired, and Rex was not. I think this shows us that Woody wants to keep Rex, and desperately wants a reason to extend him.

This is a trial year. We're combining two opposite philosophies with Rex and Marty, shutting Rex up outside the locker room and developing a young QB. What helps is the past three drafts the Jets have done well. the 08-09-10 drafts were disasters and it showed. The Tony Sporano hire too, another fatal mistake.

Yeah, I like our new commitment to drafting BPA.  As Sperm once said, drafting for need results in Victor Hobson's.

So, there is room for validity on both sides of the debate.

Novel.

So, there is room for validity on both sides of the debate.

Novel.

There never WASN'T room for validity on both sides but I didn't understand the logic of being anti-Rex, I moreso understood the logic of starting fresh with a new GM, QB, AND new HC if things didn't appear to be headed in the right direction. Given that Rex is either here for a while or gone depending on the results of THIS season, seems like a win-win year for everyone on both sides of the argument.

Or you could just use his body of work...the winning record, the winning seasons, the playoff wins and the fact he has the worst team ever assembled at 2-1....but you know, 3 games or something.

I blame Rex for having Sacnhez extended and not drafting Wilson. I'm fine with him staying as HC, but in practice he should be DC

I blame Rex for having Sacnhez extended and not drafting Wilson. I'm fine with him staying as HC, but in practice he should be DC

That seems kinda unreasonable. Tannenbaum extended Sanchez because Tannenbaum screwed up the cap. Then Tannenbaum traded for Tebow while Bradway (allegedly) was screaming up and down the hallway that Wilson was the man.

That seems kinda unreasonable. Tannenbaum extended Sanchez because Tannenbaum screwed up the cap. Then Tannenbaum traded for Tebow while Bradway (allegedly) was screaming up and down the hallway that Wilson was the man.

The amount of reason applied to the quotient is based on the agenda or opinion of the individual.

We don't know. Just lots of speculation.

The amount of reason applied to the quotient is based on the agenda or opinion of the individual.

We don't know. Just lots of speculation.

The Jets announcement Friday night that they signed Mark Sanchez to a three-year extension opened plenty of eyes around the league. Why would the Jets extend a quarterback coming off a mediocre season with two years still remaining on his rookie contract?

A league source told the Daily News that Sanchez would earn $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013. The fourth-year quarterback is set to earn $40.5 million over the final three years. The total value of his new-look five-year deal is $58.25 million.

Sanchez was going to be a $14.25 million hit on the cap before the extension. The team freed up $6.4 million in cap space this season, according to a detailed breakdown by www.profootballtalk.com.

Per PFT, Sanchez’s $11.75 million base salary for 2012 was converted to a $8 million signing bonus. A league source confirmed that Sanchez has a fully-guaranteed $3.25 million base salary for 2012. Sanchez will receive an $8.25 million fully guaranteed base salary in 2013, according to PFT. He has non-guaranteed base salaries from 2014-16.

Now, let’s take a closer look at the nuts and bolts of the deal:

1) Before the extension, the Jets had an $11.75 million investment for 2012 ($8.25 million base salary + $3.25 million in other bonuses) and a $6 million investment in 2013 ($4.5 million base salary and $1.5 million in bonuses). So, if Sanchez played the final two seasons under those terms, he would have earned $17.75 million.

2) Now, the Jets have guaranteed the $11.75 million that Sanchez was going to earn anyway in 2012 (Let’s face it: They weren’t going to cut him this season once it became apparent that Peyton Manning wasn't going to be a Jet) and guaranteed his 2013 salary. They also threw in an additional $2.75 million in guarantees in 2013 to increase the total guaranteed money for 2012 and 2013 to $20.5 million.

3) What do the Jets get in return? Well, the team received an additional three years in exchange for those guarantees in 2012 and 2013. Sanchez will earn $12.5 million/year over the final three years of this deal (not fully guaranteed), which would be below market value for a franchise quarterback in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

4) If Sanchez turns around his play over the next two seasons, the Jets will have an extremely favorable

deal for a very good starting quarterback in this league (12.5M/year for three years with the freedom to cut him at any point without worrying about any fully guaranteed salaries).

5) If Sanchez disappoints in 2012, the Jets may be able to trade him. They aren't necessarily locked into keeping him for the next two seasons. Why would anyone want to trade for Sanchez at that point? Well, teams would only have to make a $8.75 million commitment ($20.5M minus $11.75M paid in 2012) for a four-year contract. That could happen unless Sanchez regresses badly.

The Jets also certainly examined the free agent market for quarterbacks after the 2012 season before making this move. Matt Schaub is the headliner for a relatively thin 2013 free agent quarterback class. If Sanchez struggled in 2012, where would they turn? Would owner Woody Johnson agree to start over with a new quarterback in the 2013 draft?

So, the Jets decided that investing in Sanchez for 2013 would be the strategically sound course of action.

The worst case scenario for Gang Green: Sanchez regresses badly in 2012 and can’t be dealt after the season. If he underperforms again in 2013, the Jets could simply release him.

In short, the team gave Sanchez guaranteed money in 2013 and threw in a little extra cash ($2.75 million) in exchange for getting a potentially favorable deal from 2014-2016.

It’s a risk that the Jets’ braintrust was clearly willing to take.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Sanchez had two years left on his rookie contract. There was no reason for Rex to suggest an extension, no matter how much his detractors may want to cite his alleged "Sanchez love." Sanchez was only extended because Tannenbaum's cap situation had deteriorated into full disaster mode. There was no other reason for it.

I think Rex was the impetus towards the Sanchez double down

I think Rex was the impetus towards the Sanchez double down

Sanchez under contract for two more years when Tannenbaum extended him. There was no reason for a coach to seek an extension at that time. The only function that extension served was to get Tanny a little room under the cap back.

Archived