Pacman: Geno Doesn't Like Pressure

flgreen

'Pacman' on Geno: Doesn't like pressure

October, 24, 2013

OCT 24

1:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Cincinnati Bengals CB Adam "Pacman" Jones played at West Virginia four years before Geno Smith arrived, but he monitored Smith's career from afar. On Sunday, Jones will face him for the first time, armed with some intel he acquired from watching his alma mater over the years.

Jones

Jones, in an interview with Bengals.com, noted a frequent criticism of Smith

"He loves to hold the ball a little bit, so hopefully we can get him to pat the ball and let the guys up front get to him," Jones told the team's official website. "I know him a little more because he went to West Virginia. I probably couldn’t tell you about any of the other quarterbacks if we’re not facing them, but I did watch him a little more because he went to West Virginia. I got a chance to meet him a couple of times. He’s a good solid kid. Hopefully we can make it rowdy for him this Sunday, have the guys get to him a couple of times. I know he doesn’t like the pressure."

Smith

Jones is right; Smith does tend to hold the ball too long, which explains why he's been sacked so many times (25).

The Bengals haven't fared as well as you might expect against rookie quarterbacks. Under defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, they're 7-8 since 2008. In those games, the rookies compiled 16 touchdown passes and only six interceptions.

Zimmer said he's impressed with Smith.

"He’s got a cannon," he told Bengals.com. "I showed the players (Wednesday) morning a ball he threw from one hash about 40 yards down the field on a rope to the far sideline. Obviously, he’s a young guy that’s maturing, but I do feel like he’s gotten much better in the last few weeks. ... He’s got some running ability. He’s starting to scramble more than he was earlier in the year. He’s got good speed, but he’s a strong runner, so all of these things become issues."

Does anybody like pressure, or even doesn't mind it much?

Even Brady goes bad under pressure.

As far as holding the ball too long, so did Favre.  And like Favre,  Geno is an effective runner and throws long often and accurately. 

If you're going to throw long, you're going to hold the ball a little longer.  You depend on the momentum you generate with good passes to raise the performance level of the offensive linemen to give you the time.

Does anybody like pressure, or even doesn't mind it much?

Even Brady goes bad under pressure.

As far as holding the ball too long, so did Favre.  And like Favre,  Geno is an effective runner and throws long often and accurately. 

If you're going to throw long, you're going to hold the ball a little longer.  You depend on the momentum you generate with good passes to raise the performance level of the offensive linemen to give you the time.

Exactly.  Pacman's comments could be applied to any QB at any level. Has anyone ever heard a QB say that they love getting pressured, hit and sacked?

Exactly.  Pacman's comments could be applied to any QB at any level. Has anyone ever heard a QB say that they love getting pressured, hit and sacked?

Sanchez must have liked it. He did everything he could to allow it to happen

I read the artical on a diffrent site, NY media putting a twist that isn't there, it's an observation by PAC man since he went to the same Collage.

Sanchez is/was the worst I'd ever seen under pressure. He'd sh@t the bed big time, it was D-Lineman pick off City. If any thing he holds it a little to long, but he's getting better.

Roethlesberger does a pretty good job with people in his face also.

Yeah, I just remember some stat chart from a year or two ago (PFF or FO or similar) where they showed a QBs numbers when under pressure and Eli wasn't merely #1; there was considerable separation between him & everyone else.  Or there was like him & Brees & then there was basically everyone else.  Unless I'm remembering wrong, that is.  I only remember because I didn't expect his name to be literally #1.  Also it coincided with him being attempting the most (by percentage of attempts) "deep" passes.

There are a number of guys who are good.  Then there are those who have played for the Jets.

Yeah, I just remember some stat chart from a year or two ago (PFF or FO or similar) where they showed a QBs numbers when under pressure and Eli wasn't merely #1; there was considerable separation between him & everyone else.  Or there was like him & Brees & then there was basically everyone else.  Unless I'm remembering wrong, that is.  I only remember because I didn't expect his name to be literally #1.  Also it coincided with him being attempting the most (by percentage of attempts) "deep" passes.

There are a number of guys who are good.  Then there are those who have played for the Jets.

Just because some excel under pressure doesn't mean they "like" it.  I imagine if you asked, they'd say they prefer to not have the pressure and have time to find the best receiving option on each play.

Just because some excel under pressure doesn't mean they "like" it.  I imagine if you asked, they'd say they prefer to not have the pressure and have time to find the best receiving option on each play.

I'm quite sure none of them "like" it.  When he says Geno doesn't "like" pressure I took it to mean that he crumbles in the face of it; that his play gets poorer.

Ironically I've seen a lot of the opposite.  A lot of strikes - downfield strikes - were as someone's about to clobber him from a frontal assault.  One of his better traits, if you ask me.  His predecessor's reaction was to wave the ball around in his outstretched right hand.  If you looked closely you could see a post-it on it that read, "Please whack this out of my hand.  Or stick your tushy in my face.  One or the other.  TY!  - MS"

Archived