I like Geno

DRJETS

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've learned from my mistakes. Just cause we hope a guy is good doesn't make him good. 

Yeah man, you're always so smart, you recognize when you're wrong so easy.  So humble.  You're the best man.

it's way easier to attack me than it is to defend Geno Smith's play on the field.  

It's also easier to say "put in the next guy" when the raw rookie that's out there isn't throwing for 300+ yards, multiple TD's and no picks every week.  But don't let that stop you from being SOOOO right about all of this!

The Jets need to start seriously thinking about putting both QB's in the backfield.  Guess who's taking the snap.  With Matt Simms overall grit and Geno's athleticism...the Jets would be unstoppable.

Why would Matt Simms need Geno on the field?  He barely even needs teammates.

it's way easier to attack me than it is to defend Geno Smith's play on the field.  

That is because usually you make no sense, Bit-tonti and Geno had shown promise as QB.  Geno, so far has 4 winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT, that is record for rookie since the merger.  He is also completing 60% of his passess way better than Payton 53% in his rookie season.

That is because usually you make no sense, Bit-tonti and Geno had shown promise as QB.  Geno, so far has 4 winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT, that is record for rookie since the merger.  He is also completing 60% of his passess way better than Payton 53% in his rookie season.

It would actually be Bi-Tonti but there has been no evidence of that.

That is because usually you make no sense, Bit-tonti and Geno had shown promise as QB. Geno, so far has 4 winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT, that is record for rookie since the merger. He is also completing 60% of his passess way better than Payton 53% in his rookie season.

This stat can be very misleading. A QB can play horrible all game, and a RB can do all the work in one last drive and the QB gets credit in this stat.

Pretty meaningless stat. Proven Mark Sucksballs having good numbers in this category.

I like Geno too, but I find myself in deep thought asking, do I really like Geno, or do I like that he is not Mark Suckballs?

His TQBR is 32nd in the league.

He's better. By how much, I dont know. He's got better physical tools for sure. If Mark started his career in an organized offense like ours is now, who knows. The offense just doesnt have much talent. Sanchez was never really surrounded with good WR's and Geno certainly isnt currently.

It's too early to tell. 

He's better. By how much, I dont know. He's got better physical tools for sure. If Mark started his career in an organized offense like ours is now, who knows. The offense just doesnt have much talent. Sanchez was never really surrounded with good WR's and Geno certainly isnt currently.

It's too early to tell.

Being better than Mark Sucksballs is not a measurement. It's like saying that any food taste better than a dogs feces. Does not mean you want to eat it.

check post 127 this was literally Geno's worst game, as graded by PFF. I do think it's interesting that we are bringing up safeties, fumbles, and the adventures in his other games. Maybe instead of asking me why I don't like him I should be asking you why you do? since we can't even agree which awful game was his worst of the season. 

I have a mind of my own, thank you.  I don't need someone at PFF (using whatever metrics they use to come up with their decision) to tell me which game is Geno's worst game of the season.  Further, it doesn't even matter which is his worst game or that he has had some awful games.  He's a rookie with a mediocre OL and little or no real offensive weapons to work with, all while he's adjusting to the NFL, the WCO and working on his fundamentals for Pete's sake.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone who knows a whit about football and playing QB can see the talent that Geno has and the progress he's made during the course of this season.  That's all that really matters.  This is a rebuilding season so the record doesn't really mean squat.  I'm not saying that Geno is the second coming of Peyton Manning, but if you want to obsess over turnovers and awful QB play go back to Peyton's rookie season.  I've wasted all the energy I'm going to on this thread with you.  If you can't see the truth of the matter, it's because you don't want to.

OL grades must be taken into context with other OL. if you look at other teams around the league the Jets OL is way above average, even with the adventures at left guard. Eli would love to have the Jets OL. Matt Ran, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, these guys would have much better protection if the Jets were in front.

if you never look at any other teams, then the Jets OL isn't as good as it was when Faneca was here therefore they stink. 10th is a fair grade when you put it into context. If you disagree, tell me why and back it up. Who is better, who is worse? 

Pass blocking as been pretty good. Run blocking has been bad. A lot of teams struggling to run the football this year.

Biggest issue with the offense is we have a rookie QB being forced into the fire with a below average skill position group. We could hide that issue in 2009/2010 because we could run the football. This year, not so much. The kick off basically being eliminated has hurt us as well...we've always been one of the better KR teams in football recently.

OL grades must be taken into context with other OL. if you look at other teams around the league the Jets OL is way above average, even with the adventures at left guard. Eli would love to have the Jets OL. Matt Ran, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, these guys would have much better protection if the Jets were in front.

if you never look at any other teams, then the Jets OL isn't as good as it was when Faneca was here therefore they stink. 10th is a fair grade when you put it into context. If you disagree, tell me why and back it up. Who is better, who is worse? 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

We're basically average at run-blocking, but the only thing we're actually good at is not getting tackled at or behind the LOS. We're 23rd in short yardage, 31st in 5-10 yard runs, and 23rd in 10+ yard runs. All of this screams: average OL, solid backs.

Our Adjusted Sack Rate is for sh*t, but PFF has Geno as one of the league leaders in time to throw, so I think that's more a Geno problem than an OL problem.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

We're basically average at run-blocking, but the only thing we're actually good at is not getting tackled at or behind the LOS. We're 23rd in short yardage, 31st in 5-10 yard runs, and 23rd in 10+ yard runs. All of this screams: average OL, solid backs.

Our Adjusted Sack Rate is for sh*t, but PFF has Geno as one of the league leaders in time to throw, so I think that's more a Geno problem than an OL problem.

ok so looking at that ranking... they have GB number one. Is Josh Sitton better than Nick Mangold? Maybe. they don't have a tackle as good as Brick (even a down year Brick), they are starting David Bakthiari and Don Barclay. Would any Jets fan want either of those players over either of the Jets current starters? Austin Howard is having a very good year. SD at 4, they have 1 good lineman in Hardwick and a promising rookie in Fluker but again they don't have a Mangold or a Brick. They have SF at 26, they have 3 Pro Bowlers from last year.  Some OL rankings take the points produced into their formula. I don't believe in that... it's not fantasy football rankings, the oL rankings should be based on the job the OL does and the talent on that line not based on how many points are scored or how successful the offense should be...  if the other team knows you are running, that's gonna be tough to run against (alot of the problem with last year's line wasn't line personnel but predictability of play calls)

I also assign a cohesion score which is based on how many games or years these players have been together. 

even with all that said it's not a terrible ranking. I have the Jets at 10 they have the Jets at 15, it's not much of a difference. I had the Jets at 15 when the season started fwiw. Other teams got injured for example Tampa Bay, Seattle and Pittsburgh and the Jets move up through no great achievement of their own. they avoided major injury so they move up. End of the day we can call them mediocre or average but they aren't the problem with the offense. 

ok so looking at that ranking... they have GB number one. Is Josh Sitton better than Nick Mangold? Maybe. they don't have a tackle as good as Brick (even a down year Brick), they are starting David Bakthiari and Don Barclay. Would any Jets fan want either of those players over either of the Jets current starters? Austin Howard is having a very good year. SD at 4, they have 1 good lineman in Hardwick and a promising rookie in Fluker but again they don't have a Mangold or a Brick.

"Numbers don't matter, because Mangold and Brick."

They have SF at 26, they have 3 Pro Bowlers from last year.

"Numbers don't matter, because Pro Bowls."  

Some OL rankings take the points produced into their formula. I don't believe in that... it's not fantasy football rankings, the oL rankings should be based on the job the OL does and the talent on that line not based on how many points are scored or how successful the offense should be...  if the other team knows you are running, that's gonna be tough to run against (alot of the problem with last year's line wasn't line personnel but predictability of play calls)

For ****'s sake.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#aly

I also assign a cohesion score which is based on how many games or years these players have been together.

Cool! 

End of the day we can call them mediocre or average but they aren't the problem with the offense.

If not being the problem with the offense is the standard we're using, Geno should be your favorite player.

If not being the problem with the offense is the standard we're using, Geno should be your favorite player.

We just spent some time talking about where the Jets OL were ranked vs other OL in the league. it was a fair give and take and we basically both agree they are middle tier. I have them at B or B+ you have them at C or C+ but it's the same neighborhood. they are not the best they are not the worst. 

What is Geno ranked vs other QB's in the league? What is his letter grade? and not what we want it to be 5 years from now. 

"Numbers don't matter, because Mangold and Brick."

"Numbers don't matter, because Pro Bowls."  

For ****'s sake.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#aly

I mis-spoke SF has 3 current All-Pros on their OL. Pro Bowlers is not giving them justice. For numbers they are 6-2 and rolling right now. They are head and shoulders above the next best team in terms of OL talent, wall to wall. It's my opinion they've been the best line in the league for a couple of years. and they have Colin and Vernon but it's not Denver they are running football team.  btw I like that site and that's a good link. Those guys clearly think alot about what it means to have a good OL. I just don't buy that GB is number one. They are surprisingly decent but not that good.  there are more than one way to skin this cat and I like their rankings thanks for putting that link up. 

This stat can be very misleading. A QB can play horrible all game, and a RB can do all the work in one last drive and the QB gets credit in this stat.

Pretty meaningless stat. Proven Mark Sucksballs having good numbers in this category.

It is what it is, stop nitpicking on his accomplishment as a rookie.  Also take into account the garbage at WR that Geno is throwing to.  The running game for the most part has been below average. 

Archived