42 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Coach of the Year?

• Andy Reid
    • Pete Carrol
    • Sean Payton
    • Bill Belichick
    • Rex Ryan
    • Other

Barring a collapse Reid has to be it.  Even if they go 2-5 down the stretch they're a lock to get in.  Kansas City's play this year has taught me just how bad Romeo Crennell was.  6 Pro Bowlers last year, and 2 wins.  Really Romeo?

Didn't know it was that many, I just figured Charles and Hali, but had no idea Johnson, Colquitt and Berry made it and then Huston as an alternate. I was actually going to ask what the consensus on Berry's play was as I've only caught about a game and a half of the chiefs. It's good to hear he's playing well; he was so dominant in college and struggled pretty mightily his rookie year and then the bad injury, I'm glad to see him doing well.

Reid is a lock and he did a good job bringing in the guy who complements his system in Smith, but it's gonna be a one and done for them, unless Smith goes off like he did against Norleans. 

Didn't know it was that many, I just figured Charles and Hali, but had no idea Johnson, Colquitt and Berry made it and then Huston as an alternate. I was actually going to ask what the consensus on Berry's play was as I've only caught about a game and a half of the chiefs. It's good to hear he's playing well; he was so dominant in college and struggled pretty mightily his rookie year and then the bad injury, I'm glad to see him doing well.

Reid is a lock and he did a good job bringing in the guy who complements his system in Smith, but it's gonna be a one and done for them, unless Smith goes off like he did against Norleans. 

Agreed.  I don't think they can be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender.  But Coach of the Year is pretty much over by default.  You can only play the games as they appear on your schedule, and Reid is doing a fantastic job.

Agreed.  I don't think they can be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender.  But Coach of the Year is pretty much over by default.  You can only play the games as they appear on your schedule, and Reid is doing a fantastic job.

One and Done ?  Don't think they can be taken seriously ??

They play defense, control the football, and they do not turn it over not to mention they cause turnovers. Is there a better recipe for winning or do you guys just think only explosive offenses win SB's ? Alex Smith has proven he can get it done when needed but the ball control aspect and keeping the ball out of the hands of the opposing offense and guys like Peyton Manning puts them in a much much better position than most playoffs teams including Denver. You want your one and Done That's exactly where I would start looking... in Denver. If Denver has to travel to KC in the playoffs where its very hard to play Denver will have all it can handle.  I think KC and Andy Reid is a nice story and I hope they win it all and not only win the SB but stick it in Jim Harbaughs face as well

They play defense, control the football, and they do not turn it over not to mention they cause turnovers. Is there a better recipe for winning or do you guys just think only explosive offenses win SB's ? Alex Smith has proven he can get it done when needed but the ball control aspect and keeping the ball out of the hands of the opposing offense and guys like Peyton Manning puts them in a much much better position than most playoffs teams including Denver. You want your one and Done That's exactly where I would start looking... in Denver. If Denver has to travel to KC in the playoffs where its very hard to play Denver will have all it can handle.  I think KC and Andy Reid is a nice story and I hope they win it all and not only win the SB but stick it in Jim Harbaughs face as well

I think they're in for a rude awakening when they face Denver, and I don't expect that Denver would have to travel to Arrowhead when the playoffs come around.  The Chiefs will end up the Wild Card and have to go out and win on the road against the likes of Cincy, New England, Denver or Indianapolis.  I don't like their chances.

I think they're in for a rude awakening when they face Denver, and I don't expect that Denver would have to travel to Arrowhead when the playoffs come around.  The Chiefs will end up the Wild Card and have to go out and win on the road against the likes of Cincy, New England, Denver or Indianapolis.  I don't like their chances.

Denver could very well beat the Chiefs hell they have the team to blow them out but the same can be said for the Chiefs. I'm not trying to totally discredit Manning and Denver but I prefer the ball control team over the explosive one every time.. Too many times we have seen these explosive offenses get their asses handed to them come playoff time.

I can see KC losing in Denver and winning in Arrowhead and splitting the season with Denver at this stage that still leaves KC a game ahead should be interesting. I do think however getting home field throughout will be the most important thing for KC If they get it I think they are SB bound. They are a damn good football team Ive been watching them every week on Sunday ticket and I'm very impressed with just about every aspect of that team including the coaching of the defense where Sutton obviously took some from the Rex playbook

Denver could very well beat the Chiefs hell they have the team to blow them out but the same can be said for the Chiefs. I'm not trying to totally discredit Manning and Denver but I prefer the ball control team over the explosive one every time.. Too many times we have seen these explosive offenses get their asses handed to them come playoff time.

I can see KC losing in Denver and winning in Arrowhead and splitting the season with Denver at this stage that still leaves KC a game ahead should be interesting. I do think however getting home field throughout will be the most important thing for KC If they get it I think they are SB bound. They are a damn good football team Ive been watching them every week on Sunday ticket and I'm very impressed with just about every aspect of that team including the coaching of the defense where Sutton obviously took some from the Rex playbook

Denver has been anything but explosive this year.  Most of Peyton's throws are short, high-percentage tosses just like Alex Smith does.  Except Peyton is better at it; much better.  Peyton also relies heavily on Knowshon Moreno, who has been just as productive as Jamaal Charles.

The Chiefs have the better defense, true, but Peyton has ripped apart better D's in his career.

As someone said, barring a collapse, I think Reid has it hands down, but if the Jets go on a roll and say lose only one more game the rest of the way and KC loses a few, anything could happen.

As far as the SB, I can't see KC making it.  I haven't seen them play this year, but I have seen both Denver and Cincinnati play and I think KC will have a very tough time getting past either one.  KC may be for real, but I know they haven't really played anyone this year and no one with a topnotch QB.  In addition, I have a hard time believing that their D is that good considering that Bob Sutton is their DC.  NOTHING he did with the Jets even remotely suggests that he's even a good coach, much less a great DC.  I know that Smith has improved a lot over the last couple of years, but I also can't see him continuing to play mistake free football.  If he does, then perhaps Reid should win COY based on that alone.

While your points are valid, I still feel they are one and done. I have only seen Smith really put forth a great performance once or twice in his career and one of them was at Norleans in the playoffs. I just personally don't believe they will be able to score enough points should they face a team that can put up big numbers against them or learn to shut down Smith's dink and dunk offense. I love what Reid has done to the offense, Charles is a stud and their defense will keep them in most games, it's just my opinion that they won't make it out of the first round.  But after being 2-14 last year, that's still a hell of an accomplishment. Now, should Norleans playoff Alex Smith show up, then they very well could be the class of the AFC, I just personally don't see it.

Denver has been anything but explosive this year.  Most of Peyton's throws are short, high-percentage tosses just like Alex Smith does.  Except Peyton is better at it; much better.  Peyton also relies heavily on Knowshon Moreno, who has been just as productive as Jamaal Charles.

The Chiefs have the better defense, true, but Peyton has ripped apart better D's in his career.

yeah 80 I know how Manning gets it done maybe my choice of words could have been better but what I mean by explosive is the amounts of points scored. And Manning may be somewhat what you described but hes connected on some deep to mid range TD's as well and with all the skill players that team has they can take it to the house at anytime.

While your points are valid, I still feel they are one and done. I have only seen Smith really put forth a great performance once or twice in his career and one of them was at Norleans in the playoffs. I just personally don't believe they will be able to score enough points should they face a team that can put up big numbers against them or learn to shut down Smith's dink and dunk offense. I love what Reid has done to the offense, Charles is a stud and their defense will keep them in most games, it's just my opinion that they won't make it out of the first round.  But after being 2-14 last year, that's still a hell of an accomplishment. Now, should Norleans playoff Alex Smith show up, then they very well could be the class of the AFC, I just personally don't see it.

Keep in mind the Jets played powerful offenses in the playoffs when we had NO ONE on the offensive side of the ball other than a solid running game. How did we win those games ? Ball control and good defense.

@ JoeKlecko how can you say I have not seen KC play yet make the statement KC will have trouble getting past Denver and Cincy based on just watching those 2 teams play ? Sure they will be tough games as any playoff game is going to be tough but lets see how tough they are when they can't hear thmsleves think in Arrowhead :)

You can't take the Chiefs seriously until they import more swagger. Maybe they can open a few roster spots by jettisoning their veteran leadership, because veteran leadership gets in the way of good swag.

I dunno, they've got a few players with some killer dreads. Nawrocki might hate them, but they've got some swag.

Keep in mind the Jets played powerful offenses in the playoffs when we had NO ONE on the offensive side of the ball other than a solid running game. How did we win those games ? Ball control and good defense.

@ JoeKlecko how can you say I have not seen KC play yet make the statement KC will have trouble getting past Denver and Cincy based on just watching those 2 teams play ? Sure they will be tough games as any playoff game is going to be tough but lets see how tough they are when they can't hear thmsleves think in Arrowhead :)

I made it because they haven't played a topflight QB yet or a team with a winning record yet (I think).  I know how good Cincy and Denver are.  I also explained my other reasons.  I don't think that Smith can keep playing at this level, nor Sutton's D.  My opinion would probably change if they beat a topnotch team or two, but for now, it's what I think.  But hey, I could be wrong.  It's happened many times before.    I just don't think KC is that good.  It's basically the same team that went 7-9 in 2011 and what, 2-14 last season?  While I never thought they were that bad last season, I don't think they're that good this season.

Rex should win.

All things being equal, while the Chiefs were 2-14, the general perception is they were a lot better than the sum of their parts.  They had 6 Pro Bowlers on last years team.  They lost a few close games last year.  The addition of Andy Reid,with Alex Smith at QB,  was going to stabilize the team and the abortion of a QB situation.  That and health were going to get the Chiefs at least 8 wins in a mediocre division.

The Jets were a train wreck coming into the season.  The offense was in shambles.  The defense was regressing from their peak seasons of a few years back.  The Jets were unlikely to win 5 games the next two years much less this year at the half way point.  The Jets have a DL that is going to be a beast to deal with in future years.  If Geno progresses, the Jets could be a legitimate Superbowl contender with that defense.

If the Chiefs go 14-2 and win the division over the Broncos, then Reid deserves it.  However, if the Jets get to 10 wins, then he should split the vote.

Barring a collapse Reid has to be it.  Even if they go 2-5 down the stretch they're a lock to get in.  Kansas City's play this year has taught me just how bad Romeo Crennell was.  6 Pro Bowlers last year, and 2 wins.  Really Romeo?

I voted Rex. Reid is having an outstanding year but seriously, he had 6 pro bowlers to work with coming in. Like you said, it goes to show how bad Romeo was. It wasnt like Reid was handed a bad team. Rex has this team on track with an above .500 record after playing the Pats twice, Bengals & Saints with virtually no offensive weapons at the skillset to help out Geno. Even if Santonio was healthy the Jets still probably have the worst group of offensive weapons in the league. 

Meanwhile (and this isnt to take away from the feat of a 9-0 record) the Chiefs in their 9 games played the Jags, Eagles, Giants, Raiders, Texans, Browns and Bills. Furthermore, out of the 9 teams they've played only one (The Cowboys) team with a winning record. The Jets have played 4 games against teams with winning records, 3 of those games within the same conference, 2 in the same division. The jets split those games, winning one non-coference but won an important division game. 

The Jets have beaten two 1st place teams (within their division) which are considered contenders for the superbowl (Saints, Pats) and in the first game we lost to the Pats we took them the distance and only lost by 3. The Jets beat the Falcons at their house on Monday night BEFORE Julio Jones was lost for the season. The Jets faced and contained the #1, #2 & #3 best TE's in the game...and won all 3 games (Gonzalez, Gronk and Graham). 

So, winning 9 games in a row to start your season is phenomenal, but to be 5-4 when initially ranked as the worst team in the NFL, with one of the hardest schedules the first half of the season of any team, with a rookie QB, arguably the worst offensive weapons collectively in the league...and of those bad weapons, half of your current weapons playing with you rookie QB werent even on the team during training camp, and to have your team in 2nd place in your division looking at the 6th seed... I say Rex gets the nod because his situation isnt no where NEAR as easy as 6 probowlers a couple alternates along with the Jags, Raiders, Texans, Giants, Eagles, Browns & Bills lol.

I voted Rex. Reid is having an outstanding year but seriously, he had 6 pro bowlers to work with coming in. Like you said, it goes to show how bad Romeo was. It wasnt like Reid was handed a bad team. Rex has this team on track with an above .500 record after playing the Pats twice, Bengals & Saints with virtually no offensive weapons at the skillset to help out Geno. Even if Santonio was healthy the Jets still probably have the worst group of offensive weapons in the league.

Meanwhile (and this isnt to take away from the feat of a 9-0 record) the Chiefs in their 9 games played the Jags, Eagles, Giants, Raiders, Texans, Browns and Bills. Furthermore, out of the 9 teams they've played only one (The Cowboys) team with a winning record. The Jets have played 4 games against teams with winning records, 3 of those games within the same conference, 2 in the same division. The jets split those games, winning one non-coference but won an important division game.

The Jets have beaten two 1st place teams (within their division) which are considered contenders for the superbowl (Saints, Pats) and in the first game we lost to the Pats we took them the distance and only lost by 3. The Jets beat the Falcons at their house on Monday night BEFORE Julio Jones was lost for the season. The Jets faced and contained the #1 & #2 best TE's in the game...and won both games (Gronk and Graham).

So, winning 9 games in a row to start your season is phenomenal, but to be 5-4 when initially ranked as the worst team in the NFL, with one of the hardest schedules the first half of the season of any team, with a rookie QB, arguably the worst offensive weapons collectively in the league...and of those bad weapons, half of your current weapons playing with you rookie QB werent even on the team during training camp, and to have your team in 2nd place in your division looking at the 6th seed... I say Rex gets the nod because his situation isnt no where NEAR as easy as 6 probowlers a couple alternates along with the Jags, Raiders, Texans, Giants, Eagles, Browns & Bills lol.

Well said.

Something about this team rises to competition and lays down on the weak ones. As uber underdogs this year, we didn't have that issue, but I hope that won't change with this mid-season recognition. I think this may be where the competition is helping instill a consistent fire in this team, directly attacking the entitled attitude that guys like Holmes were bringing.

Well said.

Something about this team rises to competition and lays down on the weak ones. As uber underdogs this year, we didn't have that issue, but I hope that won't change with this mid-season recognition. I think this may be where the competition is helping instill a consistent fire in this team, directly attacking the entitled attitude that guys like Holmes were bringing.

Thanks. I stated that we contained the top 2 TE's in the league, make that the top 3 (Graham, Gronk, Gonzalez) and we won all three games. I completely forgot about Gonzalez. The Jets season in regards to the talent on this team and the talent we've faced is having an absolute fantastic year. Im not saying that we dont have talent on this team, but that talent is certainly one-sided (defense). Marty Morningweg (I dont feel like looking up the correct spelling lol) is really putting it together and Rex imo should be COTY at the halfway mark. He's certainly in the conversation no doubt. 

I thought you all might be interested in what Barry Wilner, an Associated Press sportswriter, had to say about who would get his vote at this point of the season for Coach of the Year and several other categories.  He seems to have little respect for the Jets.

MVP

Peyton Manning.   Runners up Justin Houston and Tamba Hali, Andrew Luck

Offensive Player

Peyton Manning

COACH

No Contest right now:  Andy Reid.  Runners Up: Rex Ryan, Bill Belicheat, Ron Rivera

IMO These three aren't surprising.  Some of the rest are.

Comeback Player
He said he is leaning towards Knowshon Moreno, but that Alex Smith, Sean Lee and Darrelle Revis are in the mix.  What has Revis done?  He isn't even totally healthy.

Offensive Rookie
He gives the edge to Gio Bernard for "excitement quotient alone."  Others in the conversation are D.J. Fluker, David Bakhtiari, Larry Warford, Travis Frederick, Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, Eddie Lacy, Zac Stacy, Keenan Allen.  I don't understand how Manuel could even be in the conversation considering he's missed what half the season already?  Smith deserves strong consideration considering the adjustments he's had to make and the lack of playmakers.

Defensive Rookie
He says that Kiko Alonso stands above the rest.  He doesn't even mention Richardson or any others, although he does say that there are plenty of contenders.

Defensive Coordinator

Bob Sutton.  He doesn't mention any runner ups, but Dennis Thurman and Sean McDermott, the Panther's DC, should at least be in the conversation. 

I would give the edge to McDermott after what the Panthers' D did to SF today in SF.  Sutton has a bunch of Pro Bowl players on his D and lots of talent at all levels.  The Panthers have a great front 7, but their DBs  are practically all cast-offs and street FAs or undrafted rookies.

Offensive Coordinator

Ken Whisenhunt, SD Chargers.  Really?  He gives the revival of Phillip Rivers, development of Ryan Matthews & rookie Keenan Allen, and the big season of WR Eddie Royal as his reasons.  I think this is bogus.  What about the job our own Marty Mornhinweg has done with Geno and few if any real playmakers on offense.

I made it because they haven't played a topflight QB yet or a team with a winning record yet (I think).  I know how good Cincy and Denver are.  I also explained my other reasons.  I don't think that Smith can keep playing at this level, nor Sutton's D.  My opinion would probably change if they beat a topnotch team or two, but for now, it's what I think.  But hey, I could be wrong.  It's happened many times before.    I just don't think KC is that good.  It's basically the same team that went 7-9 in 2011 and what, 2-14 last season?  While I never thought they were that bad last season, I don't think they're that good this season.

Denver's defense stinks and Manning is getting beat up and hit more often these days.  That's not a good sign.   Especially not a team that needs to score over 30 points just to win games.    And Cincy.   Maybe you said this after they beat the Jets because the past few weeks the Bengals look like a team who don't even deserve to make the playoffs.

Offensive Rookie

He gives the edge to Gio Bernard for "excitement quotient alone."  Others in the conversation are D.J. Fluker, David Bakhtiari, Larry Warford, Travis Frederick, Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, Eddie Lacy, Zac Stacy, Keenan Allen.  I don't understand how Manuel could even be in the conversation considering he's missed what half the season already?  Smith deserves strong consideration considering the adjustments he's had to make and the lack of playmakers.

Defensive Rookie

He says that Kiko Alonso stands above the rest.  He doesn't even mention Richardson or any others, although he does say that there are plenty of contenders.

Defensive Coordinator

Bob Sutton.  He doesn't mention any runner ups, but Dennis Thurman and Sean McDermott, the Panther's DC, should at least be in the conversation. 

I would give the edge to McDermott after what the Panthers' D did to SF today in SF.  Sutton has a bunch of Pro Bowl players on his D and lots of talent at all levels.  The Panthers have a great front 7, but their DBs  are practically all cast-offs and street FAs or undrafted rookies.

Offensive Coordinator

Ken Whisenhunt, SD Chargers.  Really?  He gives the revival of Phillip Rivers, development of Ryan Matthews & rookie Keenan Allen, and the big season of WR Eddie Royal as his reasons.  I think this is bogus.  What about the job our own Marty Mornhinweg has done with Geno and few if any real playmakers on offense.

You can't expect Marty or Geno to get any credit for what they're doing despite their lack of weapons. We can recognize that as fans of the team, but nationally people see a QB who throws one TD to the other team for every two he throws to his own. They see the rankings that inspire neckdemon to start another thread.

Thurman will never get any credit as a DC working for Rex. Rex gets all the credit for the defense, the way Andy Reid got all the credit in Philly for the offense, and Mornhinweg got none.

Richardson not being a major part of the conversation for DROY is a crime, though.

Denver's defense stinks and Manning is getting beat up and hit more often these days.  That's not a good sign.   Especially not a team that needs to score over 30 points just to win games.    And Cincy.   Maybe you said this after they beat the Jets because the past few weeks the Bengals look like a team who don't even deserve to make the playoffs.

Denver's defense isn't great, and may not even be good (I haven't seen their ranking), but any D that has Von Miller doesn't stink.  He was suspended and is just getting back into shape and the flow of things.  Once he gets his legs back under him, they will be a lot better on D.

Yes, Cincy has shocked me the last couple of weeks.  Don't know what their problems are, but know they have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball and good depth at many positions. It may be that Andy Dalton isn't good or consistent enough to put up enough points on a regular basis.

You can't expect Marty or Geno to get any credit for what they're doing despite their lack of weapons. We can recognize that as fans of the team, but nationally people see a QB who throws one TD to the other team for every two he throws to his own. They see the rankings that inspire neckdemon to start another thread.

Thurman will never get any credit as a DC working for Rex. Rex gets all the credit for the defense, the way Andy Reid got all the credit in Philly for the offense, and Mornhinweg got none.

Richardson not being a major part of the conversation for DROY is a crime, though.

I guess you're right about Thurman and Geno, but imo it's every bit as much a crime for Mornhinweg not to be a strong candidate for OC of the year as it is for Richardson to not be a strong candidate for defensive ROY. Most everyone thought Geno would need to sit for a year or so before starting.  While he's been wildly inconsistent, Mornhinweg and Lee have him playing much better than expected and running a big part of the offense, not just a limited amount.  The Jets do have 5 wins and the offense has been a huge part of that, but I guess sportswriters look more at statistics rather than the actual quality of the work involved, since it would require too much homework, thought and analysis.   Even if I weren't a Jets fan, as a football fan I would be able to recognize and appreciate the HUGE difference in the Jets' offense with Mornhinweg as OC rather than Sparano or Schotty, and how a team that was considered to be one of the worst in the league with a lame-duck HC, is now in the running for a playoff spot and playing very well, particularly with so few "weapons."  

Philip Rivers has been a quality QB before just as Royal has been a quality receiver before, and think Matthews has also been a quality RB before.  I know that I'm biased, but I don't see any big deal about what Whisenhunt has done in SD.  What Mornhinweg has accomplished with a rookie QB, castoff WRs and TEs, and running back by committee is nothing short of incredible imo.

Archived