Minnesota

Atlanta

Cinncinnati

Cleveland

Tennessee

Arizona

Seattle

Philadelphia

We can discard at least 3 or 4 that are "expansion teams" as you still need to give them time , and 2 are in the playoffs this year with great chances.

Buffalo and Minnesota have been to FOUR (lost all, which quite frankly is probably worse than never have gotten there), and Philly went to like 5 championship games in a row and a superbowl.

Arizona, Atlanta, and Tennesseee have been to the big dance in about the past 10 years, and Carolina lost in one.

Seattle is on the precipice of getting to one.

So the teams that may have a fan base "envious of the JETS", would have to be Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Pretty sad if those 2 teams are "envious" of us.

The Jets won their first championship after only 8 years of existence. There are no expansion teams under 8 years old anymore. The expansion teams can't use that excuse anymore.

Buffalo hasn't been to the playoffs this millennium. Minnesota is a classic underacheiving franchise (in fact, they are the NFC team who most mirror the Jets and their last SB appearance was almost 40 years ago) Philly went to the last of those NFC Championship games five years ago and haven't won a postseason game since then.

Arizona has been the SB in the last 10 years, as an 8-8 wildcard. Atlanta went 16 years ago. Tennessee 14 years ago. Carolina lost. I'd rather not go than lose the SB. Losing the SB is worse to me than not making the playoffs. You're forever forgotten as the opponent of the team that won that year. Losing a SB is bullsh*t. Winning one is the only thing that counts.

When Seattle wins won they can brag. Until then... no one cares.. and they are a team that has now been in existence for almost 40 years without a championship. 

How does your list not include Detroit? A team that has never been to the Super Bowl and hasn't won an NFL Championship since 1957.

Kansas City hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years and their SB drought is a whopping one less year than ours. 

Miami's is four fewer years than ours and they haven't won a playoff game in more than a decade.

Stop being such a whiner. I'd rather be a Jets fan than root for any of those teams. 

The Jets won their first championship after only 8 years of existence. There are no expansion teams under 8 years old anymore. The expansion teams can't use that excuse anymore.

Buffalo hasn't been to the playoffs this millennium. Minnesota is a classic underacheiving franchise (in fact, they are the NFC team who most mirror the Jets and their last SB appearance was almost 40 years ago) Philly went to the last of those NFC Championship games five years ago and haven't won a postseason game since then.

Arizona has been the SB in the last 10 years, as an 8-8 wildcard. Atlanta went 16 years ago. Tennessee 14 years ago. Carolina lost. I'd rather not go than lose the SB. Losing the SB is worse to me than not making the playoffs. You're forever forgotten as the opponent of the team that won that year. Losing a SB is bullsh*t. Winning one is the only thing that counts.

When Seattle wins won they can brag. Until then... no one cares.. and they are a team that has now been in existence for almost 40 years without a championship. 

How does your list not include Detroit? A team that has never been to the Super Bowl and hasn't won an NFL Championship since 1957.

Kansas City hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years and their SB drought is a whopping one less year than ours. 

Miami's is four fewer years than ours and they haven't won a playoff game in more than a decade.

Stop being such a whiner. I'd rather be a Jets fan than root for any of those teams. 

Whoops, your right 13. Forgot about Detroit. Of course I'd rather be a Jet fan (obviously), but RIGHT NOW, its pretty cool to be a fan in Seattle considering what Carroll and Bevell have done up there.

I have been around many different fan bases, and never, never, never has it come up in conversation that I am a Jets fan, that they counter with "I am envious".

No the normal response is hard to judge, because most times they are on the floor laughing so hard, and crying out in some screeching voice: "How do you root for those clowns?"

Take that up with the people who still cream themselves over Parcells. I'm not in that camp. He did, however, oversee the fish's only playoff appearance in the last decade. So he does something right.

I'm not sure what your take is here other than to take something up with me. Do you think Parcells sucks? Do you think Mangini would do a good job as a GM?

I'm no trying to take anything up with you personally, just your unrealistic stance that everything wrong with the Jets is everyone's fault EXCEPT Rex, and everything good with the Jets is only Rex's doing.

Mangini built a horrible team, but Rex was able to win with it..... Rex is the greatest........

Tannenbaum destroyed the current team, and it's so bad that not even Rex can win with it.....

If Idzik does HIS job, the Jets will go to the playoffs...... Rex is the greatest..........

You have put Rex up on this pedestal that is IMO ludicrous.

IMO, 

Mangini built the foundation of the team that Rex won with, which was a great running game, and a solid D.

Do I think Mangini was great, no, not by a mile. He did not net us a QB, nor any WR's.

Do I think he had a better idea of how to build a team than Rex, absolutely. 

I think Parcells was a great HC in three ways, one, he seemed to know how to identify and recruit the best coordinators. Second, he truly seemed to be able to get the most out of players, he was really a master motivator. Three, he was able to recognize talent in his players for the most part, and the lack of talent for the most part.

I think he was a crappy GM for us, and for the Dolphins. Can't really say his role with the Cowboys becuase of the clown Jerry Jones.

I can't stand Parcels. I single handedly blame him for not having Manning. I single handedly blame him for Badway which led to Herm.

To be clear, YOU were the one who said they were scared when Parcels went to Miami, not me. You said when Parcels went to Miami, you were scared, if Mangini goes there, you will be happy. I questioned you on that. I never said anything about Parcels in Miami other than responding to you. To me, Parcels not as a HC is worthless. You accept him as GM becuase he was a good enough coach to overcome his bad GM'ing ability. Much like Belicheck.

I'm no trying to take anything up with you personally, just your unrealistic stance that everything wrong with the Jets is everyone's fault EXCEPT Rex, and everything good with the Jets is only Rex's doing.

Mangini built a horrible team, but Rex was able to win with it..... Rex is the greatest........

Tannenbaum destroyed the current team, and it's so bad that not even Rex can win with it.....

If Idzik does HIS job, the Jets will go to the playoffs...... Rex is the greatest..........

IMO, 

Mangini built the foundation of the team that Rex won with, which was a great running game, and a solid D.

Do I think Mangini was great, no, not by a mile. He did not net us a QB, nor any WR's.

I think Parcells was a great HC in three ways, one, he seemed to know how to identify and recruit the best coordinators. Second, he truly seemed to be able to get the most out of players, he was really a master motivator. Three, he was able to recognize talent in his players for the most part, and the lack of talent for the most part.

I think he was a crappy GM for us, and for the Dolphins. Can't really say his role with the Cowboys becuase of the clown Jerry Jones.

I can't stand Parcels. I single handedly blame him for not having Manning. I single handedly blame him for Badway which led to Herm.

To be clear, YOU were the one who said they were scared when Parcels went to Miami, not me. You said when Parcels went to Miami, you were scared, if Mangini goes there, you will be happy. I questioned you on that. I never said anything about Parcels in Miami other than responding to you. To me, Parcels not as a HC is worthless. You accept him as GM becuase he was a good enough coach to overcome his bad GM'ing ability. Much like Belicheck.

Never said I was scared when Parcells went to Miami, I said I was sick. Big difference. The rest of this characterization of my opinions is equally accurate. Lol @ the "pedestal" I have Rex on. The one where I said he was a pretty good coach and the Jets could do (and have done) worse? Yeah, I'm totally in love and blinded by emotion.

Rex is coaching the team next year, get over it.

And I said before he was retained that the Jets need to be in the playoffs next year no matter who was coaching the team and, yes, that has everything to do with Idzik doing his job with the abundance of cash and picks he has at his disposal. Sorry if that's also somehow unreasonable. God forbid I suggest the GM should be able to add talent to the team with a dozen picks and $50M in cap space.

IMO, 

There's one major problem with all of this.  Applying any degree of credit and/or blame to either one of Mangini or Rex for what is ultimately the job of the GM is completely baseless conjecture.  There is absolutely nothing of record to support this, other than a handful of folks on a Jets message board who repeat it so often to the point that they feel that somehow qualifies as evidence.  Meanwhile, there was a clear similarity in how free agency and the draft were handled over Tanny's entire time here, despite overlapping both Mangini's and Rex's head-coaching tenures, yet a drastic change between Tanny's time as GM and Idzik's to date, despite no change to the head coach.  That alone would seem to greatly contradict this theory that the Jets rosters were really being completely run by the HCs.  It's an even more questionable theory when you consider both of these guys were first-time HCs (and in Mangini's case, had a grand total of one crappy year as a DC to his name), never mind having any history of involvement on the personnel level.  It's also worth noting that there were multiple roster moves that have taken place over this time period which it was widely reported that these head coaches were adamantly against, most recently being the Tebow trade.

What makes all of this that much more questionable is even if we assume that Mangini and Rex were really the GMs-in-hiding all of these years, your entire premise is built around the concept of giving the credit to all of the success to Mangini and the blame for all failures to Rex, despite the team seeing far more success under Rex than Mangini.  That itself makes it rather clear that, in addition to a theory based entirely on an unfounded assumption which contradicts what has been publicly presented, it is deliberately formed with the intent of pushing an agenda.

None of this to argue against the reality that both Mangini and Rex having plenty of areas for which they deserve criticism in relation to what they did as head coaches, but that's an entirely different story than going around and subjectively reassigning credit and blame to them as you see fit for the work of others.

IMO, 

WOW.

Never said I was scared when Parcells went to Miami, I said I was sick. Big difference. The rest of this characterization of my opinions is equally accurate. Lol @ the "pedestal" I have Rex on. The one where I said he was a pretty good coach and the Jets could do (and have done) worse? Yeah, I'm totally in love and blinded by emotion.

Rex is coaching the team next year, get over it.

And I said before he was retained that the Jets need to be in the playoffs next year no matter who was coaching the team and, yes, that has everything to do with Idzik doing his job with the abundance of cash and picks he has at his disposal. Sorry if that's also somehow unreasonable. God forbid I suggest the GM should be able to add talent to the team with a dozen picks and $50M in cap space.

Im over it, aint no thing.

I agree we could do worse than Rex, in fact, much worse, but to act like Idzik could actually do a good job this offseason, and it is utterly impossible that Rex could do a bad job next season IMO is crazy.

Rex had had seasons where he did great, and seasons where he did horrible.

Are you saying it's not even remotely possible that Rex could do a bad job coaching? Because when you make statements like that, that is how it comes across.

Im over it, aint no thing.

I agree we could do worse than Rex, in fact, much worse, but to act like Idzik could actually do a good job this offseason, and it is utterly impossible that Rex could do a bad job next season IMO is crazy.

Rex had had seasons where he did great, and seasons where he did horrible.

Are you saying it's not even remotely possible that Rex could do a bad job coaching? Because when you make statements like that, that is how it comes across.

I believe the Rex Fanboy Position is that Real Rex is the coach that went to two AFC Championship Games, and every other year Real Rex was victimized by circumstances far beyond his practical and philosophical control.

There's one major problem with all of this.  Applying any degree of credit and/or blame to either one of Mangini or Rex for what is ultimately the job of the GM is completely baseless conjecture.  There is absolutely nothing of record to support this, other than a handful of folks on a Jets message board who repeat it so often to the point that they feel that somehow qualifies as evidence.  Meanwhile, there was a clear similarity in how free agency and the draft were handled over Tanny's entire time here, despite overlapping both Mangini's and Rex's head-coaching tenures, yet a drastic change between Tanny's time as GM and Idzik's to date, despite no change to the head coach.  That alone would seem to greatly contradict this theory that the Jets rosters were really being completely run by the HCs.  It's an even more questionable theory when you consider both of these guys were first-time HCs (and in Mangini's case, had a grand total of one crappy year as a DC to his name), never mind having any history of involvement on the personnel level.  It's also worth noting that there were multiple roster moves that have taken place over this time period which it was widely reported that these head coaches were adamantly against, most recently being the Tebow trade.

What makes all of this that much more questionable is even if we assume that Mangini and Rex were really the GMs-in-hiding all of these years, your entire premise is built around the concept of giving the credit to all of the success to Mangini and the blame for all failures to Rex, despite the team seeing far more success under Rex than Mangini.  That itself makes it rather clear that, in addition to a theory based entirely on an unfounded assumption which contradicts what has been publicly presented, it is deliberately formed with the intent of pushing an agenda.

None of this to argue against the reality that both Mangini and Rex having plenty of areas for which they deserve criticism in relation to what they did as head coaches, but that's an entirely different story than going around and subjectively reassigning credit and blame to them as you see fit for the work of others.

I have had this argument before with many on this board, and I don't necessarily feel like having it again.

I will tell you this, the only reason, and I mean the only reason Tannenbaum was ever put in as a GM is because the Jets (Woody) wanted to implement a Bellicheck/Parcels type system. Where the HC is essentially buying the groceries, and the GM is responsible for negotiating deals, managing the cap, managing the scouting dept, and other non grocery buying responsibilities. Tannenbaum was supposed to be Paoli.

If anyone in their right mind thinks Paoli was making personnel decisions in NE they are smoking crack.

Woody is dumb, and I mean really dumb, but I don't think even he is so dumb to put an accountant with literally zero personnel experience as a GM who is expected to make personnel decisions.

Personally, I don't like that system, and I think it's fallen out of favor very quickly in the NFL for good reason, but that is the system the Jets had in place. That said, they hired Mangini to be like Bellicheck, and Tanny to be Paoli.

As for Rex, he stepped into Manginis role in all of this, but as time went on he lost some of his personnel power.

I believe the Rex Fanboy Position is that Real Rex is the coach that went to two AFC Championship Games, and every other year Real Rex was victimized by circumstances far beyond his practical and philosophical control.

Who was the Rex that made Sanchez the captain, while he was running around pantsing players? Or the one that made Holmes captain? Or the one that claimed they did not know of the problems between the two that the rest of the free world knew about, while the team collapsed in 2011? Was that Tannebaums fault too?

Rex has done some good things here, I can't take that away from him as much as I dislike him as the HC, but he has also done a lot of really bad jobs here too, and those are his fault as much as he gets credit for the good he has done.

At least in my mind.

Who was the Rex that made Sanchez the captain, while he was running around pantsing players? Or the one that made Holmes captain? Or the one that claimed they did not know of the problems between the two that the rest of the free world knew about, while the team collapsed in 2011? Was that Tannebaums fault too?

Rex has done some good things here, I can't take that away from him as much as I dislike him as the HC, but he has also done a lot of really bad jobs here too, and those are his fault as much as he gets credit for the good he has done.

At least in my mind.

It's not Rex's fault that Tannenbaum didn't bring in captains.

I can't pretend to speak for all the alleged fanboys, but I think for the most part that Rex has done more with less, particularly this past season, and that he's learned on the job. The pampering Sanchez, the captain thing, whatever, all seems to be a thing of the past. So for the conversation going forward, it doesn't matter. Not to me, anyway.

Also said -again- before Rex was retained that the onus was on the GM in 2014 to bring in some quality groceries with 12 picks and $50M. That if a crappy coach like Rex can win eight games with this roster, whoever's coaching them next year has to have making the playoffs as a bare minimum requirement. It's gonna be Rex, so he has to produce.

If he doesn't, the two will part ways. From there, time will tell if either, neither, or both of them are competent at their job. But I don't expect it to come to that. I expect playoffs and a contract extension for Rex next year.

I can't pretend to speak for all the alleged fanboys, but I think for the most part that Rex has done more with less, particularly this past season, and that he's learned on the job. The pampering Sanchez, the captain thing, whatever, all seems to be a thing of the past. So for the conversation going forward, it doesn't matter. Not to me, anyway.

Also said -again- before Rex was retained that the onus was on the GM in 2014 to bring in some quality groceries with 12 picks and $50M. That if a crappy coach like Rex can win eight games with this roster, whoever's coaching them next year has to have making the playoffs as a bare minimum requirement. It's gonna be Rex, so he has to produce.

If he doesn't, the two will part ways. From there, time will tell if either, neither, or both of them are competent at their job. But I don't expect it to come to that. I expect playoffs and a contract extension for Rex next year.

When is Rex to blame been here 5 yrs. 2 playoffs 3 no playoffs. But he's not to blame for the bad only the the good?

Rex is human, unlike other robotic football people when you prick him he doth bleed.  He instilled a sense of intoxicating bravado that the team rode far into the playoffs his first couple of years.  Had his ups and downs the last 3 years, but this past year the team did much much better with its personnel than was predicted.

Plus, Woody still thinks he's Belichick The Second-an ace defensive mind who takes time to get hold of the offensive end, and who then rips the league apart for years.

I have had this argument before with many on this board, and I don't necessarily feel like having it again.

I will tell you this, the only reason, and I mean the only reason Tannenbaum was ever put in as a GM is because the Jets (Woody) wanted to implement a Bellicheck/Parcels type system. Where the HC is essentially buying the groceries, and the GM is responsible for negotiating deals, managing the cap, managing the scouting dept, and other non grocery buying responsibilities. Tannenbaum was supposed to be Paoli.

If anyone in their right mind thinks Paoli was making personnel decisions in NE they are smoking crack.

Woody is dumb, and I mean really dumb, but I don't think even he is so dumb to put an accountant with literally zero personnel experience as a GM who is expected to make personnel decisions.

Personally, I don't like that system, and I think it's fallen out of favor very quickly in the NFL for good reason, but that is the system the Jets had in place. That said, they hired Mangini to be like Bellicheck, and Tanny to be Paoli.

As for Rex, he stepped into Manginis role in all of this, but as time went on he lost some of his personnel power.

I see what your argument is, but frankly I don't see much evidence that supports it other than claims by a bunch of message board posters (as you are certainly not the only one around here who feels this way).  It seems like a variety of theories that I'm not really sure what basis they have, other than thinking Tanny was an awful hire from day one that didn't make any sense, so we should assume something different was truth.  Considering that Mangini's track record included no head coach experience and only one year of pretty crappy DC experience, he was also an idiotic HC hire, never mind HC/GM hire, so I'm not sure how much water that argument holds.  Tanny at least had 10+ years of front office experience to his name, even if it wasn't the kind of experience you'd ideally want out of your GM, it's more than can be said for the resumes of those we're meant to assume were told to do his job instead of him.  From what I've seen, there were a variety of tendencies that lasted throughout all of Tanny's career as GM, regardless of the HC, as well as words and actions that came from the Jets themselves (be it the HCs, GMs, or owner), that would seem to tell a different story.

None of this is meant to in any way excuse Mangini or Rex from any of the much-deserved blame they both get for their own failures, but rather let the blame for other failures fall where it deserves to.  While I know others certainly won't agree, I tend to feel like it actually hurts an argument, more than helps it, when people go out of their way to try to blame everything on one particular person they clearly don't like.  It's like I've always said even when I was the one hating on certain guys (e.g., Sanchez):  when there are plenty of real reasons to crap on them, no reason to try to make any up.

I see what your argument is, but frankly I don't see much evidence that supports it other than claims by a bunch of message board posters (as you are certainly not the only one around here who feels this way).  It seems like a variety of theories that I'm not really sure what basis they have, other than thinking Tanny was an awful hire from day one that didn't make any sense, so we should assume something different was truth.  Considering that Mangini's track record included no head coach experience and only one year of pretty crappy DC experience, he was also an idiotic HC hire, never mind HC/GM hire, so I'm not sure how much water that argument holds.  Tanny at least had 10+ years of front office experience to his name, even if it wasn't the kind of experience you'd ideally want out of your GM, it's more than can be said for the resumes of those we're meant to assume were told to do his job instead of him.  From what I've seen, there were a variety of tendencies that lasted throughout all of Tanny's career as GM, regardless of the HC, as well as words and actions that came from the Jets themselves (be it the HCs, GMs, or owner), that would seem to tell a different story.

None of this is meant to in any way excuse Mangini or Rex from any of the much-deserved blame they both get for their own failures, but rather let the blame for other failures fall where it deserves to.  While I know others certainly won't agree, I tend to feel like it actually hurts an argument, more than helps it, when people go out of their way to try to blame everything on one particular person they clearly don't like.  It's like I've always said even when I was the one hating on certain guys (e.g., Sanchez):  when there are plenty of real reasons to crap on them, no reason to try to make any up.

Fair enough.

I will say that I wouldn't want either Mangini nor Rex as my HC, although I think both have positives and negatives.

As much as I don't want Rex to be HC anymore, I have acknowledged and given him a lot of credit where I think it's due.

For me, I have seen 3 AFCCG's, a division championship (sad only one in all these years), big playoff wins. I am at the point where it's all or nothing for a SB championship. Obviously not every year, but I want to be building towards that, and as soon as I am of the belief that my HC or GM is not the right guy for the task, I want them gone immediately in hopes that the next guy is the right guy for the task.

I felt that way about Mangini, and I felt that way about Rex, but I think  you could do worse than either of them. Some fans don't feel that way, they feel that if you could do worse, don't make the move. I feel like if I can do better, make the move. I am willing to lose the good things I see in Rex for the hopes that the next guy is better, because I don't think he is good enough. Exactly as I felt with Mangini.

Archived