Thank you Joe, 1-12-1969

joewillie78

Thanks to Joewillie Namath, Boozer, Snell, Sauer, Maynard, Beverly Weeb etc, for the greatest upset in SPORTS history, on that great day 45 years ago. Still the most important win in the most important game in NFL history.

For those of us who got to watch it live and watch Joe carve up the almighty Colts, and watch Joe run off the field holding up the #1 finger, its still brings back chills today.

Here's to the 1969 World Champion NY JETS.

What a ring that has.

CHEERS.

I was 16 and watched the game with my Dad (now passed).

We lived in Waldwick NJ at the time and my best friend who lived behind us were huge Giant fans. 

They went into hiding for several days after the game. When they showed their faces they said Jets win was all luck LOL, but when KC upset Vikings the next year the smart NFL fans (remember, it was NFL vs AFL) sensed the style of play of the AFL was 'the future'.

It was a truly great day for all Jet fans but this was a game that all AFL fans were 'brothers in arms'.

I was 7 and went to the movies -- no idea they were even in a Super Bowl. All I remember was my dad won a bunch of money.

All our dads made money. Even though my father made Boatloads of money as a huge Jet fan, and getting 16.5, he really didnt care that much about the money, as he did watching his all-time favorite team win that game. He used to struggle with me worshipping Joe Willie, because he wasnt a big fan of Joe's "lifestyle" back then, but he loved watching Joe sling it around every sunday, and always took me to that Moseleum known as Shea Stadium.

I'm beginning to believe this was a hoax like the moon landing. If it was that easy to do 40+ years ago why haven't we been back? Where any of you clowns even at the Game?

Great point. Pretty sure we have a better chance of one of us here going to the moon before going to a Jets superbowl.  The moon will probably be cheaper to go to as well.

Great point. Pretty sure we have a better chance of one of us here going to the moon before going to a Jets superbowl.  The moon will probably be cheaper to go to as well.

We won because we had HESS not WOODY, we hade WEEB, not REX, We Had NAMATH, not Geno or Mark.

Pretty simple formula.

Thanks to Joewillie Namath, Boozer, Snell, Sauer, Maynard, Beverly Weeb etc, for the greatest upset in SPORTS history, on that great day 45 years ago. Still the most important win in the most important game in NFL history.

For those of us who got to watch it live and watch Joe carve up the almighty Colts, and watch Joe run off the field holding up the #1 finger, its still brings back chills today.

Here's to the 1969 World Champion NY JETS.

What a ring that has.

CHEERS.

Yep,

I could just hear you back then.

"Fire Weeb"  " He's a doddering old fool"   "The game has passed him by"   "Hasn't been to the playoffs in 8 years"   "What  has he done since 1959?"   "used to win Championships, but now the Jets are 29-35 under him"  "The Jets will never even win their Division until this old fool is gone"   

Yep,

I could just hear you back then.

"Fire Weeb"  " He's a doddering old fool"   "The game has passed him by"   "Hasn't been to the playoffs in 8 years"   "What  has he done since 1959?"   "used to win Championships, but now the Jets are 29-35 under him"  "The Jets will never even win their Division until this old fool is gone"   

Not even REX could screw up Namath, Boozer, Snell, Maynard, Sauer etc. could he?

Archived