how do i bring this up without the entire boards head exploding?

ylekram

I don't think anyone outside of you thinks Earl Thomas is better.  Like, in the entire NFL.  You don't trade a top DL for a top Safety.  EVER.

Earl Thomas was First Team All Pro and could potentially win DPOY and is on a team with a historically good secondary.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earl Thomas was First Team All Pro and could potentially win DPOY and is on a team with a historically good secondary.

And don't you think that being on a team with a lot of other really good DB's tends to make Thomas seem better than he is?  I don't care what awards he's winning.  Wilkerson is far more valuable.

And don't you think that being on a team with a lot of other really good DB's tends to make Thomas seem better than he is?  I don't care what awards he's winning.  Wilkerson is far more valuable.

In your opinion sure. I think they're close but with the depth we have at dline and our secondary currently sucking....Thomas would be a huge help.

Its totally hypothetical, but Earl Thomas is a bad man. He can play.

In your opinion sure. I think they're close but with the depth we have at dline and our secondary currently sucking....Thomas would be a huge help.

Its totally hypothetical, but Earl Thomas is a bad man. He can play.

He's a freaking safety.  Wilkerson plays every position on the DL and could be a HOFer before all is said and done.  You're wayyyy off on this one.

This was written LAST year: 

"The most impressive of Wilkerson’s numbers is probably nine. That’s the amount of alignments, on either side of the ball, Wilkerson is asked to play in the Jets' defense. Success in the NFL can often be as simple as being very good at one thing. Wilkerson is very good at about a dozen, and it could soon make him one of the league’s most indispensable defenders. He isn’t there yet. But after this season, Wilkerson’s name may belong right alongside Miller, Smith, and Watt."

Wilkerson is awesome...holy hell. You guys are unbelievable...but no, league wide no one considers Mo WIlkerson a superstar yet when a guy who plays the same position as him registered 20+ sacks the year prior and plays the run as good as anyone.

Safeties aren't valuable now? You're underrating Thomas....teams cant throw the ball down the middle field because of his presence. 

The top safety in the NFL is not as valuable as a top 10 DL.  Safeties aren't even allowed to hit people anymore so the bolded is basically irrelevant.  Wilkerson helps make sure the pass doesn't even get thrown multiple times a game, nor does a RB break big runs, so I find those qualities to be far more valuable.

Wilkerson is awesome...holy hell. You guys are unbelievable...but no, league wide no one considers Mo WIlkerson a superstar yet when a guy who plays the same position as him registered 20+ sacks the year prior and plays the run as good as anyone.

You're categorically insane on this one.  He is 100 % a superstar.  And he's only been in the league 2 years.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who doesnt consider him a superstar.  Most do.  What the guy does is incredible.

And fwiw, Rex has consistently (outside of this season) had one of the best rated secondaries in the league with crap at safety. 

the same exact thing could be said of wilks playing next to the best nose tackle,defensive rookie of the year,another first round pick in coples, and a great player in his own right in douzable. mo wilks is what he is. a really good 3-4 defensive end and a great 4-3 tackle that plays with a lot of other really good lineman.

why are you opening a hole where there isn't one to possibly epically fail at filling one? how many superstar WRs are there, really? because you're not getting a high enough pick to secure an andrew luck type QB for a d-lineman, which leaves you with WRs and TEs, many of which will still be available when the Jets pick at 18.

there wouldn't be any hole to fill. the jets have a surplus of dlineman. also, what makes you believe that with the 18th pick, the jets solve their receiver problem. there is a 50/50 shot the player doesn't work out as planned

the same exact thing could be said of wilks playing next to the best nose tackle,defensive rookie of the year,another first round pick in coples, and a great player in his own right in douzable. mo wilks is what he is. a really good 3-4 defensive end and a great 4-3 tackle that plays with a lot of other really good lineman.

Pretty sure he was dominant last season without Harrison and Richardson, but carry on.

Both incredible players and freak athletes.  I'd take the DL guy over the safety, personally, but I aint hating on Thomas, dude is unreal.

The Hawks can play one deep at safety because of his ability to get to either side of the field faster than anyone in the sport. He doesnt get beat, ever.

The Hawks can play one deep at safety because of his ability to get to either side of the field faster than anyone in the sport. He doesnt get beat, ever.

I thought I saw Colston beat him twice but he looked to be screaming at someone else like it wasnt his fault.  Very hard to know what you're claiming unless you knew the D's call.  I think he's probably been beat before, just a hunch.  But I dont want to talk your hard-on down for him. 

The top safety in the NFL is not as valuable as a top 10 DL.  Safeties aren't even allowed to hit people anymore so the bolded is basically irrelevant.  Wilkerson helps make sure the pass doesn't even get thrown multiple times a game, nor does a RB break big runs, so I find those qualities to be far more valuable.

You're categorically insane on this one.  He is 100 % a superstar.  And he's only been in the league 2 years.

3 years, but who is counting

dangle mo wilks as trade bait

first of all, I don't like the idea as wilks is the best player on the team. young, talented, home grown, upstanding citizen, etc.

just throwing this out there as there is really nothing else going on

this years draft is loaded with offensive talent especially wide receivers & tight ends with as many as 15 1st/2nd round talents.

the jets are in dire need of offensive playmakers

I started thinking on how the jets could acquire more offensive talent this year and started going over the roster to see if there was a player/players worth trading.

the deepest position on the jets is clearly the defensive line. wilks, ellis, Harrison, Richardson, coples, douzable(if resigned)

pretty solid group of defensive line players

question is? what kinda trade value would wilks be worth? what kinda dropoff would the defensive line suffer without wilks?

gotta think he is worth 2 early picks plus the 10m to 12m the jets would save instead of extending him

as far as the production drop off on the dline, I think there would be some, but I think it would be minimal

remember, there is a lot of talent on the dline and you cant re-sign everyone of them. the only one who has serious trade value is wilks.

I floated this idea back in week 16, but only if Rex Ryan was fired, with Rex he has to stay because Rex builds his teams D year to year around its best player(s), that used to be Revis (and Cro to an extent), but now it's Mo, and his unit Rex is tailoring his game plans around.

Wilkerson isnt getting traded, but its interesting to see Jets fans value vs actual value.

Wilkerson is a very good defensive linemen who has the ability to play inside and slide out. Cameron Jordan is very good at this too. Cameron Jordan is not a superstar. 

Archived