how do i bring this up without the entire boards head exploding?

ylekram

dangle mo wilks as trade bait

first of all, I don't like the idea as wilks is the best player on the team. young, talented, home grown, upstanding citizen, etc.

just throwing this out there as there is really nothing else going on

this years draft is loaded with offensive talent especially wide receivers & tight ends with as many as 15 1st/2nd round talents.

the jets are in dire need of offensive playmakers

I started thinking on how the jets could acquire more offensive talent this year and started going over the roster to see if there was a player/players worth trading.

the deepest position on the jets is clearly the defensive line. wilks, ellis, Harrison, Richardson, coples, douzable(if resigned)

pretty solid group of defensive line players

question is? what kinda trade value would wilks be worth? what kinda dropoff would the defensive line suffer without wilks?

gotta think he is worth 2 early picks plus the 10m to 12m the jets would save instead of extending him

as far as the production drop off on the dline, I think there would be some, but I think it would be minimal

remember, there is a lot of talent on the dline and you cant re-sign everyone of them. the only one who has serious trade value is wilks.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.  You're going to get some heat for this

2.  I think he's a top-10 pick at the very least, who has DL need that would actually trade for him? nobody. 

That means we're stuck with the promising talent of a young, clean-nosed, battle-tested talent. 

boo hoo

Yes. I would trade Mo for teddy Bridgewater.

Except no one is going to do that.  It would be Mo, # 18, and maybe our 2015 1st or 2nd rounder.  All for a guy who is probably not an Andrew Luck.

Keep Mo, find our QB another way.  Then hopefully we'll have a strong passing attack to couple with a strong pass rush.  You know, the 2 things every Super Bowl champion since 2003 have in common.

Why would you trade a productive player still on his rookie locked in salary contract ? And the Jets have a ton of cap room. No reason to open up a hole like that.

Because you'd probably get great value in return.

I love Mo, he's our best player but he's not a superstar.

Absolutely not.

They have plenty of picks and cap space.  They dont need more.  They just need to hit on some ******* picks for once.

This.

It's amazing to me that people suggest trading our best player, but will fight here for months about hanging onto the hope and promise of lost causes up and down the roster.

Am I?  What, exactly, would be the point be of trading our best defensive player (still on his rookie deal and not in a Revis-like situation at all) if it doesn't net us fixing our biggest issue on the other side of the ball?

I'm not saying trade him. I'm saying he shouldnt be untouchable if the right offer were on the other side. If someone called offering a top 5 pick I'd certainly listen, considering the depth we have at dline.

I'm not saying trade him. I'm saying he shouldnt be untouchable if the right offer were on the other side. If someone called offering a top 5 pick I'd certainly listen, considering the depth we have at dline.

LOL I'm not arguing anything different!  The problem is NO ONE is giving us a top 5 pick for Wilkerson.  If a team picking in the top 5 needs a DE, they'll take Clowney.  Otherwise they're taking one of the QB's that we'd need. 

That's the point.  Any deal we'd be making would fall short of netting us what we want.

LOL I'm not arguing anything different, but NO ONE is giving us a top 5 pick for Wilkerson.  If a team picking in the top 5 needs a pass-rusher, they'll take Clowney.  Otherwise they're taking a QB that we need. 

That's the point.  Any deal we'd be making would fall short.

Yes if someone offers a late first round pick Im hanging up the phone. If Seattle were to offer Sherman or Earl Thomas straight up for Wilk, I'd probably listen. But that's not happening either.

Yes if someone offers a late first round pick Im hanging up the phone. If Seattle were to offer Sherman or Earl Thomas straight up for Wilk, I'd probably listen. But that's not happening either.

Earl Thomas?  Yeah, ok.  We're gonna give up the best DL under 24 other than MAYBE JJ Watt for Earl f*ckin Thomas.

why are you opening a hole where there isn't one to possibly epically fail at filling one? how many superstar WRs are there, really? because you're not getting a high enough pick to secure an andrew luck type QB for a d-lineman, which leaves you with WRs and TEs, many of which will still be available when the Jets pick at 18.

why are you opening a hole where there isn't one to possibly epically fail at filling one? how many superstar WRs are there, really? because you're not getting a high enough pick to secure an andrew luck type QB for a d-lineman, which leaves you with WRs and TEs, many of which will still be available when the Jets pick at 18.

This one gets it.

Except no one is going to do that.  It would be Mo, # 18, and maybe our 2015 1st or 2nd rounder.  All for a guy who is probably not an Andrew Luck.

Keep Mo, find our QB another way.  Then hopefully we'll have a strong passing attack to couple with a strong pass rush.  You know, the 2 things every Super Bowl champion since 2003 have in common.

Oh yeah, none of it would ever happen. Just saying, straight up....yeah, I'd do it. Would the Jets or Texans, no way. 

Archived