Jets retain coordinators Mornhinweg, Thurman

Jetfan13

The New York Jets have retained several members of coach Rex Ryan's staff, including offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, the Associated Press reports.

Ryan keeps most of his staff intact, with assistant head coach/running backs coach Anthony Lynn, defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, offensive line coach Mike Devlin and wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal all back after facing expiring contracts.

The team announced Saturday that Bobby April III was promoted to linebackers coach after serving as quality control-defense last season. He replaces Brian VanGorder, who left to become the defensive coordinator at Notre Dame.

Ryan still needs to hire a special teams coordinator after Ben Kotwica left to take the same job with the Washington Redskins.

Ahh yes Sanjay and the amazing job he did developing WR's

ST ? get Westy back and sign him for 5 years

Hill got better from year 1 to year 2.

Kerley got better.

David Nelson was able to go from a couch to contributing.

I'm not sure what kinds of results you expect. Most WRs take about 3 years to develop, and that's if they aren't trying to overcome issues like never being used as a WR in college. Sanjay is a good WR coach, he's not a magician.

Kerley got better.

I'm not sure what kinds of results you expect. Most WRs take about 3 years to develop, and that's if they aren't trying to overcome issues like never being used as a WR in college. Sanjay is a good WR coach, he's not a magician.

I agree, I dont fault Sanjay. If anything I fault our QB coach, as the receiver is only as good as the guy throwing it to him.

Kerley got better.

Completely agreed...He is not an issue.

Kerley got better.

I was just being a smart ass... APE

Hill and Kerley getting better ? Not sure that could be judged since they are both either hurt, or nursing some kind of injury in games they do play in. I think Nelson can continue to develop into a nice possession guy and red zone threat due to his size

maybe I should be more serious and call out the S&C coach :)

I was just being a smart ass... APE

Hill and Kerley getting better ? Not sure that could be judged since they are both either hurt, or nursing some kind of injury in games they do play in. I think Nelson can continue to develop into a nice possession guy and red zone threat due to his size

maybe I should be more serious and call out the S&C coach :)

It can be judged, you just have to watch them when they did play ... as opposed to looking at their end of year stats and drawing a conclusion. Hill ran better routes and showed some signs here and there that his hands improved, in particular in catching the ball away from his body. In comparison to his rookie year, I'd call it progress.

Kerley looks like a polished veteran most of the time he was on the field, far and away our best WR. 

It can be judged, you just have to watch them when they did play ... as opposed to looking at their end of year stats and drawing a conclusion. Hill ran better routes and showed some signs here and there that his hands improved, in particular in catching the ball away from his body. In comparison to his rookie year, I'd call it progress.

Kerley looks like a polished veteran most of the time he was on the field, far and away our best WR. 

It's easier to say we don't develop anyone.  Much easier.  

Kerley is the classic example of EXACTLY what every fan wants.  A 5th round pick who beats out a veteran who the HC just brought in, and develops into a sure-handed WR who can get open at will despite his sub-standard 40 time and height measurements that everyone pays attention to like they're the end-all of being a receiver prospect.  Despite the lack of straightaway speed, the lack of height, and the lack of spending time with anything resembling a starting NFL QB for the entirety of his NFL career, the kid has developed into a damn good WR.  

But it's easier to say that we just need to bring in stud WRs as though that makes a crappy QB into a good one.  

Hill, I'll be honest, I haven't seen the obvious improvement you claim you've seen.  But he was as raw of a prospect as there can be (and as such was drafted too early).  But he's an athlete, has great size and speed, and can catch.  Whether he will catch in games, or get open, is another thing.  But the fact is on paper he only had 1 "official" drop in 2013 (unofficial stat that it is).  If he ever puts it together it sure would go a long way because it is true that he has size and speed that is not teachable.  And at least in college was a very willing (and effective) blocker so he isn't going to take plays off just because his number isn't getting called.  

Whatever.  We'll see.  I'm expecting nothing much out of him this year, with about a 25% chance of getting cut outright as of today.  That number would of course change based on his offseason improvement and who the Jets get (or fail to get) in FA and the draft.

But Kerley, as mentioned, is the exact example of developing a lower-tier WR prospect into a good player.  He's just been hidden by awful QB play and then getting injured this past year.  Also Nelson looked like garbage when he first got here and by the end of the season was the team's #1 receiver (whatever that's worth, which isn't much).  But he should be even faster next season, another year removed from a bad knee injury.

Archived