Pete Carroll: "Sanchez Will Be Better Then Ever"

flgreen

And if they need a backup to Sanchez next year, we may also be able to provide another guy with about a 65 QBR.

Repeating this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over doesn't make it any more poignant. Why don't you give it a rest already? Geno Smith will be on the team next year, and very likely will be the starting QB for the team you say you follow. He finished the season strong after a rocky start and a rockier late season slump. Rex benched him, and he bounced back from that benching to play much smarter football.

His final four weeks, he went 68 for 116, 770 yards, 4 TDs, 2 ints, for an 82.9 passer rating. Certainly not world beating, but a nice finish to the season. He added 186 yards and 3 TDs on the ground over that stretch.

Weapons, however marginalized here at JN, oughta help. He was horrible when Kerley got hurt, and bounced back when he returned. Imagine adding a couple receivers better than Kerley?

Over those final four weeks, Geno seemed to finally get the message to pull the ball down and run with it if nothing was there. He ran for 50, 44, 48, and 44 yards over those four games - pretty consistent.

So with better weapons and a better mindset, and another offseason of work and study under his belt, he might actually be a decent QB next year. You should probably hope so, rather than continue with your boring repeatathon.

Repeating this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over doesn't make it any more poignant. Why don't you give it a rest already? Geno Smith will be on the team next year, and very likely will be the starting QB for the team you say you follow. He finished the season strong after a rocky start and a rockier late season slump. Rex benched him, and he bounced back from that benching to play much smarter football.

His final four weeks, he went 68 for 116, 770 yards, 4 TDs, 2 ints, for an 82.9 passer rating. Certainly not world beating, but a nice finish to the season. He added 186 yards and 3 TDs on the ground over that stretch.

Weapons, however marginalized here at JN, oughta help. He was horrible when Kerley got hurt, and bounced back when he returned. Imagine adding a couple receivers better than Kerley?

Over those final four weeks, Geno seemed to finally get the message to pull the ball down and run with it if nothing was there. He ran for 50, 44, 48, and 44 yards over those four games - pretty consistent.

So with better weapons and a better mindset, and another offseason of work and study under his belt, he might actually be a decent QB next year. You should probably hope so, rather than continue with your boring repeatathon.

OK, no more badmouthing GENO also. Sorry.

Actually, according to PFF Wilson has consistently graded out among the best nickel corners in the league for the last three years. As a starter in 2013. he was 19th best in the entire league at allowing first downs and TDs only allowing 27 on 511 snaps. 

The problem with grading a Kyle Wilson is that almost every year of his career he has had at least one guy on his own team who was significantly better than him. So to the average fan he will look like the weak link. When in reality, he's so much better than most Jets fans think it friggin' insane.

Kyle Wilson plays better than he looks. He doesn't pass the eyeball test. He doesn't ever seem to get his head around, and he wags his finger too often when the QB overthrows the receiver he's covering - but statistically, he's doing a good job. No one would question the guy if he was a third round pick. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't.

Kyle Wilson plays better than he looks. He doesn't pass the eyeball test. He doesn't ever seem to get his head around, and he wags his finger too often when the QB overthrows the receiver he's covering - but statistically, he's doing a good job. No one would question the guy if he was a third round pick. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't.

He's kinda just there. Rarely makes a positive play though either.

Actually, according to PFF Wilson has consistently graded out among the best nickel corners in the league for the last three years. As a starter in 2013. he was 19th best in the entire league at allowing first downs and TDs only allowing 27 on 511 snaps. 

The problem with grading a Kyle Wilson is that almost every year of his career he has had at least one guy on his own team who was significantly better than him. So to the average fan he will look like the weak link. When in reality, he's so much better than most Jets fans think it friggin' insane. 

Well Kleck maybe if we get rid of Cromartie Wilson will get his chance to prove himself as a starter on the outside . While I have had moments I wanted to see Wilson burned at the stake for the most part he does stick with receivers well . He needs to turn his head and play the ball more or he will get killed with back shoulder throws and timing patterns. His value as a Nickel is good. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out with our secondary this year.

Well Kleck maybe if we get rid of Cromartie Wilson will get his chance to prove himself as a starter on the outside . While I have had moments I wanted to see Wilson burned at the stake for the most part he does stick with receivers well . He needs to turn his head and play the ball more or he will get killed with back shoulder throws and timing patterns. His value as a Nickel is good. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out with our secondary this year.

I would cut Cromartie yesterday and let this kid play corner with Millner. If they want to draft another corner, fine, but I'd rather get rid of another cancer in Cromartie and let the kid have at it.

Pete says Sanchez will be 'better than ever'

January, 28, 2014

JAN 28

3:50

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

NEWARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez didn't receive Pete Carroll's blessing when he left USC as an underclassman, but he received an endorsement Tuesday from his old college coach.

The Seattle Seahawks' coach, speaking at Super Bowl XLVIII media day, believes the New York Jets' former starting quarterback can rebound from his 2013 washout and become a productive player again in the league.

"Mark has eveything ahead of him," Carroll said. "As often happens when you get the break, when you get to take a step back and observe and analyze and assess what's going on, you come back even stronger. I think that's what will happen with Mark. Hopefully, for him, it'll happen in New York. Wherever he winds up after that, if that doesn't work out, Mark is a good football player. I think he'll be better than ever."

Maybe Carroll and Sanchez will be reunited. Hey, you never know.

Sanchez, who missed the entire season because of surgery on his throwing shoulder, faces an uncertain future with the Jets, especially with Geno Smith's encouraging finish. Sanchez is under contract through 2016, but his current salary-cap charge ($13.1 million) is prohibitive. They may try to trade him before March 25, when a $2 million roster bonus is due. Failing that, they probably would release him. They'd clear $8.3 million in cap room by parting ways. Sanchez has said he'd like to return, but he'd have to take a significent pay cut -- and he may not be willing to do that, forcing the Jets' hand.

Carroll could be looking for a quarterback because his backup, Tarvaris Jackson, will be a free agent. Carroll is a longtime admirer of Sanchez, but he was publicly critical of Sanchez's decision to turn pro after the 2008 season.

how about a 2nd rounder for him then, Pete?

Pete says Sanchez will be 'better than ever'

January, 28, 2014

JAN 28

3:50

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

NEWARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez didn't receive Pete Carroll's blessing when he left USC as an underclassman, but he received an endorsement Tuesday from his old college coach.

The Seattle Seahawks' coach, speaking at Super Bowl XLVIII media day, believes the New York Jets' former starting quarterback can rebound from his 2013 washout and become a productive player again in the league.

"Mark has eveything ahead of him," Carroll said. "As often happens when you get the break, when you get to take a step back and observe and analyze and assess what's going on, you come back even stronger. I think that's what will happen with Mark. Hopefully, for him, it'll happen in New York. Wherever he winds up after that, if that doesn't work out, Mark is a good football player. I think he'll be better than ever."

Maybe Carroll and Sanchez will be reunited. Hey, you never know.

Sanchez, who missed the entire season because of surgery on his throwing shoulder, faces an uncertain future with the Jets, especially with Geno Smith's encouraging finish. Sanchez is under contract through 2016, but his current salary-cap charge ($13.1 million) is prohibitive. They may try to trade him before March 25, when a $2 million roster bonus is due. Failing that, they probably would release him. They'd clear $8.3 million in cap room by parting ways. Sanchez has said he'd like to return, but he'd have to take a significent pay cut -- and he may not be willing to do that, forcing the Jets' hand.

Carroll could be looking for a quarterback because his backup, Tarvaris Jackson, will be a free agent. Carroll is a longtime admirer of Sanchez, but he was publicly critical of Sanchez's decision to turn pro after the 2008 season.

Pete sounds like he wants to give the Jets draft choices for Sanchez, and I say Let Him. We'll take whatever you got Pete and enjoy Mr Turnover Machine.

:face:

If Kyle Wilson was half as bad as some on here think he is he would have been cut two years ago. 

You guys are all judging Kyle Wilson for not being Darrelle Revis. Kyle Wilson is Ray Mickens - a way above average nickel corner.

I agree, I think Wilson gets a raw deal by the fans here, I was just using him because there is no way in hell any team signs Gholston, Wilson being let go, and put on Cleveland with Sanchez would be something that could actually happen.

That's my only gripe with Wilson, his stupid celebrating with the not on me wag of the finger when he was clearly beat on the play, but the QB over threw the ball. Other than that he is a good player as your 3rd CB, and if you want to try him at CB 1, or CB 2 you will have to find an equal, or better slot CB to replace him.

Archived