Teh Falcon Soars Combine Edition

HessStation

Anyway, Animal.

I don't care. I passively responded to your post - because it didn't make sense to me - it was a harmless response. You were a prick about it. I patiently gave you a chance to clarify, and you made it worse.

No big deal. I wasn't expecting a high degree of credibility from a message board.

Make sure you stretch right, and what not. :)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, my original post was saying that anyone can train to run a 4.5 and squat 500. If you don't believe me, train and diet seriously for 8 years (4 HS, 4 college) and report back.

I don't know if anyone here is a HS freshmen, you just get back to us in 2 years when you get that exercise physiology degree and try to remember everything they lied to you about when you pass your knowledge on to others. 

Anyway, Animal.

I don't care. I passively responded to your post - because it didn't make sense to me - it was a harmless response. You were a prick about it. I patiently gave you a chance to clarify, and you made it worse.

No big deal. I wasn't expecting a high degree of credibility from a message board.

Make sure you stretch right, and what not. :)

I don't even remember what your response was. I really don't care.

Doesn't change the fact that any able-bodied person can train to run a 4.5 and squat 500.

I am not wrong. You took my statement to extremes. It was obvious that I was referring to able-bodied individuals, and I have since clarified that. Your strawman argument won't work (it became a strawman after I clarified and you still insisted that I meant ALL people, regardless of condition, could do those things).

WTF are you talking about?

You are speaking in generalizations, and as long as nobody calls you on them, they are "facts" that prove me "wrong".

However, when I hold you accountable to the words you have chosen, it somehow makes my argument "strawman"? 

I was, in all honesty, trying to have a normal conversation with you. This is past the point of a worthwhile discussion now.

WTF are you talking about?

You are speaking in generalizations, and as long as nobody calls you on them, they are "facts" that prove me "wrong".

However, when I hold you accountable to the words you have chosen, it somehow makes my argument "strawman"? 

After I clarified and you still insisted, yes, it became a strawman.

Clearly I was not talking about people with health issues. Clearly I was not implying that someone with Scoliosis, for example, could achieve these things. 

IBTL? If i was going to lock the thread it would have been long ago. I like watching you try and grasp at straws.

Grasp at straws? Nope. People in this thread have just clearly never stepped foot in a training facility, so they don't realize that squatting 500 and running a 4.5 is attainable by any able-bodied person (or, I should say man).

Grasp at straws? Nope. People in this thread have just clearly never stepped foot in a training facility, so they don't realize that squatting 500 and running a 4.5 is attainable by any able-bodied person (or, I should say man).

now you are being sexist. Let me get this straight, if my grandfather had 8 years left to live i could train him to run a 4.5 fourty and squat 500 lbs. He plays golf everyday and is in perfect physical health for a 86-year-old man.

I ran four years of varsity track in high school and four years collegiality at the Division 1 level. No one is denying that the average person can train to become faster and stronger, you are arguing amongst yourself on that.  What we are arguing is that running a fast forty and lifting weights in a gym does not equate to athleticism, thus, the average person cannot become as athletic as the average NFL athlete.  Merely saying that just sounds ridiculous.

now you are being sexist. Let me get this straight, if my grandfather had 8 years left to live i could train him to run a 4.5 fourty and squat 500 lbs. He plays golf everyday and is in perfect physical health for a 86-year-old man.

Once again, obviously, you're taking my statement to an extreme.

I ran four years of varsity track in high school and four years collegiality at the Division 1 level. No one is denying that the average person can train to become faster and stronger, you are arguing amongst yourself on that.  What we are arguing is that running a fast forty and lifting weights in a gym does not equate to athleticism, thus, the average person cannot become as athletic as the average NFL athlete.  Merely saying that just sounds ridiculous.

Well then...what is athleticism? 

I have seen this episode a billion times, I still lose it every time Mel Torme sings to Kramer.

The entire episode is absolute brilliance. I lose my sh*t the second he burns his tongue on the hot water, because you know what's coming. Every time I watch that show I forgot how amazing it was and proceed to watch it for the next week on re-runs. The Marine Biologist and The Laytex Salesmen are another two that always get me. 

Yes, of course. No one is denying that. I will never be Jadaveon Clowney, but I can definitely become just as athletic, or more athletic, than Gholston, for example.

Genetics do have their limit, but let's not act like you can't train your way to a 4.5 flat.

I've seen your high school reel.

No chance.

I can run a 4.49 forty and I can squat 515 lbs. how come I cant play in the nfl?

scratch that. I got my figures messed up

9.44 forty and I can squat 155 lbs. so much for riches and glory

I've seen your high school reel.

No chance.

Don't think I've ever posted it, but, yeah, I wasn't good in high school. That doesn't mean anything. At this point in time, in comparison to his combine results, I can run a faster 40, a faster shuttle, a faster 10-yard split, almost as many bench press reps, and I'm only about 2 inches from his vert.

And I have arthritic knees and bad genetics. If I can do it, anyone can.

You can't learn to run fast. I'm not talking about working on your 40 technique, I'm talking about being able to produce more power. P=MAD/T

Mass x acceleration (for all intents and purposes, we use 9.81m/s2 [gravity]) x distance / time

Strength is not a skill. Speed is not a skill. Improving your skills can aid you in improving your speed and strength, but speed and strength themselves are not skills.

TEctsYl.gif

c/p from the Olympics thread:

Wait...people actually watch women's sports?

LOL

When women can hit 450 ft. bombs out of Yankee Stadium and can run 4.4 40's while squatting 600 lbs. and trucking over Brian Orakpos, come at me.

They could, if only they trained harder. Weird how none of them do.

And why is that? Because I'm willing to acknowledge that the athletic "feats" I posted are attainable by most men?

No, it's because for a while you were equating the feats of running a specific time in the forty and benching/squatting/dead-lifting to pure athleticism, which is not accurate. Your argument that the average person can learn to run a 4.5 forty and squat 500 holds water, but equating it to being just as athletic as the average NFL individual is completely off-base. That's the crux of this entire argument.  

Archived