FA update.... those who remain

eboozer

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously yes, but they have far to many needs (left side Oline, right side getting old and detoriating) TE, WR, CB, RB... Ya ain't gonna fill those needs in the draft, 10 picks you might field a few good players if you're lucky. Obviously, long term that makes sense to build though the draft, but with 40 mil to spend, no left side of O-line, no proven corners, no wide outs...Yeah, I'd say they shoulda made 1-2 moves yesterday.  No such thing as overpaying, it's supply and demand. What's it worth to the team.

When you have a finite amount of dollars, there IS such a thing as overpaying.  Think we're solving all or most of those needs if we'd have overpaid somebody in the first wave of free agency?

Take Ware off the list, just signed with Denver. Woodley is visiting the Pats and Tate is in Detroit. Things are really looking up for us now! #Patience

I said Ware was going to sign at $10 million per and that wouldn't make any sense to us, and I stand by that now that it's a done deal.  All these guys you're bugging out about losing, were never really targets to begin with.  The only person they seemingly lost out on was Davis, but that's about it.  Unless they draft a new OLB, they're not going to sign Woodley to replace Pace and Barnes.  

When you have a finite amount of dollars, there IS such a thing as overpaying.  Think we're solving all or most of those needs if we'd have overpaid somebody in the first wave of free agency?

Giants had less than half as much cap space and have already made 3-4 solid moves.

Question is: who will be left when we finally decide to move?

I said Ware was going to sign at $10 million per and that wouldn't make any sense to us, and I stand by that now that it's a done deal.  All these guys you're bugging out about losing, were never really targets to begin with.  The only person they seemingly lost out on was Davis, but that's about it.  Unless they draft a new OLB, they're not going to sign Woodley to replace Pace and Barnes.  

Easy not to miss out on anyone if you don't want anyone. Here's reality though: we have deficiencies at safety, cornerback, right guard, right tackle, left guard, tight end, wide receiver, running back, outside linebacker and backup QB. So maybe you should start finding someone to want.

Nobody is saying to throw money at the problem. Plenty of dudes were signed yesterday that I would hardly call overpaying. Don't forget the NFL cap increased by 10 mil this year.

Nobody is saying to throw money at the problem. Plenty of dudes were signed yesterday that I would hardly call overpaying. Don't forget the NFL cap increased by 10 mil this year.

Which ones did we miss out on that fit our scheme?  I can get the safety panic, except that it's a luxury position that our D does not value. 

Idzik needs to take the stick out his ass and open the wallet, Fine, he can play hardball, draw his line in the sand and field a team similiar to the Mets the past few seasons.

you mean the same mets with bobby bonilla still on the payroll?

Which ones did we miss out on that fit our scheme?  I can get the safety panic, except that it's a luxury position that our D does not value. 

Davis and Verner woulda worked. Verner nor Davis was overpaid. The lack of production by our safeties is starting..Didn't Ed Reed lead in INT and he only played a handful of games and not many snaps?

Davis and Verner woulda worked. Verner nor Davis was overpaid. The lack of production by our safeties is starting..Didn't Ed Reed lead in INT and he only played a handful of games and not many snaps?

Davis was brought back by the Colts, who had a lot of cap space.  Verner, yeah, I can get that.  But DRC is still on the market and Revis is about to be.  And if neither of them work, I'm on board with Cromartie coming back and having a bounce-back year.

Giacommini has been rated a top OT available, no?  Guard, yeah, I wanted Asamoah, but then again, Asamoah was benched the 2nd half of the season by KC.  Wharton is still there.

Giacommini is a tweener if we are being honest. His 2012 had a dozen penalties and his 2013 was the lowest in penalties. His run grading isn't great and he's average in pass protection per Roto. 

Giacommini has been rated a top OT available, no?  Guard, yeah, I wanted Asamoah, but then again, Asamoah was benched the 2nd half of the season by KC.  Wharton is still there.

Yep, but it's getting pretty thin. You don't want to be among the teams bidding up the last guys on the market.

Wharton would be a huge add, but he's contemplating retirement.

Davis was brought back by the Colts, who had a lot of cap space.  Verner, yeah, I can get that.  But DRC is still on the market and Revis is about to be.  And if neither of them work, I'm on board with Cromartie coming back and having a bounce-back year.

I'd take DRC over Cro... Cro was beyond horrible last year bum hip or not. I never really thought much of him, great speed, but terrible ball skills, guy rarely plays the ball. I'd take any of the CB signed yesterday over Cro. I wish we would get Revis back, but I doubt Woody would ever let that happen.

Failing to upgrade from Cro, I could see him coming back.

I think he'll definitely be there if they want him.  Not necessarily that no one will sign him, but rather that all accounts were that he genuinely wanted to return to the Jets, as there were reports he had been saying it for months, despite even acknowledging he knew they would not keep him under his existing contract.  Of course he won't wait around for them, but all else being equal I think he'd prefer to come back and will probably give them a chance to match any offer he gets, as long as they show some degree of interest.

Yeah lets sign tier 3 scrubs to fill out the roster..

Or "Lets not overpay like Tannenbaum, and carry some of that cap over to next yr when we'll need to resign a few of our own soon-to-be FAs"

Or "Lets not overpay like Tannenbaum, and carry some of that cap over to next yr when we'll need to resign a few of our own soon-to-be FAs"

We don't really even have anyone to re-sign. Kerley and Mo Wilk, that's about it. We won't be losing many free agents for awhile now. Sorry, I just don't think that makes sense right now.

Easy not to miss out on anyone if you don't want anyone. Here's reality though: we have deficiencies at safety, cornerback, right guard, right tackle, left guard, tight end, wide receiver, running back, outside linebacker and backup QB. So maybe you should start finding someone to want.

They missed out on Davis, I'm pretty sure I admitted that, however, when you got bottom 5 CB play last year, it's not going to be hard to find someone to improve on that.  Right guard they easily could resign Colon if need be or focus their efforts on one of the remaining FAs: we got JAG play last year, again , that won't be hard to replace. We got JAG play from our RT, not going to be hard to replace.  Winters is already penciled in as the starting LG, they were never going to sign someone to play over him.  OLB they'll resign Pace and keep him with Barnes and most likely draft someone. 

WR, none of them have signed, they'll bring in someone. It hasn't even been a full 24 hours, sorry if I don't lose my sh*t because we aren't throwing money at everyone.

Don't confuse taking action with being an idiot. T-Bum was an idiot.

Taking an action can sometimes make u an idiot (Jets turning the Manning rock, then the makeup Sanchez contract, or Jets paying all that guaranteed money to Holmes). Who did we really miss out on? We weren't signing Ware, and we were never serious about a safety. We may have missed out on Vontae, but at 10mil per, he's overpaid. We did miss out on Verner, but he's a cover 2 type corner. We missed out on Howard, who was serviceable, but can be easily replaced with the cap we have. We still have Cro to fall back on. He'll be better than 2013 simply due to healing up. Or we can still grab Revis in a couple hours. Decker is still there and so is Pettigrew. Not that I like either of them, but they are both still available. And we are interested in MJD, finally an RB that can catch. Those 4 signings can take this team a very long way, along with the draft. Those 4 signings will empty our cap. We may not get all 4 (revis/cro, MJD, Decker, Pettigrew/Daniels), but Im sure we'll get atleast 2 if not 3 of these.

Archived