FA update.... those who remain

eboozer

They missed out on Davis, I'm pretty sure I admitted that, however, when you got bottom 5 CB play last year, it's not going to be hard to find someone to improve on that.  Right guard they easily could resign Colon if need be or focus their efforts on one of the remaining FAs: we got JAG play last year, again , that won't be hard to replace. We got JAG play from our RT, not going to be hard to replace.  Winters is already penciled in as the starting LG, they were never going to sign someone to play over him.  OLB they'll resign Pace and keep him with Barnes and most likely draft someone. 

WR, none of them have signed, they'll bring in someone. It hasn't even been a full 24 hours, sorry if I don't lose my sh*t because we aren't throwing money at everyone.

The time doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter whether it's been 24 minutes, 24 hours or 24 days. What matters is what's on the board and what's not. And what's on the board now is... not much at all.

I didn't say they should "throw money at everyone." For God's sake man, we have done nothing. It's not that we haven't throw money around, it's that we've literally done nothing, yet we have plenty of resources. In fact, all we've done is gotten worse by losing Austin Howard.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't really even have anyone to re-sign. Kerley and Mo Wilk, that's about it. We won't be losing many free agents for awhile now. Sorry, I just don't think that makes sense right now.

Big Snack, Kenrick Ellis, David Harris, Bilal Powell and Kyle Wilson. We may not sign all of these, but we'll need their replacements to say the least.

Taking an action can sometimes make u an idiot (Jets turning the Manning rock, then the makeup Sanchez contract, or Jets paying all that guaranteed money to Holmes). Who did we really miss out on? We weren't signing Ware, and we were never serious about a safety. We may have missed out on Vontae, but at 10mil per, he's overpaid. We did miss out on Verner, but he's a cover 2 type corner. We missed out on Howard, who was serviceable, but can be easily replaced with the cap we have. We still have Cro to fall back on. He'll be better than 2013 simply due to healing up. Or we can still grab Revis in a couple hours. Decker is still there and so is Pettigrew. Not that I like either of them, but they are both still available. And we are interested in MJD, finally an RB that can catch. Those 4 signings can take this team a very long way, along with the draft. Those 4 signings will empty our cap. We may not get all 4 (revis/cro, MJD, Decker, Pettigrew/Daniels), but Im sure we'll get atleast 2 if not 3 of these.

The hell with Ware, our secondary is sh*t right now to include safeties. Sure we could sign just about anyone at Wideout and that would be an upgrade over last year. But wait, we need to put together the entire left side of the Oline, get a true TE and RB and hope we get a real player or 2 from the draft.

The time doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter whether it's been 24 minutes, 24 hours or 24 days. What matters is what's on the board and what's not. And what's on the board now is... not much at all.

I didn't say they should "throw money at everyone." For God's sake man, we have done nothing. It's not that we haven't throw money around, it's that we've literally done nothing, yet we have plenty of resources. In fact, all we've done is gotten worse by losing Austin Howard.

The dust has settled, this is when the real work begins. Soon enough we'll make a handful of signings and this panic will most likely look silly.

That's Idziks master plan...Let FA create more holes, do nothing and "Build through the draft" because he drawn his line in the sand and won't pay  penny more of money that does not belong to him.

The hell with Ware, our secondary is sh*t right now to include safeties. Sure we could sign just about anyone at Wideout and that would be an upgrade over last year. But wait, we need to put together the entire left side of the Oline, get a true TE and RB and hope we get a real player or 2 from the draft.

It hasn't been 24 hrs for the FA and you are panicking. There's still plenty of talent out there.

The dust has settled, this is when the real work begins. Soon enough we'll make a handful of signings and this panic will most likely look silly.

Maybe.

It doesn't seem like the dust has settled yet. A few players off the board just in the past two hours - Ware, Beason, McCown, probably more.

Giacommini is a tweener if we are being honest. His 2012 had a dozen penalties and his 2013 was the lowest in penalties. His run grading isn't great and he's average in pass protection per Roto. 

This all sounds a tad familiar, doesn't it?  Pretty much all of that same crap applied to Howard, except Giacomini graded out better and looks poised to cost less.  Sure, it would have been great to see some sort of substantial upgrade at the position, but that would hardly be a bad consolation.

It hasn't been 24 hrs for the FA and you are panicking. There's still plenty of talent out there.

Are you Idzik or a shill that works for him.... The elite level players are all but gone, the Jets were 8-8 last year, not 2-14. They could easily put some pieces in place (elite players) and filled the rest through the draft. Instead, they're browsing in the fruits and nuts section and staying away from the steak section.

This all sounds a tad familiar, doesn't it?  Pretty much all of that same crap applied to Howard, except Giacomini graded out better and looks poised to cost less.  Sure, it would have been great to see some sort of substantial upgrade at the position, but that would hardly be a bad consolation.

We should be doing something better than signing a "consolation" right tackle who is a debatable upgrade at best.

I don't think he would be a bad consolation at all.

I don't think he would be a bad consolation at all.

They replaced on avg guy with another. it's not an upgrade,  and if it's for around the same money, it's not really a good move. It's "we lost one guy, so we need to replace that guy."   It doesn't do anything for all the other positions they need.      Instead of handling this like one of the top priorities Idzik said it was a long time ago,  he figured he was smarter than Howard and other teams and did nothing.  It kind of backfired on him as a team did pay Howard.    So instead of concentrating on fixing the Jets, they now have another hole to fill.   And we are assuming this guy signs. If he doesn't, they are forced to keep searching.

McCown has signed with the Bucs. Someone should tell Idzik that he doesn't get to keep whatever he doesn't spend in the FA market. He got cheap with Howard and he bolted - which was stupid on the part of Idzik. Howard was one of the few Jets UFA's that I felt they HAD to sign and they didn't. Now we can hope for a third tier bum to fill the hole left by an ascending player.

And the first skill position player falls.

We better get Decker. We better.

Why didn't Denver want him anymore? Because he can't get open if he is played tight at the LOS. It wasn't a money issue, the Broncos have been spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. Decker is vastly OVERRATED.

Yes Idzik's goal is tear the team down so he can fire Rex and hire his own guy.

He could have done that after this past season. Woody wouldn't have intervened but Idzik's job security would be down to one year for sure. Idzik has the backbone of a slinky.

Why didn't Denver want him anymore? Because he can't get open if he is played tight at the LOS. It wasn't a money issue, the Broncos have been spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. Decker is vastly OVERRATED.

yeah I can't understand how having one of the top WRs in football, an elite TE, and the reigning MVP slinging the pigskin can make you not value a Eric Decker as much as the abyssmal Jets.

Gee, it's amazing that Denver didn't bench Decker outright.

I don't think he's on the level some do (or some did), and he does have a dropsies reputation, but he's an obvious upgrade in an area we need multiple new bodies.  Productive ones.

$6M, give or take, is a good price for him.  I was against it when I thought he was going to be over $10M.  In this more realistic range, I'm all for it.  

Gee, it's amazing that Denver didn't bench Decker outright.

I don't think he's on the level some do (or some did), and he does have a dropsies reputation, but he's an obvious upgrade in an area we need multiple new bodies.  Productive ones.

$6M, give or take, is a good price for him.  I was against it when I thought he was going to be over $10M.  In this more realistic range, I'm all for it.  

even in the 7s he is a good pickup judging by some current contracts. antonio brown is $8.3M per. that's the top end in my very humble opinion.

even in the 7s he is a good pickup judging by some current contracts. antonio brown is $8.3M per. that's the top end in my very humble opinion.

$7M would qualify under the $6M give or take I outlined.

Even $5M for Howard, while I thought that was high, was in the $4M or so range.  Bump up to $6M and it's dumb.  You can't keep adding $1M and then $1M.  You can play that game up until Austin Howard makes his guarantee total as an annual salary.  A little more, and I can buy it.  50% more, and I think it's ridiculous.  

Decker is a far more accomplished pro than Howard.  Plus it's harder to find one of him than it is to find another Howard.  Hell, we only found Howard at the town dump in the first place.

Archived