Geno comments on Vick signing

Sully80

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith is eager to work with Michael Vick, even if it means a hotly contested competition for the starting job.

"Awesome, man. Vick's my guy," Smith said during a fan signing event Saturday in West Virginia. "We needed to find a guy that was legitimately a guy that could come in and play. I think that's what we did."

"Mission Accomplished."

Vick signed a one-year deal with the Jets on Friday, the same day New York released former starter Mark Sanchez. The Jets hope Vick, who spent the last five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, will be able to push Smith during training camp.

Vick is "going to be a guy I can work with, have a really good working relationship with and also compete with," Smith said at the Charleston Civic Center.

Smith was unfazed by Vick's comments Friday night on a conference call with New York-area reporters that he wouldn't necessarily be content standing on the sideline all season.

"That's every quarterback," Smith said. "I understand where Mike's coming from. No one wants to sit the bench. I don't know a player that does."

Smith threw for 12 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in his rookie season while starting all 16 games after Sanchez injured his right shoulder in the preseason. He drew praise from coach Rex Ryan for a strong finish in which the Jets won three of their last four to finish 8-8, but Smith expects to have "an open competition" with Vick for the starting job -- just like it will be for every position on the team.

"It's just good to have a guy to compete with like Mike," Smith said. "We're going to compete. We're not going to say, 'Hey, you're the starter.' And we'll leave it at that. We want to get better.

"I love it. It's really making everyone work harder and keep you right on your toes because you don't have a moment to be satisfied or just say, 'I've arrived.' You've got to continue to work at it."

Smith respects the opinion of Vick, who first reached out to him during Smith's senior season at West Virginia in 2012. Smith, a second-round pick, recalled that the NFL draft process and how to handle expectations were among the topics they discussed.

"Some of the things I asked him was, 'How did you deal with being the guy?' " Smith said. "I was in that situation last year. As soon as I walked into the locker room, I was expected to produce. And as we all know in the league, it's hard to do that. If you're not on a team that's already set up to win, you're going to have your struggles.

"It was more about me just having an understanding of the position that I'm in and just continuing to grow."

I must say.... Geno impressed me right there. Could have given the standard "I'm the starter until someone unseats me" BS or the wimpy " whatever makes this team better, blah-blah-blah.

He actually sounded stoked that Vick (his childhood idle) was coming to camp.

5 pts. Geno!

why?  c'mon add something to the discussion instead of just blathering out something.

And what have you added? Don't even get me started. Dude watch and learn. Or do you just blather out stuff based on your own prejudiced preference?  The guy cant read defenses, has no pocket sense, underthrows, overthrows, puts his receivers in awkward positions to catch balls, has terrible mechanics....lousy footwork, long throwing motion, lousy decision making, forces balls. Is a lousy me first type personality.     

How anyone thinks Smith has an upside as a future starting qb is ludicrous.  The only reason he even played last year was because Rex had ZERO choice. Garrard was done as was Sanchez.  Rex would have been better off playing Simms who has a way better arm than Eugene. But since Idzik drafted him, he was given the shot.  Sure there are teams that have mediocre starting qb's.  Even SB winners have had mediocre qb's. But that's not the point. In today's NFL, the qb position is singlehandedly the most important position for many reasons.  Eugene displays none of them. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/nawrocki-provides-scathing-assessment-of-geno-smith/

12 TD's 21 INT's   66 QBR - worst of all qb's . Pretty much sums it up which is why Vick was signed.  A veteran qb who has had success in the OC's system, has a rare skill set..still...

Vick is going to start - hands down.  Its not even a doubt.  Of course they have to save some face and say he is here to be his mentor. That's a laugh. You don't pay a qb 5 million to be a back up.             

Vick is going to start - hands down.  Its not even a doubt.  Of course they have to save some face and say he is here to be his mentor. That's a laugh. You don't pay a qb 5 million to be a back up.             

It's not much more than some other teams pay their backup QBs.  There are several QBs - signed to be the backup QB - who make about $4M but still got more guaranteed money than Vick.  A small premium was given to Vick over them, based on a better career than the likes of Matt Moore, Chad Henne, etc.  Plus some added premium with the cap going up (compared to the $4M Moore got last year when the cap limit was stagnant), the announcement that the cap limit is likely going up further still a year later and the year after that, plus the lack of good choices available frankly.

If they wanted him to be the starter here, they'd have extended him more than a 1 year deal.  No team brings in a QB to be their starter but then says they only want him for 1 season and won't even guarantee his 1 year salary.  Nor would they tell Vick a week or so ago that he was "welcome to compete" or however they put it, but that they absolutely would not just hand him the starting job (which is why Vick walked away from the negotiating table until it was clear no one else wanted him as the starter either).  If they viewed Vick as their choice to be the team's starting QB you'd have seen a deal more along the lines of 2-3 years at $6-8M/year (or with a $5M base and escalators that bring it to $8M or more per year if he's starting). 

Vick was only guaranteed $3.5M.  That is less guaranteed money than these backup QBs (some of whom signed while the cap limit was lower):

Matt Moore ($4M).

Chad Henne ($4.5M)

Ryan Fitzpatrick ($4M)

Matt Hasselbeck ($5M)

Kyle Orton ($5M or $6M; unclear but his SB alone was $5M)

Chase Daniel ($4.8M)

It is a low enough guarantee that if they pick someone in the draft they're enamored with to start this season, and/or it's obvious over the summer that Smith has taken MAJOR strides this season, or someone else becomes available, or if Vick looks particularly awful over the summer or for off-field issues, Vick is actually cuttable before September due to the low guarantee (though this is pretty unlikely).

I'm sure Vick views Geno's hold on the starting job as shaky, which is not a crazy view for him to have based on a pretty bad rookie season.  But the team clearly wants Geno Smith to be the starting QB.

This team could surprise.  Our D is so young and gifted. All we need is a 'good offense' to put up some points and balance out the time of possession.  Vick gives you that 

opportunity.  No way he comes here unless he didn't believe he wouldn't be starting. This was the best landing spot for him.  He knows Marty's system, inside/out.   

The money is decent for him and Eugene poses a mild competition for him which I doubt he takes seriously.  A one year deal is safe for him and the Jets.  If Vick plays average then he wont be back. If he plays lights out, he's extended another year.  At this point in his career and given his options, he can hardly argue.  If Eugene starts its just to save face, then Vick will take over, sooner rather than later. 

Archived