The 4 New NFL Rule Changes

flgreen

The NFL Competition Committee issues several major rule changes

By Michael Jaycox

March 26, 2014 1:23 pm EDT  154 views

The NFL Competition Committee has been busy debating rule changes, bylaw changes and resolution changes over the course of the last few days at the NFL owners’ meetings. This morning the committee announced their decisions, and, as always, there are some interesting implications.

Here are some of the major developments.

Passed changes:

1. Extend the uprights to make them five feet taller.

A minor change, but taller goalposts could prove the difference between winning a game and not. Let’s just hope they don’t end up getting blown over on a windy day.

2. Outlaw defenders from rolling up on the side of a blocker’s leg.

It was already illegal to hit the back of a blockers leg. By adding the side, we will hopefully see less knee and ankle injuries to linemen.

3. Allow referees to consult with a command center in New York when reviewing a play.

A seemingly obvious change.

4. The NaVorro Bowman rule

Allows the recovery of a loose ball on the field of play to be reviewable. Would have eliminated the controversy we experienced when NaVorro Bowman had clear possession of the ball after a fumble in the NFC Championship Game, but the ball was given back to the Seahawks after exchanging hands underneath the dog pile.

Failed Changes:

1. Moving the kickoff back to the 40-yard line.

A move that would have made kick returners even less valuable.

2. Allow replay on personal foul penalties.

Could have eliminated the grey area between players and officials when it comes to what is legal and what is not.

3. Allow coaches to challenge any official decisions.

Would have ensured that there were no incorrectly called plays, but could have also slowed the game down greatly.

4. Increase the amount of players allowed on the injury reserve designated to return list.

Allowing more players to return from injury late in the season would have taken away the heavy decisions that come with placing a player on injured reserve.

Tabled Changes:

1. Eliminating overtime in the preseason.

It’s obvious that no team in the NFL ever wants to go to overtime in the preseason. In fact, they will do just about anything to avoid it. Seems like a logical change down the line. All preseason overtime does is increase the likelihood of injuries.

2. Moving extra point attempts to the 25-yard line.

The NFL will experiment with extra points at the 20-yard line during the first two weeks of the preseason.

3. Permitting more cameras on all boundary lines.

More cameras on the sideline and goal line would make major reviews easier to call. The NFL would have to coordinate with its television partners to set this change in place.

4. Allow pass interference to be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

Could essentially destroy bump and run coverage. Defenders currently have five yards in which they can contact the wide receiver and disrupt their route. A change such as this would greatly alter the way the game is played.

1. Eliminating overtime in the preseason.

It’s obvious that no team in the NFL ever wants to go to overtime in the preseason. In fact, they will do just about anything to avoid it. Seems like a logical change down the line. All preseason overtime does is increase the likelihood of injuries.

I will never understand this.  Isn't the purpose to prepare and try things out?  How does having a few extra plays become a problem.  If it is, then just don't play anybody.  Especially the the restricted practice rules I would think they would be okay with some extra series

The NFL Competition Committee issues several major rule changes

4. Allow pass interference to be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

Could essentially destroy bump and run coverage. Defenders currently have five yards in which they can contact the wide receiver and disrupt their route. A change such as this would greatly alter the way the game is played.

this might be the one that would get me to stop watching. 

I will never understand this.  Isn't the purpose to prepare and try things out?  How does having a few extra plays become a problem.  If it is, then just don't play anybody.  Especially the the restricted practice rules I would think they would be okay with some extra series

The funniest thing about all of this is that injuries seem to have only increased throughout the league ever since the cutback on offseason practice time.  So much for that, huh?  The one reason I can understand it though is that, as the article said, for whatever reason teams always go out of their way to avoid OT anyway, so if that's the case maybe it makes sense to just scrap it.  After all, you always see teams going for 2 on late TDs that would otherwise tie the game and things like that.

Also gotta love that they voted down being able to challenge officials' decisions.  The excuse of it slowing down the game is complete nonsense considering how limited the number of potential challenges are anyway.  You're talking adding 5 minutes tops to a broadcast that is filled with over an hours worth of advertising, so I really doubt that's such a concern.  It's pretty much acknowledgment by the owners that their officiating is complete garbage and they want to keep it that way.  Why do I have a feeling we could all make a pretty close guess as to which teams were in favor of the change and which were opposed to it.

Pre-season is too long in general.  I think they probably feel they get plenty of time to do that.  By the time OT roles around, you have scrubs in the game any way.

this might be the one that would get me to stop watching. 

The thing I don't really get are the rules about those WR screens.  We always called it the Bob Hayes play.  Worked pretty good since I am usually the oldest guy and he was way before my time. It seems like guys are blocking DBs while, and even before, the ball is in the air.  That used to be illegal, wasn't it?

Pre-season is too long in general.  I think they probably feel they get plenty of time to do that.  By the time OT roles around, you have scrubs in the game any way.

Scrubs that are playing for their careers.  I can see wanting to pull Brady, but is it really a problem for Matt Simms to get a few extra snaps?

The thing I don't really get are the rules about those WR screens.  We always called it the Bob Hayes play.  Worked pretty good since I am usually the oldest guy and he was way before my time. It seems like guys are blocking DBs while, and even before, the ball is in the air.  That used to be illegal, wasn't it?

Scrubs that are playing for their careers.  I can see wanting to pull Brady, but is it really a problem for Matt Simms to get a few extra snaps?

Yeah, it still is (offense PI), but it's really no different than all of the pick plays in which contact is made before the reception, which are illegal and yet have been the entire foundation of the Pats' passing offense for years now.

I assumed the refs were already linked in to a command center under those review booths anyway.

Makes too much sense for NFL, why not let a ref at CC handle the whole thing, it could save

a lot of time and probably makes the process more accurate, with a team of guys doing it

and then discussing it, too many mistakes now, I think Gates scored a TD for us against the

Patriots last year, but the call was blown.

If they change this, there would be so many more penalties, the game would be extremely slow from start to finish. The flags would be flying every single play. This rule would ruin he NFL.

Passed changes:

1. Extend the uprights to make them five feet taller.

A minor change, but taller goalposts could prove the difference between winning a game and not. Let’s just hope they don’t end up getting blown over on a windy day.

Does this mean the bottom bar or the poles?

Archived