why Jets should consider Desean Jackson

joebabyny

I see some people think along the lines that we are not a SB contending team, and so why spend the money when we are still evaluating what talent we have and trying to build the team through the draft for the future. My concern is, look at what we have just gone through in the qb position over the last few years. Whether or not Sanchez was a quality starting qb for the Jets was a question mark through his 5 years on the team (4 of which he was the starter) and 2 afc championship appearances. If you look at his last 2 seasons starting, he had next to no weapons on offense, either due to injuries or poor team building by the front office. Contrary to whatever your thoughts on Sanchez, this is really an indisputable fact. I mean Derrick Mason and Plax post-incarceration??? Maybe Sanchez did suck, but can anyone honestly say he was given a fair shake with offensive talent even in the top half of the league? No. Heck, we had the worst WR corps in the league. Every year from when he was drafted, the offensive line and skill positions got worse. The worst part about this is the lingering that was done in evaluating him as a player. There was always the strong valid argument that "hey, he is not getting it done but he did show flashes and maybe with some good talent around him he could flourish." Maybe there is truth in that, maybe there isn't, but I do know the Jets didn't really do anything to find out if that was the case as they just never signed a true wr talent, or te or rb talent either. Holmes was never a true #1, just a quick guy who made his fame off of the back of one great catch during the super bowl on a team that was heavily run oriented at the time. And besides, he spent nearly a year injured and when he came back he had an erector set surgically implanted into his foot, not a great thing for a short WR making his money on his speed.

So my issue his, how can you truly evaluate Geno if you don't provide the other half of the equation. You need someone skilled in passing the ball, but without someone skilled in catching it, how can you tell what you have? QB is the most important position not only on offense, not only in football, but in all of the major pro sports. To truly evaluate the player, you need to eliminate as many variables as possible. Eric Decker is a fine WR, but he always had other explosive WRs along side him. Now, maybe he can be a true #1 and flourish as the top target garnering all the defensive pressure, but what if he doesn't this year? Is it Geno's fault or is it that Decker isn't that guy? It can be hard to tell.

A top 10 #1 wr vet still at a young age like Desean Jackson does not come along often in free agency, and even less often under circumstances that make him as affordable as he is right now. Maybe he is a bad guy, but maybe he isn't or maybe he will learn his lesson by having his wings clipped like this. But I do know that either way, he always performed on the field. You line up Desean Jackson, Eric Decker, and Jeremy Kerley, and all of a sudden you have a trio of WR talent that can hang with anyone in the league. Not the best, but good enough to win it all. At that point, if it can't get done then at least you know where you stand in the QB department. If Geno gets it done but Jackson does turn out to be a locker room cancer, then at least you know you have the right QB and you can cut ties with Jackson who was brought in relatively cheap and you can be secure in the decision in the next year's draft to lay it all on the line to trade up and grab the top WR prospect.

Either way, we can pretty definitively  know where we stand at qb, and in my eyes that is easily worth the risk of signing a possible troublemaker to the team for 1 season.

I see some people think along the lines that we are not a SB contending team, and so why spend the money when we are still evaluating what talent we have and trying to build the team through the draft for the future. My concern is, look at what we have just gone through in the qb position over the last few years. Whether or not Sanchez was a quality starting qb for the Jets was a question mark through his 5 years on the team (4 of which he was the starter) and 2 afc championship appearances. If you look at his last 2 seasons starting, he had next to no weapons on offense, either due to injuries or poor team building by the front office. Contrary to whatever your thoughts on Sanchez, this is really an indisputable fact. I mean Derrick Mason and Plax post-incarceration??? 

I stopped reading here.  No offense, but you're already all over the place.  Mason and Plaxico were not on the team his first 2 seasons.  In his first 2 seasons he had Keller, Cotchery, Edwards, and Holmes.  You are judging these receivers' talents, at that stage of their careers, based on their stats while on the receiving end of one of the NFL's worst starting QBs and a team that was decidedly (and understandably) a run-first, run-second team.  Also he got the luxury of playing with a ground attack and defense and OL that took gobs of pressure off him.  Leon and LT were more than adequate for 3rd downs and checkdowns.  I can't blame Tannenbaum for Leon breaking his leg mid-season.  Even still, there are Superbowl winners - including the one in our division - that have had less to work with.

I'm not going to anoint Tannenbaum the GM of the Century crown, but the team both had and brought in receivers for him.  Sanchez was terrible because his passes landed away from his receivers, not because they brought in Derrick Mason for a month, until his job was taken away by the only receiver still with the team.  Not because they brought in Plaxico Burress who, despite his shortcomings, also bailed Sanchez out with some pretty impressive circus catches.

Even still, I'd use your examples as the same reason to NOT repeat history, and instead build largely through the draft.  And do it smartly instead of getting wowed by some project's height and 40 time.  The last thing I'd like to see is the team chasing after another inconsistent and/or team cancer player here & there at receiver or elsewhere.

ar

Unfortunately he won't come at the discount teams had hoped, we will get Decker money

and he deserves a little more, he does deserve the 10m a year, I think the Jets should sign

him incase a 4.3 guy isn't there at 18, two 4.3 guys with Deck, and Kerly- that works.

Get it done Rex !

Eric Decker

Jeremy Kerley

Michael Campbell

Clyde Gates

Saalim Hakim

Stephen HIll

David Nelson

Greg Salas

We are stacked the WR position.

Straw man... Who said we were stacked?

The point I'm making is that paying Desean Jackson is not the only way to improve at WR.

We pick at 18 all the superstar playmaker immediate impact WRs will be long gone.

Im still in awe of how stacked we are at WR.

Ah, the famous Desean Jackson makes us a super bowl contender argument mixed with another Straw Man.

Philly didn't want to pay him 20 million over the next 2 years and are using this as an excuse to release him. I am in Philly everyday and he hasn't been an issue while he was here.

I wonder about this. I really did not hear anything about him being a bad guy, but this Crip shooting thing may have caused some genuine fear.

Yes Clyde Gates should be coming back from last years injury.

Quick!  Who had a better year Gates or Kenny Britt? 

Ah, the famous Desean Jackson makes us a super bowl contender argument mixed with another Straw Man.

Straw man? Name calling to justify your argument is so damn childish and inmature but I don't expect anything different from you.

Who are our options? I gave you the roster you defended lets hear it.

I told you at 18 all the playmaker immediate impact WRs will be long gone we don't need another Stephen HIll project when we are trying to develop our franchise QB.

Wilkipedia really?

1) Can you prove that?

2) Unless you think Jackson makes us a super bowl contender, which you might, but that would be really dumb, then immediate impact isn't want is most important.

Yes, Wikipedia.  You obviously don't know what a straw man is, so, you're welcome.

1) Can you prove that?

2) Unless you think Jackson makes us a super bowl contender, which you might, but that would be really dumb, then immediate impact isn't want is most important.

Yes, Wikipedia.  You obviously don't know what a straw man is, so, you're welcome.

Prove what the fact that all draft picks aren't always what we wanted and don't always perform to NFL standards (Jets history proves that)

Jackson makes Decker Kerley HIll Nelson and most importantly Geno Smith better and gives us a better shot then Gates and others.

His own team released him after the best statistical season of his life. The chiefs, who have his former coach running things in KC are not interested. That's enough red flags for me.

Andy Reid has enough skeletons in his own closet and he has Bowe. No one wants pay him big money because he's a small WR.

MIssing meetings and bitching to or about the QB can be just as damaging as lack of talent.  Remember 2011?

sure, in which case you just cut his ass. Jets won't have to pay much or trade any picks or players to sign him. It is not often you can get a player of that level so cheap, and it makes it easy to not have to be locked in to him long term if he is an ass.

Prove what the fact that all draft picks aren't always what we wanted and don't always perform to NFL standards (Jets history proves that)

Jackson makes Decker Kerley HIll Nelson and most importantly Geno Smith better and gives us a better shot then Gates and others.

Prove that all the impact WRs will be gone by 18.

I stopped reading here.  No offense, but you're already all over the place.  Mason and Plaxico were not on the team his first 2 seasons. 

And no offense to you, but I stopped reading here. Your reading comprehension is a little off today. I said "in his last 2 seasons," not his first 2.

Archived