Jets missed on real CBs like DRC ...

Clementi49

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed that.  was he up in bump and run or did he bail out ?

One specific play I saw of him he was on Keenan Allen. He was about five yards off Allen at the line. Allen acted like he was running a vertical and cut it off 10 yards past the line and did a curl. Cro picked that up, came crashing in and broke up the pass as it arrived. He looked like he was at full speed.

One specific play I saw of him he was on Keenan Allen. He was about five yards off Allen at the line. Allen acted like he was running a vertical and cut it off 10 yards past the line and did a curl. Cro picked that up, came crashing in and broke up the pass as it arrived. He looked like he was at full speed.

yeah sounds like the hip is healthy.  dang.  cro and milliner are both really big outside corners.  would have been nice to have

yeah sounds like the hip is healthy.  dang.  cro and milliner are both really big outside corners.  would have been nice to have

That was my complaint with Idzik in regards to the corners. I thought we might as well have brought back Cro instead of signing Patterson since they essentially signed the same contract. Both were injury prone, at least Cro was liked in the locker room and had been in the system for years.

That was my complaint with Idzik in regards to the corners. I thought we might as well have brought back Cro instead of signing Patterson since they essentially signed the same contract. Both were injury prone, at least Cro was liked in the locker room and had been in the system for years.

agreed I think that was the bigger mistake than not bringing in first day expensive new guys

DRC was the last of the name CBs to get signed during the offseason for a couple good reasons.

1.) He's not very good.

2.) He wanted a lot of money.

Idzik brought him in, made him an offer, and he turned it down. That's all fine. If DRC accepted his offer, though, that would've been fine, too. The Jets are still thin at the position this year. I wasn't all that unhappy about missing out on DRC as I was about missing on a long list of good CBs available this year. I certainly wouldn't've minded Davis at $10M/year. That's the guy Idzik really wanted, but wasn't able to close on.

We'll see how smart this all was at Lambeau this week, I guess.

Well "turned it down" is stronger than what happened. I think he would have accepted, except the Colts matched or beat it and that's where he wanted to be anyway.

Davis would have been an upgrade over Patterson, certainly, but he's not Deion II himself. Two years ago he was a very lowly-ranked CB, has shown up drunk/hung over to games (or practice; I can't remember now). $9M/year with $20M guaranteed (aka 0.75xxxRevis - lol) is a lot for a guy with his resume.

Could he have thrown $10-11M/year with $25M guaranteed at Davis? Sure. Unknown whether or not Indy would have still matched that, though, just as it's unclear that Idzik's last offer was his first either. It may have already gone back & forth where the Colts made it clear they'd match whatever the Jets offered.

It's an easy job to do in hindsight, as there was plenty of crying for any FA that was signed, but those complaints will long be forgotten for all the ones we "missed" who didn't pan out. And Davis has only had one really good season from what I gather. There are lots of players like that. Many will flop on their new deals, and some will continue to do a good job. Still others will actually get even better. But on the would-be misses, the half-assed, "OK, well so he wasn't so good," admissions are glossed over by the huge complainers, while we had to contend with the better part of 6 consecutive months nonstop about what an obviously good move we didn't make. 

I should note, though, so far Davis is playing well, though. Hell of a lot better than DRC. Granted it's only 1 game, but Davis was defending Peyton Manning's targets, and I suspect he wasn't only defending Denver's 4th or 5th option every snap.

"Vontae Davis continues to dominate vs. the Broncos. He allowed 1 catch for 5 yards in passes thrown his way. He allowed a 39.6 quarterback rating." link

Had to look this up. Even though I watched the game I was hardly focusing on Vontae Davis the entire time Denver had the ball.

But Cro looked to be done.  People were running right past him.  A change had to be made.

I didn't notice this yesterday, thanks for bringing it up. I kept trying to focus on Cro to see his play, but really was not involved much when I watched, that's usually a good thing for a CB. I saw him defend one pass but thats about it from what I saw. 

The idea of having Cro back may be nice, but he is Exhibit A in the Rex being too loyal.  He wasn't coming off the field and he sucked.  There are some statistics that backed up Rex trusting him - I think Cro's completion percentage against was quite good, but he was burned for a huge amount of big plays.  He may be a guy Idzik felt they were better off not having at any price.  A guy like Patterson is probably okay or hurt, but Cro is on the field and giving up huge tracts of land.  Cro is probably still outplaying guys in practice and teasing enough to stay in the lineup while getting beaten for TDs way too often.  

The idea of having Cro back may be nice, but he is Exhibit A in the Rex being too loyal.  He wasn't coming off the field and he sucked.  There are some statistics that backed up Rex trusting him - I think Cro's completion percentage against was quite good, but he was burned for a huge amount of big plays.  He may be a guy Idzik felt they were better off not having at any price.  A guy like Patterson is probably okay or hurt, but Cro is on the field and giving up huge tracts of land.  Cro is probably still outplaying guys in practice and teasing enough to stay in the lineup while getting beaten for TDs way too often.  

huge-tracts-of-land-o.gif

Archived