The Best Team In New York Is..

Jet Nut

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are aware that the NFL has changed it's salary cap rules, and that now money unspent in one season gets carried over into future years, right? I'm assuming you're being purposely obtuse, but I suppose it's possible that you're just ignorant.

I'm fully aware of the 4-year rule change regarding the salary cap, but you are totally missing my point.

It's all fine and dandy to be in a position to have funds available for future use. 

However, the question I posed was what if the Jets miss the playoffs this year by just one game?  Do you think that $21MM could have been utilized to squeesecure another win or two?

I'm fully aware of the 4-year rule change regarding the salary cap, but you are totally missing my point.

It's all fine and dandy to be in a position to have funds available for future use. 

However, the question I posed was what if the Jets miss the playoffs this year by just one game?  Do you think that $21MM could have been utilized to squeesecure another win or two?

In the future, when I have perfect 20/20 hindsight? Who knows? If they miss 'em by four games I won't care, and if they make 'em I (obviously) won't care, either.

Like I said, I, personally, would've liked to've seen them sign Vontae Davis for about half of that available money, but I also understand the logic of not doing so. As much as I would've liked that, I'm pretty far from convinced that move would've made the Jets a Super Bowl contender this year. And that matters more to me than just making the playoffs - as nice as that might be.

And I understand the logic of holding onto that money when you're not sure about your QB situation. If the Jets found their QB, win 8 or 9 games this year, and have an extra $33M to spend next year, I suspect I'll feel pretty good about next season. Maybe even a little better than having $20M less to spend next year after getting bounced from the playoffs this year.

However, the question I posed was what if the Jets miss the playoffs this year by just one game? Do you think that $21MM could have been utilized to squeesecure another win or two?

If they miss by one game there will be lots of reasons given that could have made up that win. But who knows what spending extra money would have accomplished. Could have had the reverse effect. It's been proven over and over again in sports that spending more money is no guarantee that it will translate into more wins.

And I understand the logic of holding onto that money when you're not sure about your QB situation. If the Jets found their QB, win 8 or 9 games this year, and have an extra $33M to spend next year, I suspect I'll feel pretty good about next season. Maybe even a little better than having $20M less to spend next year after getting bounced from the playoffs this year.

OK, I can agree with that as well.

Yes.  Yes it was.  Acknowledging that is the first step to doing better, so we're proud of you.  Let us know if we can offer you any further support on this journey of self-improvement

Let's discuss. You first.

Let me help. You're a little late to the party.

There has been debate as to whether the GM of the Jets, John Idzik is doing a good job or doing a poor job. Most people, like myself, are on the fence and fall somewhere in between. There are others who have clearly fallen on either side and use inane ways to make their point. The conversation has devolved into two word posts designed to show the other side up. This is one of those cases. But the reason for the post is so ridiculous, I responded.

Pointing to an article after the first game of the season in a tabloid that states you are not the worst team out of the two in your city when the other team looks like a train wreck as a reason to point to your GM and go "great job" and to use it as proof that you're right about the GM issue is completely dumb. You can disagree if you want and call me dumb again.

In the future, when I have perfect 20/20 hindsight? Who knows? If they miss 'em by four games I won't care, and if they make 'em I (obviously) won't care, either.

Like I said, I, personally, would've liked to've seen them sign Vontae Davis for about half of that available money, but I also understand the logic of not doing so. As much as I would've liked that, I'm pretty far from convinced that move would've made the Jets a Super Bowl contender this year. And that matters more to me than just making the playoffs - as nice as that might be.

This.  Very much this.  If the Jets have a QB, then they are a serious Superbowl contender with a few upgrades at key positions (CB, passrushing OLB, and a mild upgrade at WR).  If not, those upgrades won't make a real difference in outcomes.  So why not bank money for when it can be put to the most effective use, rather than spending it just because you can.

This.  Very much this.  If the Jets have a QB, then they are a serious Superbowl contender with a few upgrades at key positions (CB, passrushing OLB, and a mild upgrade at WR).  If not, those upgrades won't make a real difference in outcomes.  So why not bank money for when it can be put to the most effective use, rather than spending it just because you can.

So, say we don't have a QB. Idzik goes into next season looking for one through the draft. He's now sitting on not 21, but probably 31 mil or whatever because the salary cap is going up.

We have 31 mil in cap space BEFORE we either cut players or extend or resign. Let's just call it a lot. We have a lot of cap space. But we now do not have a Super Bowl QB on the roster and probably are looking for one in May's draft, going into the season with a rookie QB and a guy we know is not the guy. Do we spend the money?

We're also in year 3 of John Idzik's term as GM, he has a ton of cap space, a rookie QB. But here's the rub, we're now into the third year of the cash floor period. He's now running out of time to meet the minimum. But he doesn't know if he has a QB. He is now also on an increasingly shorter leash and if he doesn't put a playoff team together, he's out on his ass having done the minimum amount allowable by law to improve the team, money wise.

What do you suggest he do?

How the hell you been doggy?

You are aware that the NFL has changed it's salary cap rules, and that now money unspent in one season gets carried over into future years, right? I'm assuming you're being purposely obtuse, but I suppose it's possible that you're just ignorant.

From the Salary Cap/NFL page on Wiki:

The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 had an initial salary cap of $120 million. While the previous CBA had a salary floor, the new CBA did not have one until 2013. Starting with that season, each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation,[9] and 90% in future years. However, the floor is based on total cash spent over each of two four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020. A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required percentage of the cap.[9]

So basically, you add up the four salary cap maximums over the four years, and a team is required to spend @ 90% of that figure over that four year period - and has those four years to spend it. So, the $21M the Jets didn't spend this year will be available to them to spend in 2015-2016. As cheap a bastard as John Idzik strives to be, he still has to get to that 90% number over the four year term. And if he's not the spendthrift many of us think he is, he'll actually be in position to splurge next year.

If the Jets do manage to win 8 or 9 games with a young team that's under the cap by $21M (while carrying another $12M or so in dead money), imagine what great shape they'll be in next year with an extra $33M to spend over next year's cap!

I would've liked to see the Jets sign Vontae Davis for about $10M of that money this year, but I understand the logic of saving it. Especially if they were looking at potentially getting into the FA QB market next season. If they discover they're set at QB, they're gonna have a ton of resources to build a team around him next year.

I'll take some Orakpo with my Dez Bryant and Mo Wilk.

nypost.com/2014/09/10/why-the-...am-in-new-york/

About the only area where the Giants have an advantage is in the secondary, and even that did not look too good Monday night. I might owe Jets general manager John Idzik an apology if Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie continues to play like that.

Best part of the article right there.

So, say we don't have a QB. Idzik goes into next season looking for one through the draft. He's now sitting on not 21, but probably 31 mil or whatever because the salary cap is going up.

We have 31 mil in cap space BEFORE we either cut players or extend or resign. Let's just call it a lot. We have a lot of cap space. But we now do not have a Super Bowl QB on the roster and probably are looking for one in May's draft, going into the season with a rookie QB and a guy we know is not the guy. Do we spend the money?

We're also in year 3 of John Idzik's term as GM, he has a ton of cap space, a rookie QB. But here's the rub, we're now into the third year of the cash floor period. He's now running out of time to meet the minimum. But he doesn't know if he has a QB. He is now also on an increasingly shorter leash and if he doesn't put a playoff team together, he's out on his ass having done the minimum amount allowable by law to improve the team, money wise.

What do you suggest he do?

Spend money on sure things who are in the organization's long term plans (Wilkerson, Richardson [can't, too early, but you get the point]), avoid throwing money at positions that are highly QB dependent (WR, TE) and above all else, recognize that the window to win isn't open yet, so "best available player" isn't enough of an assessment to warrant throwing money at a guy just because he's available and you can afford it.

Archived