Who is making the QB decision for the Jets?

RSJ

Who makes QB decision? It's complicated -- and it shouldn't be
September, 29, 2014
SEP 29
10:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
5033COMMENTS18EMAILPRINT
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If a head coach wants to change his quarterback, as Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone did Monday, he should be allowed to make the move without having to call an organizational meeting to discuss, debate and vote. It shouldn't be as complicated as getting a bill passed by Congress; it should be a one-man, executive decision. That's how Marrone did it in Buffalo, replacing EJ Manuel with Kyle Orton. 

If Jets coach Rex Ryan wants to make a change at quarterback, what sort of role would general manager John Idzik play in that decision-making?
With Geno Smith slumping, the New York Jets could be approaching a quarterback decision in the coming weeks, except in their case it's fair to wonder if coach Rex Ryan truly has the power to make that call. He was asked the question twice Monday, and each time he gave a cryptic answer that suggested he doesn't have the ultimate authority. If he doesn't -- if general manager John Idzik is pulling the strings from his bunker at One Jets Drive -- Ryan is just a puppet coach. And that would be troubling. 

"To say who's going to outright make that call or whatever, I'd rather not say those things, but it would be a team decision," Ryan said at his news conference. 

A short time later, Ryan was asked the same question during his weekly radio spot on "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN New York 98.7 FM. This time, it was presented in the context of an in-game decision. Once again, Ryan dodged. 

"You know what? I'd rather not get into this," he said. "It's always a Jet decision and I'm going to leave it at that, no matter how many times you ask me." 

That response triggered images of Ryan calling up to Idzik's booth at halftime, asking if he's cool with the idea of bringing in Michael Vick. Idzik isn't that demanding, is he? All I know is the man monitors Ryan's news conferences and likes to stay involved in all aspects of the organization, staying abreast of seemingly trivial matters that could be handled by underlings. Yeah, he's hands-on. 

There could be two explanations for Ryan's wishy-washy response. Maybe he did it to appease Idzik, allowing his boss -- the man who could determine his fate at the end of the season -- to be a part of the process. 

Or maybe Ryan really doesn't have the power to make a quarterback change. That would be unusual because most head coaches have the contractual right to choose who plays and who sits. 

Either way, it's bad form because of the perception it creates: A head coach with diminished power. 

In Buffalo, Marrone made the decision and informed his general manager, Doug Whaley. 

"I went to Doug, I said look, 'This gives us the best opportunity to win,'" Marrone told reporters. "We talked about it. We looked at some things, and we were in full agreement on it." 

The key words: Best opportunity to win. Every decision should be based on what gives the team the best chance to win now. If Ryan decides at some point Vick gives the Jets the best chance, he should be allowed to make the call without having to convene a special session of the Woody Johnson cabinet. If Ryan is over-ruled, it's a bad situation because that's no way to run a team. 

If Ryan is forced to play Smith longer than he wants -- and we're not suggesting he wants to dump him right now -- it would signal another rebuilding year, another year devoted to developing Smith. Ryan, his players and the fans deserve the chance to be better than that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/43920/who-makes-qb-decision-its-complicated-and-it-shouldnt-be

Then the GM should be on the sidelines. More often than not, on a football team, the team decides who the QB is.

The GM determines the long term course for your Franchise.

Given there is almost no chance Rex Ryan will be the Head Coach in 2015, nor is there any chance Mike Vick will be a NY Jet in 2015, nor is there any chance Mike Vick leads the Jets to a Super Bowl in 2014, the GM is making the correct decision for the long term benefit of the franchise.

Finish the 2-Year eval. of Geno Smith, then dump him because he's dog sh*t.

The GM determines the long term course for your Franchise.

Given there is almost no chance Rex Ryan will be the Head Coach in 2015, nor is there any chance Mike Vick will be a NY Jet in 2015, nor is there any chance Mike Vick leads the Jets to a Super Bowl in 2014, the GM is making the correct decision for the long term benefit of the franchise.

Finish the 2-Year eval. of Geno Smith, then dump him because he's dog sh*t.

This is a great formula for losing. They should have just dumped Rex to begin with then. It's not 1992, teams don't need 4 years to rebuild.

This is a great formula for losing. They should have just dumped Rex to begin with then. It's not 1992, teams don't need 4 years to rebuild.

I advocated for just that last offseason, strongly. Rex should not be the Head Coach of this team today.

But THAT decision, I fear, was made above the GM-level.

Regardless, that "full rebuild" under a new Head Coach and with a new starting QB (or two) is almost assured now for the pending post-2014 Offseason.

IMO.

I advocated for just that last offseason, strongly. Rex should not be the Head Coach of this team today.

But THAT decision, I fear, was made above the GM-level.

Regardless, that "full rebuild" under a new Head Coach and with a new starting QB (or two) is almost assured now for the pending post-2014 Offseason.

IMO.

I agree with the direction they are taking and everything you are saying. I just think its ridiculous.

Rex used to say the same thing about benching Sanchez when Tanny was here in 2012. Just Semenini being who he is...

Rex on QB swap in 12: "I did have a lot of conversations, but this is something that I made the decision that I was going to make a change."

I stopped listening to you when you told me Herm was a good coach.

In terms of limiting penalties, in terms of limiting turnovers, in terms of team discipline, Herm had it all over Rex. 

There is just that rascally game management piece that Herm sucked at, and it wasn't going to work.

Herm had more going right for him than Rex does-there-I said it.

In terms of limiting penalties, in terms of limiting turnovers, in terms of team discipline, Herm had it all over Rex. 

There is just that rascally game management piece that Herm sucked at, and it wasn't going to work.

Herm had more going right for him than Rex does-there-I said it.

Rex can atleast coach defense. Herm could coach nothing.

They are both terrible. Cheer to us both being wrong. lol

Everyone likes to whine and speculate about nonsense like this. We have no idea what the chain of command is (these are questions in every organization except ones like the Pats where the same idiot that coaches the team is the GM), but Rex benched Geno last year in the middle of the game and I doubt he called Idzik before doing so. Rex can bench Geno if he wants, but my feeling is that Rex has seen enough of Vick in the camp to know that there isn't much left in his tank. Not saying he can't play better than Geno, but Rex may  honestly feel  he has a better chance with Geno.

Rex also knows that its in his best interest for Geno to develop into a starting caliber QB. 

Archived