The Nets Thread Where Tom Talks to Himself

T0mShane

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

All told, I am glad Durant is gone. I appreciate that he loves basketball and is clearly a gifted scorer, but he’s a total beta weak bitch who needs to be shielded from any type of leadership role that comes within 100 miles of any sort of accountability. When he goes into the Hall, it’ll be as the best third-superstar-on-a-team of all time, narrowly edging Byron Scott and Horace Grant. A true bitch.

1. Agreed, but very strange because it seemed Durant could make some waves with the "lesser Nets" and getting Dimwiddie and Finney-Smith seemed like a continued attempt to win now and placate Durant.  I like them both, so I am happy enough, but with Durant gone they are going to be strange bunch.  Would have been interesting to see with Claxton, Durant, Simmons and Finney-Smith they'd have been able to put  a long team on the floor.  

3. James Worthy was a considerably better third wheel than Byron Scott or Horace Grant.  So was Rodman.  

3.  Let the Cam Thomas era begin!  I am hopeful that after the break,, when they are able to field a reguler lineup and not rando G-leaguers that they will actually run some offense beyond having Cam dribble around and then chuck it up.  He has looked exhausted at the end of the last two which were winnable games.  Hopefully with the 4 or 5 NBA level players they are adding things will be spread around much more.  I acutally liek some of the G league types.  Sumner in particular seems a blast.

4.  It will be fun to root for a team of up and comers that tries hard again.  Shame they had to go full circle and sacrifice Kenny Atkinson at the altar of superstar worship.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

1. Agreed, but very strange because it seemed Durant could make some waves with the "lesser Nets" and getting Dimwiddie and Finney-Smith seemed like a continued attempt to win now and placate Durant.  I like them both, so I am happy enough, but with Durant gone they are going to be strange bunch.  Would have been interesting to see with Claxton, Durant, Simmons and Finney-Smith they'd have been able to put  a long team on the floor.  

3. James Worthy was a considerably better third wheel than Byron Scott or Horace Grant.  So was Rodman.  

3.  Let the Cam Thomas era begin!  I am hopeful that after the break,, when they are able to field a reguler lineup and not rando G-leaguers that they will actually run some offense beyond having Cam dribble around and then chuck it up.  He has looked exhausted at the end of the last two which were winnable games.  Hopefully with the 4 or 5 NBA level players they are adding things will be spread around much more.  I acutally liek some of the G league types.  Sumner in particular seems a blast.

4.  It will be fun to root for a team of up and comers that tries hard again.  Shame they had to go full circle and sacrifice Kenny Atkinson at the altar of superstar worship.

If I used Worthy or Rodman, it wouldn’t sound as pejorative.?

I was listening to an “NBA Insider” recap the inner workings of the trade, and it was his belief that the Nets traded Durant for the optics. The org looked dysfunctional and brow-beaten, and Tsai wanted to calm the waters by accommodating Durant’s wish to go to Phoenix, which I guess makes sense. I don’t know too much about Bridges or the other wing, but everyone seems to be high on them. 

Agreed on the team probably getting better and more likable with this deal. They were a lot more fun when it was just Harden out there with guys like David Duke Jr, Cam Thomas, and Kessler Edwards. Hopefully this group brings better energy and they can find a real PG this offseason. 

Also, good for Jacques to shoot back at POS Kyrie, with a little shade at Durant, too. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/9/2023 at 10:29 PM, T0mShane said:

Shoot your shots, Nets

Well, now that the dust has settled, what do you think?  They are fun to watch and deep.  It is interesting watching them try to find a lineup.  I like Cam Thomas as the microwave scorer and I am happy that Vaughn seems to know that he has to be more efficient and less of a ball hog, but I wonder  how that plays out.  Thomas can score and they sound like they are going to kind of keep him down.  4 games in.  2 Ws, a loss that come a split second from being a win against the 4th best in the NBA and an ugly loss to the Knicks.  If nothing else they are going to be fun to watch.  Ben Simmons remains an oddball mystery, but since they basically only have Dimwiddie at the point, maybe he gets to spell some and bring the ball up - say sub Thomas and Simmons in for Dimwiddie and Bridges/Johnson.   

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, now that the dust has settled, what do you think?  They are fun to watch and deep.  It is interesting watching them try to find a lineup.  I like Cam Thomas as the microwave scorer and I am happy that Vaughn seems to know that he has to be more efficient and less of a ball hog, but I wonder  how that plays out.  Thomas can score and they sound like they are going to kind of keep him down.  4 games in.  2 Ws, a loss that come a split second from being a win against the 4th best in the NBA and an ugly loss to the Knicks.  If nothing else they are going to be fun to watch.  Ben Simmons remains an oddball mystery, but since they basically only have Dimwiddie at the point, maybe he gets to spell some and bring the ball up - say sub Thomas and Simmons in for Dimwiddie and Bridges/Johnson.   

I’ve been a little chapped at Cam Thomas’ usage, particularly when they’re running Joe Harris and Ben Simmons out there for extended stretches and they can’t score. I get that Vaughn wants to keep Bridges and Johnson on the floor together, but I don’t see why Thomas can’t be part of that mix. He must be quite the pain in the ass behind the scenes. Overall, that Knicks blowout was eye-opening in a bad way, but Marks seems to have made the best of a bad situation. It was also nice of Durant to show love today for the Nets org, considering how bad Kyrie and Harden have been trashing it. I’ll always be conflicted about how to remember the Durant Times here. I think he did his best, but all of his failings were put on display, which is unfortunate

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been a little chapped at Cam Thomas’ usage, particularly when they’re running Joe Harris and Ben Simmons out there for extended stretches and they can’t score. I get that Vaughn wants to keep Bridges and Johnson on the floor together, but I don’t see why Thomas can’t be part of that mix. He must be quite the pain in the ass behind the scenes. Overall, that Knicks blowout was eye-opening in a bad way, but Marks seems to have made the best of a bad situation. It was also nice of Durant to show love today for the Nets org, considering how bad Kyrie and Harden have been trashing it. I’ll always be conflicted about how to remember the Durant Times here. I think he did his best, but all of his failings were put on display, which is unfortunate

Yeah.  I don't know what to make of Thomas.  He can fill it up, but he dominates the ball and it seems like things stagnate waiting for him.  I assume that is the problem.  I caught his no homo comment and nobody in the house even heard him.  I was surprised the league caught on.  I always liked Durant so the whole thing disappointed me.  I never liked these superteam things.  I feel like it is a puss move, but I get how the GM can't turn it down.  I am glad Durant isn't trashing them, but I don't know what to make of the other two.  Kyrie is a fruit loop, so whatever and I think most of Harden's bashing could also be considered as aimed at Kyrie, though I guess the whole "Look at me, I am vindicated!" thing is more organizational.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I don't know what to make of Thomas.  He can fill it up, but he dominates the ball and it seems like things stagnate waiting for him.  I assume that is the problem.  I caught his no homo comment and nobody in the house even heard him.  I was surprised the league caught on.  I always liked Durant so the whole thing disappointed me.  I never liked these superteam things.  I feel like it is a puss move, but I get how the GM can't turn it down.  I am glad Durant isn't trashing them, but I don't know what to make of the other two.  Kyrie is a fruit loop, so whatever and I think most of Harden's bashing could also be considered as aimed at Kyrie, though I guess the whole "Look at me, I am vindicated!" thing is more organizational.  

From what I gleaned from the various commentary, Harden was annoyed that the Nets management never did anything about Kyrie being a ****wad, Kyrie was annoyed that Durant had a direct line to Joe Tsai, and Durant was annoyed that Tsai and Marks expected Durant to manage Kyrie. Harden is already talking about ditching the Sixers after the season, and Kyrie is already missing games with odd injuries down in Dallas, so who cares what those turds think anyway. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

From what I gleaned from the various commentary, Harden was annoyed that the Nets management never did anything about Kyrie being a ****wad, Kyrie was annoyed that Durant had a direct line to Joe Tsai, and Durant was annoyed that Tsai and Marks expected Durant to manage Kyrie. Harden is already talking about ditching the Sixers after the season, and Kyrie is already missing games with odd injuries down in Dallas, so who cares what those turds think anyway. 

That's what I feel like too.  **** EM! Let's ride with Nic!

• Post of the Week 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All told, I expected the Nets to get rocked this series because they’re cushy soft up front, but Vaughn still has to be fired and Marks has to do better than Royce O’Neal, Dorian Finney Smith and whatever untalented wing he keeps scraping off the bottom of the barrel. I know people are mad at Sam Bankman-Fried, but how come nobody mentions Joe Harris as one of the great criminals in society. Also, get Dinwiddie all the way off this team. Go draft that tiny K State point guard.

Put a little money on Denver coming out of the west the other night after I saw some dope on one of those betting shows on MSG liking Phoenix cause 'wow' KD landed there. ? lol

I liked them already anyway, and they were like third or fourth rated at the time so I liked the money too. 

Just wanted to up my hate for Phoenix now for the playoffs. God I hope they lose. And they're getting a break with PG and now KL out... ffs lol

• Post of the Week 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't even take that long.  When does he come back?  Shocking that Ben Simmons didn't make it to Thanksgiving, too

Thomas is supposed to be back this week, but I get the feeling Vaughn has found a rotation he likes in Thomas’ absence. The Simmons thing is almost funny—he played a few games, then he was supposed to miss a game with some “back tightness,” which has progressively become “injury to nerves in his lower back” and they keep pushing out his return date. This was after spending all summer talking about his new training regimen and a newfound commitment to the sport and his teammates. I can’t remember which guy is was (Lonnie Walker?) but they asked him about his (Walker’s) injury and it seemed like Walker took a thinly veiled shot at Simmons by saying, effectively, that “this is the NBA/everyone gets hurt but you have to play through it for your teammates.” Good stuff. Thank God Harden bailed on the Sixers before they could win anything or this trade would have gone down in history with the Garnett/Pierce deal.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, T0mShane said:

Thomas is supposed to be back this week, but I get the feeling Vaughn has found a rotation he likes in Thomas’ absence. The Simmons thing is almost funny—he played a few games, then he was supposed to miss a game with some “back tightness,” which has progressively become “injury to nerves in his lower back” and they keep pushing out his return date. This was after spending all summer talking about his new training regimen and a newfound commitment to the sport and his teammates. I can’t remember which guy is was (Lonnie Walker?) but they asked him about his (Walker’s) injury and it seemed like Walker took a thinly veiled shot at Simmons by saying, effectively, that “this is the NBA/everyone gets hurt but you have to play through it for your teammates.” Good stuff. Thank God Harden bailed on the Sixers before they could win anything or this trade would have gone down in history with the Garnett/Pierce deal.

High comedy at this point

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This guy should be deported. How anyone in that locker room can be within ten feet of this dude and not punch him in the face is truly amazing

Founded in New York by Tex Rickard in 1926 as an expansion franchise, the team was given its name by the New York press, which nicknamed it “Tex’s Rangers”

Game starts in 9 minutes.

• 1 month later...