Sean Payton on Way Out?

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Good post. I think Rex needs to take a year off and really learn about the offense side of things in addition to looking to improve in other areas. He'll get another shot but Rex will need to have a lot of early success.

how dumb does a coach have to be not to know anything about the other side of the ball ? This is a game not rocket science. Rex knows something about offense, the excuse that he does not is getting old .... he chose not to pay attention to the other side of the ball and put things in the hands of incompetent Idiots then chose not to get them the personnel needed to succeed. This is on him for being an idiot and not paying attention and when he did pay attention early on he endorsed Drunks, Thugs and malcontents to surround his young QB. This is very much on him and the excuse of not knowing offense is pure bullsh*t

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rex is a good DC. emotions are high right now so i can understand some of the "rex is terrible at everything" mantra, and I have said some things too about his defense being underperforming (("how many first round draft picks does a 'genius' need to field an above-average defense?"), but a team would be lucky to have him as DC. maybe--MAYBE--one day he will be ready for another crack at HC, lots of coaches learn from the mistakes of their first HC gig. But he needs a cooling off period IMHO.

Rex is a very good defensive coordinator.  If he wants he can stick around the NFL for several more years as a DC and be successful.  Unlike Mangina who can't even be an effective TE coach coaching one of the best TE's in the NFL.

Isn't Rex' defense 7th in the league?

I

based on yards/game, which is really impacted by the offense and special teams.  teams had a lot of short fields against rex's defense

pts/game they are 27th, which again isn't perfect because a pick 6 by geno goes against the defense and the short fields weren't helping, but really not good at all

rushing yards/attempt they are 4th.  rex can coach the sh*t out of a run defense

passing yards/attempt they are 26th

opponents QB rating is a staggering 107 per game.  I know they faced a lot of tough QB's but holy sh*t

The Jets starting CBs in those two games were Marcus Williams, Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen.  I am not advocating for Rex to return, but the idea that he can't or doesn't coach against the pass is silly.  I don't have the stats, but last year they were good to very good, except for the fact that they (Cromartie) gave up a ton of big plays.  This year they downgraded heavily at CB which was already a weakness.  Rex has traditionally (with the Jets) been excellent against the pass.  There are enough reasons to dump him, that is not one of them. 

Didn't Parcells take play calling away from Payton?

That was Fassel - offensive genius from the Las Vegas Locomotives!

If Payton is miraculously available, it's truly a no brainer. One of the top two or three offensive minds in the NFL currently.

I would take Payton over Harbaugh...but if they're both free we really should have a legit shot at one of them....Even if you have to give up full control...

I would take Payton over Harbaugh...but if they're both free we really should have a legit shot at one of them....Even if you have to give up full control...

Even? I would gladly give either full control. The question is would Woody allow that?

I don't love the idea of HC as GM - It usually doesn't work...very few successes like that...

which is why I say "even"  

Agree to disagree then. But it could also work with Payton selecting his own GM, or at least having significant input.

if the Jets can draft Mariota and bring in Payton i'd love it.  offensive minded head coach with a pretty good track record.  just need to get a solid defensive coordinator and we're golden.

no one with options is coming to take orders from dipzik. seriously think about sean payton, harbaugh, gruden... any of those guys... and their reaction to being informed they have to ask permission before benching a player.

Archived